Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa Instrumentals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:33 am 

I'm looking to put together a playlist of all of Frank's instrumental cuts. Does such a list exist anyplace? I think I have most of his instrumental cuts already in a playlist, but I want to see what I may be missing.

Post subject: Re: Zappa Instrumentals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:09 am 

d10s wrote:
I'm looking to put together a playlist of all of Frank's instrumental cuts. Does such a list exist anyplace? I think I have most of his instrumental cuts already in a playlist, but I want to see what I may be missing.

It help if you make a list of the Albums you have or even just the songs that you have,Is it more FZ Guitar solo's your looking for or the Band Instrumentals.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:28 am 

I've got quite a bit of his stuff (about 35 albums worth) mostly post Mothers..... Of course the "Guitar" albums are obvious choices, but I am trying to get a list of the various instrumental band stuff off everything else. There are so many songs you tend to forget which ones have vocals or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:36 am 

A album that sticks out for Lots of Instrumentals got too be "Make A Jazz Noise Here" some Mothers tracks done Instrumental.

I will post as i think of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:45 am 

Make a Jazz Noise has lots of instrumentals, however I have to listen as there are also several with vocals. City of Tiny Lights, Stinkfoot, Stevie's Spanking (vocals or not?) etc....so its hard to just drag an entire album into an instrumental playlist without re-listening to some of the tracks to be sure if it has vocals or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:56 am 

On disk one Tracks 1 and 7 ain't i will listen too disk 2 now. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:17 am 

Tracks 2 ain't Ike messes it up 4 8 10 11 12 also ain't FZ do announce the band on last track 12.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:52 am 

Sleep Dirt in its original vinyl reincarnation (and now restored on the 2012 UME reissue) was Zappa's first all-instrumental album. Then came "Orchestral Favorites", but that was orchestral music, so I dunno if you want to add any of orchestral music to this playlist. In which case, both LSO records would also be a safe bet.

From the jazz-rock albums:
Hot Rats (all except track 2)
Chunga's Revenge (tracks 1, 3, 7, 8, track 4 has scat-singing, so not really voice-free)
Waka/Jawaka (all except 2 & 3)
The Grand Wazoo (2 has lyrics, but 3 wordless singing, everything else voice-free)
Studio Tan (tracks 2 & 4)

From Mothers albums:
Absolutely Free: track 6 (but then you basically only have the mid-section of Call Any Vegetable)
Uncle Meat: Anything entitled or derived from King Kong, also tracks 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 15, 18, 21
Burnt Weeny Sandwich: all except 1 & 9
Weasels Ripped My Flesh: Track 6 and almost track 7, that has some manipulated voices in the noise bit, everything else vocals, stage banter or conducted vocal noises
Fillmore East 1971: Track 9, plus wordless vocals on 1 & 10, notice I didn't say track 6, because it contains holdover vocals from track 5, at least on CD
Apostrophe (track 7)
Roxy & Elsewhere (well, can you accept Napoleon going "yeah yeah Village" in the beginning of 5? Or Zappa's "Watch Ruth" commentary on track 6?)
One Size Fits All (track 3)

Whew! I think I covered FZ' golden age 1966-75. But after that, any instrumental Zappa playlist is probably not complete sans "Black Napkins", "Zoot Allures" and "Watermelon in Easter Hay".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:01 am 

By instrumental you mean no words or no vocals?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:43 am 

Yes, no words or vocals.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:45 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Sleep Dirt in its original vinyl reincarnation (and now restored on the 2012 UME reissue) was Zappa's first all-instrumental album. Then came "Orchestral Favorites", but that was orchestral music, so I dunno if you want to add any of orchestral music to this playlist. In which case, both LSO records would also be a safe bet.

From the jazz-rock albums:
Hot Rats (all except track 2)
Chunga's Revenge (tracks 1, 3, 7, 8, track 4 has scat-singing, so not really voice-free)
Waka/Jawaka (all except 2 & 3)
The Grand Wazoo (2 has lyrics, but 3 wordless singing, everything else voice-free)
Studio Tan (tracks 2 & 4)

From Mothers albums:
Absolutely Free: track 6 (but then you basically only have the mid-section of Call Any Vegetable)
Uncle Meat: Anything entitled or derived from King Kong, also tracks 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 15, 18, 21
Burnt Weeny Sandwich: all except 1 & 9
Weasels Ripped My Flesh: Track 6 and almost track 7, that has some manipulated voices in the noise bit, everything else vocals, stage banter or conducted vocal noises
Fillmore East 1971: Track 9, plus wordless vocals on 1 & 10, notice I didn't say track 6, because it contains holdover vocals from track 5, at least on CD
Apostrophe (track 7)
Roxy & Elsewhere (well, can you accept Napoleon going "yeah yeah Village" in the beginning of 5? Or Zappa's "Watch Ruth" commentary on track 6?)
One Size Fits All (track 3)

Whew! I think I covered FZ' golden age 1966-75. But after that, any instrumental Zappa playlist is probably not complete sans "Black Napkins", "Zoot Allures" and "Watermelon in Easter Hay".

Thanks...good work. The albums after 1975 are the hardest to remember which songs have vocals and which don't.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 am 

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/lyrics/index.html
That site could help just click on the Albums all the lyrics are there just look for some songs with none,The ones i posted for MAJNH i just classed them as Instrumentals even if there is a word or too on some but not verse and chorus if that makes a sense they got more going for them as Instrumentals.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:15 am 

cleon wrote:
That site could help just click on the Albums all the lyrics are there just look for some songs with none,The ones i posted for MAJNH i just classed them as Instrumentals even if there is a word or too on some but not verse and chorus if that makes a sense they got more going for them as Instrumentals.

Thanks, I was hoping something like that existed. That will work for me!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:38 am 

d10s wrote:
cleon wrote:

Thanks, I was hoping something like that existed. That will work for me!!!!!

Glad too help.I suppose there maybe a few more around on demos and stuff none spring too mind at the moment.and like Ed Organus Maximus said Sleep Dirt can be found with no vocals and on Disk now,it shows as having vocals on the link i posted though the rest of the Albums are correct for what you where looking for :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:56 pm 

cleon wrote:
Glad too help...
(this English... ;-) sorry :-) )

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:53 am 

RDNZL, mother of all Zappa instrumentals...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:30 pm 

just out of curiosity why do you want to make a playlist of purely non-vocal, completely instrumental in every way songs? :?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:48 am 

Don't forget to include the title track of Weasals

Awesomely robust