Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Heavy Fucking Metal!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:29 am 

Yeah I saw an interview with Geezer where he said some of the stuff he was into inspired it all. And he had a dream/vision that Satan was stood at the end of his bed so he went about writing the song Black Sabbath. Truly the godfather of doomy lyrics.

And of course Black Widow's Come To The Sabbath was massively influential on all these bands.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:27 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I very rarely give anyone credit for inventing genres but Tony Iommi invented metal. The song Black Sabbath from 1970 is not blues rock. Metal came from Iommi chopping off the tips of his 2 fingers. He wasn't playing that way before the accident.

Nod to Geezer for the lyrics.

Funny the Bell Toll on the beginning of that song is supposed too be the sound from the Metal Works,Fingers made him use Lower Tuning that already been done,used light Gauge Strings can't see that doing much disadvantage for Metal Chords,They Probably just had the golden hand shack from the record company's first other bands had a couple of Heavy IMHO heavier than those most of the album it sounds Cheesy anyhow or prog-rock at best :P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:26 pm 

Strapping Young Lad, Devin Townsend, Bottled Science, Meshuggah, Botch, Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge, Protest the Hero, Mastodon, Slayer, Dream Theater, Planet X...

This is my take at something metal :)

Sterbus - Black Delivery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjjHf6weISA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:07 pm 

I pretty much started being an Iron Maiden and Metallica fan. I used to have many heavy metal LPs from Kreator, Exciter, Slayer, Sepultura, Nuclear Assault, Sodom, Possessed, Destruction, Motorhead, Dio, Ozzy, etc, besides Iron and Metallica. I stopped listening to Iron Maiden Pretty much around Fear of the Dark and Metallica after the Black Album. Recently (a couple of years maybe) I often go back to some of that material just for a change, I listen mostly to Jazz and Progressive Rock, I guess...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:57 pm 

cleon wrote:
other bands had a couple of Heavy IMHO heavier than those most of the album it sounds Cheesy

I wasn't talking about "heavy", I was talking about Metal.

Fuck "genres" anyway. And fuck people who come up with the names of 'em.

If Iommi wouldn't have been so busy trying to please the narrow minded metalheads (ha!) (or was it the record label?) he probably would have released some really cool shit in the last 30 years. The first 8 or 10 albums seem sincere but after that it all starts to seem like so much "product" aimed at the metal demographic. That's understandable and I don't mean this as criticism. But I bet Iommi has recorded some amazing, personal, non-metal originals over the years. I'd love to hear that stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:58 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
cleon wrote:
other bands had a couple of Heavy IMHO heavier than those most of the album it sounds Cheesy

I wasn't talking about "heavy", I was talking about Metal.

Fuck "genres" anyway. And fuck people who come up with the names of 'em.

If Iommi wouldn't have been so busy trying to please the narrow minded metalheads (ha!) (or was it the record label?) he probably would have released some really cool shit in the last 30 years. The first 8 or 10 albums seem sincere but after that it all starts to seem like so much "product" aimed at the metal demographic. That's understandable and I don't mean this as criticism. But I bet Iommi has recorded some amazing, personal, non-metal originals over the years. I'd love to hear that stuff.

pathetic Put it this way FZ used the word Heavy For Sabbath in 1971 on 200 motels :smoke:

Yer Fuck Black Sabbath and what they think they invented :mrgreen:

Why Tony Iommi he probably be on the Dole if it weren't for the rest of the band.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:13 pm 

cleon wrote:
Tony Iommi he probably be on the Dole if it weren't for the rest of the band.

Well, he certainly does not have the same level of talent as a musical innovator like yourself.

PS: Your English writing skills are really improving!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:42 am 

All that is metal was born in Detroit -

MC5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAGIIopsBLI

Dick Wagner and The Frost - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g8op8lG ... Z2zwqjWhkM - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeGN2KT- ... BXpO3eVVC8

Alice Cooper - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dtu8gNmkZ8

Detroit Rock City: The Uncensored History of Rock & Roll in America's Loudest City - http://www.austinchronicle.com/music/20 ... dest-city/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:15 am 

http://mapofmetal.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:32 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
All that is metal was born in Detroit

American metal yes for it is an industrial city. In England metal was born in the midlands, it was all metal works. Metal was in the air. Birmingham was the birthplace of metal with bands like Sabbath, Priest and many others.

You guys need to check out the banger production stuff like:

Metal: A Headbangers Journey.

Global Metal.

Metal Evolution.

