Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Posthumous releases
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:04 am 

Hiya friends!

I used to be a regular on these boards, some five or six years ago. It's cool to see that a lot of the same regular people from back then are still around. I used to be a diehard fan, but haven't really kept up with any Zappa-related news for a couple of years now. I remember being pretty disappointed with some of the posthumous releases I bought back then (Joe's Domage and the like, think I listened to those once of twice and shelved them), but I do enjoy the Wazoo albums. Since then, I haven't really kept up with any other ZFT releases until I heard about the new Roxy cd pre-order. Any other recommendations for good posthumous stuff? Thanks in advance!

PS.. George Duke RIP.

Post subject: Re: Posthumous releases
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:08 am 

I'd say "Hammersmith Odeon" is a pretty good representation of the Belew-Bozzio band. Plus, it finally offers the 1978 arrangement of "Little House" piano introduction! Good energy overall and some terrific improv.

I also like "Road Tapes Vol 1" with the early post-Collins Mothers in August 1968, before they went for the European tour. Great version of "Holiday in Berlin". But then, I'm a sucker for anything original MOI. But if you like Flo & Eddie band, then perhaps "Carnegie Hall" will tickle your fancy. A big monster setup, with excellent versions of "Billy the Mountain" and the big instrumentals esp. "King Kong", a 30 minute version (perhaps the longest released, discounting the BTB II 1970 version).

Still sadly no 1973 JLP band. But maybe one fine day...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:26 am 

Lumpy Money, Philly '76, Greasy Love Songs (for original vinyl mix). Many of the original titles have recently been rereleased from the original analog masters - http://lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinyl ... tpoop.html , Feeding the Monkies At Ma Maison if you like the Synclavier stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:56 pm 

Oh I see, by Wazoo albums you must mean this one too. Anyway, strongly recommended...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:52 pm 

Finer Moments came out last year and was an actual project Frank had put together and never released in '72. A lot of good stuff, especially Frank conducting Art Tripp on percussion, reminiscent of similar efforts on BWS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:35 pm 

Hey Studebaker, long time no see. I suppose you have EIHN already? That one is definitely a cut above.

Post subject: Re: posthumous releases
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:19 pm 

ImageImage Image Image