Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 39  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:22 am 

The only thing I give a shit about is if this is a digipak or jewel case release? I have unassembled jewel cases to correct the assholes at UPS or USPS from wrecking my shit, but digipaks I can't replace if they obliterate!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:31 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
polydigm wrote:
For fuck's sake, what a load of fucking bullshit. There are a significant number of people who visit this forum who are equally comfortable with reasonable discussion and telling you to get fucked when the need arises. We do not need emotional retards "keeping us in line". This is exactly what happens in my day to day outernet life ever since I left high school. I don't put up with this shit out there and I'm not putting up with it in here. I agree with DC Boogie's last post above and I don't give a shit who thinks otherwise. The only thing I'm encouraged by is that my friends list is longer than my foe list. Bonny has the right term - attention whores.

Mostly agree and think the ones posting pix below the signature line are in real bad taste. Keep it FZ related or it's like carrying a petty fight/campaign/ hate, to every thread they post in. We don't need police or administration, we have the power to ignore. But if y'all post political pix below the line, your not making any friends here. If you don't want to stop, fine, but don't tread on this forum, we've endured worse and you'll be left dancin' with yourself. It's bad form and in bad tastes. It's plain tacky! Who cares what you say when there's a big picture of some politico you hate/love giving the place bad vibes or just plain hate.
Go to one of those politico hate.com places and argue incessantly there. :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:13 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
polydigm wrote:
For fuck's sake, what a load of fucking bullshit. There are a significant number of people who visit this forum who are equally comfortable with reasonable discussion and telling you to get fucked when the need arises. We do not need emotional retards "keeping us in line". This is exactly what happens in my day to day outernet life ever since I left high school. I don't put up with this shit out there and I'm not putting up with it in here. I agree with DC Boogie's last post above and I don't give a shit who thinks otherwise. The only thing I'm encouraged by is that my friends list is longer than my foe list. Bonny has the right term - attention whores.

Mostly agree and think the ones posting pix below the signature line are in real bad taste. Keep it FZ related or it's like carrying a petty fight/campaign/ hate, to every thread they post in. We don't need police or administration, we have the power to ignore. But if y'all post political pix below the line, your not making any friends here. If you don't want to stop, fine, but don't tread on this forum, we've endured worse and you'll be left dancin' with yourself. It's bad form and in bad tastes. It's plain tacky! Who cares what you say when there's a big picture of some politico you hate/love giving the place bad vibes or just plain hate.
Go to one of those politico hate.com places and argue incessantly there. :idea:

Thanks Poly!
Kirk: you can disable seeing other people's signatures in your User Control Panel, under Board Preferences > Display Options. If it's only one or two signatures that offend you, consider putting those people on your ignore list. If you recall, my signature is political too, to support a friend who has been banned from this place.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:45 pm 

BBP wrote:
Kirk: you can disable seeing other people's signatures in your User Control Panel, under Board Preferences > Display Options. If it's only one or two signatures that offend you, consider putting those people on your ignore list. If you recall, my signature is political too, to support a friend who has been banned from this place.

Thanks Bonny, good to know! I didn't even think of your signature it's so tastefully camouflaged. :lol: It's more about the ones that keep changing or the really big pix of politicos that bugs me. There's enough of that on the internet, TV, magazines, news papers and road signs, I don't need to see it in a thread about George Duke's passing too. I like the Zappa one's though, I can't help meself.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:43 pm 

BBP wrote:
my signature is political too, to support a friend who has been banned from this place.

Why was your friend banned?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:47 pm 

I'm going to buy it but I'd like to buy it from one of the brave/stupid/intrepid folks who shelled out $1000 for a licence, if anyone did.
Surely even if ZFT have not provided you with promotional materials yet anyone who bought a licence could make themselves known here?
I'll happily pay the same prices as BS are charging and even a bit more to support anyone who invested but you need to tell me where to find you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:53 pm 

Well I'm glad they got the cover right, and it says Zappa/Mothers. That sort of bugged me about Road Tapes(Vancouver). Nowhere on the cover/spine does it say Mothers Of Invention. It should have.
There can't be one single most dedicated FZ fan that would pony up the money to do this distro deal. It's absolutely insane. If there was, I'd bet it would be a forumer here, and no one's owned up to it so...
Would be cool if say Abstract Logix, or DGM got in on this deal, but I haven't seen/heard anything. That would probably be the best bet, if another label/distributor that already caters to FZ fans got in on this Roxy deal, but I highly doubt it.