All of these are available online. First 2 on youtube and Netflix and the last on VH1.com

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:56 pm 

The real Fathers of Metal... :smoke:

Budgie is a Welsh hard rock/heavy metal band from Cardiff. They are described by author Gary Sharpe-Young as one of the earliest heavy metal bands and a seminal influence to many acts of that scene,[2] with fast, heavy rock (an influence on the New Wave of British Heavy Metal (NWOBHM) and acts such as Metallica)[3] being played as early as 1971.[4] The band has been noted as "among the heaviest metal of its day".[5] Notable Budgie songs include "Breadfan", "I Can't See My Feelings", "Crash Course In Brain Surgery", "Parents", "I Turned To Stone" and "Napoleon Bona - Parts 1 & 2".

Budgie formed in 1967 in Cardiff, Wales under the name Hills Contemporary Grass. Their original line-up consisted of Burke Shelley on vocals and bass, Tony Bourge on guitar and vocals, and Ray Phillips on drums.[6] After performing several gigs in 1968, the band changed their name to Budgie the following year and recorded their first demo.[2] The band originally formed under such names as Hills Contemporary Grass and Six Ton Budgie.[7] Burke Shelley has said that the band's name came from the fact that he, "loved the idea of playing noisy, heavy rock, but calling ourselves after something diametrically opposed to that".[8]

Their debut album in strong blues oriented hard rock lines was recorded at Rockfield Studios with Black Sabbath producer Rodger Bain[9] and released in 1971, followed by Squawk in 1972. The third album, Never Turn Your Back On a Friend (1973), contained "Breadfan", which was covered by Metallica in 1988, the band having covered another Budgie song, "Crash Course In Brain Surgery" earlier in their career. Ray Philips left the band before the fourth album In for the Kill! was recorded and was replaced by Pete Boot.

Post subject: Re: metal
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:15 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
go spin some blue cheer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:28 pm 

Heavy = metal? I think the doomy chords and lyrics are what separates metal from heavy. If heavy=metal than Hendrix, Coltrane (Om, anyone?), Sonny Sharrock, Blue Cheer etc are all metal. But they are not. I hate genres anyway. Call it what you want. But Budgie? That's not the roots of metal as we know it today. Or does loud=heavy? Forget it, I don't care.

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Detroit Rock City: The Uncensored History of Rock & Roll in America's Loudest City - http://www.austinchronicle.com/music/20 ... dest-city/

The editor of this oral history seems to be envious of Sonic Rendezvous Band's much deserved approbation. Lame.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:29 pm 

Da, da, da , dummy, da, da, da, dum.
You know my papa-mama said I gotsta' earn sum money.
To go ridin' in the car come next Sunday.
Sometimes I wonder what I'm a gonna do,
Lord there ain't no cure for the Summertime Blues.
Bum, bum, bum, dweedle, bum, bum, bum. ~ Blue Cheer

That's all the heavy metal I know other than gold, mercury, lead, copper, silver and a fellow from Stockton with a plate in his head.
:|

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:36 pm 

Summertime Blues is Heavy Metal. Cool!

I want Zappa to be filed under Smooth Jazz.
Okay?

And Lou Reed is Hip Hop.

Maybe genres aren't so bad after all.

Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen- Show Tunes!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:40 pm 

Dethklok - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W35dyPTh6o

Metalocalypse: Dethklok Documentary - The Making of Dethalbum 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GK-JSsP39E

