Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:38 am
Posts: 232
Location: The Land of the Ice & Snow
downer mydnyte wrote:
Where do you go if you only care about the music?

up in your "lonely little rock 'n' roll musician's room..." :smoke: Where the smoke is thick and the music is loud.

_________________
Oh No! I don't believe it...
You say that you think you know the meaning of love...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2301
I'm in the studio right now. 8) Waiting on someone's overdubs.

The smoke is about to get thick.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:33 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3570
Location: Vancouver, BC
downer mydnyte wrote:
It seems like it would be exhausting to pretend you're never wrong.


It seems like it would. But since I'm not pretending, I'm not exhausted.

downer mydnyte wrote:
It's probably even worse to always be right about things that really don't amount to much.


It might be. But certainly nowhere near the ultra-redundancy you exude posting in this thread.

downer mydnyte wrote:
After reading this thread I can safely say I no longer give a shit about Zappa's posthumous sales figures.


Excellent! Then why are you clogging up this thread?

downer mydnyte wrote:
Where do you go if you only care about the music?


In terms of a career? The morgue. Since not understanding the business of music will more than likely sink your career, if you have one...

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5745
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Disco Douche wrote:
1. STOP taking my quotes OUT OF CONTEXT, asshole.

2. Again, since I initially stated, "...the titles in question...", I thought it would be good to clarify the difference between posthumous ZFT & Ryko/Universal releases. It wasn't what you thought I meant. I've actually stated these estimates before. And there are a few threads on FZ sales where some of us have been talking about this for YEARS, long before you even got here.

3. Since when does stating, "...with almost 100% certainty...", detract from stating an, "estimate", when referring to the same thing?

4. You're a COLOSSAL fucking idiot.


1. I'm quoting the relevant points of your lame-brained half-witted claims that are more wrong than they are right...most of the time.

2. Regardless, you don't know how many of the "titles in question" have sold.

3. Who gives a fuck. You don't know how many sold.

4. You're a poser.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2301
Disco Boy wrote:
Excellent! Then why are you clogging up this thread?

Probably the same reason you are.
Disco Boy wrote:
In terms of a career? The morgue. Since not understanding the business of music will more than likely sink your career, if you have one...

I'm trying to get out of the music business but the money is so good....

It's like the mafia. Hard to get out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:06 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3570
Location: Vancouver, BC
tweedle-dumb wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
1. STOP taking my quotes OUT OF CONTEXT, asshole.

2. Again, since I initially stated, "...the titles in question...", I thought it would be good to clarify the difference between posthumous ZFT & Ryko/Universal releases. It wasn't what you thought I meant. I've actually stated these estimates before. And there are a few threads on FZ sales where some of us have been talking about this for YEARS, long before you even got here.

3. Since when does stating, "...with almost 100% certainty...", detract from stating an, "estimate", when referring to the same thing?

4. You're a COLOSSAL fucking idiot.


1. I'm quoting the relevant points of your lame-brained half-witted claims that are more wrong than they are right...most of the time.

2. Regardless, you don't know how many of the "titles in question" have sold.

3. Who gives a fuck. You don't know how many sold.

4. You're a poser.


1. BS. You're taking part of my quotes OUT OF CONTEXT to suit your own agenda.

2. & 3. Regardless, I have a pretty damn good idea of how much they've sold. And YOU apparently give a fuck, since YOU were questioning me about it.

4. You're a TOTAL fucking idiot.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Excellent! Then why are you clogging up this thread?

Probably the same reason you are.


How so? I'm mainly discussing sales, which is what this thread is about.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
In terms of a career? The morgue. Since not understanding the business of music will more than likely sink your career, if you have one...

I'm trying to get out of the music business but the money is so good....

It's like the mafia. Hard to get out.


Well, it's good to know you're not a sell-out.

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5745
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Image

Give it up Poser Boy. The only thing with 100% certainty, and no almosts about it, is that you really have absolutely no idea whatsoever the sales numbers are. You just like to pull random numbers out of your ass and try to convince everybody you are what you're not..

100% certainty is the opposite of estimate, and an almost 100% certainty" is an oxymoron Poser Boy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 742
Location: Atlanta
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
100% certainty is the opposite of estimate, and an almost 100% certainty" is an oxymoron Poser Boy.


Actually, I think it runs on a continuum as such:

100% certainty-------estimate-------no fucking idea.

Therefore, "100% certainty" is the opposite of "no fucking idea", whereas "estimate" falls somewhere in the middle. One cannot make an estimate without at least having even some vague idea of how numbers work, whereas "no fucking idea" assumes the person does not even comprehend how to make a guess, or is completely devoid of any information to help them make said guess. Sure, it's nitpicky, but I was bored.

