Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:03 pm 

I'll def. be snagging a copy when it drops. The Flo & Eddie era are what sucked me into Frank's music (until I got the Live in N.Y. album).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:46 am 

Just pre-ordered my copy.
That's gonna make for some tasty Easter reading 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:20 am 

Here's my review: http://www.idiotbastard.com/reviews.htm#Howard

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:07 pm 

I received my copy today......which was somewhat of a surprise as I don't recall ordering it.....Thanks Amazon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:49 pm 

Ordered Yesterday...along with a bunch of 2012 re-issues..(just for the hell of it)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:58 am 

thenoisydrum wrote:
I know the book won't answer my question as it was a statement by Zappa but was Mark inferior?

Actually the book does kind of answer that question. When Howard started the Nightriders (precursor to the Crossfires/Turtles), his chum Mark asked to join. Howard asked "What do you do?" Mark cheerfully replied, "Nothing!" Mark was never really much of a musician, although he could play a bit of sax. Howard was the lead singer of the Turtles, Mark mostly stuck to tambourine and harmony vocals.

It's a great book, by the way, I enjoyed the hell out of it. LOTS of sex and drugs; even some rock & roll. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:36 pm 

That's Mark and Howie doing the saxes for "Dog Breath" on this concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P9kD-XLfPw

Quickly after that, they ditched the saxes in favour of wordless vocals.

Meanwhile, an interviewer rightly observed for a July 1970 gig (maybe the source for "Nancy & Mary Music"?) and inquired about the lack of horns (which was a big step away from the first MOI):

M.B.: You're missing your front line of saxes now.

F.Z.: Well, as a matter of fact, I could probably duplicate that with Mark and Howie and Ian, 'cause Mark and Howie both play clarinet. But I haven't had the time to put together a completely integrated musical thing, because we had ten days of rehearsals to learn a very difficult repertoire and lean mostly in the direction of vocals, 'cause that's what they do best. If the group stayed together for a longer period of time, I'd have them playing saxes and various percussion instruments and guitars and whatever. You know, we could have a "variety orchestra" or whatever you want to call it. I think it's enough for right now that they just sing those songs, 'cause they're not easy to sing.

http://www.afka.net/Articles/1970-07_Down_Beat.htm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:19 pm 

For your eddie fication

Backstage at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion after The Mothers of Invention with Zubin Mehta and the LA Philharmonic's concert.....

an excert from Howie's book

Mark and I went backstage to give our kudos to Don Preston, Motorhead Sherwood, Buzz and Bunk Gardner, and the rest of the motliest band that was ever assembled. And there was the maestro himself, leaning against the wall, cigarette dangling from his mouth and his ever-present thermos cup of coffee in hand, speaking volumes of truths to a group of drooling reporters. We walked over to shake the man's hand and congratulate him on a perfect show.
"So I hear the Turtles broke up, what are you boys going to do now?" We confessed we didn't have a clue, but I did like being referred to as a "boy". It felt paternal somehow. "listen," he continued, "I'm putting together a new Mothers of Invention-none of the original guys. We're going to go to Europe, play some festivals, maybe some TV....What do ya think?"
We thought yes.
I'm having a family barbecue this Sunday. Why don't you guys come on over. Bring your wives. Oh, yeah, and your saxophones, you do still play saxophone, don't you?" Saxophone? What the hell did Frank want us to bring our saxes for? He had the incredible Ian Underwood in his band and my old Selmer hadn't seen a new reed in five years. Mark and I traded a look not unlike the one that passed between us at the draft board. Still, maybe Frank just wanted us to honk along with an old-school tune-that we could do.
Comes Sunday and the big pool party at Frank and his wife Gail's, purple house on Woodrow Wilson Drive, not far from my Laurel Canyon home. Wives in bathing suits, getting the third degree, screaming naked children running around the chlorined lagoon, the all-American smell of burgers and hot dogs:suburbia at its least corrupted. We ate, we drank, we schmoozed. Then Zappa motioned the two of us downstairs to his legendary studio to hear what we could do. I had my old tenor. Mark had his old alto.
He placed sheet music before us on stands and counted us off. We did what we could. Then he put on a tape of a classic MOI song for us to blorp along with. We did what we could. And then he turned off the machine and told us to put our instruments away. My heart sank, I guess, deep down, I had somehow counted on this all-new life. "Yeah, you guys won't be needing those, We've got two weeks of rehearsal before we leave for England. Got passports?" Oh, hell, yes. Frank wanted singers. The Turtles had been broken up for two weeks and we had a great new gig.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:48 pm 

Wife ordered it for me Saturday and should arrive within the week! I'm gonna pay the $8 and send it to him to get signed. When I was a wee lad I got to see Flo & Eddie perform at Stone Mtn. Georgia with Gary Puckett and the Union Gap.

So far they are the only Zappa alumni I've got a chance to see. Being born in 87 sucks in it's own way...shitty music and Regan-omics.

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:13 pm 

I inhaled Howies book in a couple of days, man those guys worked with everybody...lots of name dropping, quite a few FZ factoids, but nothing that I hadn't read or heard in interviews by others, but a great book all the same, a worthy addition to my FZ library......

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:57 am 

I'm inhaling it today! Reading J.Lennon is a dick episode!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:59 am 

I didn't even realize that this was out, just ordered.

I'm one of the few who got into Frank via his connection with the Turtles and Monkees, so I am looking forward to reading the whole book.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:05 am 

Didn't realize this had been released, so I just ordered it.

Since I'm got into Frank via his connection to The Turtles and The Monkees, this should be an interesting book!

Post subject: re: howard kaylan book
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:22 pm 

just finished this book, very entertaining, enlightening, some great stories about zappa and other rock fiends of the time