Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289 ... 370  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:18 pm 

Amelia Earhart’s Plane Wreckage May Be Visible in Newly-Released Images

By Erica HoMay 30, 2013

Grainy sonar images depicting a narrow, 22-ft. long object found some 600 feet below sea level in the Pacific Ocean may show the remains of the Lockheed Electra plane flown by Amelia Earhart. The world-famous aviator and her navigator, Fred Noonan, disappeared on July 2, 1937, somewhere near Nikumaroro Island in the western Pacific Ocean. Five years after successfully crossing the Atlantic on a solo flight at age 34, the airwoman was attempting to circumnavigate the globe along the equator.

First reported by Discovery News on Wednesday, the images were released by the organization best known for hunting down the truth behind Amelia Earhart’s last flight, The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR). Although the images were taken on June 15, 2012 in the waters off Nikumaroro Island (then known as Gardner Island), it was not until the group posted them to an online forum in March that someone noticed what could be the remains of the two-engine plane, according to ABC News. TIGHAR cannot definitively confirm that the wreckage is part of Earhart’s plane, although its shape and location suggest that it may well be.

Are we there yet?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:43 pm 

Vallejo Man Jailed For Allegedly Painting Crosswalk At Intersection

May 31, 2013 3:43 PM

VALLEJO (CBS/AP) – A Vallejo man was facing vandalism charges after authorities said he painted a crosswalk on a street, allegedly telling officials it was needed.

Fifty-two-year-old Anthony Cardenas was arrested Thursday morning in Vallejo and booked into Solano County Jail on suspicion of felony vandalism. Solano County Sheriff’s Lt. Brad DeWall says workers spotted Cardenas committing the vandalism at a city intersection.

They could tell he didn't work for Caltrans because he was actually working

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:40 am 

Lou Reed has liver transplant.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/ju ... transplant
Is life worth living?
It depends on the liver.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:04 am 

Caputh wrote:
Is life worth living?
It depends on the liver.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:24 pm 

FBI investigated song ‘Louie Louie’ for 2 years
An accusation of obscenity against a rock 'n' roll hit.
By Rich_Maloof Wed 4:14 PM

It was a citizen’s complaint that first called the FBI’s attention to “Louie Louie,” the rock 'n' roll staple that was a hit for The Kingsmen back in 1963.

Photo: Derek K. Miller via Flickr, http://aka.ms/louie In a letter of Feb. 7, 1964, addressed to Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, an outraged parent (name withheld) exclaims, “My daughter brought home a record of ‘Louie Louie’ and I, after reading that the record had been banned from being played on the air because it was obscene, proceeded to try to decipher the jumble of words. The lyrics are so filthy that I can-not enclose them in this letter.”

So began a two-year investigation by the FBI, which to this day is involved in fighting obscenity. According to the FBI case file, The Kingmen’s record was sent to the FBI Laboratory for analysis to “determine its obscene character,” in part by playing the 45 rpm single at the slower speed of 33 1/3 rpm.

Page 14 of the report shares one listener’s determination of filthy lyrics, which is entertaining but can’t be shared on a nice family blog such as ours. However, the FBI apparently failed to contact Kingsmen singer Jack Ely, who committed the lyrics to tape. Neither did they ever reach Richard Berry, who wrote the original song in 1955.

Singing along to “Louie Louie” continues to be a major challenge for any cover band, due in large part to Ely’s slurred performance. The vocalist has explained that he was yelling to be heard over other instruments in the recording session, and also that he was wearing braces at the time, which contributed to his infamously incomprehensible delivery. But when the record was banned by the governor of Indiana on accusations of obscenity, the continued popularity of the song and the band was guaranteed.

The parent’s letter to AG Kennedy rants on: “This land of ours is headed for an extreme state of moral degradation what with this record, the biggest hit movies and the sex and violence exploited on T.V. How can we stamp out this menace????”

Ultimately, the FBI couldn’t determine what the lyrics were, but the agency never charged nor exonerated “Louie Louie” for obscenity. Check the actual song lyrics here, and let us know who really had the dirty mind:

Louie, Louie,
me gotta go.
Louie, Louie,
me gotta go.

A fine little girl, she wait for me;
me catch a ship across the sea.
I sailed the ship all alone;
I never think I’ll make it home

Three nights and days we sailed the sea;
me think of girl constantly.
On the ship, I dream she there;
I smell the rose, in her hair.

Me see Jamaica moon above;
It won’t be long me see me love.
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I never leave again.

Tip of the hat to Smithsonian.com for flagging this story.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:28 pm 

It has to be a dirty, filthy song....

...otherwise, who would give a shit?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:11 am 

That's not news! I heard that years ago!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:45 am 

BBP wrote:

One persons news is another persons past... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:46 am 

Plook wrote:
BBP wrote:

One persons news is another persons past...

