Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: concert poster
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:27 pm 

As a present I got the following concert poster. "14"x22" The Mothers of Invention Frank Zappa & Lenny Bruce Concert Poster". Did such a poster for the concert at june 24 & 25 exist in 1966? If yes, you made me happy (than it's a reprint) And if not, it's a fake and from what year than is the large picture of Zappa in the background?

Greetings,

Ed_Lick

P.S. I don't know how to insert the picture. But when you google the above mentioned name you will find the poster. Please have a look at it.

Post subject: Re: concert poster
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:25 pm 

That concert did happen, whether your poster is real, I'd have to see it. When you Google Ed Lick, there's no picture, only a notice that I'm not in your circle, so you can't share any photos with me. On Yahoo search, your the Banjo Man from Boulder Creek Ca. (Near Santa Cruz & Felton)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:50 am 

Sorry, I meant googling "14"x22" The Mothers of Invention Frank Zappa & Lenny Bruce Concert Poster"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:40 am 

Look in the bottom right and you'll notice the Freak Out LP advert . Does that date help ?

Most likely a reprint : http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-Invention ... B004FOJ4RC

Last edited by pedro2 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:43 am 

It's confirmed by the gig list (http://members.shaw.ca/fz-pomd/giglist/1966.html) so it did actually happen.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:01 am 

The Mothers photo is from their '67 September London visit and the zappa photo is from the 70's.
In the full shot Zappa's right hand is up to his mouth doing something - I can picture it in my head but I can't describe it very well :mrgreen:
Like he's twiddling a handle bar moustache

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:28 am 

Thanks for all your reactions to my question. So the conclusion is that the concerts did take place on the dates mentioned, but the so-called concertposter is a fake because of the pictures in it that were taken on a later date (years later for FZ). The poster will get a much less prominent place in my boysroom than I intended at first (so I don't have to blush). But it still is a nice composition ;)

Greetings to you all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:53 am 

thenoisydrum wrote:
The Mothers photo is from their '67 September London visit and the zappa photo is from the 70's.
In the full shot Zappa's right hand is up to his mouth doing something - I can picture it in my head but I can't describe it very well :mrgreen:
Like he's twiddling a handle bar moustache

Your right TND. That's the road weariors Tour de Frank t-shirt picture. It's called mustache tweak as he's tweaking his 'stash. Sorta like a Snidely Whiplash would do with his as he's contemplating some dastardly act. Only Frank looks stoned or sleepy in this one. (We know he's not stoned, but he's marketing it for the hipsters too)
It's a reprint. That #(175) in the bottom right, might be a clue as to how many were made and maybe why and by who too.
Where's slime, he knows all about print and so does jpd!

Thanx for putting it up Pedro 2.
pedro2 wrote:

Look in the bottom right and you'll notice the Freak Out LP advert . Does that date help ?

Most likely a reprint : http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-Invention ... B004FOJ4RC

Ed_Lick wrote:
Thanks for all your reactions to my question. So the conclusion is that the concerts did take place on the dates mentioned, but the so-called concertposter is a fake because of the pictures in it that were taken on a later date (years later for FZ). The poster will get a much less prominent place in my boysroom than I intended at first (so I don't have to blush). But it still is a nice composition ;)

Greetings to you all.

Welcome Ed_Lick, nice to have you aboard. All ZappaFreaks are welcome!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:27 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Where's slime, he knows all about print and so does jpd!

Alls I can say is...
The Zappa portrait is a photo taken by Doug Metzler, and he didn't start photographing the stars until 1971.

Image Image
This concert poster is 1977.

Also, there is a guy on E-bay selling around 200 of the "suspect" posters, and he says they are reproductions.

