Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:57 pm 

I love Genesis' prog-rock albums. But when I first heard the above, I really didn't know what to make of it. Maybe because even for them, it was too different or even feminine in parts. But after borrowing it from a friend a few years ago and giving it another chance, I now absolutely LOVE it. And it was also Hackett's final work with them - he really is an arpeggiation master. In fact, it's probably my favourite Genesis album.

I've always dug The Who. But this one just didn't grab me in any way shape or form when I first heard it. But now, I get it. However Much I Booze?, Dreaming From The Waist, Imagine A Man, Success Story, They Are All In Love & How Many Friends are classics. Wtf was I thinking?!

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:53 pm 

A friend bought this, on cassette, in 1973. I didn't care for it at all...too repetitious.
A few years later I found it, on vinyl, marked down for quick sale. Bought it, gave it a spin, then another...and nowadays I have a copy of most, if not all, of their albums.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:27 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:

I've always dug The Who. But this one just didn't grab me in any way shape or form when I first heard it. But now, I get it. However Much I Booze?, Dreaming From The Waist, Imagine A Man, Success Story, They Are All In Love & How Many Friends are classics. Wtf was I thinking?!

I'm with you on this one. I don't care what you say, Disco Boy, there ain't no way out....of enjoying this disc.

One for me is Darkness On The Edge Of Town. I hated Springsteen when was younger, but grew to like it very much.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:40 pm 

Thick as a Brick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:14 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:

Me too on this one. When it came out I guess I was expecting "Quadrophenia II" or something, and I was disappointed, rating it as "Okay". Went many years without listening to it. But now I like it very much and regard it as a classic Who album.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:23 pm 

For me, this has often been the case with the Rolling Stones. I'll listen to one of their albums for the first time and think "Man, they phoned this one in." It's taken me several years to develop a taste for some of their albums.

Others, I'm still trying.

I've given up on a few...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:59 am 

Neil Young - Fork In The Road

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:23 am 

Primus - Frizzle Fry. Once upon a time I only liked You Can't Kill Michael Malloy. Then I also started to like To Defy The Laws Of Tradition. Then Harold On The Rocks. All tracks came one by one: the last one on mylist was Groundhog's Day... which is now my favourite Primus song.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:57 am 

I have most of the Frank Black catalog. I was given Teenager of the Year as a gift and it sat around for at least a couple years before I grew to love it. It sounded like any number of straightforward rock albums that I've heard. Now, its one of my favorites for a ton of reasons. The weird thing is... his albums still do that to me. I'll hear a new one, think its more same old same old, then after a while, I'll learn its twists and turns and then I'm sold. In total, he has 5 albums that I think are incredible and the rest are a mixed bag. He could use an editor.
The point being though, that I'd like to think I could see straight (hear straight?) the first time I put on an album and accurately predict whether it will be a favorite or not. I can't. The listener adjusts to new information.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:21 am 

I am also a fan of Frank Black, but I do have trouble with is later stuff.

I'm an even bigger fan of Elvis Costello. He's always changing up the genre, and I often listen to a new release and think, well, this this crap. Two more listens, and it's stuck in my head. A few more, and I'm singing along.

His new record coming out is a hip-hop affair recorded with the Roots. He can do it all, which is also what I admire about Frank Zappa.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:54 am 

A rope leash wrote:
I'm an even bigger fan of Elvis Costello.

Was just getting ready to post this:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:14 am 

Try Momofuku...a real bargain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:56 am 

Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
Gentle Giant - The Power And The Glory
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Captain Beefheart - Troutmaskreplica (probably obvious for most people)
Little Feat - Time Loves A Hero
Mr. Bungle - s/t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:47 pm 

The Grand Wazoo. It took a couple a listens before I appreciated it for what it was and not what it wasn't.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:12 am 

I originally detested AHM with the exception of Waters' "If" but over the years the other material grew on me and now I like the whole album (especially Rick Wright's "Summer '68"). It still isn't in my top 5 Floyd albums yet it's a lot better than a lot of the 'best' material from other bands.

I was spoiled by the quality of Neil's 70s output and found this a disappointment at first. But now I view this as tied (with "Trans") as his 2nd best 80s album (the best being "Freedom")

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:56 pm 

Granted that Muse has been on a constant evolution since they started, this album was a big step in the direction of electronics. It took a while, but eventually I learned to love this album.

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:28 pm 

So, this is the thread that had me thinkin about Elvis Costello recently...
EC is someone that I get on a kick with for a couple weeks every couple years. His early albums are great, but I'd trade every last one that I have (a dozen or so) for Get Happy! No other EC album comes close.

I've been waiting years for Momofuku to fulfull the Subject of This Thread. It never gets past "Its OK". Maybe if I keep listening.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:15 pm 

The UnModerated. Produced by Arkay & the Forum Soundbiters. Yes, it does keep sounding better and better than the first time. It beats the hell out Call Me Maybe! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:35 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
The UnModerated. Produced by Arkay & the Forum Soundbiters. Yes, it does keep sounding better and better than the first time. It beats the hell out Call Me Maybe! :wink:

I hadda put one of them screwdrivers in my brain to get rid of Call Me Maybe after a niece listened to it a couple of times.

My favorite on The Unmoderated is probably 4 Cats, with the singing of Catpuke, but I like it all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:15 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

I hadda put one of them screwdrivers in my brain to get rid of Call Me Maybe after a niece listened to it a couple of times.

My favorite on The Unmoderated is probably 4 Cats, with the singing of Catpuke, but I like it all.

It does grow on you and Catpuke stands out in a good way. Hell, the whole thing is better than what most AM/FM radio stations play over and over. 8)

The last couple of times I've been in the local Grocery Outlet that damn CMM song is on. I keep forgetting my aluminum foil hat and earplugs! They must have it on a loop trying to get us to obey and buy it! I want to complain but the checkers are nice...if ya' know what I mean... I plain forget when I'm talkin' to 'em, ya know, eh? :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:10 am 

one or two of you may have heard this one

it's wormed its way deep deep deep into my shallow brain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:03 am 

Zappa: Joe's Garage

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:34 am 

Disco Boy wrote:

I love Genesis' prog-rock albums. But when I first heard the above, I really didn't know what to make of it. Maybe because even for them, it was too different or even feminine in parts. But after borrowing it from a friend a few years ago and giving it another chance, I now absolutely LOVE it. And it was also Hackett's final work with them - he really is an arpeggiation master. In fact, it's probably my favourite Genesis album.

that's because you ARE a faggot. That album stinks. The only good songs are Eleventh Earl and Wot Gorilla

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:11 am 

jaga jazzist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

that's because you ARE a faggot. That album stinks. The only good songs are Eleventh Earl and Wot Gorilla

The last great Genesis album to my mind. Eleventh Earl is indeed a fab track, but I also like Blood on the Rooftops. Hackett's acoustic is really good.

Did you know that Hackett actually was offended that Wot Gorilla was included on the album in stead of "Inside and Out"? And they never even bothered to develop what later became Steve's "Please Don't Touch" title track?