Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:57 am 

The "Louie Louie" track is one of the more enigmatic edit jobs FZ ever put out. It'd be interesting if more of that gig exists in the vault but who knows.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:53 am 

Comon guys
I think the joke was....
sitting at the famous organ in the Royal Albert Hall and playing something as
"lowly" as Louie Louie. That surely is the joke.
Also they were told not to go near the thing and Frank
must have thought "FUCK YOU! How can we come here and NOT play it?!"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:20 am 

I can't wait! :mrgreen:

Let us hope we get this:

DISC 1: The original album, remastered from the analog source.

DISC 2: If the penalty tracks necessarily has to be on this album, then put them on disc 2 along with unreleased tracks, alternate takes and random studio chatter.

DISC 3: Dvd, the Uncle Meat movie.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 am 

jeddy wrote:
Comon guys
I think the joke was....
sitting at the famous organ in the Royal Albert Hall and playing something as
"lowly" as Louie Louie. That surely is the joke.
Also they were told not to go near the thing and Frank
must have thought "FUCK YOU! How can we come here and NOT play it?!"

That's what I suspect may have very well been the point of this piece. Now of course, the terrible lo-fi sound, it certainly sounds as though a tape recorder was placed into a pocket of Motorhead's jacket or something. Or simply there were no possibilities to record the show any better. I guess the Stockholm gig bootlegged on "Season to be Jelly" must've been broadcast for the Swedish radio or something, that's why it sounds so reasonable for its time, a clear-ish soundboard.

Come to think of it, "God Bless America" sounds similarly shit-poor, the drums have the sound of a trashcan. This must've been another musical joke, a bastardisation of a patriotic anthem followed by a FZ/Tripp percussion excerpt from "Enigmas 1 thru 5".

Of course, "King Kong" part VI with Underwood's sax solo sounds more reasonably recorded. Underwood's other "whipping out" stands out again more for its incendiary power than how well it all sounds.

Now compare how good the live bits worked into "Holiday in Berlin" and "Little House" sound on "Burnt Weeny Sandwich".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:15 am 

SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:
Let us hope we get this:

DISC 1: The original album, remastered from the analog source.

DISC 2: If the penalty tracks necessarily has to be on this album, then put them on disc 2 along with unreleased tracks, alternate takes and random studio chatter.

DISC 3: Dvd, the Uncle Meat movie.

Well, if we get the movie on a DVD (not blu-ray, I hope for purely selfish reasons), then it would be pointless to include those endless dialogue tracks as audio. I'd be more interested in getting the original 3-LP No Commercial Potential if a finished version exists in the vaults. Say...

DISC 1: Uncle Meat LP mix

DISC 2: No Commerical Potential part 1

DISC 3: No Commerical Potential part 2, My Guitar/Dog Breath single, outtakes

DISC 4: DVD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:33 am 

I have a sneaking suspicion that the original "No Commercial Potential" contained a fair bit of material later released on "Burnt Weeny" and possibly even "Weasels". "Holiday in Berlin" would've definitely had come out on NCP, had FZ managed to stay true to his original plans.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:49 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that the original "No Commercial Potential" contained a fair bit of material later released on "Burnt Weeny" and possibly even "Weasels".

Yes, that's most likely the case. But it would be fascinating to hear how FZ had originally edited it all together. And even though nearly all of the tracks would be familiar, they would be different edits/mixes. For example, the original version of "If We'd All Been Living in California" is said to have ended with FZ denying that he was taping the conversation; and if we believe FZ's Rolling Stone interview, "Cops and Buns" on NCP was eight minutes long.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:03 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
For example, the original version of "If We'd All Been Living in California" is said to have ended with FZ denying that he was taping the conversation;

If I recall right it ends with something like JCB saying "has that thing been on?" and FZ saying "don't worry about it."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:24 am 

pbuzby wrote:
If I recall right it ends with something like JCB saying "has that thing been on?" and FZ saying "don't worry about it."

