Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space Is Deep
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:02 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:52 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:49 pm 

Astronaut Ron Garan tweeted this photo of the Perseid meteor shower, as seen from the International Space Station.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:20 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Astronaut Ron Garan tweeted this photo of the Perseid meteor shower, as seen from the International Space Station.

how about this?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:42 pm 

Yeah, you heard about trainwreck and shipwreck, but what about galaxywreck?

The Colliding Spiral Galaxies of Arp 271

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:19 pm 

Globular Cluster M2, in the constellation Aquarius...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:46 pm 

Nasa's long-lived Voyager probe crossed into interstellar space last year, becoming the first man-made object to leave the solar system, new research shows.

Scientists have been waiting for Voyager to detect a magnetic field that flows in a different direction than the solar system's magnetic field. But the new research shows that scenario is not accurate.

"We think that the magnetic field within the solar system and in the interstellar are aligned enough that you can actually pass through without seeing a huge change in direction," University of Maryland physicist Marc Swisdak said in an interview with Reuters on Thursday.

That would mean that Voyager actually reached interstellar space last summer when it detected a sudden drop in the number of particles coming from the sun and a corresponding rise in the number of galactic cosmic rays coming from interstellar space.

Not everyone is convinced, however.

Voyager lead scientist Edward Stone, now retired from Nasa's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, said Swisdak's research is interesting but different computer models are portraying different scenarios to explain the Voyager data.

"We know where Voyager is in terms of distance and we know what it is observing. The challenge is relating that to these complex models of the interaction between the interstellar medium and the heliosphere," Stone said, referring to the bubble of space that falls under the sun's influence.

Stone and other scientists believe Voyager is in a previously unknown region, dubbed a "magnetic highway," that exists between the heliosphere and interstellar space.

Voyager 1 and a sister probe, Voyager 2, were launched in 1977 to study the outer planets. Voyager 1 is now about 120 times farther away from the sun than Earth. Voyager 2 is heading out of the solar system in a different direction.

The probes are powered by the slow decay of radioactive plutonium. Voyager 1 will begin running out of energy for its science instruments in 2020. By 2025, it will be completely out of power.

If Swisdak and colleagues are correct, Voyager 1's magnetic field readings will stay pretty much the same throughout the remainder of its mission.

"If they see a strong shift in the magnetic field, a big jump, then that means that what we've outlined can't be correct," Swisdak said.

"I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong here and if I were, that would be kind of cool. But it agrees with all the data that we have so far," he added.

More evidence may come when Voyager 2 crosses the solar system's boundary as well.

The research appears in The Astrophysical Journal Letters.

Reuters

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:14 pm 

The first human-made object to leave the solar system (if you don't count Timothy Leary)...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:04 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
The first human-made object to leave the solar system (if you don't count Timothy Leary)...

Whoa! I've cruised outta the grasp of our solar system a few times, 'taint no big thang. You mighta' done so a few times to, without knowing it. :shock:

Of course if your paranoid it's Aluminum hats, not tin hats that will keep you grounded :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:59 am 

New Physics Complications Lend Support to Multiverse Hypothesis

Decades of confounding experiments have physicists considering a startling possibility: The universe might not make sense

Startling? I've been telling physicists they don't make sense (to me) for years.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... sis&page=4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:00 pm 

They will never actually understand the Universe until they accept that what has been traditionally called Spirit and all those phenomena associated with it, like God, are the missing aspect of physics that resolves all the issues plaguing science... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:05 pm 

Plook wrote:
They will never actually understand the Universe until they accept that what has been traditionally called Spirit and all those phenomena associated with it, like God, are the missing aspect of physics that resolves all the issues plaguing science... :smoke:

There's a reason why it's called metaphysics: if physicists had the job of finding out why things happen, they'd never get anything done...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:49 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Plook wrote:

There's a reason why it's called metaphysics: if physicists had the job of finding out why things happen, they'd never get anything done...

What I mean to say is they will discover it as the missing force in the unified field theory, they know something is missing...its an Occam’s Razor situation, it has been staring them in the face the whole time... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:18 am 

Plook wrote:
What I mean to say is they will discover it as the missing force in the unified field theory, they know something is missing...its an Occam’s Razor situation, it has been staring them in the face the whole time... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:14 am 

Brain don't be a Dick head its a position of ignorance and I am sure you don't want to be there... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:59 am 

Plook wrote:
Dick head...ignorance...

touchy touchy. some seriously thin-skinned people around here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:57 am 

You know not what you say... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:14 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Nasa's long-lived Voyager probe crossed into interstellar space last year, becoming the first man-made object to leave the solar system, new research shows.

Scientists have been waiting for Voyager to detect a magnetic field that flows in a different direction than the solar system's magnetic field. But the new research shows that scenario is not accurate.

"We think that the magnetic field within the solar system and in the interstellar are aligned enough that you can actually pass through without seeing a huge change in direction," University of Maryland physicist Marc Swisdak said in an interview with Reuters on Thursday.

That would mean that Voyager actually reached interstellar space last summer when it detected a sudden drop in the number of particles coming from the sun and a corresponding rise in the number of galactic cosmic rays coming from interstellar space.

Voyager lead scientist Edward Stone, now retired from Nasa's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, said Swisdak's research is interesting but different computer models are portraying different scenarios to explain the Voyager data.

"We know where Voyager is in terms of distance and we know what it is observing. The challenge is relating that to these complex models of the interaction between the interstellar medium and the heliosphere," Stone said, referring to the bubble of space that falls under the sun's influence.

Stone and other scientists believe Voyager is in a previously unknown region, dubbed a "magnetic highway," that exists between the heliosphere and interstellar space.

Voyager 1 and a sister probe, Voyager 2, were launched in 1977 to study the outer planets. Voyager 1 is now about 120 times farther away from the sun than Earth. Voyager 2 is heading out of the solar system in a different direction.

The probes are powered by the slow decay of radioactive plutonium. Voyager 1 will begin running out of energy for its science instruments in 2020. By 2025, it will be completely out of power.

If Swisdak and colleagues are correct, Voyager 1's magnetic field readings will stay pretty much the same throughout the remainder of its mission.

"If they see a strong shift in the magnetic field, a big jump, then that means that what we've outlined can't be correct," Swisdak said.

"I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong here and if I were, that would be kind of cool. But it agrees with all the data that we have so far," he added.

More evidence may come when Voyager 2 crosses the solar system's boundary as well.

Reuters

Voyager has gone about 42 ft. of an 18 mile journey. (microscopically speaking).

There's nothing like a Catholic Girl
With her hand in the box
When she's on her knees

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:27 pm 

Plook wrote:
You know not what you say...

Yea, as I go on down the valley girl's shadow of death, I shall fear no weazils, for Plook is with me! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:21 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:

Yea, as I go on down the valley girl's shadow of death, I shall fear no weazils, for Plook is with me! :mrgreen:

Upon this Kiirk I will build my Spa & Fondue Garden... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:28 am 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:58 am 

Plook wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:

Will your garden wall be made of dark matter?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:00 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

Reuters

Voyager has gone about 42 ft. of an 18 mile journey. (microscopically speaking).

Now you're freaking me out :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:35 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Plook wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Will your garden wall be made of dark matter?

Does it really matter... :smoke:

Zzziiinnnggg!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:53 am 

Naughty NASA, their about to probe the moon...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next