The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:50 pm 

release date: june 18, 2013

freak out!

overnite sensation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:26 am 

$40 for FO and $25 for OS? too fuckin' high. even tho i am a hardcore core collector this is kinda nuts. i'll stick with my original LPs. i have 9 versions OS already.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:31 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
$40 for FO and $25 for OS? too fuckin' high. even tho i am a hardcore core collector this is kinda nuts. i'll stick with my original LPs. i have 9 versions OS already.

Jayp, care to post a pic or youtube vid of your hardcore collection? I'm intrigued. I've only been collecting vinyl for 3 years now and will only get one copy of whatever I can get my hands on due to limited funds / accessability.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:52 am 

tiboudre wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

Jayp, care to post a pic or youtube vid of your hardcore collection? I'm intrigued. I've only been collecting vinyl for 3 years now and will only get one copy of whatever I can get my hands on due to limited funds / accessability.

i'd love to if i get time. all the LPs and 7" singles are in corrugated record boxes right now. i do have some of the memorabilia displayed like posters, promo mobiles and shit like that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:13 pm 

Nine whooping versions of Over-Nite Sensation? Care to list them? I wonder if one of them is the quad LP?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:17 pm 

Will this FO! be different from the Old Masters Box?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:21 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Nine whooping versions of Over-Nite Sensation? Care to list them? I wonder if one of them is the quad LP?

from memory...
U.S. Discreet - original yellow label MS2149
U.S. Discreet - yellow label DSK 2288 it may be a record club pressing. the name the Mother and the title is at the bottom of the label
U.S. Discreet - brown Reprise label
U.S. Quad LP
German - Best sounding version I've heard!!
Greece - non-gatefold and diff back
Spain with censored cover non-gatefold and Eat that Question instead of DMH link... http://home.westbrabant.net/~hades/over ... onesp.html
Old Masters LP

there's one more that I forget.

all of the label variances can be seen here...
http://home.westbrabant.net/~hades/over ... ation.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:49 am 

I agree, those prices are too high.
I no longer have a full vinyl collection as I sold off my least favorites to pay for the cd's but having paid $4.99 and $5.99 for mine when new I can't see paying $25 for a single.
Good Luck with that, ZFT.
I am, though, still looking forward to more of the Road Tapes releases... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:12 am 

Sure, the price is steep, but I'm wondering if it's inevitable that it costs as much as it does. After all, vinyl manufacturing these days costs a lot of money and it's largely treated as an elitist sort of a luxury item for diehard audiophiles (or as FZ would say: "fetishists") and there's a whole bunch of other costs that have to be accounted for, so I'm not so certain the price is more due to price-gouging than it is due to the fact that anything lower than 40 bucks for Freak Out! 2LP these days would be less than profitable. Or would anybody explain me if it is possible to have a lower optimal price for a vinyl LP?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:42 am 

The price isn't too out to lunch if they're 180g and using the original analogue mixes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:24 pm 

$40/$25 is not cheapnis, but still quite reasonable these days, compared to the price of concert tickets, bootlegs, indica, etc

hope the new freak out lp is stereo, my only copy is a mono that's seen better days, the cover is well worn with ring marks & rancid budweiser stains, lp labels are faded, the inner sleeves are all ragged & yellowed, and the stuff in the bottom is almost like punching an eclair

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:43 pm 

the price of meat has just gone up, and freak out! has just gone down ... $34.11 & free shipping

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:15 pm 

This is a bullshit price, i print records as well, my own music comes out on vinyl as well as other projects we produce, the last project i was involved in, it cost £1300 (UK Pounds) to print 500 LP's with cover and inner sleeve, that works out to about $1980:16 with today's rate. That's $3:96 per record...

i edited this entry as i released the figure was wrong, we printed 500 Lp's at that price, but also for that price we printed 1000 sleeves in case there as a re order as there was not a large difference in price between 500-1000 record sleeves...

Last edited by mistrijah on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:30 am 

But you have to make a profit or at least, break even! You don't want to lose money, now do you? How realistic is it to sell let's say 400 LPs, let alone all 800? If you're highly likely only to sell 75 copies, then in order to break even, it's inevitable that a single LP may have to cost 25 dollars. Maybe 20 dollars, if you can sell 100 copies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:41 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
But you have to make a profit or at least, break even! You don't want to lose money, now do you? How realistic is it to sell let's say 400 LPs, let alone all 800? If you're highly likely only to sell 75 copies, then in order to break even, it's inevitable that a single LP may have to cost 25 dollars. Maybe 20 dollars, if you can sell 100 copies.