Thanks--I'm probably confusing it with something I just read in the Howard Kaylan book about FZ flat-out denying that he was taping something that showed up on Playground Psychotics. (Or am I imagining that, too?) :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:22 am 

what a fantastic news! but it'll be under $100, I won't buy it.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:26 pm 

jeddy wrote:
Oh hell.....alright!
Throw the damn movie in!
If you drink enough it may not be THAT BAD...

It never really "elevated" Frank's greatness for me though...just cheapened it.
Maybe that was the idea...
Just look at the cover of the album!
Probably one of the most repulsive album covers OF ALL TIME!

I LOVE IT!!

It's the "ugly freak" side of Frank that was so inseparable from his genius.
What a two-sided coin he was!

It's my favorite MOI cover. Maybe before I die I can get a hologram of that sculpture... :shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:55 am 

As Unlce Meat project/object has already been announced, all the sixties albums that were NOT remastered from analog tapes would have such a release.
R&E will at least have a dvd-release, maybe a p/o-release as well with the original mix of Cheepnis?
What about OF then? A release of the whole concert (most of the parts incl Rollo have been released in multiple places already).

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:22 pm 

Can't wait for this release, though I don't have any of the P/O albums yet. Uncle Meat is my favorite 60s Mothers album.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:55 pm 

Sooooo
What happened to Uncle Meat Project/Object???

We need this!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:15 am 

Yes. I eagerly await this release. I'll bet money it's released some time between October and December, along with Dance Me This, Roxy By Proxy, and Road Tapes #2 - '73 with Jean-Luc Ponty and Sal Marquez.

(**hopes**)

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, November 2010
Dance Me This and The Rage And The Fury should be out by 2012.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, March 28, 2012
Within the year from now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:53 pm 

I would do unimaginable things to have a fully sanctioned and cleaned up show from the 73 Ponty band.
Especially something from OZ.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:15 pm 

BillyDaMt wrote:
I would do unimaginable things to have a fully sanctioned and cleaned up show from the 73 Ponty band.

I could die happy if they would just release the San Diego show from that tour, which had Don Preston sitting in.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:16 pm 

I'd be down for a box-set including one show from the early summer tour with Sal Marquez, and one from the late summer tour, without Sal Marquez. Both had slightly different feels to them, though featuring similar lineups. But I'll be happy with anything.

Some more info about this Uncle Meat P/O, and any other upcoming releases, would be nice. Besides the re-release of "Token", I feel like the ZFT has been very quiet in since the last albums/reissues were released last December.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, November 2010
Dance Me This and The Rage And The Fury should be out by 2012.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, March 28, 2012
Within the year from now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:53 pm 

The only reason I haven't got UM yet is because I don't want to skip tracks to get to King Kong and I don't want to pay for penalty/punishment/ear rape tracks.
So if the Project Object takes them off completely or moves them onto different disc I'll get it. And if they are contained on its own disc I will just throw it out the fucking window.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:20 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
And if they are contained on its own disc I will just throw it out the fucking window.

Problem Fucking Solved 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:41 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
The only reason I haven't got UM yet is because I don't want to skip tracks to get to King Kong and I don't want to pay for penalty/punishment/ear rape tracks.

My first copy of Uncle Meat was the 1987 Ryko so I got accustomed to putting in disc two and skipping tracks one, two and three. In fact, I find it hard to get used to King Kong having a cold start since I am used to that leftover film noise that starts track four on the CD.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:12 am 

Oh man!
It would be so easy to just leave the film "ephemera" chatty-chat OFF the fucking release!
People can just keep their Ryko versions if they want to hear it. Problem solved.
Also....if it's a "project/object" box then INCLUDE the retarded movie
and all the film dialogue is there baby!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:49 am 

I've already "butchered" some of my favorite CDs: so now I have a shortened version of Uncle Meat and Joe's Garage. Without all the unneccessary, boring stuff, and so my CDs become very dense, very enjoyable thing. :-) Joe's Garage - oh man, almost the soloalbum of Vinnie Colaiuta - and the guitar work! Just amazing - and almost NO words! :-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:04 am 

Well, if Joe & G wanna get up to 100 by the end of the year....they better get moving!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:08 pm 

I just want to know why he put that stupid song there. The dialogue I sort of get but that song was so out of place.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next