Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:25 am 

My apologies if this has been already been discussed, but if the order of the tunes in "The Frank Zappa Guitar Book" (as transcribed by Steve Vai) is correct, then both the 3-disc CD and the 2-disc 2012 remastered CD versions of "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar" have the tracks "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar" and "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Some More" switched. I don't have access to the vinyl and other CD releases to compare.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:49 am 

It's easy to get this mixed up, but as I recall the vinyl has the 5:35 solo from 2/17/79 titled "Shut Up" and the 6:52 solo from 2/18/79 (E) titled "Shut Up...Some More."

My copy of the Ryko 2-CD set from the 80's has those titles switched on the back cover (matching the Guitar Book) but not on the CD labels.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:40 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
It's easy to get this mixed up, but as I recall the vinyl has the 5:35 solo from 2/17/79 titled "Shut Up" and the 6:52 solo from 2/18/79 (E) titled "Shut Up...Some More."

My copy of the Ryko 2-CD set from the 80's has those titles switched on the back cover (matching the Guitar Book) but not on the CD labels.

I'm not sure if you understood my initial post. The third transcription in the Guitar Book is for the track "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar", but it doesn't match the track 3 on either of the two CD versions I mentioned. It actually matches the track "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Some More" (track 13, out of the entire album of 20 tracks). So if the Guitar Book is correct, the two tracks are switched on the CDs.

I guess we need someone who owns both the vinyl version of the album and the Guitar Book (and can read music) to tell us whether the Guitar Book is correct.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:32 am 

Uncle Z wrote:
I'm not sure if you understood my initial post.

I did. The Ryko 2-CD back cover is the only place where the titles match the Guitar Book. Perhaps FZ switched up the titles sometime after Vai did those transcriptions.

Incidentally, Vai also included the post-solo theme in his transcription of one of those solos, but it was edited out of the album.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:54 am 

pbuzby wrote:
Uncle Z wrote:
I'm not sure if you understood my initial post.

I did. The Ryko 2-CD back cover is the only place where the titles match the Guitar Book. Perhaps FZ switched up the titles sometime after Vai did those transcriptions.

Incidentally, Vai also included the post-solo theme in his transcription of one of those solos, but it was edited out of the album.

My apologies, and thank you. I now understand what you are saying. There's more info here:

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/sunpyg.html#originalcd