Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:07 am 

From the Roxy by Proxy page:

4. [Question] Could you share numbers on how many physical CDs has Barko Swill sold per title in the past year? [Answer] Nope. Neither relevant or part of the deal.

I've never understood this lack of transparency regarding sales figures. I would be much more sympathetic to the ZFT if I knew how many or how few discs they sold per release. Why is this information such a closely guarded secret?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:49 am 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
Why is this information such a closely guarded secret?

Gail doesn't want the taxman to know that Wazoo is outselling Lady Gaga and Jay-Z combined! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:40 am 

I didn't know it was a guarded secret! I would've guessed that since they complain about how difficult and expensive it is to properly create cds, they would regularly be pointing to figures that back that up. I guess we are to assume how difficults it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:45 pm 

How many people are on this forum?
That's about how many units they move.

O.K. so I'm a cynic.

Don't know any young people who like Zappa or Beefheart.
Don't know any young people who know who ZPZ is either.

The world's gettin' old bro.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:53 pm 

It should come as no surprise that Gail won't release sales figures for these particular titles, especially since it's none of our business.

BUT...the good news is that I've studied music industry charts and sales for probably 20 years now. And I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that the titles in question could NOT have sold more than 5,000-10,000 copies each worldwide. Otherwise, they would be fully stocked in regular retail outlets...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:14 pm 

jeddy wrote:
Don't know any young people who like Zappa or Beefheart.
Don't know any young people who know who ZPZ is either.

The world's gettin' old bro.

I turned 19 yesterday, do I count as a "young person" here? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:38 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
I've studied music industry charts and sales for probably 20 years now

hahaha

Fuckin' hell. Did you create any decent music while you were at it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:35 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
I've studied music industry charts and sales for probably 20 years now

hahaha

Fuckin' hell. Did you create any decent music while you were at it?

Yes.

You may now go back to acting like you're correct, without backing up any of your claims.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:40 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
It should come as no surprise that Gail won't release sales figures for these particular titles, especially since it's none of our business.

BUT...the good news is that I've studied music industry charts and sales for probably 20 years now. And I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that the titles in question could NOT have sold more than 5,000-10,000 copies each worldwide. Otherwise, they would be fully stocked in regular retail outlets...

Agreed, none of anyone's business.
As for "almost 100% certainty....stocked in regular retail outlets..."
Wrong!
C'mon, work that computer brain of yours. Captain Kirk would make mincemeat of you.
(clue: AGS)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:08 am 

Disco Boy wrote:

well, if she wants us to participate on her business, then I suppose, it can be considered as our business.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:50 am 

Study fuck all and mind your own biz :wink:
Back cover Frank zappa in music DvD Says 60 million albums sold solo and with Mothers of Invention :roll: wHY DO THE MATHS :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:03 pm 

Downer Mydnyte wrote:
Did you create any decent music while you were at it?
Disco Boy wrote:
Yes.

What? You offer no evidence to back up your claim? Links, please. If you don't put up the evidence I'll accept that as your admission of hypocrisy.

I'm not holding my breath.

I'm pulling for you, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:57 pm 

brainpang wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Wrong!
C'mon, work that computer brain of yours. Captain Kirk would make mincemeat of you.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Downer Mydnyte wrote:
Did you create any decent music while you were at it?
Disco Boy wrote:
Yes.

What? You offer no evidence to back up your claim? Links, please. If you don't put up the evidence I'll accept that as your admission of hypocrisy.

I'm not holding my breath.

I'm pulling for you, though.

Don't quit your day jobs, guys. Because it's clear a career in comedy is not in your future...

cleon wrote:
Back cover Frank zappa in music DvD Says 60 million albums sold solo and with Mothers of Invention :roll: wHY DO THE MATHS :smoke:

That estimate is too high.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:26 am 

Some chains carry his stuff and it moves...although when they price went out the roof last year many stopped restock, I would be curious to know if these stores now are restocking the material... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:27 am 

Still waiting to hear what decent music Disco Douche created. Back up that claim, boy. I don't think singing Happy Birthday to your kids (Heaven forbid!) counts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:00 am 

For whatever else DB is or isn't, he plays guitar pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:45 am 

I find it impossible to believe he has a shred of originality. Where's the link?

Back up yer claims.

Disco Boy wrote:
You may now go back to acting like you're correct, without backing up any of your claims.

I don't make any claims. I express my feelings.

My instincts tell me you are mediocre. I trust my instincts. Prove me wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:19 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I find it impossible to believe he has a shred of originality. Where's the link?

Back up yer claims.

Disco Boy wrote:

I tend to hate musicians so it's gonna be a real tough sell.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:25 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
cleon wrote:

That estimate is too high.
You put your Estimate up and i'll say it's too low :| :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:31 pm 

Pope Jack-Ass wrote:
Still waiting to hear what decent music Disco Douche created. Back up that claim, boy. I don't think singing Happy Birthday to your kids (Heaven forbid!) counts.

downer mydnyte wrote:

Back up yer claims.

