Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 128  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 pm
Posts: 214
It should have marketed as a remake of "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" and I would have been ok. I grew up a diehard Godzilla fan (I still am) and at the age of 11 when Godzilla 98 came out I was destroyed. I was sooooo pissed.

Just snagged these

Image

Image

Image

Image

With these I've now completed my Godzilla dvd collection. Just a few away from having the classic Toho science fiction classics (Mysterians, Varan, Matango, Atragon, and Gorath)

_________________
Image

Pudding
Delicious


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18484
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
schvanzbass wrote:
With these I've now completed my Godzilla dvd collection. Just a few away from having the classic Toho science fiction classics (Mysterians, Varan, Matango, Atragon, and Gorath)

Yeah...I'm hooked on Asian monster/sci-fi movies. Last purchase (not counting re-buying Godzilla vs. Biolante on Blu-Ray) was Latitude Zero. I'd seen it advertised for $75.00 to over $100.00 for a used copy, then found it listed on Cinepix for $15.98 new. Ordered it, and it was immediately backordered. It took about a year, but they finally sent me a copy!
My next "backorder" I'm waiting on is War In Space...ordered with Message From Space. Love those spaceships that look like high-seas gallions! 8)

an edit...
Since this was now on my mind, I checked on Amazon.ca, and saw...."The Last Dinosaur" (a Japanese/American co-production). I saw this once on tv a couple of decades ago, and never came across it again...until just now. It's available on Warners "burn to order" archive series, and Amazon had 1 copy. So I left the backordered "War In Space" on it's own, and moved "Message From Space" onto the same order as "The Last Dinosaur" to get free shipping.
Finding and ordering these things is at least as much fun as watching them!

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18484
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 737
Location: Atlanta
Image

This arrived from Netflix in my mailbox on the day James Gandolfini died. It seemed somehow fitting.

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14755
I don't know if there's any city threatening monster cuter the the son of Godzilla.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 pm
Posts: 214
just plain doug wrote:
schvanzbass wrote:
With these I've now completed my Godzilla dvd collection. Just a few away from having the classic Toho science fiction classics (Mysterians, Varan, Matango, Atragon, and Gorath)

Yeah...I'm hooked on Asian monster/sci-fi movies. Last purchase (not counting re-buying Godzilla vs. Biolante on Blu-Ray) was Latitude Zero. I'd seen it advertised for $75.00 to over $100.00 for a used copy, then found it listed on Cinepix for $15.98 new. Ordered it, and it was immediately backordered. It took about a year, but they finally sent me a copy!
My next "backorder" I'm waiting on is War In Space...ordered with Message From Space. Love those spaceships that look like high-seas gallions! 8)

an edit...
Since this was now on my mind, I checked on Amazon.ca, and saw...."The Last Dinosaur" (a Japanese/American co-production). I saw this once on tv a couple of decades ago, and never came across it again...until just now. It's available on Warners "burn to order" archive series, and Amazon had 1 copy. So I left the backordered "War In Space" on it's own, and moved "Message From Space" onto the same order as "The Last Dinosaur" to get free shipping.
Finding and ordering these things is at least as much fun as watching them!



Check out www.monsterislandtoys.com

They have a shit ton of Toho sci-fi dvds for sale, many official American releases that are out of print for $25 (as opposed to $50+ on Amazon/Ebay) and many bootlegs. Before you order, they even list how many copies they have, so you know if they are on back order or not. As of now they only Godzilla bootleg I have is Godzilla Returns aka Godzilla 1985, but hell, it has a making of feature after the credits, so that's pretty snazzy. That reminds me though, I need Latitude Zero....

_________________
Image

Pudding
Delicious


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:30 pm
Posts: 9379
Location: Windsor,Ontario Canada
Image

_________________
I'm not Antisocial,Society is Anti me !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18484
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Won't buy it, because there are no giant monsters in it, but decided to watch it, since schvanzbass brought it to my attention.

Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 pm
Posts: 214
There is the giant Gorath (i.e. monster walrus) at the end of the film. Granted he gets barely 7 min. of screen time, if that.

Have you snagged the "Icons of Sci-Fi" Toho collection?

Image

2 of the 3 movies don't have giant monsters but it is the only official release of the Japanese cut of "Mothra." Plus it has a pretty nifty commentary track on it. "Battle in Outer Space" is also a loose sequel to "The Mysterians."

