Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:25 pm 

hey zappa fans......
you saw the 32 minute video on youtube from the Roxy show?
Ya'll did right??
Soooooo.....

Hey!
You probably all have "roxy and elsewhere" right?
Do you like it?? Huh?

Sooooo...
What would any of our "reviews" matter??? Eh?

It's a "no-brainer."

DUMBBELLS seems about right.

This is why we have credit cards.
To buy Zappa music!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:19 pm 

You must realize that the perceived loyal fan/dumbbell dichotomy relies too heavily on an implicit argument ad verecundiam at this stage of the 'marketing campaign'?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:59 pm 

WalkerJWalker wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:
I'll get it at some point. The Roxy band was perfect. Why Zappa didn't keep them confuses me.

Chester did a Q&A a couple of years ago I attended and said the the reason he left the band was the Frank had just bought a bunch of video and editing equipment so FZ wanted to stay home in his studio and learn how to use it. FZ cancelled all the upcoming gigs (I guess the rest of the band got notice) and Chester took the seat with Weather Report (then Phil Collins called and offered him big money to tour with Genesis).

Hmm, apparently FZ only had a three month touring gap (Jan-Apr) in 1975, between Chester's last work for Zappa and the first concert with Bozzio. There are no cancelled dates prior april in FZ Giglist 1975. Parts of the rest of the band (Napoleon, Tom, George) went on to Bongo Fury lineup. Of course, I guess Captain Beefheart must've come to plead for joining Zappa some time after Chester decided to leave.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:20 am 

A review is a very useful tool if you can figure out how to use it. I'll hold out myself and wait for the reviews and possibly my birthday or St Nicholas. Croesus I ain't.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:52 am 

Have you thought about using your newly aquired club juggling skills to earn some money :mrgreen:

I don't think there are many people in on or around the forum that are as wealthy as Croesus, except for maybe Plook :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:07 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Hmm, apparently FZ only had a three month touring gap (Jan-Apr) in 1975, between Chester's last work for Zappa and the first concert with Bozzio.

Yes, Chester gave the same explanation in an 80's interview and I found it puzzling for the same reasons (especially considering that FZ was on the road most of 74, and spent most of that early 75 break putting together One Size Fits All).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:30 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
Hmm, apparently FZ only had a three month touring gap (Jan-Apr) in 1975, between Chester's last work for Zappa and the first concert with Bozzio.

Yes, Chester gave the same explanation in an 80's interview and I found it puzzling for the same reasons (especially considering that FZ was on the road most of 74, and spent most of that early 75 break putting together One Size Fits All).

Chester was probably being diplomatic. Weather Report certainly offered a bit more opportunity for self expression. Of course, that does not explain Genesis. Maybe it was the money.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:21 pm 

Wasn't Chester Thompson just used for their live shows? I don't recall him being credited on any of the Genesis studio albums.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:22 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
pbuzby wrote:

Chester was probably being diplomatic. Weather Report certainly offered a bit more opportunity for self expression. Of course, that does not explain Genesis. Maybe it was the money.

If I recall right Chester said somewhere else he thought FZ's lyrics were becoming too negative, or something along those lines.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:03 pm 

Well in the light of "Po-Jama People" not so surprising he may have felt that way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:26 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Wasn't Chester Thompson just used for their live shows? I don't recall him being credited on any of the Genesis studio albums.

Correctamundo. His main function was to drum while Phil was up front singing and dancing.
The drum duets were a happy bonus!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:30 pm 

Too negative? Lucky he didn't play on Zoot Allures!

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:40 pm 

DC Boogie wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
DC Boogie wrote:
I will probably buy this if the reviews are favourable.

It's 1973 Roxy band Frank Zappa for fucks sake. If you need to wait for reviews to make a decision about buying this then you are a not a real fan and also a dumbbell.

Undiscerning Zappa fan is an oxymoron. This thread was intended for relevant discussion, which you suck at/hate. Quit if you can't stand it.

Now get back on topic.

