Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 46  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3146
Location: Chicago, IL
Disco Boy wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Meanwhile I'm hanging with great friends and loving life. :mrgreen:


But you're still FAILING... :P


Yeah, because I totally judge my quality of life by your meter. :roll:
And I have failed many times in life, that's how you can measure true success. I embrace failure just as much as success. I'm'a go back to hanging with great friends and loving life now - cheers! :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new spin: The Ghost of a Saber-Tooth Tiger (Sean Lennon's new act)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4676
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
To fail at something you have to attempt to do it first. I don't even know what it is he thinks you're attempting and neither does he, either. I think he's just using you as somebody else to insult.
To all those who say ignore Disco Boy, I take the opposite view. Make him put you on ignore, a feat I actually achieved. In the end he'll have nobody left to insult. It also has the added bonus that I can quote him and he can't reply. It was hard work to get him that far, tho'. :wink:

What then is the difference between ZPZ and Zappa (and the MOI)? If you want my 50 cents the latter evolved and improvised from one night to the next. The former by "diligent" definition are there to preserve the music in aspic. Nothing wrong with that, but I know what I prefer.

_________________
Well, he posts his posts most every day
But Chalk Full O' Nuthin'
Is what he's got to say


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:53 am
Posts: 2182
Location: Hamilton, NJ
ditto caputh

_________________
If we're dumb . . .
Then God is dumb . . .
(An' maybe even a little bit ugly on the side)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3511
good gawd, trendy and disco in the same thread. two peas in a pod. think I'm gonna have to clear out of here. plus that guys huge pic of the gun in face. can't stand to see that one more time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13138
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
...and Trendy thinks I don't know how to push his buttons! Mwahahaha!
Did anyone bother reading his follow up essay on the righteousness of being a true DZpZ fan, such as him?

I didn't.

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3146
Location: Chicago, IL
Caputh wrote:
To fail at something you have to attempt to do it first. I don't even know what it is he thinks you're attempting and neither does he, either. I think he's just using you as somebody else to insult.
To all those who say ignore Disco Boy, I take the opposite view. Make him put you on ignore, a feat I actually achieved. In the end he'll have nobody left to insult. It also has the added bonus that I can quote him and he can't reply. It was hard work to get him that far, tho'. :wink:

What then is the difference between ZPZ and Zappa (and the MOI)? If you want my 50 cents the latter evolved and improvised from one night to the next. The former by "diligent" definition are there to preserve the music in aspic. Nothing wrong with that, but I know what I prefer.



Thanks Caputh - believe me, I certainly didn't stew. :mrgreen:
I've noticed a stark difference between ZPZ and Zappa (and the MOI) - one (not saying which) contained Frank Zappa while the other did not. It's a little difficult to catch at times, but if you look for it - you'll see.... :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new spin: The Ghost of a Saber-Tooth Tiger (Sean Lennon's new act)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 18678
Location: Somewhere in time
Well on topic Mrs.Plook bought me tickets for ZPZ opening night in LA at the Roxy... :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:51 pm
Posts: 2339
Location: Europe
Trendmonger wrote:
Here is a transcript of some of George Duke's commentary.
" I was totally blown away by what that band did. Tottaly blown away by Dweezil, who has become an incredible guitarist now. I mean the first time I heard him play, I thought he was OK.Techincally he was OK, he played all..., but he's turned... he's turned that around, he's another level of guitarist now. Because they played the music incredibly well. Better Than I Think We Played It!" - George Duke

Did it for a micro second occur to you that George is being friendly and polite?

_________________
"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself" - FZ
http://www.myspace.com/kirnehness


Last edited by HJ on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13138
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Plook wrote:
Well on topic Mrs.Plook bought me tickets for ZPZ opening night in LA at the Roxy... :D

Nice. 8) She's going too? :? That would be really cool. :D

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3146
Location: Chicago, IL
HJ wrote:
Did it for a micro second occur to you that George is being friendly and polite?


He's not allowed to have an opinion - just blindly follow the gospel. :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new spin: The Ghost of a Saber-Tooth Tiger (Sean Lennon's new act)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3496
Location: Vancouver, BC
DC Boogie wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
History shows that disco boy puts lots of energy in gathering facts.

Thanks.

But I still think you're nuts. Sorry...

It Takes One To Know One.


Weak. Just weak.

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Meanwhile I'm hanging with great friends and loving life. :mrgreen:


But you're still FAILING... :P


Yeah, because I totally judge my quality of life by your meter. :roll:
And I have failed many times in life, that's how you can measure true success. I embrace failure just as much as success. I'm'a go back to hanging with great friends and loving life now - cheers! :mrgreen:


So you admit you've FAILED?!

Gotcha! :P

brainpang wrote:
good gawd, trendy and disco in the same thread. two peas in a pod. think I'm gonna have to clear out of here. plus that guys huge pic of the gun in face. can't stand to see that one more time.


Image

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:29 am
Posts: 5039
HJ wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
Here is a transcript of some of George Duke's commentary.
" I was totally blown away by what that band did. Tottaly blown away by Dweezil, who has become an incredible guitarist now. I mean the first time I heard him play, I thought he was OK.Techincally he was OK, he played all..., but he's turned... he's turned that around, he's another level of guitarist now. Because they played the music incredibly well. Better Than I Think We Played It!" - George Duke

Did it for a micro second occur to you that George is being friendly and polite?


