Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:24 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Pope Jim wrote:
Students for a Democratic Society, a lefty organization of the late Sixties-early Seventies. I had some fun romps with them in my day, although I never formally joined. VVAW (Vietnam Veterans Against the War) was more my thing.

There were some violent offshoot "wannabe like The Weathermen" groups to come outta the SDS. As a minor I was heavily recruited for some nefarious activities like the Hayward/Alameda county records office bombing and fire that killed a janitor that wasn't supposed to be there. It's that kind of violence that made me quit those assholes! I was just tryin' to get my friends and our boys home. I had a brother in law and several friends that were serving at the time and I didn't want anymore violence or them killed over in 'Nam. When I found out that some of the SDS people had prior knowledge of what was going to transpire in Hayward, I never went back. I did work with the VVAW doing mailings and helping organize some of the marches at Berkeley & Oakland after that too. They at least knew what it was all about and weren't some knee jerk reactionaries tryin' to overthrow the government. I just wanted the boys home and to stop this kind of western invasion of countries we got no business occupying in the first place. In other words, wars that say to the world : You can only be free the American way. We have the armed services to prove were right too. :roll:

I was bummed when LBJ refused to run. He really united everyone against the war. Then Nixon did just the opposite of what his platform was. Bring the troops home with honor. That honor costs 35,000 more US soldiers lives and 5-6 more years of war and over a hundred thousand civilians killed or maimed.
If they try to bring back the draft, I'll die in the streets tryin' to stop it! Even though I was 4F ( broken back) and therefor would never have went to 'Nam, I refused to register for the draft. I don't think any government has the right to say who fights their wars and who doesn't. The volunteer army is turning kids away, so there's really no reason to bring the draft back anytime soon anyway.
Tread on me (the US) and it's another story!

On a side note, didn't Tomas Hayden start the SDS? I think he was going to Michigan St. at that time, another bastion of radicalism during the '60's.

In any war, California's always the state with the most to bring home for burial. :(

EDIT: Thanks for your service BS and PJ and if you were in 'Nam welcome home too! I know you didn't get that "back in the day" and that was one of the things that pissed me off about the SDS. They acted like every solder was a baby killer. Which they weren't of course. Anyway, thanx man! :wink: 8)

I can see you are interested in the war time line, but as with many, you are a little wrong on the stats, the most of us killed incountry was 1968, it was lbj that escalated, he firmly believed in the domino effect, and came up with the head count theory, as well as prosecuting the war from the white house, the big controversy for the youth and media at the time was bombing which killed civilians, he wanted to stop the bombing, but in 68 we had the highest numbers of soldiers in there, 550 thousand, by 71 nixon had dropped that to 136 thousand, but escalated bombing to bring them back to the peace table, I believe the highest monthly death rate was jan. 1968 You might not remember but LBJ was famous for saying if we don't stop the commies they will be in hawaii in a year. So....... it all sucked, and syria looks a lot like it could repeat the same shit., yea some say lbj had a plan to get us out but we know that aint true that is why he didn't run as well as his health.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:56 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Pope Jim wrote:
Students for a Democratic Society, a lefty organization of the late Sixties-early Seventies. I had some fun romps with them in my day, although I never formally joined. VVAW (Vietnam Veterans Against the War) was more my thing.

There were some violent offshoot "wannabe like The Weathermen" groups to come outta the SDS. As a minor I was heavily recruited for some nefarious activities like the Hayward/Alameda county records office bombing and fire that killed a janitor that wasn't supposed to be there. It's that kind of violence that made me quit those assholes! I was just tryin' to get my friends and our boys home. I had a brother in law and several friends that were serving at the time and I didn't want anymore violence or them killed over in 'Nam. When I found out that some of the SDS people had prior knowledge of what was going to transpire in Hayward, I never went back. I did work with the VVAW doing mailings and helping organize some of the marches at Berkeley & Oakland after that too. They at least knew what it was all about and weren't some knee jerk reactionaries tryin' to overthrow the government. I just wanted the boys home and to stop this kind of western invasion of countries we got no business occupying in the first place. In other words, wars that say to the world : You can only be free the American way. We have the armed services to prove were right too. :roll:

I was bummed when LBJ refused to run. He really united everyone against the war. Then Nixon did just the opposite of what his platform was. Bring the troops home with honor. That honor costs 35,000 more US soldiers lives and 5-6 more years of war and over a hundred thousand civilians killed or maimed.
If they try to bring back the draft, I'll die in the streets tryin' to stop it! Even though I was 4F ( broken back) and therefor would never have went to 'Nam, I refused to register for the draft. I don't think any government has the right to say who fights their wars and who doesn't. The volunteer army is turning kids away, so there's really no reason to bring the draft back anytime soon anyway.
Tread on me (the US) and it's another story!

