Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 96kHz/24bit Zappa?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:46 am 

I am a new member and building my Zappa Library. I was wondering if there were any Hi Res recordings of any Zappa Albums for us computer audio folks?

Post subject: Re: 96kHz/24bit Zappa?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:22 am 

i got aroud 150 vinyrips of my on collection, 25 i maked in 192/24bit. my zapparecords played only ones............still in mint condition. if you need more infos about ripping just contact me. :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:43 pm 

It has been said that most of us (average middle-aged adult) can't really hear in frequencies above 14,000 Hz... But I tend to agree, that a more well sampled wave will be closer to the real thing, and maybe in the collection of waves we can perceive the difference, hence the widespread preference for vinyl as opposed to digital...

Bit depth is very important, though 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:00 pm 

Vinyl cannot get a more realistic representation of sound than CD. There are more artefacts created by every stage of reproducing sound with vinyl than via digital methods. If you like that then fair enough, but digital, even at just the CD level of recording at double the 20kHz range of human hearing will reproduce it more like the original sound than vinyl.

Post subject: re: 96kHz/24bit zappa?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:30 pm 

quadiophiliac & halloween are both 96/24

polydigm wrote:
...even at just the CD level of recording at double the 20kHz range of human hearing...
how can frequencies beyond the range of human hearing improve the sound recording ¿

interesting article: 24/192 music downloads...and why they make no sense

Quote:

... there is no point to distributing
music in 24-bit/192kHz format. Its playback
fidelity is slightly inferior to 16/44.1 or 16/48,
and it takes up 6 times the space.

192kHz digital music files offer no benefits. They're
not quite neutral either; practical fidelity is slightly
worse. The ultrasonics are a liability during playback

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:14 pm 

"This goes to eleven."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:27 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
"This goes to eleven."

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:56 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
polydigm wrote:
...even at just the CD level of recording at double the 20kHz range of human hearing...
... how can frequencies beyond the range of human hearing improve the sound recording ¿
Quote:
For digital systems, the upper limit of the frequency response is determined by the sampling frequency. The choice of sample rate used in a digital system is based on the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem. This states that a sampled signal can be reproduced exactly as long as it is sampled at a frequency greater than twice the bandwidth of the signal. Therefore, a sampling rate of 40 kHz would be theoretically enough to capture all the information contained in a signal having frequency bandwidth up to 20 kHz.

Basically, pure, single frequency vibrations, have one positive and one negative peak per cycle. A twenty kiloherz vibration will therefore have a total of 40 thousand peaks and troughs. So you want a sampling rate a little higher than that to get a reasonable representation of the sound. Remember that twenty kiloherz is the extreme value and lower frequencies will be sampled more than adequately. Even people who have ears that can detect high threshold frequencies are not necessarily perceiving them very accurately anyway. Who can claim that their brains can truly pick out the odd awkward sample out of 44,100 samples within one second? Especially with the only awkward ones occurring at frequencies above 10,000 Hz, with very low odds of occurring, even towards the high threshold frequencies.

If you've got a shitty recording on a CD, it's not because of the digital sampling process.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:16 am 

So, what's the best sounding Zappa recording people have heard? And what's the best non-Zappa? I have the Yes remaster of Fragile and that sucker sounds great.

Post subject: re: 33 rpm zappa
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:24 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
So, what's the best sounding Zappa recording people have heard? And what's the best non-Zappa? I have the Yes remaster of Fragile and that sucker sounds great.

joe's g acts 2 & 3, best sounding to my ears, you can pick out every instrument and all the vocals, the sparingly used reverb is awesome; mine is a canadian pressing

non-zappa; most of the cti jazz albums were crystal clear & incredibly clean sounding; joe farrell's moon germs, benson's beyond the blue horizon, ron carter's all blues, wes montgomery etc.