Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290 ... 372  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:00 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
duchamp wrote:
Sounds like yet another John Cage devotee.
Ade say...
FLUX will be a kind of listening "experience". Each time you hear it, the experience will be unique and surprising. Even I will never know where it will begin, where it will end, or what will happen in between.
Since FLUX is not meant to be "commercial" it can and will contain literally anything which appeals to my ears. Found sounds, guitar effects, snippets, and loads of bits of music and songs. Every now and then a whole song will play all the way through, but most of the time songs will come to you in ever-changing pieces like a giant jigsaw puzzle. Even the pieces will not always sound the same. For example, instead of a song having the same guitar solo each time, alternate solos may happen when you least expect it. or a different mix. A different vocal with new words. Anything may happen!

FLUX will also be interactive so you the listener can affect the experience and personalize it more to your taste. Over time it will include simple but random visuals which you may also have a hand in.

FLUX: Music That Is Never The Same Twice has one more serious difference to a CD/download. It will never be finished. I intend to add to it as often as possible to further insure you'll never hear it the same way twice. FLUX is in fact a living evolving entity."

Unlike Nine Inch Nails...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:00 pm 

John Malkovich to the rescue! The actor helps save bleeding man's life

http://now.msn.com/john-malkovich-saves-tourist-jim-walpoles-life-on-a-toronto-street?ocid=ansnow11

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:19 pm 

Good to know and very interesting stuff about FLUX. Thanks jpd! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:23 pm 

They already got your picture...

Edward Snowden was NSA Prism leak source - Guardian

A former CIA technical worker has been identified by the UK's Guardian newspaper as the source of leaks about US surveillance programmes.

Edward Snowden, 29, is described by the paper as an ex-CIA technical assistant, currently employed by defence contractor Booz Allen Hamilton.

The Guardian said his identity was being revealed at his own request.

The recent revelations are that US agencies gathered millions of phone records and monitored internet data.

The Guardian quotes Mr Snowden as saying he flew to Hong Kong on 20 May, where he holed himself up in a hotel.

He told the paper: "I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things… I do not want to live in a world where everything I do and say is recorded."

Asked what he thought would happen to him, he replied: "Nothing good."

He said he had gone to Hong Kong because of its "strong tradition of free speech".

In a statement, Booz Allen Hamilton confirmed Mr Snowden had been an employee for less than three months.

"If accurate, this action represents a grave violation of the code of conduct and core values of our firm," the statement said.

MORE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:35 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
...He said he had gone to Hong Kong because of its "strong tradition of free speech"...

Dis boy in fo' a surprise!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:57 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
...He said he had gone to Hong Kong because of its "strong tradition of free speech"...

Dis boy in fo' a surprise!

He sho n'uff is! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:07 am 

^^
US spy leaker Edward Snowden leaves Hong Kong hotel

An ex-CIA employee who leaked details of US top-secret phone and internet surveillance has disappeared from his hotel in Hong Kong.

Edward Snowden, 29, checked out from his hotel on Monday. His whereabouts are unknown, but he is believed to be still in Hong Kong.

Earlier, he said he had an "obligation to help free people from oppression".

It emerged last week that US agencies were gathering millions of phone records and monitoring internet data.

A spokesman for the US Office of the Director of National Intelligence said the case had been referred to the Department of Justice as a criminal matter.

MORE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:34 am 

A couple NASA scientists have now refuted co2 effects on the atmosphere and global warming, yes dear friends , they are convinced the carbon factor is well, not a factor, and in fact extra carbon seems to cool the planet. You most likely wont see a lot on national news on this as they have been in the man made global warming camp from the beginning, them as well as government payed scientists. This has been a giant cash cow for them. Related to this, Al Gore , the guy that still says the worlds oceans will rise so much in the next 8 years; that folks in san francisco will be under water, has just purchased a multi million dollar mansion in the bay area flood zone. Can we say fraud.
Factoid, the oceans have been rising since the end of the last ice age.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:10 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Jim Morrison Lizard: Extinct Prehistoric Species Named Barbaturex morrisoni In Nod To Rocker

Mention '70s rock band The Doors to today's youth and they'll think you're a fossil. They're not that far off. A newly classified lizard species, named for Doors lead singer and self-proclaimed "Lizard King" Jim Morrison, shows a surprising relationship between ancient lizards and mammals.

Tooth fossils of the new reptile, Barbaturex morrisoni (shown, with a model reconstruction) suggest that the animal was a plant-eater. Today, it's rare to find a large, herbivorous lizard among competing plant-eating mammals. Cold-blooded reptiles, such as iguanas, use a lot more energy to digest plants than their furry, warm-blooded peers.

But fossil records show that Barbaturex, about the same length and weight as a Dalmatian, grew to the same size of mammals of its age. Its body mass aided digestion, helping the animal compete with mammals for jungle foliage 37 million years ago in what is now Myanmar Barbaturex (meaning bearded king, after a series of ridges on the lower jaw) ranks among the largest fossil land lizards ever discovered, according to a paper published online today in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

The paper's lead author, a Doors fan, bestowed the famous moniker on this kingly reptile. Is it only a matter of time before we see a walrus named for John Lennon?