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5745
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
duchamp wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
100% certainty is the opposite of estimate, and an almost 100% certainty" is an oxymoron Poser Boy.


Actually, I think it runs on a continuum as such:

100% certainty-------estimate-------no fucking idea.

Therefore, "100% certainty" is the opposite of "no fucking idea", whereas "estimate" falls somewhere in the middle. One cannot make an estimate without at least having even some vague idea of how numbers work, whereas "no fucking idea" assumes the person does not even comprehend how to make a guess, or is completely devoid of any information to help them make said guess. Sure, it's nitpicky, but I was bored.



Interesting analogy. :idea:

It's a 100% certainty that there is absolutely nothing certain about an almost certainty.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5908
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Okay Mr Mydnyte, I generally confer with your sentiments but on this following point you completely contradict yourself.
downer mydnyte wrote:
I express my feelings. If I say I am feeling happy today, that is not just my opinion. It's how I feel! No one else can really have a valid opinion about how I feel ... Either believe or be a soulless mathematician doing nothing but equations on your guitar, cluttering up the universe(s) with dreck.
So, what YOU don't understand or feel is automatically soulless dreck? I'm a mathematician and I often find immense beauty in mathematics and they are MY feelings, which by your own argument I don't have to prove to you. At the same time as heralding your own feelings as the be all and end all of everything you very readily heap contempt on those that don't FEEL the way you do.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2301
Hey Polydigm....you're right. I contradicted myself.

Thanks, though, for generally conferring with my sentiments. Sometimes I get carried away.

polydigm wrote:
So, what YOU don't understand or feel is automatically soulless dreck?

No. That would make me an asshole. I think any music that is greedily manufactured to sell to a specific mega-demographic and doesn't come from the heart* is soulless dreck. Isn't it?

*Somewhere honest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5908
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
downer mydnyte wrote:
Hey Polydigm....you're right. I contradicted myself. Thanks, though, for generally conferring with my sentiments. Sometimes I get carried away.
polydigm wrote:
So, what YOU don't understand or feel is automatically soulless dreck?
No. That would make me an asshole. I think any music that is greedily manufactured to sell to a specific mega-demographic and doesn't come from the heart* is soulless dreck. Isn't it? *Somewhere honest
You are sometimes a wee bit strident, but then, I can relate to that, so ... I suppose I'm a little touchy about this because I've been accused of being too like a mathematician often enough. "Why so many chords, why do you always have to over complicate your songs?", "Wow, you go all over the neck when you solo, why do you do that, I just play in one position?[missionary?]", "It's too technical, no-one's going to get it", "etc, etc".

I get it and I'm just being myself and I know what I feel and it cannot be described remotely as soulless. Emotions evolved before consciousness, but intellect does not negate feelings. There are times when I momentarily wish I couldn't feel but I quickly realise that then I would be dead, so I get on and deal with whatever was making me feel bad.

It's like this crap that my sister bangs on about when she hears either my music or the music I like listening to, that the music that "makes it" is written by people that have that "special something" and they just become a hit because it strikes a chord with a lot of people. Is that it for art? Popularity is the only measure? What about Vincent Van Gogh? It's funny how people reserve some level of sophistication for painters but it goes out the window when talking about music.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:27 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3570
Location: Vancouver, BC
tweedle-dumb wrote:
Give it up Poser Boy. The only thing with 100% certainty, and no almosts about it, is that you really have absolutely no idea whatsoever the sales numbers are. You just like to pull random numbers out of your ass and try to convince everybody you are what you're not..


If you truly think I don't have a good idea of what the ZFT titles have sold, then you're not considering the evidence that supports my point of view. And you're certainly not providing ANY compelling evidence to the contrary. So STFU, asshole.

tweedle-dumb wrote:
100% certainty is the opposite of estimate, and an almost 100% certainty" is an oxymoron Poser Boy.


No, they're not. But then again, this is you. And EVERYONE here should know by now that logic, reason, intelligence AND ignorance are your specialities. So I'm not surprised (and they're probably not either)...