If i can sell 500 copies of Turkish rock then i can't see why that amount can't be sold in Zappa LP's worldwide. What we do is not commercial as well. If you only are likely to sell 75 copies then you only press that amount, it is very cheap to repress any given amount once you have sales.. there are ways of doing this without ripping people off.. From what i can see that ZFT price all their products too highly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:31 pm 

a double album costing $16.99 in 1988 is equivalent to $33.50 in 2013, not a bullshit price; judging by the quality of finer moments, a fine german-made 180 gram pressing, with excellent & dimensionally unchallenged artwork, heavy duty jacket, 2 dimensionally unchallenged inserts, plus mylar-lined inner sleeves, the new freak out! lp will probably come with a full size map, and maybe other swag ... they've sorted out original master tapes & extra artwork from doing mofo, if you don't have a decent copy, this is not overpriced

do the germans cut their own master lp disc from original analog master tapes ¿ or from digitized files ¿

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:21 pm 

I am going to apologise here, saying bull shit price was really not right at all... The problem for me is that when i saw it in dollars it looked expensive, looking at it again OS is not badly priced, i think FO maybe still overpriced but if it has all the extra's then yes it could be worth it...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:48 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
release date: june 18, 2013

freak out!

overnite sensation

Those prices are rape. You can find the original vinyl for a lot less...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:35 pm 

hull534 wrote:
... You can find the original vinyl for a lot less

$4.99 [this record plays well, but it's a bit scratchy in the background. skips during side 1 track 3 'who are the brain police?' - does not fix itself, lots of wear on cover]

$5.09 [sides three and four have major issues; it appears this lp got near some heat and it somewhat melted the outer edge of this platter...although the first few inches of the outer edges are unplayable, song two on side three help, i'm a rock and over half of side four plays fine ... shelf and handling wear with the remnants of the original sticker on the cover that has been partially peeled off, some edge wear but no splitting other than a few very tiny ones on the tip of the pockets, a little split in the interior gatefold but not all the way through, a name written in inside lower edge and a name written on two of the labels with a small amount of paper loss on interior of cover gatefold]

$7.51 [cover is pretty bad, looks to have been stuck to itself ... vinyls have no sleeves, but are actually not that bad ... not going to lie, there are scratches, i think this may still play]

$7.75 [inside of gate-fold jacket has a water mark on bottom of gate-fold, spine is solid, but there is a little bend on top ... back of jacket has a touch of material gone very bottom; vinyl does not have any skips, but a couple of songs have a little faint noise in the back ground of song]

$9.99 [cover: wear on corners, edges, rub wear and discoloring, split on top; inner sleeve very worn and split, other sleeve missing ... record - has scratches]

$10.78 [the two records are: poor, one side is not playable ... jacket is a gatefold: vg/vg+*]

$11.00 [gatefold cover: vg- partial top & bottom seam splits; both records: vg- lots of scuffs & scratches]

$12.97 [surface scuffs / scratches plays ok with some pop and hiss on my turntable ... tape on seam splits, discoloration on inside... ]

$14.99 [vinyl condition: vg-, moderate scuffing plays with noise; sleeve condition: vg-, moderate wrinkling from water damage on bottom 3"]

$16.00 [tiny bit musty cover, pretty solid with some wear to edges/corners; no splitting... records solid, one does have a scratch but i tested it and it played through with just a bit of popping/noise]

$16.05 [cover & condition of the records are vg *]

£10.61 [double album shows its age, discs are not good- i don't have player to check playability-sorry]

$18.50 [light wear, light scratches, writing on two labels ...]

$19.38 [several light surface scratches as well as a few very small scratches which may possibly cause a few clicks or pops for a few revolutions]

$20.00 [a few scattered light background crackles ... shelf-wear, taped spine]

$20.00 [cover in rough condition; record scratched, however, not deep... as is]

$30.00 [light marks and a couple of heavy scratches which cause very light surface noise ... cover ring wear, seam wear, creases, 6" top seam splits and small writing on cover]

$36.00 [background noise mostly heard in the quiet parts and between tracks, few occasional tics]

$39.99 [blemishes, no deep scratches, no great play-back ... corner wear and fraying, some ring wear, 4.5" splits from record mouth out on the two top seams ...]

* vg = not necessarily a bad record, excessive background noise, will play all the way thru ...cover: 2 or more defects

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:23 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
the price of meat has just gone up, and freak out! has just gone down ... $34.11 & free shipping

watch it now, it's still goin down ... $30.32 & free shipping

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:25 am 

the rising cost of new vinyl or:

shove yer $30 smiths reissues up yer collectives asses

Quote:
...major labels notoriously blew it in the ‘90s by killing the single as a format and outrageously
overpricing cds, which of course lead to the downloading revolution and the crippling of an
industry; now that they’ve been given a chance to redeem themselves with the resurgence
of interest in vinyl, not only are they shooting themselves in the foot, but it’s the same foot,
the same gun, and they’re even reusing the bullet

rcn n33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:11 pm 

.$25.17 . . . . $19.56
Image . . Image

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:32 am 

another:

Collateral Damage: Numero Group on the vinyl bubble
http://thewire.co.uk/in-writing/essays/ ... nyl-bubble

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:40 am 

http://blog.mixonline.com/briefingroom/ ... grundmans/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:24 am 

Bought some zappa vinyl off ebay, supposed to be Near Mint / Very Good....all three were awful dished and/ or scratched.
Got the the two re issues Freak Out and Overnite Sensation...bliss. Has there been any hints on any more vinyl re issues.

Ian