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130521-animals-named-after-famous-people
Check the link for a spider of destiny surprise (or not)...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:48 am 

Pretty cool Mr. GG! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:06 am 

Most Americans Support Being Spied on by NSA

“Good German” syndrome runs rampant as government becomes tyrannical

NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden has sacrificed his freedom, his future, his family, his home and his model girlfriend in order to warn Americans that they are the targets of a monolithic spy agency which is working feverishly to ensure that privacy is demolished – and most Americans simply don’t care.

Revelations that the National Security Agency was collecting records of millions of US customers of Verizon under a secret court order issued in April, followed by news that the NSA was also pulling private data “directly from the servers” of major US service providers such as Google and Facebook, stoked international condemnation, but not from American citizens, most of whom actually support the idea.

“A majority of Americans – 56% – say the National Security Agency’s (NSA) program tracking the telephone records of millions of Americans is an acceptable way for the government to investigate terrorism,” reports Pew Research Center.

A comparison with a previous poll from January 2006 highlights the fact that more Americans are now likely to support NSA surveillance despite the huge scandal it caused for the Bush administration. Under Bush, 47% found NSA wiretapping of Americans unacceptable whereas just 41% find it unacceptable under Obama.

The poll also finds that whereas 61% of Democrats found blanket NSA surveillance unacceptable under Bush, only 34% oppose it under Obama – underscoring once again how partisanship is used to dismantle American freedoms no matter who is in office.

The survey also reveals that just one on four Americans are following the NSA story “very closely,” whereas the other 73% are presumably more interested in the release of the new XBox and season 17 of Dancing With the Stars.

“Sorry Edward Snowden: you just threw your life away for nothing. The sheep have been properly and thoroughly conditioned and brainwashed, which is why they continue to get precisely the government they so rightfully deserve,” writes Zero Hedge.

While the NSA sites the necessity to stop “terrorism” as its justification for eviscerating the 4th Amendment, the Obama administration is simultaneously supporting Al-Qaeda terrorists in Syria, many of whom have promised to attack the United States once they have finished with Bashar Al-Assad.

The irony of Snowden having to run to Communist China to escape from “the land of the free” is a chilling subtext to the story. Other authoritarian regimes throughout history have also cited security threats as a reason to put the entire population under surveillance.

As Robert Gellately of Florida State University has highlighted, Germans under Hitler spied on and denounced their neighbors and friends not because they genuinely believed them to be a security threat, but because they expected to selfishly benefit from doing so, both financially, socially and psychologically via a pavlovian need to be rewarded by their masters for their obedience.

That “Good German” syndrome is very much alive and kicking amongst Americans today, most of whom seem to be completely at ease with the fact that their government is becoming tyrannical while willing to make any excuse imaginable to deny that the United States is beginning to resemble a high-tech plutocracy which treats its own citizens as the enemy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:05 pm 

Well, now the ACLU is going after Obama!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:11 pm 

As much as it's frightening news about the NSA data collecting, lets be real...

Data collecting and sharing by big business and the banking industry, insurance industry and even local law enforcement has been going on long before the Patriot Act and 9/11. For most people, your employer has access to your legal and financial information from the first day you get hired. You would have to be naive to NOT believe that the government has been stockpiling data since before the Cold War. The folks on the Right who have it out for the Obama administration and believe this is some sort of newfangled controversey, is just another phoney attempt to go after the "black" man in office, and have no issue with the fact the the GOP wing of Congress voted almost unanimously for this, but now only take issue with it because there is a non-caucasion Democrat in office.

Domestic Surveillance Could Create a Divide in the 2016 Primaries

Take, for example, the House’s vote in May 2011 to extend certain provisions of the Patriot Act — including the so-called library records provision that the government has used to defend the legality of sweeping searches of telephone and e-mail records. The bill passed with 250 yes votes in the House against 153 no votes (my note - of the 153 no votes, 122 of them were by Democrats. Additionally, 16 Democrats didn't vote.), receiving more of its support from Republicans.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.co ... f=politics

Same old... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raEex1yAW7w ... and ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpFarl4moTg ... and ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TW1v78hthk ... and ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3SeeGzCu4M

Question for Bravo Sierra....did you vote for Vick Berg (R) ND?

Question for Little Sally....I assume your from Oregon from one of your posts. I notice that he one Republican Congressman from your state voted Yes for the Patriot Act extensions, and ALL of he Democrats voted No for it. Which Congressional district did you vote in and for whom? I you voted against the Democrats, you voted against the No vote...in turn, if you voted for the one Republican, you voted for the Yes vote.

...it's no wonder why most Republicans are now backtracking on their condemnation of the non-caucason president realising that they voted for the data stockpiling. Hypocracy at it's pathetic core. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:18 pm 

There's been an exam fraud here. 15 final exams for high school were stolen from a school in Rotterdam. All the pupils at that school have to do replacing exams, perhaps all school kids in the country have to.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:43 pm 

BBP wrote:
There's been an exam fraud here. 15 final exams for high school were stolen from a school in Rotterdam. All the pupils at that school have to do replacing exams, perhaps all school kids in the country have to.