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5745
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Thing is Poser Boy, that you DON'T have ANY evidence to support your point of view. You make this shit up as you go along. That's what posers do. An almost 100% guarantee is neither 100% or a guarantee. Also, an estimate can have a margin of error that exceeds 100%. I can give you an example if that is beyond your comprehension.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5908
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
duchamp wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
100% certainty is the opposite of estimate, and an almost 100% certainty" is an oxymoron Poser Boy.
Actually, I think it runs on a continuum as such: 100% certainty-------estimate-------no fucking idea. Therefore, "100% certainty" is the opposite of "no fucking idea", whereas "estimate" falls somewhere in the middle ... it's nitpicky, but I was bored.
Nitpicky, you ain't seen nothing yet. In mathematics, certainty is defined as a probability of 1, expressed as a fraction, which is equivalent to 100, expressed as a percentage. Technically, 100% certainty is 100% of certainty which is really just certainty, so it's not an oxymoron it's just a tautology. No self respecting mathematician would say 100% certainty, they might say 100% "sure", where the word sure just means "probability of happening", but they'd most likely just say it's certain. It's like zero probability which is just expressed as "impossible". Mathematicians don't call that "100% impossible", that is, "completely impossible", because impossible is defined as zero probability and it already says what it needs to say.

          :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

PS: There should be a tounge in cheek smilie.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5745
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Thanks for clearing that up! Image (the closest to a tongue in cheek smilie I could find)

With the word "almost" as the caveat, doesn't make an absolute certainty absolute or a certainty. Then it's just a guess or estimation, thus making the value of 100% or a ratio of 1 to 1 non-applicable. If one applies "almost" as the variable, then it's neither a certainty or a guarantee. Just enough wiggle room to consistently make a "none of this diminishes" statement by leaving enough room to be inaccurate, but still have
poserish tendencies.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3156
Location: Between the Badges
GREAT POST POLYDIGM!

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:37 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3570
Location: Vancouver, BC
tweedle-dumb wrote:
Thing is Disco Boy, that you DON'T have ANY evidence to support your point of view. You make this shit up as you go along.


Then you haven't read my posts in this thread very carefully.

tweedle-dumb wrote:
An almost 100% guarantee is neither 100% or a guarantee. Also, an estimate can have a margin of error that exceeds 100%. I can give you an example if that is beyond your comprehension.


No shit, Sherlock. :roll:

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5745
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Poser Boy wrote:

No shit, Sherlock. :roll:
I'll take that as your admission that you really don't know what the fuck your talking about. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:07 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3570
Location: Vancouver, BC
tweedle-dumb wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

No shit, Sherlock. :roll:
I'll take that as your admission that you really don't know what the fuck your talking about. :lol:


It's not an admission.

I NEVER said I was 100% certain about the sales figures of ZFT titles. :roll:

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5745
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Sorry to break it to you Poser Boy, but there is no almost in a 100% guarantee. An almost 100% guarantee is as relevant as an almost 0% guarantee.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:58 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3570
Location: Vancouver, BC
tweedle-dumb wrote:
Sorry to break it to you Poser Boy, but there is no almost in a 100% guarantee. An almost 100% guarantee is as relevant as an almost 0% guarantee.


According to YOU...

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5745
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Tinkerbell from Almostland wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Sorry to break it to you Poser Boy, but there is no almost in a 100% guarantee. An almost 100% guarantee is as relevant as an almost 0% guarantee.


According to YOU...


No. According to logic, precision and absolutism Tinkerbell from Almostland. :lol:

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3156
Location: Between the Badges
DB and SB wrote:
Alot of stuff


polydigm wrote:
... In mathematics, certainty is defined as a probability of 1, expressed as a fraction, which is equivalent to 100, expressed as a percentage. Technically, 100% certainty is 100% of certainty which is really just certainty, so it's not an oxymoron it's just a tautology. No self respecting mathematician would say 100% certainty, they might say 100% "sure", where the word sure just means "probability of happening", but they'd most likely just say it's certain. It's like zero probability which is just expressed as "impossible". Mathematicians don't call that "100% impossible", that is, "completely impossible", because impossible is defined as zero probability and it already says what it needs to say.
...

Can we just assume that you have both now read and understood polydigm's above text and move on from there? Not just here, but in other threads too? It just might cut down on the visits to the Land of Hyperbole. No need to respond to this, let's just assume we all have a great new-found understanding of Math Language.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:51 pm
Posts: 2346
Location: Europe
Being more nitpicky (if that is a term), Poly's nice post pertains to the case where there is a well-defined probability distribution related to possible outcomes. In some parts of behavioral economics, this is not even the case. (People talk about "Knightian Uncertainty" after Frank Knight; he and Keynes independently cam forth with these ideas in 1921.) There, you as a consequence cannot attach probabilities to various events. You are really in the dark, so some call this a case "genuine uncertainty".

Seems to me that we are in that realm here, as the probability distribution over sales is blurry at best.

_________________
"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself" - FZ
http://www.myspace.com/kirnehness


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Disco Boy, Yomama and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group