Here is the real poster...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:49 pm 

That's nice jpd, real nice man. :wink: 8) :D
It looks like the posters we'd see on all the telephone poles around town. Boy, do I wish I'd saved a few of them. Even though Lenny Bruce had all those legal troubles and it was part of his show, I'd give an arm and a leg to be a fly on the dressing room wall with LB and FZ and the Mother's too! In those daze the gigs went from Thursday through Sunday. I wonder if they had time to hang and exchange ideas? LB was a pot smoker and more by then, so maybe not. He died that year in august too. I believe the cops knew the (sick) comedian just scored some rat poisoned smack and didn't warn him either. If you wiki Lenny Bruce there's the real poster from the Fillmore gig on his page too. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:43 pm 

8)

Thanks KK & JPD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:19 pm 

The "real poster" that Dougie posted is available from Wolfgang's Vault:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/lenny-bruce/poster-art/postcard/BG013.html

Artist:
Wes Wilson
Edmund Shea

Size: 5 1/16" x 7 1/2" <== Note: not a full size poster. More like a handbill
Price: $45.00 - $52.00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:36 pm 

...de nada Pedro. Did anyone else see the price of the concert went up 50 cents from $2.50 to $3.00 on the ....what do you call that thing? It's not a reproduction so that leaves a fake based on a fact?!

Anyway the ZFT lawyers want the monies due the ZFT due to the increase in price! Ha! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:35 pm 

Hey there Ed, I have a number of fake bits and pieces, and even though they are fake I still think there nice to have, and lend a certain ambience to the man cave/den/garage/basement/shed/caravan/bus stop of your choice....I recently used the FZ stencil many many times to "decorate" the inside back and prevously dull wall of a friends garage, secretly, in the middle of the night, I wish I could have seen his face....when he saw Franks hahahahaha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:30 pm 

Thank you guys for all the information and showing the real poster. It's a nice thought about fake bits and pieces; they do lend a certain amience to special places (i.e. my boysroom/cave). And the people entering my room/study don't know a thing about Zappa ;)
Thanks again for all the efforts answering my questionn about the poster.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:08 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

Artist:
Wes Wilson
Edmund Shea

Actually, that's the postcard,

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:28 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

Artist:
Wes Wilson
Edmund Shea

Actually, that's the postcard,

I still go this venue and did back then...well a year later anyway, I started going in '67. Anyway it was Bill Graham Productions that used to give out posters of that nights event. On Thursday's and Sunday's you'd get a poster, like the big ones we've all seen. On the more crowded Friday and Saturday nights, you'd be handed a postcard sized picture of the same poster. So nowadays you need to clarify what size it is before you purchase anything from The Fillmore daze. I'm not sure if they did the same thing at The Fillmore East as they did at The Fillmore West, but that's how it went out here in SF.

jpd, are handbills usually larger than postcards? The price reflex it, is that the case here? :?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:20 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
jpd, are handbills usually larger than postcards? The price reflex it, is that the case here? :?

A handbill, like a poster, is a product term, not a measure of size.
In other words, a handbill is something you hand out to people. Mostly, though, a handbill is anywhere from 5.5 x 8.5 up to 8.5 x 11.
Similarly, although most posters are pretty large, they can be 8.5 x 11 and still be considered a poster.
So, if you are buying any sort of printed sheet, it's best to know the size and not assume a poster is 22 x 28. or whatever. That way lies disappointment!
Thus endeth the lesson. :wink:

---Oh! As for the price, that is based on rarity/demand. If they originally distributed more handbills than postcards, then a postcard could be worth more. On the other hand, a postcard is a keepsake, whereas most people toss handbills away, making a handbill a more expensive collectable in later years.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:40 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

A handbill, like a poster, is a product term, not a measure of size.
In other words, a handbill is something you hand out to people. Mostly, though, a handbill is anywhere from 5.5 x 8.5 up to 8.5 x 11.
Similarly, although most posters are pretty large, they can be 8.5 x 11 and still be considered a poster.
So, if you are buying any sort of printed sheet, it's best to know the size and not assume a poster is 22 x 28. or whatever. That way lies disappointment!
Thus endeth the lesson. :wink:

---Oh! As for the price, that is based on rarity/demand. If they originally distributed more handbills than postcards, then a postcard could be worth more. On the other hand, a postcard is a keepsake, whereas most people toss handbills away, making a handbill a more expensive collectable in later years.

Thanx, I've got a handbill stash somewhere I think I'll take a closer look at. It's only since the 90's and up, so nothing to get hung about. :wink: 8)