Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:15 pm 

dlokazip wrote:
"DVD ordainment & a/d/d/ Art Directions by Gail Zappa"

So, the ZFT put it together. Apparently, the just didn't know when Eagle Rock was going to release it.

Presumably because they have a/d/d. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:54 pm 

SO what IS this? the 74 stuff from the Dub Room Special video????

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:46 pm 

Jaminbenb wrote:

dlokazip wrote:
This DVD is a must-have for any Zappa fan. Here are some of the benefits when compared to The Dub Room Special:

First, there is no sign of the 1981 band. For those of you who hate Tommy Mars, Steve Vai, and/or Chad Wackerman, this is a real plus.

The guitar solo in "Montana" is NOT edited out like it is in The Dub Room Special and its corresponding CD. It is there in its full glory. Sure, it is marred a bit by the subliminal, strobe editing, but its there. Besides, they cut to Ruth's face. How can you not like that?

There are no fucking sound effects during Bruce Bickford's claymation. All you hear is music.

Fantabulous versions of "Pygmy Twylyte", "Oh No", "Son Of Orange County", and "More Trouble Every Day". Extended "Room Service", too.

The bonus feature from The Mike Douglas Show is great, even if the video is a bit sketchy. When Frank comes on, Jimmie Walker and Kenny Rogers are already there on the panel. Mike seems genuinely interested in what makes Frank tick during the interview. Frank's version of "Black Napkins" is good but subdued (unlike the fury unleashed on Baby Snakes).

The requisite laments are that there are no bonus tracks from the KCET performance itself and you still need The Dub Room Special for "Cosmik Debris" and "Approximate". These quibbles are extremely trivial, though. You NEED this. Go get it NOW!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:46 am 

Typical Frankosauruses focusing on the ball bearing mechanism of negativity and not the pure joyness and fidelity of this brand new fantastical nugget of conceptual continuity.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:47 am 

Jaminbenb wrote:

Basically, yes, and more of it, too! :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:04 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Jaminbenb wrote:

dlokazip wrote:
This DVD is a must-have for any Zappa fan. Here are some of the benefits when compared to The Dub Room Special:

First, there is no sign of the 1981 band. For those of you who hate Tommy Mars, Steve Vai, and/or Chad Wackerman, this is a real plus.

The guitar solo in "Montana" is NOT edited out like it is in The Dub Room Special and its corresponding CD. It is there in its full glory. Sure, it is marred a bit by the subliminal, strobe editing, but its there. Besides, they cut to Ruth's face. How can you not like that?

There are no fucking sound effects during Bruce Bickford's claymation. All you hear is music.

Fantabulous versions of "Pygmy Twylyte", "Oh No", "Son Of Orange County", and "More Trouble Every Day". Extended "Room Service", too.

The bonus feature from The Mike Douglas Show is great, even if the video is a bit sketchy. When Frank comes on, Jimmie Walker and Kenny Rogers are already there on the panel. Mike seems genuinely interested in what makes Frank tick during the interview. Frank's version of "Black Napkins" is good but subdued (unlike the fury unleashed on Baby Snakes).

The requisite laments are that there are no bonus tracks from the KCET performance itself and you still need The Dub Room Special for "Cosmik Debris" and "Approximate". These quibbles are extremely trivial, though. You NEED this. Go get it NOW!

Thanks! Zappa.com is sketchy as usual about content!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:36 pm 

Fuck USPS.

I've had thousands of dollars of shit delivered that never required a signature. And today they happen to decide to deliver the dvd while I'm at work, requiring a signature. Since I was gone they decided to ship the fucking dvd back to Amazon. What a crock of fucking shit. Goddammit fuck them. The notes on the online tracking said they left a pink slip with the info for me, was it in the mailbox? No goddammit.

I've already gone to the USPS site and left instructions for a re-delivery on Monday and that it doesn't need a damned signature. No wonder they keep cutting mailmen's pay with this kind of service (no offense to any postal workers that may frequent these boards....unless you work in Radford Va. Then fuck you lazy ass).

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:49 pm 

I picked this up last night.

The performances are mind-numbingly brilliant, especially Inca Roads (George Duke is a MOTHERFUCKER!), Pygmy Twylyte and Montana, which includes one of FZ's best live solos from this song I've heard thus far. The interplay between band members is hilarious and just entertaining as all hell. Like most of them, even Frank is all over the stage when he isn't playing guitar (and sometimes even when he is!).

The Mike Douglas Show bonus material comprising a performance of a quaintly subdued version of Black Napkins w/ the house band and bookended interview is cool. And I like how Douglas asks FZ mostly better than average questions.

The sound quality is stellar. The picture quality, while relatively good overall, is more than a little grainy in parts of some songs. Though, considering the nearly 40 year age of the special, it's to be expected. And it's really not that big of a deal to me.