That's real deep Plook, you get that in a fortune cookie? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:12 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:
BBP wrote:

Actually it is a Plook original, came to me as I read Bonny's post...she is officially a muse... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:12 pm 

Sounds like muse abuse to me. Quit that!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:06 pm 

Pope Jim wrote:

Ouch! a papal slap, thats gotta hurt. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:24 pm 

Pope Jim wrote:

..or you'll get Plookfoot! :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:29 am 

A Canadian film crew is going to dig in New Mexico, to find the legendary Atari E.T. Game Landfill. Did it happen? Place your bets!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:55 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:
BBP wrote:

My favorite fortune I ever received stated simply "Ignore previous fortune cookie message"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:54 pm 

duchamp wrote:
My favorite fortune I ever received stated simply "Ignore previous fortune cookie message"

That's a good one! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:22 am 

I'm sure very few of us had heard of the Australian Liberal politician Scott Morrison and by the evidence of this video it's not very surprising...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2 ... ence-video

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:05 am 

HATE preacher Anjem Choudary has been filmed claiming murdered soldier Lee Rigby will “burn in hellfire”.
He also told followers that Michael Adebolajo, accused of killing Lee in Woolwich, South London, is “a nice man”.
Police have repeatedly failed to arrest Choudary over his inflammatory outbursts.
Vile Choudary told his followers Lee deserves no sympathy — but insisted those accused of his barbaric murder are martyrs.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... lfire.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:04 pm 

Jim Morrison Lizard: Extinct Prehistoric Species Named Barbaturex morrisoni In Nod To Rocker

Mention '70s rock band The Doors to today's youth and they'll think you're a fossil. They're not that far off. A newly classified lizard species, named for Doors lead singer and self-proclaimed "Lizard King" Jim Morrison, shows a surprising relationship between ancient lizards and mammals.

Tooth fossils of the new reptile, Barbaturex morrisoni (shown, with a model reconstruction) suggest that the animal was a plant-eater. Today, it's rare to find a large, herbivorous lizard among competing plant-eating mammals. Cold-blooded reptiles, such as iguanas, use a lot more energy to digest plants than their furry, warm-blooded peers.

But fossil records show that Barbaturex, about the same length and weight as a Dalmatian, grew to the same size of mammals of its age. Its body mass aided digestion, helping the animal compete with mammals for jungle foliage 37 million years ago in what is now Myanmar Barbaturex (meaning bearded king, after a series of ridges on the lower jaw) ranks among the largest fossil land lizards ever discovered, according to a paper published online today in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

The paper's lead author, a Doors fan, bestowed the famous moniker on this kingly reptile. Is it only a matter of time before we see a walrus named for John Lennon?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:04 pm 

Adrian Belew quits Nine Inch Nails

Trent Reznor said he was inspired to reform Nine Inch Nails after working alongside King Crimson’s Adrian Belew. But now, in a rather sudden turn of events, Belew has announced his departure from the band.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/06/a ... nch-nails/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:54 pm 

just plain doug wrote:

Trent Reznor said he was inspired to reform Nine Inch Nails after working alongside King Crimson’s Adrian Belew. But now, in a rather sudden turn of events, Belew has announced his departure from the band.

He also mentioned FLUX, which is a project he's been working on for a long time. FLUX is basically a program that works with samples to create music more-or-less randomly. Every time you start it, it's different.

He originated the idea in 1978; shortly after he left Frank's band. He's been developing the idea off-and-on since then. There's no word on when it will be ready.

To be honest, it reminds me a bit of Dweezil's What The Hell Was I Thinking?

...ifyaknowwhatimean...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:53 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

He also mentioned FLUX, which is a project he's been working on for a long time. FLUX is basically a program that works with samples to create music more-or-less randomly. Every time you start it, it's different.

He originated the idea in 1978; shortly after he left Frank's band. He's been developing the idea off-and-on since then. There's no word on when it will be ready.

...ifyaknowwhatimean...

Yesiknowwhatyoumean. I remember him talking about FLUX. To me it sounded like a library of soundscapes and guitar licks. How he organized it I haven't a clue, But that was what I thought FLUX was gonna be like. A library compiled of all these intricate detailed sounds that you can pick from and sample, etcetera. Cool concept. I like the fins. Just teasing AB if your reading this. He has been known to post here and there on zappa.com :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:46 am 

just plain doug wrote:

The Crimson ProjecKt needs to tour now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:17 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

...ifyaknowwhatimean...

Sounds like yet another John Cage devotee.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:55 am 

duchamp wrote:
Sounds like yet another John Cage devotee.
Ade say...
FLUX will be a kind of listening "experience". Each time you hear it, the experience will be unique and surprising. Even I will never know where it will begin, where it will end, or what will happen in between.
Since FLUX is not meant to be "commercial" it can and will contain literally anything which appeals to my ears. Found sounds, guitar effects, snippets, and loads of bits of music and songs. Every now and then a whole song will play all the way through, but most of the time songs will come to you in ever-changing pieces like a giant jigsaw puzzle. Even the pieces will not always sound the same. For example, instead of a song having the same guitar solo each time, alternate solos may happen when you least expect it. or a different mix. A different vocal with new words. Anything may happen!

FLUX will also be interactive so you the listener can affect the experience and personalize it more to your taste. Over time it will include simple but random visuals which you may also have a hand in.

FLUX: Music That Is Never The Same Twice has one more serious difference to a CD/download. It will never be finished. I intend to add to it as often as possible to further insure you'll never hear it the same way twice. FLUX is in fact a living evolving entity."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289 ... 370  Next