If you two are serious, then listen to the Z forum band CD, entitled, The Unmoderated. Arkay (w/ a few others, some of who are still here) produced it. It was released about 8 years ago. Many of us contributed to and even funded the project. Some of the material I contributed was included, though I'm not prominent in the mix. I'm actually listening to it right now. However, I'd say my guitar playing and songwriting skills are more advanced now than they were back then.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

You make PLENTY of claims.

downer mydnyte wrote:

Mediocrity is strictly an opinion and hence can't really be proven.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:01 pm 

Almost 100% certainty doesn't sound very certain to me. You either ertainly know or you certainly don't know how many they sold. Instead of just pulling more random numbers out of your ass, like you always do, trying to convince everybody that you think you know what the fuck your talking about, which is a complete fucking waste of time to self-inflate your ego, why don't you just stick with your first statement of, "because she won't release the sales figures for these titles, especially since it's none of our business", that you really have no clue how many have been sold?

Douchbag Chump's credibility diminishes with every single word he types. He's becoming as annoying with his own version of phoney Titoney Baloney insider info as that asshole Gary.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:52 pm 

disco boy wrote:
If you two are serious, then listen to the Z forum band CD, entitled, The Unmoderated...
you snooze, you looze; last one, could be yours ... limited edition, giga-rare, out of print etc etc

spacebr-owned wrote:
Almost 100% certainty doesn't sound very certain to me. You either certainly know or you certainly don't know how many they sold. Instead of just pulling more random numbers out of your ass, like you always do, trying to convince everybody that you think you know what the fuck your talking about, which is a complete fucking waste of time to self-inflate your ego, why don't you just stick with your first statement of, "because she won't release the sales figures for these titles, especially since it's none of our business", that you really have no clue how many have been sold? Douchbag Chump's credibility diminishes with every single word he types. He's becoming as annoying with his own version of phoney Titoney Baloney insider infoas that asshole Gary.

r.o.t.s.o. spacebro owned some more, slinging gratuitous bullshit, consistently maintaining zero credibility across multiple topics/threads, while boosting the consistently impeccable credibility of disco boy, who doesn't appear to be compelled to hype his own shit

lame

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:19 am 

whatever :roll:

When your done tickling his prostate, ask him where and whether he can specifically back up his claim of between 5,000 - 10,000 number of units sold, or if he's just merely pulling them out of his ass again. His track record for numerical accuracy is bleak almost all of the time. :lol:

brainpang wrote:

Wrong!

My sentiment exactly.

For example....I can pull a source that the compilation set "Strictly Commercial", a posthumous release from 1995 charted #45 in the UK for 2 weeks and #51 in Germany. "Lather" ranked #50 and "The Lost Episodes" ranked #54 (both from 1996 - posthumously) in Sweden. This required minimal research to disprove Disco Douche's inaccurate generalities and numerically challenged claim.

Happy Reading! :lol:
http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/_/frank%20zappa/

A monkey can read a music industry chart. :roll:

edit - according the the vaultmeister himself, "A Token of His Extreme", a posthumously released DVD from 2013, is ranked #3 on Amazon.

More Happy Reading! :lol: :lol:
viewtopic.php?p=589216#p589216

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/mo ... v_1_3_last

Sources are great aren't they?

See you on the other thread! :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:17 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:

Back up yer claims.

Disco Boy wrote:

Tell you what. If you can't find anyone to let you d/l it, send me a pm and I'll send you a cdr. GZ actually put it on the front page of the site for a while, which was fun. I have an idea of what your preferences are. You'll likely hate most of it, but with any luck, you may like a tune or 2. You may wish to know the project was based on Xenochrony, so if you are looking for proof of DB's soul, it will have to be through Serendipity rather than audio proof of musical abilities.

Or you can see if slime-o's last copy is still for sale:

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

last one left, giga-rare, original longbox, mint; you snooz, you looz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:34 pm 

I wanna hear Disco Boy's musical achievements not something old where he is buried in the mix and I don't even know who is playing what.
C'mon. This is DB's first chance to actually really prove something on the forum. We all know words and statistics are not proof. Words and statistics are more bullshit. I'm talking compelling audio evidence!

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
last one, could be yours ... limited edition, giga-rare, out of print etc etc

hahaha

Disco Boy wrote:
You make PLENTY of claims.

Bullshit. I express my feelings. If I say I am feeling happy today, that is not just my opinion. It's how I feel! No one else can really have a valid opinion about how I feel.

Can you prove whether or not something was done instinctively? You can watch 30 birds take off in perfect synchronization but can you prove what caused it? You can theorize. You can write for Audubon. The closer the bird watchers think they get to understanding the more full of shit they become. Do you only believe what you can prove with a chart? You seem to dismiss human emotion. Human emotion is a powerful force. There is stuff behind it that is unprovable but true.

Instincts are never wrong. Thinking is what gets in the way. Our over stimulated, attention span-impaired modern brains are losing touch with our instincts. Studying music sales figures for 20 years will do this to you. You need instinct to be a good musician. You need to believe in the shit that can never be proven. That shit is real. Like those birds in flight. Either believe or be a soulless mathematician doing nothing but equations on your guitar, cluttering up the universe(s) with dreck.