This is ESSENTIAL viewing/hearing for Zappa fans.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

Last edited by Disco Boy on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:36 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
The Mike Douglas Show bonus material comprising a performance of a quaintly subdued version of Black Napkins w/ the house band and bookended interview is cool. And I like how Douglas asks FZ mostly better than average questions.

From my foggy memory of Mike Douglas, I recall him as a fine host. It was all about the guest and not him. An old-fashioned gentleman, with class. He is the guy who turned over his show for a week to John & Yoko in 1972, which is admirable.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:04 pm 

brainpang wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

From my foggy memory of Mike Douglas, I recall him as a fine host. It was all about the guest and not him. An old-fashioned gentleman, with class. He is the guy who turned over his show for a week to John & Yoko in 1972, which is admirable.

In the case of John, I might agree :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:30 pm 

Caputh wrote:
brainpang wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

In the case of John, I might agree :P

Agreed, Mike Douglas, Divk Cavett, Tom Snyder, maybe one or two more actually engaged their guests in thoughtful conversation. It didn't always work, but it is an art form which is rarely practiced anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:19 pm 

Finally got it today and gave it a full watch through. I enjoyed every moment. The "sketchy editing" doesn't bother me since "The Torture Never Stops" features some of the same editing (though not as much).

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:32 am 

tweezers wrote:
Agreed, Mike Douglas, Divk Cavett, Tom Snyder, maybe one or two more actually engaged their guests in thoughtful conversation. It didn't always work, but it is an art form which is rarely practiced anymore.

All 3 of whom hosted FZ, right?
Of course, Mr. Snyder's most famous show was the MANSON FROM 1981. Remember that one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0BFZiKe4i0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:32 am 

Ordered today - I'm looking forward to this treat! Black Napkins has been a favourite since I bought the Zoot Allures cassette in 1979 (the same old cassette is still playing regularly in my car). Will be great to hear the MDS Napkins in full stereo quality! Plus Frank's clothes and demeanour are so utterly cool in that show - I'm almost more excited about those 17 bonus minutes than the KCET show itself... But am prepared to be floored by the musicianship of the 1974 band, of course :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:29 am 

"Pygmy Twylyte/Room Service" is absolutely sublime. "Son Of Orange County" is a thing of beauty.

It's tempting to single out Ruth's performance, but you really can't. Everyone is at the top of their game here.

The MDS performance of "Black Napkins" is unique in both in Frank's oeuvre and in the history of American daytime television. It is a true gem.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:53 pm 

Got my copy in the mail today from Amazon! Ordered it Sunday and it arrived on Tuesday. I have watched it twice and am very pleased. Just want to take this opportunity to thank Gail and the ZFT for making it available/possible, since none of you treacherous cretins have done so in this thread, that I can see. Thanks Gail, ZFT, and everyone else involved in making it happen!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:01 pm 

brainpang wrote:
tweezers wrote:

All 3 of whom hosted FZ, right?
Of course, Mr. Snyder's most famous show was the MANSON FROM 1981. Remember that one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0BFZiKe4i0

Great YouTube vid, thanks for that brainpang!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:35 pm 

very good quality video & sound, after a couple of viewings, this is so superior to the grainy boot copies, on a large screen with decent sound ... ruth is babe-o-licious, they don't skimp on close-ups of zappa's guitar excursions, and the george-napoleon vocal combination is tops

the mike d spot is excellent; when the dyn-o-mite guy admits listening to joni mitchell & james taylor, frank shoulda said; yea, joni used to come around the log cabin back in laurel canyon & sing clean, relaxing songs; but one night joni didn't show up ...

the claymation is still cool to watch, looks like some new scenes added this time...the strobic flashback sequences were probably ahead of it's time at the time; now they distract

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:33 am 

A pity they didn't include "Approximate" as a bonus feature. But, well, it is a way of making folks buy "The Dub Room Special", I guess.
Now, what's up with the Project/Object logo on this DVD? A sign of a future release related to these sessions?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:02 pm 

Rne wrote:
Now, what's up with the Project/Object logo on this DVD? A sign of a future release related to these sessions?

that logo doesn't mean shit; it's also on the first Zappa Plays Zappa DVD.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:16 pm 

Got it the other day . VERY nice to see and hear compared to the boots out there.

Thanks ZFT !! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:42 pm 

dlokazip wrote:
t's tempting to single out Ruth's performance,

Ruth seems to be the only one who doesn't improvise at all. She's amazing, though. High-speed precision!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:45 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
dlokazip wrote:
t's tempting to single out Ruth's performance,

Ruth seems to be the only one who doesn't improvise at all. She's amazing, though. High-speed precision!

That final part of "Inca Roads", where she goes through her whole percussion set at light-speed is simply AMAZING. She could simply play anything, a pity she retired from music!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:45 am 

Is there an option for watching the performances without the claymation?

q

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:18 pm 

spm69 wrote:
Is there an option for watching the performances without the claymation?

q

No.

Pudding
Delicious

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next