Hope to grab this disc at the ZPZ merch table in October.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:21 pm 

I wondered about that too...if anyone paid the grand for the license, they should know enough to advertise here...

Post subject: re: roxy on ebay
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:48 pm 

naehairbear wrote:
I'm going to buy it but I'd like to buy it from one of the brave/stupid/intrepid folks who shelled out $1000 for a licence, if anyone did...

cd: $21.12
shipping: $2.53
delivered: sept 18-21
3 sold, more than 10 available

looks legit; 100% +ve fb seller from l.a. ... about 3 miles from the umrk

more of these will show up on ebay as the release date gets closer; supply goes up; demand will eventually fall ...

Post subject: Re: re: roxy on ebay
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:01 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

Thanks slime.o. But how do you buy any product online without the man trackin' you? Through Tor or more?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:27 pm 

kapt.kiirk wrote:
...how do you buy any product online without the man trackin' you? ...
anonymous buying agent or anon. re-loadable paypal cc & a mail drop; for amazon, use gift cards & a different mail drop

finally heard from my man eddie in moscow; he couldn't believe it, but slime.o is still draws a ¿not found¿ ... to be sure, he double-checked the archives underneath virginia: 0,0 hits

they still ain't got shit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:46 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
kapt.kiirk wrote:
...how do you buy any product online without the man trackin' you? ...
anonymous buying agent or anon. re-loadable paypal cc & a mail drop; for amazon, use gift cards & a different mail drop

finally heard from my man eddie in moscow; he couldn't believe it, but slime.o is still draws a ¿not found¿ ... to be sure, he double-checked the archives underneath virginia: 0,0 hits

they still ain't got shit

That's great news, bully for you, chili for me, gotta get a handle on framed.

No flies on slime.o. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:54 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
BBP wrote:
my signature is political too, to support a friend who has been banned from this place.

I'd be happy to talk about that but it'd have to go through PM since admin threatened to delete any posts about that topic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:02 am 

crh3e wrote:
The only thing I give a shit about is if this is a digipak or jewel case release? I have unassembled jewel cases to correct the assholes at UPS or USPS from wrecking my shit, but digipaks I can't replace if they obliterate!

Couldn't agree more! The trip from the US to Europe is brutal on cds. But then again, we could find ourselves with a cd case that makes getting the disk out of it an engineering nightmare....remember the Mofo fiasco?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:38 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
naehairbear wrote:
I'm going to buy it but I'd like to buy it from one of the brave/stupid/intrepid folks who shelled out $1000 for a licence, if anyone did...

more of these will show up on ebay as the release date gets closer; supply goes up; demand will eventually fall ...

Thanks for the link. I'm afraid this just highlights the shortcomings of this venture though. That seller isn't making any claims that it is a licenced copy he has for sale. I want to be sure that I'm actually supporting someone who has bought into the ZFT program for this release. I have a horrible feeling that as soon as the BS release appears there are going to be pirate versions doing the rounds almost immediately. I'm not accusing this seller of being a pirate but BS/ZFT need to give us a steer here to that we know who the authorised sellers are and also so that the sellers can identify themselves as legitimate without having to answer lots of questions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:14 am 

BBP wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
BBP wrote:

I'd be happy to talk about that but it'd have to go through PM since admin threatened to delete any posts about that topic.

This one won't:

He deserved it. He begged for it. He got it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:33 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
crh3e wrote:

Couldn't agree more! The trip from the US to Europe is brutal on cds. But then again, we could find ourselves with a cd case that makes getting the disk out of it an engineering nightmare....remember the Mofo fiasco?

