Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 767 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:50 pm 

coevad wrote:
Gary wrote on Aug 30, 2010 at 12:20 AM

May a centered energy of peace be the wind that not only calmly blows through your shudder doors and but also is the energy towards your mast of staying the coarse of greener pastures and a sky blue sky.

Not poetry; spewetry.

Why would you shut your shutter doors if it was a nice breeze and if they were closed how and the hell would you feel the breeeze... :?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:37 pm 

Plook wrote:
coevad wrote:
Gary wrote on Aug 30, 2010 at 12:20 AM

May a centered energy of peace be the wind that not only calmly blows through your shudder doors and but also is the energy towards your mast of staying the coarse of greener pastures and a sky blue sky.

Not poetry; spewetry.

Why would you shut your shutter doors if it was a nice breeze and if they were closed how and the hell would you feel the breeeze... :?

I shudder to think of it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:19 am 

Gary wrote on Dec 19, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Celebration is the operative keyword. Having arrived before the Sound Check Party loaded with Rice Balls, Vendura & Toy Hellicopter the next 12 hours are part of life that will forever be the celebration that will forever represent itself in the winds that expand tradditional dimetional boundaries.

Happy that you, band and crew enjoyed the gift tidings, you are a man of artisnal taste. Let me know how the Hellicopter works out. Special thanks to Joe Travers for making "Rice Balls" the secret word of the day during the Beacon program and but also spending 12 hours of that day with a special gathering. Too much to expand on here. Albany & Beacon Adventures to be Continued in Videos, Blogs & Commentary areas of ZPZ In Honor & Celebration of FZs 70th Birthday.

A most special thanks to Dweezil, Zappa Plays Zappa Band, Crew and NYC Finest Zappa Plays Zappa Fans

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:09 am 

Titoney's pillow is stuffed with Dweezil & JT's discarded undergarments and used jazz discharge party hats. "Eeww, that smell! Can't you smell that smell?".

It brown foggles his mind! :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:12 pm 

Quick pass me the sick bag!

To late!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:03 pm 

Gary wrote on May 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

from the dzw group 'You Play Zappa'

Dario Vero certainly seems to be enjoying himself re-arranging and performing his take on Frank Zappa's Uncle Meat. Long before any given Hollywood Square Replica fades in the video I was asking myself if a snare drum would ever pop into any given square. Unfortunately that never happened, for the most part Dario re-arranges Frank Zappa's composition, extreme changes take over.

Not that Frank had never put a new age spin on any of his compositions, the 1988 arrangement of The Black Page is one such case, but here I remain thinking of Frank Zappa's Snare Drum parts that we can see and hear in the 1974 KCETV arrangement. EDIT NOTE: The more I think about it FZ had performed on a rather large percussion set next to Ruth Underwood in the Dog Meat Dog Breath/Uncle Meat portion of the program. FZ percussion had Snare Drum, several large toms, Timpani & Concert Bass Drum. FZs usage of percussion in that arrangement is so much a part of stands out just as much any part of the melody of Uncle Meat.

Frank Zappa had many different arrangements of Uncle Meat. When musicians come along and make extreme changes to the arrangement I expect they are fun for many including the musicians. When Dario states "I hope you enjoy it!!", in all sincerity while an appreciation of your talent and enthusiasm is of merit, cheers for your personal effort, I have to wonder about the composers intent and if at some point you can deliver a performance more aligned with such. Deliver that and I'll call for a Hootenanny!

Good Night Paul Lynde wherever you are.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:09 pm 

I remember that video. It was pretty good. Fuck Gary and the party line he rode in on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:44 pm 

Amen to that Brother Wilson!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:53 am 

What is he saying, did he like it or not???... :?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:47 am 

How about the composer's intent of being remembered is not important. (Hint-hint GT).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:47 am 

Secretly he liked it. But because of his hardline "stance," he can't allow himself to like it. It wasn't approved by ZFT. It didn't have enough percussion, and it should because FZ began his musical career as a drummer. As for being remembered, Frank didn't give a shit whether he was or not. Give a choice, I think Frank would rather people remembered the music than the composer. Gail and Gary disagree, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:29 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvg5MpfdAzk

This is brilliant. Leave it to the myopic Trendmonger to bum out due to lack of snare drum.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:29 pm 

FalseDichotomy wrote:

This is brilliant. Leave it to the myopic Trendmonger to bum out due to lack of snare drum.

Needs more cowbell too! Other than that, nice job. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:01 pm 

what the hell's up with the 'W'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:12 am 

coevad wrote:
what the hell's up with the 'W'

The 'W'?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:14 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
FalseDichotomy wrote:

Wish I could play Uncle Meat with that kind of confidence

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:20 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
FalseDichotomy wrote:

Wish I could play Uncle Meat with that kind of confidence

On a cowbell? Man that's some heavy duty wishin'! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:52 am 

four four

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:40 am 

There is new commentary by our guru in Sir Links A Lot, but I'd have to listen to a 30-minute video to understand it. Do I really want to piss off that much of my day? When I could be listening to Joe Satriani instead? I think not.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:19 am 

I just know I'm gonna regret this Jimbo bit I'm gonna have to take a look. While it's on my mind, I bumped into an American fella here last week. Said he knew you. Damn, what was his name? Hold on I remember cos it was an Irish name. O'Bama. Yes, that was it. Nice guy, but seemed in an awful hurry to leave. Can't say I blame him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:26 pm 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvg5MpfdAzk This is brilliant.
Totally, this guy is very talented - he should do more like this and produce an album - I'd buy it. This keeps bringing to mind the argument about composers versus performers. Without talented performers there would be no composers - except perhaps living on park benches here and there with imaginary performances of their works playing [in] their heads.

Last edited by polydigm on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:30 pm 

polydigm wrote:
FalseDichotomy wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvg5MpfdAzk This is brilliant.
Totally, this guy is very talented - he should do more like this and produce an album - I'd buy it. This keeps bringing to mind the argument about composers versus performers. Without talented performers there would be no composers - except perhaps living on park benches here and there with imaginary performances of their works playing their heads.

Funny you should mention it. When I first watched it I thought Poly outta' try something like this. It looks like he'd have, hey, a lot of fun! And if taken one at a time not that hard either. The hard parts figuring out who does what when and where with what. Got it? Now do it Poly! You need a new and exciting goal. Hell we all do! I also think you should play Summertime using the sax as the voice ala Jeff Beck and guitar* or FZ and guitar/voice**. But what do I know eh? :wink:

Maybe we should ask Arkay if he would put it together like The UnModerated. (I put that on every now and then-thanx manx) We all do assigned parts, send them in to him. That way we can all participate!
...or not.

*Like JB"s version of "A Day In The Life" only on sax
**Like FZ on Dangerous Kitchen

polydigm wrote:
Without talented performers there would be no composers .

Here, here! I've sang for me supper more than once and some of my interpretations of Frank, Alice, Bowie, Lou Reed were legend off the byways and bars of highway 49! I do like to preform when rehearsed properly but I can improvise pretty darn good too! Had to, I was broke and nobody knew who these guys were. Someone had to show them and that someone was me! Scared the hell outta the 'necks. (I was a no-neck) It was only 20 years ago, way back when there was a phone on most corners. Try and find one now. If you go back 20 more you'll see how we communicated with drums, smoke & mirrors!
Whoops, wrong thread for this shit! Sorry PJ. (it's all Poly's fault! :twisted: ) :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:37 am 

We miss you, Trendy. Please spew soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:11 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:00 am 

for real?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 767 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 31  Next