Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:42 am 

OMFG

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:45 am 

Except Steve Howe plays well..Steve Howe, DZ plays,..well someone else, now, he takes time to learn,and thats great but is he Steve V, no.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:55 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

How on earth do we choose between "using our eyes and ears" and "read(ing) it and weep(ing)"? Isn't it necessary to use our eyes and ears to decide if it is necessary to weep or not? A person cannot respond with weeping unless they have first used their eyes and ears to see if a situation warrants weeping. Yes, we have a choice to decide to accept what is given, or not to do so. However, how does one "read it and weep" without using ones eyes?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:45 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
tiboudre wrote:
The fact that Dweezil hasn't learned to read music after doing this for 6 years is a little suspect to me.

The only suspect is an individuals mind that does not comprehend the level of due diligence Dweezil Zappa puts into getting the music done up to the standards of the composer.

Dweezil has stated he would have liked to have learned to read music at an earlier age in life. While he may not be able to sight read blindly like a Kung Fu master that just makes learning the parts that much more time consuming. Pointedly, in the parts Dweezil has learned, he has done so with the proficiency of any musician that has ever played the guitar or performed Frank's music on any stage.

The perverted idea of pushing any performance achievements into the "suspect" category is preposterous. Dweezil Zappa is not the only musician that has reached the pinnacle of performance achievements by ear. Steve Howe (Yes, Asia, GTR , Tomorrow) performs by ear. It's a testament to achievement of what the well tuned ear can do. I find it fitting that Frank Zappa's interest in Steve Howe's performance on Tomorrow's Claramount Lake, early 1967. Dweezil Zappa and Steve Howe are prime examples of remarkable performance achievements in a wide variety of musical styling. They both perform in a wide variety of styles and put in lots of time and effort into doing what they do. From my point of view it's more about achievement than even considering the notion of anything being suspect about how it gets done.

Believe me, as a fellow musician / arranger / composer / Zappa fanatic, I know the amount of work Dweezil has put into ZPZ. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him and his work ethic. And judging by his performances, he does learn and execute those compositions very effectively. However, if one were to buy in to the COMPLETE FZ package (guitarist, bandleader, arranger, transcriber, catalogue, etc.), you may want to include sightreader into that list of skills as well. Have you ever tried to perform and transcribe The Black Page? Drowning Witch? Inca Roads? I'll wait...

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:56 am 

Still apologizing for DZ, eh trendy? I'm sure you always tell everyone you know that DZ is your favorite musician alive because he's so proficient. You don't have to make excuses for him and give him the Booby Prize of him doing it without the crutch of being able to just read it, hahaha.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:31 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Still apologizing for DZ, eh trendy? I'm sure you always tell everyone you know that DZ is your favorite musician alive because he's so proficient. You don't have to make excuses for him and give him the Booby Prize of him doing it without the crutch of being able to just read it, hahaha.

That's the crux of that biscuit!
polydigm wrote:
OMFG

I couldn't agree more. It's dumfounding how predictable he can be!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:18 pm 

Notice he doesn't go anywhere near the Scheila thing, he... :smoke:

That guy makes my Crapdetector peg... :idea:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:53 pm 

Plook wrote:
Notice he doesn't go anywhere near the Scheila thing, he... :smoke:

That guy makes my Crapdetector peg... :idea:

If Titoney doesn't set your crapdetector off, you'd better get your money back or a new crapdetector! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:36 pm 

duchamp wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

How on earth do we choose between "using our eyes and ears" and "read(ing) it and weep(ing)"? Isn't it necessary to use our eyes and ears to decide if it is necessary to weep or not? A person cannot respond with weeping unless they have first used their eyes and ears to see if a situation warrants weeping. Yes, we have a choice to decide to accept what is given, or not to do so. However, how does one "read it and weep" without using ones eyes?

Braille :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:09 pm 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
duchamp wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

Braille :mrgreen:

It's just Titoney's Baloney. You can't figure it out, it never makes common sense. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:40 pm 

Ryan Brown has appeared on recordings by Hannah Montana, Nick Lachey, Bo Bice, Clay Aiken, Jesse McCartney, actress Heather Graham, and the latest release by rock legends Foreigner. What a resume ! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:58 pm 

No Justin Bieber?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:08 pm 

Hey that kids got street cred, any time your in demand your doing somethng right... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:42 pm 

Plook wrote:
Hey that kids got street cred, any time your in demand your doing somethng right...

+1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:40 am 

Bassist (and Zappa ‘ScoreMeister’) Kurt Morgan used to “lay down the grooves night after night” for Hilary Duff, while his predecessor Pete Griffin previously played with Hanson. And Dweezil of course has played with Don Johnson, Pat Boone and Jellybean Benitez, as well as recording a straight cover of Wonderful Christmastime...

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:30 am 

OBDULA X wrote:
Ryan Brown has appeared on recordings by Hannah Montana, Nick Lachey, Bo Bice, Clay Aiken, Jesse McCartney, actress Heather Graham, and the latest release by rock legends Foreigner. What a resume ! :shock:

Hey, it's all about paying the bills. Just ask Scott Thunes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:08 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
Bassist (and Zappa ‘ScoreMeister’) Kurt Morgan used to “lay down the grooves night after night” for Hilary Duff, while his predecessor Pete Griffin previously played with Hanson. And Dweezil of course has played with Don Johnson, Pat Boone and Jellybean Benitez, as well as recording a straight cover of Wonderful Christmastime...

Nothing wrong with that. Studio work is where the money is at now days. Starting a band and "making it" is tough as shit, especially since the market is over saturated these days. My previous band had 2 labels scouting us and decided it was a no go. My band before that had a label deal, opened for the likes of Robert Randolph, Widespread, and DMB. Still no dice. If I could be 18 again I'd gone to L.A, joined the musicians union and started studio gigging my ass off.

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:53 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
OBDULA X wrote:

Hey, it's all about paying the bills. Just ask Scott Thunes.

No doubt about that. Gotta pay the bills. Instead of Van Halen, I hope they dont play Miley Cyrus crap. Maybe Achy Breaky Heart. Frank could pull them off but. DZ doesnt have it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:34 pm 

Vote for Ryan Brown in Modern Drummer poll. I wrote in Billy Hulting under percussion. Ian Paice and Glen Sobel were some of my other pics.

http://www.moderndrummer.com/modern-dru ... poll-2015/