Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:45 am 

I like for the pure feeling of enjoyment. He makes me feel good about life. I also like his ability to stay true to his beliefs and not change to the beliefs imposed on others and him just for a profit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:00 pm 

for me it is his interest in politics and getting people motivated to register to vote.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:26 pm 

Musically speaking, he is at a level of any great classical composer except perhaps for the very top tier, I.E., Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and so forth. As far as i'm concerned, he is the only rock musician that can make that claim, leave it or take it.

His political or philosophical ideas are far less interesting to me. Particularly irksome to me is his attitude towards older music. He seemed to have fallen into the progressivist fallacy, I.E., the notion that value in art is relative to some external factor or context, such as whether the music is "new" or not, as opposed to being based on permanent and therefore immutable ideals that are outside any concern of style or progress or anything of that kind. He despised Beethoven for no other reason that his music was "old", regardless of the fact Beethoven was essentially the Frank Zappa of his day, so to speak, and so were Mozart, Schubert, Brahms and so on. And there are lot of classical composers we don't remember because their music wasn't particularly good, but by the metric used by Frank Zappa, their modern counterparts are more important than the greats of the past, for no other reason that their music is contemporary. It just seems he really didn't think his ideals through, and simply bought the whole modernist credo wholesale. And now that he is dead, i suppose we can simply throw his recordings in the dustbin of history, and pay attention to whatever is current, even if it isn't as good as Zappa was. What a bizzare ideal.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:58 pm 

mutant wrote:
The thing I like most about Frank is that I think that he didn't take himself too seriously as a musician, but he took music VERY seriously.

That's a good observation. There is nothing gratuitous about his work. He wasn't trying to "impress" others with his complexity or virtuosity, his music merely followed the ebb of his artistic vision. Sometimes it is very complex, sometimes less so, but it all fits together perfectly and nothing seems out of place or shoved in.

I'd also like to mention that his guitar soloing was on a class of its own. He could swing as well as any Jazz musician, even though is solos have nothing to do with Jazz whatsoever. I mean, just, wow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqU_iZH173E

I really wish more rock musicians were like this.