_________________
Image

Pudding
Delicious


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18484
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
schvanzbass wrote:
Have you snagged the "Icons of Sci-Fi" Toho collection?

Yes, and it was, indeed, to get "Mothra", although "H-Man" was one I had wanted to see, too.

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18484
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 pm
Posts: 214
Don't recall that movie. Banned?

_________________
Image

Pudding
Delicious


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18484
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
schvanzbass wrote:
Don't recall that movie. Banned?

"Pulgasari is a 1985 North Korean fantasy action film directed by Shin Sang-ok and Chong Gon Jo. The film, a giant-monster film similar to the Japanese Godzilla series, was produced by the South Korean Shin, who had been kidnapped in 1978 by North Korean intelligence on the orders of Kim Jong-il, son of the then-ruling Kim Il-sung.

Kim was a lifelong admirer of the director and Kaiju-like films, and kidnapped the latter and his wife, famous actress Choi Eun-hee, with the specific purpose of making fantasy/propaganda films for the North Korean government. Kim Jong-il also produced Pulgasari and all the films that Sang-ok made before he and Choi fled the country.

Teruyoshi Nakano and the staff from Japan's Toho studios, the creators of Godzilla, participated in creating the film's special effects. Kenpachiro Satsuma – the stunt performer who played Godzilla from 1984 to 1995 – portrayed Pulgasari, and when the Godzilla remake was released in Japan in 1998, he was quoted as saying he preferred Pulgasari to the American Godzilla.

Jonathan Ross stated that the film is intended to be a propaganda metaphor for the effects of unchecked capitalism and the power of the collective."

---Just before “Pulgasari” was completed, Ok took his wife, proclaimed juche from North Korea, and took the midnight train out of the country for good. Pissed off with Ok and his freedom loving ways, Jong bans the film for almost ten years.

(Oh! Did you think it was banned in the States?? :shock: ) :mrgreen:

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 7417
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 pm
Posts: 214
just plain doug wrote:
schvanzbass wrote:
Don't recall that movie. Banned?

"Pulgasari is a 1985 North Korean fantasy action film directed by Shin Sang-ok and Chong Gon Jo. The film, a giant-monster film similar to the Japanese Godzilla series, was produced by the South Korean Shin, who had been kidnapped in 1978 by North Korean intelligence on the orders of Kim Jong-il, son of the then-ruling Kim Il-sung.

Kim was a lifelong admirer of the director and Kaiju-like films, and kidnapped the latter and his wife, famous actress Choi Eun-hee, with the specific purpose of making fantasy/propaganda films for the North Korean government. Kim Jong-il also produced Pulgasari and all the films that Sang-ok made before he and Choi fled the country.

Teruyoshi Nakano and the staff from Japan's Toho studios, the creators of Godzilla, participated in creating the film's special effects. Kenpachiro Satsuma – the stunt performer who played Godzilla from 1984 to 1995 – portrayed Pulgasari, and when the Godzilla remake was released in Japan in 1998, he was quoted as saying he preferred Pulgasari to the American Godzilla.

Jonathan Ross stated that the film is intended to be a propaganda metaphor for the effects of unchecked capitalism and the power of the collective."

---Just before “Pulgasari” was completed, Ok took his wife, proclaimed juche from North Korea, and took the midnight train out of the country for good. Pissed off with Ok and his freedom loving ways, Jong bans the film for almost ten years.

(Oh! Did you think it was banned in the States?? :shock: ) :mrgreen:



Yeah haha. I was thinking Kaiju meet Cannibal Holocaust....

_________________
Image

Pudding
Delicious


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9240
Location: EINDHOVEN
The Wild Thornberrys, for obvious reasons.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18484
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:30 pm
Posts: 9379
Location: Windsor,Ontario Canada
Image

_________________
I'm not Antisocial,Society is Anti me !


Last edited by Trip on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 7417
Location: Wellington New Zealand
It was a gift
Image

Image

A bad gift


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18484
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14755
Gray_Ghost wrote:
It was a gift
Image

Image

A bad gift


Well....I think there's some good stuff there. Nice use of the synclavier on "The Way You Make Me Feel". I like "Leave Me Alone" also. Well, not a lot of good stuff.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18484
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 3676
Location: Orange County Ca.
The Badpiper - Thunderstruck
http://www.youtube.com/embed/K-Op1Mng4oY


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 7417
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18484
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 128  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group