It's not even out yet. What the fuck else is there to discuss that hasn't already been? Shut yer shittaster and start a new thread the day it comes out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:26 pm 

Who decides there's nothing more to discuss, presumably when the Chester thing is finished? Jaypfunk? The question is more if it's possible to discuss anything at all, when a few boneheaded egoists believe that their two-bit hostile aggression is worth displaying whenever they feel like. Who are the thread police? In my experience it's jaypfunk, who makes sure that this forum never rises above a fanboy playground, complete with shitthrowing at every little disagreement. To throw up a a shitstorm from an innocent reply about waiting for reviews, with insults from get-go, is beyond moronic - it's poison to the climate of the forum. Annoying as Disco Boy and Trendmonger may be, jaypfunk's venomous presence is a more important reason why the forum is in a state - sad. Enough said.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:51 pm 

^ Start a thread and ignore who you want DCB. :idea: I dig that this forum is about Frank and basically should be about him and his music. Some others have agenda's beyond FZ. What can you do? Censor what you can! It's easy, ignore the political flabbergaster's that you don't like. Really, otherwise if you complain you get really big letters and pictures so you know what they mean, ya know man? Then we all get it too, why folks are running for the exits! :roll:

The forum without JPFunk.... why it would be like a wasteland of self indulgent pompous pricks here without him! imho. :wink: :mrgreen:

Right JPF? I know STFU! :evil:

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:01 am 

Flabbergaster's or filibusters. My solution is to read chuckle and move on, it works almost everytime.

I don't know about you, but at 55 my lifes now to short to get angry with the echos from the hollow heads.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:15 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Flabbergaster's or filibusters. My solution is to read chuckle and move on, it works almost everytime.

I don't know about you, but at 55 my lifes now to short to get angry with the echos from the hollow heads.

Like water off a ducks back mate. A Daffy Duck and some fowl water fer sure, but like water off a ducks back just the same to me. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:56 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
Who decides there's nothing more to discuss, presumably when the Chester thing is finished? Jaypfunk? The question is more if it's possible to discuss anything at all, when a few boneheaded egoists believe that their two-bit hostile aggression is worth displaying whenever they feel like. Who are the thread police? In my experience it's jaypfunk, who makes sure that this forum never rises above a fanboy playground, complete with shitthrowing at every little disagreement. To throw up a a shitstorm from an innocent reply about waiting for reviews, with insults from get-go, is beyond moronic - it's poison to the climate of the forum. Annoying as Disco Boy and Trendmonger may be, jaypfunk's venomous presence is a more important reason why the forum is in a state - sad. Enough said.

ahhhhhhhhh sheeeeeed eeeeeeeeeeep!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:40 am 

Why don't you just put him on your foe list, then you don't have to read any of his replies? I don't have him on mine but that's because we need a bit of irreverence now and then. I mean come on, what are we, Air Supply fans?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:04 am 

A very fine line exists between irreverence and trolling. I'm not even sure if I can tell where exactly it does run.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:57 am 

He's an attention whore,plain and simple. Now let's all ignore him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:33 pm 

I consider jayp is here to ensure that we all don't get too mushy and full of ourselves

Gray ghost - I am 59, you young whippersnapper :shock: :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:59 pm 

For fuck's sake, what a load of fucking bullshit. There are a significant number of people who visit this forum who are equally comfortable with reasonable discussion and telling you to get fucked when the need arises. We do not need emotional retards "keeping us in line". This is exactly what happens in my day to day outernet life ever since I left high school. I don't put up with this shit out there and I'm not putting up with it in here. I agree with DC Boogie's last post above and I don't give a shit who thinks otherwise. The only thing I'm encouraged by is that my friends list is longer than my foe list. Bonny has the right term - attention whores.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:03 pm 

polydigm wrote:
For fuck's sake, what a load of fucking bullshit. There are a significant number of people who visit this forum who are equally comfortable with reasonable discussion and telling you to get fucked when the need arises. We do not need emotional retards "keeping us in line". This is exactly what happens in my day to day outernet life ever since I left high school. I don't put up with this shit out there and I'm not putting up with it in here. I agree with DC Boogie's last post above and I don't give a shit who thinks otherwise. The only thing I'm encouraged by is that my friends list is longer than my foe list. Bonny has the right term - attention whores.

Mostly agree and think the ones posting pix below the signature line are in real bad taste. Keep it FZ related or it's like carrying a petty fight/campaign/ hate, to every thread they post in. We don't need police or administration, we have the power to ignore. But if y'all post political pix below the line, your not making any friends here. If you don't want to stop, fine, but don't tread on this forum, we've endured worse and you'll be left dancin' with yourself. It's bad form and in bad tastes. It's plain tacky! Who cares what you say when there's a big picture of some politico you hate/love giving the place bad vibes or just plain hate.
Go to one of those politico hate.com places and argue incessantly there. :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:48 am 

Anyways...the Roxy trailer in case anybody missed it or neglected to get the Baby Snakes DVD. Originally advertised as 20 original songs, 3 complete shows and 4 hours uncut and mixed in 1987 by FZ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2pG-FENeS0

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next