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:44 am 

Here goes...
There is no Heavy Metal. Not anymore. There used to be, because people used to use the word "Heavy". Now, 'heavy' has about as much impact as 'Groovy', that is, almost none.
I could say that someone has a heavy guitar sound, but it would be less metaphor and more of an analogous descriptor saying that the guitar sounds as if it is being made by a heavy being or machine. So, one might say that Heavy Metal is any music that sounds like it is being made by a heavy being or machine. Nope. Unless its just you saying it to your friends. No one uses the fucking word 'Heavy' the way they used to, outside of music. But, that wasn't always the case. It used to be a variation of 'Cool' and used on clothes, cars, whatever. Now, people will only use it for certain sounds like a guitar or bass, but no one any more says "you're new band certainly has a heavy sound". No one I know of anyway. One might as well say "Lay some of that heavy shit on me my man". Led Zeppelin used to be Heavy Metal. Any young Metal Fan hearing them for the first time today would probably just call it Rock, and if they used the word heavy it would be "They are nowhere near as heavy as about a million other bands".
If there is anything today that is new and resembles what used to be called Heavy Metal, it would be Stoner Rock. But, we've already had that thread here and half the people thought it was Music to Get Stoned To, rather than a synonym of Doom.
Now, "Metal", that's used all the time still today. People who are in Metal Bands want to be known as being in Metal Bands. It might be interesting to poll high school and college kids who are in a Metal Band and ask them if they are in a Heavy Metal Band. I'm predicting rolled eyes and a sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:59 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Here goes...
There is no Heavy Metal. Not anymore. There used to be, because people used to use the word "Heavy". Now, 'heavy' has about as much impact as 'Groovy', that is, almost none.
I could say that someone has a heavy guitar sound, but it would be less metaphor and more of an analogous descriptor saying that the guitar sounds as if it is being made by a heavy being or machine. So, one might say that Heavy Metal is any music that sounds like it is being made by a heavy being or machine. Nope. Unless its just you saying it to your friends. No one uses the fucking word 'Heavy' the way they used to, outside of music. But, that wasn't always the case. It used to be a variation of 'Cool' and used on clothes, cars, whatever. Now, people will only use it for certain sounds like a guitar or bass, but no one any more says "you're new band certainly has a heavy sound". No one I know of anyway. One might as well say "Lay some of that heavy shit on me my man". Led Zeppelin used to be Heavy Metal. Any young Metal Fan hearing them for the first time today would probably just call it Rock, and if they used the word heavy it would be "They are nowhere near as heavy as about a million other bands".
If there is anything today that is new and resembles what used to be called Heavy Metal, it would be Stoner Rock. But, we've already had that thread here and half the people thought it was Music to Get Stoned To, rather than a synonym of Doom.
Now, "Metal", that's used all the time still today. People who are in Metal Bands want to be known as being in Metal Bands. It might be interesting to poll high school and college kids who are in a Metal Band and ask them if they are in a Heavy Metal Band. I'm predicting rolled eyes and a sigh.

Good stuff... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:30 am 

Captain Beyond!
Case closed. End quibble now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:46 am 

Pope Jim wrote:
Captain Beyond!
Case closed. End quibble now.

Space Metal :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:45 pm 

Plook wrote:
The real Fathers of Metal... :smoke:

Budgie is a Welsh hard rock/heavy metal band from Cardiff. They are described by author Gary Sharpe-Young as one of the earliest heavy metal bands and a seminal influence to many acts of that scene,[2] with fast, heavy rock (an influence on the New Wave of British Heavy Metal (NWOBHM) and acts such as Metallica)[3] being played as early as 1971.[4] The band has been noted as "among the heaviest metal of its day".[5] Notable Budgie songs include "Breadfan", "I Can't See My Feelings", "Crash Course In Brain Surgery", "Parents", "I Turned To Stone" and "Napoleon Bona - Parts 1 & 2".

Budgie formed in 1967 in Cardiff, Wales under the name Hills Contemporary Grass. Their original line-up consisted of Burke Shelley on vocals and bass, Tony Bourge on guitar and vocals, and Ray Phillips on drums.[6] After performing several gigs in 1968, the band changed their name to Budgie the following year and recorded their first demo.[2] The band originally formed under such names as Hills Contemporary Grass and Six Ton Budgie.[7] Burke Shelley has said that the band's name came from the fact that he, "loved the idea of playing noisy, heavy rock, but calling ourselves after something diametrically opposed to that".[8]

Their debut album in strong blues oriented hard rock lines was recorded at Rockfield Studios with Black Sabbath producer Rodger Bain[9] and released in 1971, followed by Squawk in 1972. The third album, Never Turn Your Back On a Friend (1973), contained "Breadfan", which was covered by Metallica in 1988, the band having covered another Budgie song, "Crash Course In Brain Surgery" earlier in their career. Ray Philips left the band before the fourth album In for the Kill! was recorded and was replaced by Pete Boot.
From Tredegar not Cardiff About a Cloud from Ebbw Vale steel works :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:10 pm 

Pope Jim wrote:
quibble

Great metal band!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:11 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Here goes...

There's still 'heavy metal' as a sub-genre of 'metal', in the same way as thrash- and speed- are sub-genres.
Heavy metal is alive and well, but is somewhat of a throwback.
Metal Hammer magazine regularly uses the term, and not in an ironic way.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:38 am 

WOW man that's heavy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:47 am 

Yeah, Right On! Far Out! Its the Bananas!

These doofuses probably still use the term too:
But at least they don't call it That Heavy Metal Show.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next