Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:50 am 

This piece from the Fillmore East album only really turns into Little House after a couple of minutes.
What's the deal with the first piece of music? Is it unique to this show or tour and do you think it was written by FZ specifically for Little House?

Ps; Whilst I'm thinking about it why didn't Underwood play any sax on Peaches on this recording? Couldn't Bob Harris have taken over some of the keyboard work?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:01 pm 

the secondary intro theme is unique to this arrangement

your pal, biffy the elephant shrew wrote:
... this is structurally similar to the previous version, but the introductory sequence has acquired a secondary theme - actually a greatly slowed down variation of the opening unison riff ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:33 am 

The first introductory theme was already there in a slightly different shape for the 1969 tour as well. Who knows why FZ canned that from the BWS. However, it should be noted that the "Little Chamber Music I Used To Play" bit (13.35-14.48 or so) on BWS features a guitar quotation from that introductory theme.

As for why Ian didn't play sax, well my theory is that in 1970 FZ made a decision to rewrite much of the live material for two keyboards, that used to be for two saxophones (Bunk and Ian). I guess FZ was going for scaled down arrangements, as opposed to the ending days of 1969 MOI where he had two drummers, vibraphone and all kinds of electrified woodwinds. Already the Hot Rats tour of 1970 featured pieces like "Pound for a Brown" and "King Kong" played on Fender Rhodes piano and only a couple of Ian's solos on sax. For the March 7 1970 show with Sugarcane Harris, it seemed that FZ may have considered the possibility to allow Harris' violin to pick up the slack left by the missing horns. Compare "Interlude" at the end of "Twinkle Tits" with the 1969 version of "Interlude", as well as "Little House" quote in "Twinkle Tits" itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:26 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
The first introductory theme was already there in a slightly different shape for the 1969 tour as well. Who knows why FZ canned that from the BWS. However, it should be noted that the "Little Chamber Music I Used To Play" bit (13.35-14.48 or so) on BWS features a guitar quotation from that introductory theme.

As for why Ian didn't play sax, well my theory is that in 1970 FZ made a decision to rewrite much of the live material for two keyboards, that used to be for two saxophones (Bunk and Ian). I guess FZ was going for scaled down arrangements, as opposed to the ending days of 1969 MOI where he had two drummers, vibraphone and all kinds of electrified woodwinds. Already the Hot Rats tour of 1970 featured pieces like "Pound for a Brown" and "King Kong" played on Fender Rhodes piano and only a couple of Ian's solos on sax. For the March 7 1970 show with Sugarcane Harris, it seemed that FZ may have considered the possibility to allow Harris' violin to pick up the slack left by the missing horns. Compare "Interlude" at the end of "Twinkle Tits" with the 1969 version of "Interlude", as well as "Little House" quote in "Twinkle Tits" itself.

Great stuff, thanks Ed.
I must listen to BWS at that point (13:35-14:48) as I have never noticed it before.
8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:54 pm 

meanwhile, the IINK entry of LHIUTLI has got an informative table about the overlaps between many versions within many different movements. http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/songs/Li ... ve_In.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:05 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
meanwhile, the IINK entry of LHIUTLI has got an informative table about the overlaps between many versions within many different movements. http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/songs/Li ... ve_In.html

I had a listen last night and I see what you mean. I love that section but I'd never considered it in that way before.
Thanks for the link too