I've been lucky so far, no broken digipak FZT cds. Of course the digipaks with the pouches for cds are ok, it's just the ones with the plastic cd trays and spindle glued on I worry about breaking. I'm guessing Roxy by Proxy will be a jewel case since it is priced around 20 bucks?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:53 am 

the musictoday packaging is as cheap as they come, too bad it isn't priced that cheap. I pray for a safe ROXY by PROXY shipment :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:24 am 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
crh3e wrote:
I'm guessing Roxy by Proxy will be a jewel case since it is priced around 20 bucks?

Let's hope so.

I can do without a party hat and balloon (even if I was at that one)

I can't wait to purchase it though - Zappa's finest line-up

Well, perhaps second finest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:18 pm 

naehairbear wrote:
...That seller isn't making any claims that it is a licenced copy he has for sale. I want to be sure that I'm actually supporting someone who has bought into the ZFT program for this release...
good point; the item is listed as 'original'... not sure why it's also listed as in 'acceptable' condition, should say either 'new' or 'v.good'

contact the seller thru ebay messaging, ask if this is a zft-licensed copy before you purchase it & save the sellers response; if you suspect it's not official after you get it, you can return it for almost any reason for full refund ... max. shipping charge for a cd on ebay is 3 bucks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:39 pm 

The Ebay seller says he is licenced and I'll take him at his word, it's a pity ZFT didn't think about some sort of verification though.
I know I'll get Ebay 'protection' such as it is but that is not really my concern, I just want my money to go to someone who has taken the gamble and invested as I sure as hell was not going to.
The really depressing thing about all of this is that it is now more difficult to buy stuff from BS than it was 25 years ago. Back then it was an irritation figuring out the time difference, making an expensive international call where you could hardly hear each other, sending IMO's (who remembers them?) and finally getting shafted by customs when the goods arrived.
Everyone else has joined the 21st Century now and here I am grubbing around attempting to source a cd, there is no guaranteed release date, no certainty that the seller is legit, BS want to rape me for international P&P. It's madness, I want to support the artists I listen to, I buy direct whenever I can and I always will but I'm not surprised that people trot along to P2P sites and download things when some vendors actively go out of their way to make life difficult for potential customers and then shaft us with inflated P&P charges (it does not cost $15 to post a cd from the USA to the UK, no other artist I buy from charges more than $7).
Anyways, moan/rant overI just want to buy the fucking music, it shouldn't be this difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:52 pm 

naehairbear wrote:
(it does not cost $15 to post a cd from the USA to the UK, no other artist I buy from charges more than $7).

To be fair, yes, it does cost that much nowadays, or damn near. The USPS massively increased its international rates a year or so ago. It used to be around $5 or $6 to mail a CD with jewel case in a padded mailer (about 4 to 5 ounces) to Europe; now it's $12.75 for the cheapest rate. And that's not counting the cost of packaging.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:34 pm 

[/quote]
To be fair, yes, it does cost that much nowadays, or damn near. The USPS massively increased its international rates a year or so ago. It used to be around $5 or $6 to mail a CD with jewel case in a padded mailer (about 4 to 5 ounces) to Europe; now it's $12.75 for the cheapest rate. And that's not counting the cost of packaging.[/quote]

I stand corrected, maybe it was BS charging inflated P&P all these years that gave UPS the idea to hike their prices.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:09 am 

Florentine Pogen wrote:

"I was totally blown away by what that band did.
Totally blown away by Dweezil, who has become an incredible guitarist now.

I mean the first time I heard him play, I thought he was OK.
Technically he was OK, he played all..., but he's turned...
He's turned that around, he's another level of guitarist now.

Because they play the music incredibly well.
Better Than I Think We Played It!"
- George Duke

Zappa Plays Zappa 2010 - Uncle Remus - George Duke Memorial

http://youtu.be/XIE57gCyKTM

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:09 am 

Florentine Pogen wrote:

What would you say the first was?

I would say they were the most musically interesting band followed by the original MOI.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 39  Next