Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Zappa starter set
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:40 am 

Did the ZFT not release the original 68 mix without those tracks in 2012? If they are known to be disliked by fans so much, why keep them on the disc?

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:54 am 

Unfortunately UM was one of the albums not to get the original vinyl mix treatment.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:02 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
Did the ZFT not release the original 68 mix without those tracks in 2012? If they are known to be disliked by fans so much, why keep them on the disc?

Of course the ZFT would never rerelease anything FZ did that was known to be disliked by fans. :D

The popular theory is that they are saving the vinyl mix for a future "Project/Object" reissue that could also include bonus tracks. Gail has confirmed in one of the "GZ Sez" posts that there are plans for an Uncle Meat P/O release.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:17 am 

pbuzby wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

Of course the ZFT would never rerelease anything FZ did that was known to be disliked by fans. :D

The popular theory is that they are saving the vinyl mix for a future "Project/Object" reissue that could also include bonus tracks. Gail has confirmed in one of the "GZ Sez" posts that there are plans for an Uncle Meat P/O release.
I would really like that. Also an UM DVD release. :P

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:06 pm 

Zappa had albums that were major works, with what was mostly new material at the time, like WOIIFTM, where it's a broad mix of elements that were crafted together over a significant period of time. If you're relatively new to FZ and are collecting his albums, my advice would be to buy these core ones first. Definitely leave the ZFT stuff until later and skip his live compilations and guitar solo collections and various special projects until after you've obtained the following in whatever order you wish.

Freak Out!
Absolutely Free
We're Only In It For The Money
Lumpy Gravy
Cruising With Ruben & The Jets
Uncle Meat
Hot Rats
Burnt Weeny Sandwich
Weasels Ripped My Flesh
Chunga's Revenge
Fillmore East—June 1971
Frank Zappa's 200 Motels
Just Another Band From L.A.
Waka/Jawaka
The Grand Wazoo
Over-Nite Sensation
Apostrophe
Roxy & Elsewhere
One Size Fits All
Bongo Fury
Zoot Allures
Zappa In New York
Studio Tan
Sleep Dirt
Sheik Yerbouti
Orchestral Favorites
Joe's Garage
Tinsel Town Rebellion
You Are What You Is
Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch
The Man From Utopia
London Symphony Orchestra
Boulez conducts Zappa: The Perfect Stranger
Them Or Us
Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention
Jazz From Hell
Broadway The Hard Way
The Yellow Shark
Civilization Phaze III

Yes, there is some very tasty stuff in the rest of the catalogue, but these 39 albums are a mind blowing testament to a man who died prematurely and still managed to produce this phenomenal variety of work.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:51 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Yes, since you WILL buy all the albums eventually, it makes sense to me to start at the beginning and buy in order. How could you go wrong?

Yeah....I started with Joe's Garage and Sheik Yerbouti, then went postal on the whole catalog and wasn't satisfied until I got it ALL!

You're headed in the right direction...avoid Jazz from Hell, Civilization Phaze III and the Yellow Shark stuff for now....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:55 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
I do plan on getting them all. It will take a long time but it will happen.

I think my next purchases will be ZA, BF, WOIIFTM, UM, CWRATJ, WRMF & YCDTOSA 2&6.

Then I'll really start to dig deep. Am I the only person who just can't get into FREAK OUT!? I have listened to it a few times and there are moments of pure magic and I like the flow, especially the later part of the disc but it doesn't do much for me. I'll give it another listen tonight.

Freak Out came early-ish for me.....I found it at a friends house,and borrowed it...(and listened to it in a "altered state" the first time) and thought that it was wild, especially given the fact of WHEN it was recorded!

The "MOFO" version of it will give you an even DEEPER appreciation for it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:11 pm 

Because I really want CWRATJ and LG/WOIIFTM should I just get Greasy Love Songs and Lumpy Money? Is diving into Poject/Object straight away a good idea? Also I'm thinking about buying Läther, is there any certain version I should look out for at all?

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:09 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
Because I really want CWRATJ and LG/WOIIFTM should I just get Greasy Love Songs and Lumpy Money? Is diving into Poject/Object straight away a good idea? Also I'm thinking about buying Läther, is there any certain version I should look out for at all?

Yeah, since they contain the original albums in the proper order, and just give alternate mixes...I'd go with those versions rather than buying the album...then getting the re-do...save money!

Läther? I always LIKED that album, and since it's the original version of a few, and contains most of if not all of the music after they split it up I'd say it was a good choice to start with... I tend to reach for that myself! I'm not sure that there's more than one "mix" of it, really...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:04 pm 

So today I got Greasy Love Songs. May get Lumpy Money but it is fairly costly, especially here in England. I'll get the version of Lather with Zappa on the front I think but then I'm stuck. I feel I NEED TGW, FO, ZA, JFH, OSFA & CR. So where should I head next? I don't own any Flo & Eddie stuff yet. But I might as well finish my Napoleon M Brock era of albums.

So many albums, so little cash T_T

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:18 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
I feel I NEED TGW, FO, ZA, JFH, OSFA & CR. So where should I head next? I don't own any Flo & Eddie stuff yet. But I might as well finish my Napoleon M Brock era of albums.

Go ahead and get the Lather with FZ face on front. Then get TGW, Waka Jawaka, JFH, and OSFA if you don't already. If you want more Napoleon M Brock albums, get YCDTOSA Vol. 2, The Dub Room Special, and the upcoming Roxy By Proxy!! Posthumous albums like One Shot Deal might also be of interest later on, as well as Imaginary Diseases and Wazoo.

Chunga's Revenge is a good FZ album IMO, and has some good George Duke moments, but depending on how much you like the Flo n Eddie dominant tracks, you might want to hold off on other albums from that era until you've bought more of Frank's other albums.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, November 2010
Dance Me This and The Rage And The Fury should be out by 2012.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, March 28, 2012
Within the year from now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:44 am 

Okay awesome I'll get through them to start off with. I feel I'm neglecting the 80's here. What is Them Or Us like? I never here anything about it and haven't heard much from it. It just seems to be a 3/5 star album that people don't talk about.

And I'm pretty much a virgin when it comes to Flo & Eddie so I'm willing to jump in anywhere. I still don't know what peoples problems are with them working with Zappa.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:26 am 

Also are the versions of songs on Lather the same as the versions on SD/ZINY/OF & ST? For example does Regyption Strut sound exactly the same on Lather as it does on Sleep Dirt?

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:55 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
Also are the versions of songs on Lather the same as the versions on SD/ZINY/OF & ST? For example does Regyption Strut sound exactly the same on Lather as it does on Sleep Dirt?
:arrow: .iink
:arrow: .zappa patio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:35 pm 

By the looks of things not too much changes were made, only some overdubs on a few songs.

Now I need to figure out if I put the album before Sheik Yerbouti or after Yellow Shark in my chronologically ordered collection.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also