On a side note, didn't Tomas Hayden start the SDS? I think he was going to Michigan St. at that time, another bastion of radicalism during the '60's.

In any war, California's always the state with the most to bring home for burial. :(

EDIT: Thanks for your service BS and PJ and if you were in 'Nam welcome home too! I know you didn't get that "back in the day" and that was one of the things that pissed me off about the SDS. They acted like every solder was a baby killer. Which they weren't of course. Anyway, thanx man! :wink: 8)

I can see you are interested in the war time line, but as with many, you are a little wrong on the stats, the most of us killed incountry was 1968, it was lbj that escalated, he firmly believed in the domino effect, and came up with the head count theory, as well as prosecuting the war from the white house, the big controversy for the youth and media at the time was bombing which killed civilians, he wanted to stop the bombing, but in 68 we had the highest numbers of soldiers in there, 550 thousand, by 71 nixon had dropped that to 136 thousand, but escalated bombing to bring them back to the peace table, I believe the highest monthly death rate was jan. 1968 You might not remember but LBJ was famous for saying if we don't stop the commies they will be in hawaii in a year. So....... it all sucked, and syria looks a lot like it could repeat the same shit., yea some say lbj had a plan to get us out but we know that aint true that is why he didn't run as well as his health.

So it was the '68 Tet offensive that made LBJ escalate the war. I always forget, Nixon didn't take over the reins until the 20th of Jan. '69. So your right about the timeline and yes I was too young to remember the Hawaii bit, but I do remember him lifting his shirt to show were his appendectomy/gall bladder (?) scar was and someone made a picture of it only with a map of Viet Nam tattooed on his stomach instead of a scar. Sick joke, but funny as hell for the time and fitting too.
I also remember Nixon escalating the bombing to include parts of Cambodia where the Ho Chi Min trail cut through that country. Trouble was he didn't ask congress/the people if the USA could wage war on another country. He just assumed that if the orders came from the Whitehouse it was his choice not congresses. That's what I see happening today in Syria. If the Whitehouse wanted to do it again I don't see how we can stop it. The big brass boys are itching for a fight. That's what they do. So I'm watchin and I'm waitin', really hopin' for the best. Ya know?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:29 am 

Yea man I with you. If all hell breaks loose come out here to SD, we can hang in the hills or hide out in Canada with jpd, (that ok jpd?)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:52 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Yea man I with you. If all hell breaks loose come out here to SD, we can hang in the hills or hide out in Canada with jpd, (that ok jpd?)

Sounds like a plan....right jpd?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:30 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
the man don't got shit on me

Code:
no on-line credit card transactions unless anonymously cyberlaundered [uac]
use bitcoin
no gps
lead lined mobile phone case in a 1mm metal mesh bag
no safeway club, price club etc.
no paypal [uac]
no on-line banking/bill paying [uac]
no drooling midrange debit card transactions
no automatic payroll deposits
use p.o. box & double blind mail forwarding
no credit cards except anonymous pre-purchased cc's
use tor [.onion]
bitcoin
use proxy browser: https://proxify.com/u?
invest in a decent quality cross-cut shredder
no manufacturer's mail-in rebates
no autocomplete
no keep_me_logged_in
no remember_my_fucking_password
no search helpers
unlisted land line
bitcoin
change your alias every 2 years max.
no 2-year phone contract; prepaid only [with cash] minutes
get someone to buy you a mobile phone with cash, beat those phone store security cameras
always give taxi driver the address 4 doors down & across the street
set home page to about:blank

And I thought I was paranoid... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:17 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

Sounds like a plan....right jpd?

Only if I get to test out any weapons y'all bring. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:24 am 

No problem ,also maybe listen to some Norton Buffalo and enjoy some of the more exotic aspects of life.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:38 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
No problem ,also maybe listen to some Norton Buffalo and enjoy some of the more exotic aspects of life.

Like watching Sabs dance the dance of a thousand veils for jpd, whilst we listen to his Zappa collection! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:16 am 

Quote:
"You can't have 100% security, and also then have 100% privacy and zero inconvenience."

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:17 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Quote:
"You can't have 100% security, and also then have 100% privacy and zero inconvenience."

:roll:

Why sure you can...six feet under! :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:28 am 

...gonna get my number... gonna get my number...

Brazil challenges US on 'espionage' and asks US to explain internet surveillance

Brazil has requested clarifications from the US government about reports that its intelligence agencies monitored millions of emails and phone calls from Brazilian citizens.

Millions of Brazilians could have had their phone calls and emails monitored

The allegations were published on Saturday by O Globo newspaper.