We call that Tuesday in the US... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:30 am 

SB the hypocrisy is Obama; as he and his vp campaigned against data mining in fact they said that they would stop it but...as we now see ,obama signed the order to expand the patriot act, if you were concerned you would know that the issue before us now is whether they are collecting e mail data as the whistleblower claims, and again you are so quick to think you know it all, I live in South Dakota.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:32 am 

SPACEBROTHER forum entity apologist for despots:

Your employer can access your records because you specifically checked the box allowing it. They must have your permission.

O yeah, the data mining has been going on for years, but whenever I mentioned it before, I was labeled a "conspiracy whacko". Now that it's all out, apologists like SPACEBROTHER forum entity declare it good, and all complaints regarding it "racist"! The motherfuckers are recording our every move, and SPACEBROTHER forum entity still thinks it is some kind of "left-right" political issue.

Incredible.

It's Us vs Them, shill...how much do they pay SPACEBROTHER forum entity participants to flail at the feet of their lord and master dictator forever?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:39 am 

Yea I find it hard to believe that Sb is a single human, most posts are irrational reprints of news articles, I still call for the SB entity to be banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:48 am 

Here's some links for breakfast...

This guy got a visit from the Secret Service after he made some Twitter posts criticizing the pResdient:

http://www.examiner.com/article/secret- ... of-twitter

Ron Paul thinks Snowden might get droned:

http://rinf.com/alt-news/latest-news/ro ... one/41172/

It wouldn't surprise me.

Anger is rising in Congress, if that means anything:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ju ... programmes

For those that do not understand the implications of government monitoring of our lives, pick up a book about the East German Stazi, or read about Chinese "minders".

The new terrorist is the conservative guy down the street that has a collection of guns. This is who the "liberals" see as the enemy...it's very clear from SPACEBROTHER forum entity's posts that the people in power now view the normal opposition as
combatants.

It could get very ugly, all in the name of our "security".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:49 am 

Yeah, BRAVO...SPACEBROTHER posts always sound like they are taken straight from this morning's talking-points memo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:52 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
SB the hypocrisy is Obama; as he and his vp campaigned against data mining in fact they said that they would stop it but...as we now see ,obama signed the order to expand the patriot act, if you were concerned you would know that the issue before us now is whether they are collecting e mail data as the whistleblower claims, and again you are so quick to think you know it all, I live in South Dakota.

Okay BS...so you live in SD. Did you vote for Kristi Noem (R) SD?

For the folks here who like to wave a free market society capitalist flag aound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqZaQKsk ... 9mBTgWmSTI ....is it still free market capitalism when the free market multi-national corporations, who mined the data in the first place, hand it over to the gov't? You chumps aren't as smart as you thought you were. :roll: yeah, I'm looking a you Disco Douche If you're a Liberatarian, I suppose that regulating businesses from data collecting and stockpiling is Socialism :roll: :roll: dumbfucks

Remember this...if the corporations didn't gather and store the data in the first place, and if another 49 Congressional Republicunts would have joined the 122 Democrats the 31 Republicans who have balls who voted NO on the renewal and expansion of the Patriot act, that Bush and the Republicunt controlled House and Senate passed in the first place, this would be a non-issue.

Democrats are justifyably angry and disappointed with the spying on US citizens, but the Republicunts that are now piling on Obama for what THEIR party created in the first place, are nothing but a bunch of hypocritical racist fucktards.

The breakdown of the votes... http://politics.nytimes.com/congress/vo ... ouse/1/376

...and after your done looking at the vote count, here's a lil' song fer ya... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqZaQKsk ... 9mBTgWmSTI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:03 pm 

I have been telling you allthey capture anything and have access to everything, I was involved in adding some of the equipment, this is nothing new and well known..whats the issue?... :?

:smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:42 pm 

The issue is if e mail is collected.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:49 pm 

From Adrian Belew's Facebook page:

"thinking I was leaving for a year or so, I asked a neighbor of mine to sell one of my cars and agreed to pay him for doing so. he's a real nice gentleman named John who is retired and loves to tinker with cars. the car is a little silver two-seater sports car called a Vitesse. a unique custom-bodied car I've owned for 20 years. irreplacable really.

this morning John called to say that yesterday a 25-year old guy wanted to test drive the car so he and John took the car for a quick 3-minute spin. the 25-year old promptly and inexplicably ran off the road, over an embankment, and smashed into a tree. the car was totaled, the 25-year old was unharmed, but my friend John was hospitalized with 8 broken ribs!

one of those days."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:59 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
The issue is if e mail is collected.

Every E-mail that hits at the very least a Hub site in the US goes thru the NSA filter… :o

Could you imagine the logistical nightmare that creates... :?

I don't know if you ever saw the show Person of Interest, but they use a machine similar to that (although the shows version is over the top), it is semi intelligent and keeps filtering the "captures' until it reaches human Intel for review... :shock:

Scary stuff...are you interesting enough to be "Captured" and filtered, if so that answers why you don't like it… :smoke:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290 ... 372  Next