They were based on documents disclosed by fugitive American intelligence analyst Edward Snowden.

Brazil received the reports "with deep concern," Foreign Minister Antonio Patriota said in a statement.

President Dilma Rousseff called several cabinet ministers to a meeting on Sunday to discuss the issue, following the publication of the newspaper articles on Saturday.

Mr Patriota was taking part in an international literature meeting in the city of Paraty, near Rio de Janeiro, but called the media in the afternoon to read a statement.

"The Brazilian government has asked for clarifications through the US embassy in Brasilia and the Brazilian embassy in Washington," he said.

Mr Patriota said it was going to request that the United Nations work on regulation "to impede abuses and protect the privacy" of internet users.
'Prime target'

Communications Minister Paulo Bernardo said the Federal Police and the Brazilian Telecommunications Agency (Anatel) would carry out an investigation to find out whether internet providers based in Brazil had been involved in the alleged surveillance scheme.

"If that has happened, these companies broke Brazilian law and acted against our Constitution, which safeguards the right to privacy," said Mr Bernardo.

"But the surveillance was probably done through undersea cables and satellites. Most of the cables for international communications go through the US," he added.

According to O Globo newspaper, Brazil had one of the highest numbers of electronic messages and phone calls monitored by the US, even though the country has good relations with the US.

"It is not known the number of people and companies spied on in Brazil, but there is evidence that there was a large volume of data collected on a regular basis," says the report.

"Brazil appears on the charts of the American agency (National Security Agency, or NSA) as a prime target for the espionage of phone calls and other data, alongside nations like China, Russia, Iran and Pakistan," says O Globo.

The allegations come at a difficult time for relations between the United States and Latin American countries.

On Tuesday, a Bolivian government plane was denied access to the airspace of France, Italy, Spain and Portugal.

President Evo Morales, who was returning from an official visit to Moscow, was forced to wait for 13 hours in Vienna before being allowed to return to La Paz.

France apologised for the incident, blaming it on "conflicting information" that Edward Snowden was on board.

The American whistleblower is believed to be holed up at an airport in Moscow since fleeing from Hong Kong.

Mr Morales and other Latin American leaders reacted angrily, denouncing a "neo-colonialist" approach from the US and some of its European allies.

Bolivia, Venezuela and Nicaragua have since stated that they are willing to give Mr Snowden asylum.

A statement by Brazil's President Rousseff said: "The embarrassment to President Morales hits not only Bolivia, but all of Latin America."

Any flight to Latin America would almost certainly take Mr Snowden through Cuba, which has been relatively quiet on the issue so far.

But on Sunday President Raul Castro said he supported "the sovereign right of Venezuela and all those in the region to grant asylum to those persecuted for their ideals or their struggles for democratic rights".

The BBC's Sarah Rainsford in Havana says the comments may signal a change of attitude towards allowing Mr Snowden transit through Cuba.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23222172

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:56 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:16 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:46 pm 

Ordinary internet users 'made up bulk of NSA intercepts'

Ninety percent of people identified in a tranche of communications intercepted by the NSA were ordinary internet users, not foreign surveillance targets, analysis by a US paper says.

The Washington Post says innocents were "caught in a net the National Security Agency had cast for somebody else".

Much of the highly personal information was retained, the paper says, even though it had no intelligence value.

The information was provided by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden.

The paper said it reviewed some 160,000 emails and instant-messages and 7,900 documents from some 11,000 online accounts, gathered by the NSA between 2009 and 2012.

The Post said that a four-month investigation it carried out revealed that nine out of 10 of the account holders - including many Americans - were not the intended surveillance targets.

Much of the information has, the paper says, a "startlingly intimate, even voyeuristic quality" telling stories of "love and heartbreak, illicit sexual liaisons, mental-health crises, political and religious conversions, financial anxieties and disappointed hopes".

However the paper says that the intercepted files also contained "discoveries of considerable intelligence value".

These included "fresh revelations about a secret overseas nuclear project, double-dealing by an ostensible ally, a military calamity that befell an unfriendly power, and the identities of aggressive intruders into US computer networks", it said.

The Post argues that the surveillance files highlight a policy dilemma for President Obama - while there are some discoveries of "considerable intelligence value" there is also "collateral harm to privacy on a scale that the administration has not been willing to address".

Mr Snowden, 30, fled the US in May 2013 and has been living under temporary asylum in Russia.

Last year, he fed a trove of secret NSA documents to news outlets including the Washington Post and the Guardian.

Among other things, the leaks detailed the NSA's practice of harvesting data on millions of telephone calls made in the US and around the world, and revealed the agency had snooped on foreign leaders.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28182494