I had the chance to discuss Zappa Plays Zappa with George Duke. I get the impression he is being totally honest.

_________________
Trendmonger's Moment Of Clarity

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 2930
Location: Between the Badges
You are bad at getting impressions.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3511
poor db is lookin' mighty silly. give it a rest, little lady. best to save face.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:29 am
Posts: 5039
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
You are bad at getting impressions.

HJ wrote:

Did it for a micro second occur to you that George is being friendly and polite?



With Zappa Plays Zappa some fans just don't get it. It's hard for them to comprehend that a modern ensemble performs any given portion of the composers work at a higher ambient domain than the composers bands. Folks have argued with me over this issue for a long time. That's OK, George got it! I certainly had enough conversation with George Duke to understand that Honesty, Fairness and Integrity is the fabric he wove into his statement.

From my conversations with George Duke, I knew well that he spoke the truth. This was his truth, his belief. This was so much a part of who he was. This does not mean that fans need to agree with George, but I 100% believe he meant it the exact way he said it.There was no overt need for George to articulate his commentary "Because they played the music incredibly well. Better Than I Think We Played It!" George could just as easily have stated that Dweezil has improved as a guitarist since his early education and performance of the heydays of the 80s metal genre......that ZPZ play the music well, very well, that he had a great time but his words are his words and I have absolutely no doubt that he meant it with Honesty, Fairness and Integrity. This was from the bottom of his heart.

This comment is part of a memorial, and to question it in the manner some are is extremely disrespectful to his life. If folks do not want to share the same opinion as George that's fine, that is a part of life but there is no need to downplay his commentary for anything than exactly what it is. For the folks that are a downtrodden mechanism of what George stated is extremely disrespectful.

" I was totally blown away by what that band did. Tottaly blown away by Dweezil, who has become an incredible guitarist now. I mean the first time I heard him play, I thought he was OK.Techincally he was OK, he played all..., but he's turned... he's turned that around, he's another level of guitarist now. Because they played the music incredibly well. Better Than I Think We Played It!" - George Duke

_________________
Trendmonger's Moment Of Clarity

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3511
this zpz/duke comment thing has gotta be the dumbest argument ever.
it's a 40 year spread. a lot has changed in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 2930
Location: Between the Badges
Gary -
George was a wonderfully friendly person who wanted to make sure that he, DZ and the gang continued to get blowjobs from you in the future. Congratulations, you have suckceeded.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4676
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Disco Boy wrote:
So you admit you've FAILED?!

Gotcha! :P

brainpang wrote:
good gawd, trendy and disco in the same thread. two peas in a pod. think I'm gonna have to clear out of here. plus that guys huge pic of the gun in face. can't stand to see that one more time.


Image


Oh God; the man (?) who posts inventive and intelligent appraisals such as:

Disco Boy wrote:
Shitheads like YOU are the problem,
Disco Boy wrote:
just maybe you'll finally get something right one of these days...
Disco Boy wrote:
I'll discuss whatever the FUCK I want to, asshole
Disco Boy wrote:
Your diarrhoea-filled-ultra-moronic nonsense gets old fast. In fact, at this point, I'm positive you wouldn't be able to answer ANY of my questions honestly if your life depended on it, asshole...


...in every second post (and that's just in this thread) is complaining about receiving "ad hominems". I wonder why. Awhh, diddums.



As to the "disrespect" shown to George Duke, some might argue that it was, delicately put, slightly inappropriate to employ the recent "voice from the grave" as an "advertisement" for ZPZ.
I'm sure that wasn't their intention, but, on reflection, it appears to be Trendy's.

_________________
Well, he posts his posts most every day
But Chalk Full O' Nuthin'
Is what he's got to say


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:40 pm
Posts: 3580
Location: Eugene, OR
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Gary -
George was a wonderfully friendly person who wanted to make sure that he, DZ and the gang continued to get blowjobs from you in the future. Congratulations, you have suckceeded.


Gary loves the Dweezil Nozzle.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:07 am
Posts: 1519
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Gary -
George was a wonderfully friendly person who wanted to make sure that he, DZ and the gang continued to get blowjobs from you in the future. Congratulations, you have suckceeded.


Are you sure he has not sucked eggs instead? :mrgreen:

_________________
Lies are like quicksand, soft and comfortable, but they will swallow us. Truth is like bedrock, hard and uncomfortable, but we can always stand on it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 2930
Location: Between the Badges
Wow, I worked on the EP... weird times, weird enough to compare with Trendy! :shock:

Image

During the final mixes, Al wasn't feeling it, so he made a few control room modifications to set the mood. Jourgensen had mic stands all around the room with skulls of various animals perched atop. On the mixing console facing everyone was a super bright performance quality strobe light and it was so loud you wouldn't hear a firecracker go off. They rented a live chicken for a week, for inspiration, and the thing was so freaked by the volume and lighting that it just stood there on the mixing desk screaming and we couldn't hear it make a sound. That image is as vivid in my mind as it was back then.
Then, for the next week it roamed around the studio shitting where it pleased. Yes, Al got away with damn near whatever he wanted.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3146
Location: Chicago, IL
Off-topic but then again, so is the whole fucking thread by this point, right? :mrgreen:
Wow - I never knew that Arkay, we'll have to talk more about that at some point... we're playing at the Urban Pig Roast on Sept. 7th if you can make it out. Buncha bands and I think it's like $5 "suggested donation". No FZ this time but a few special covers in there...

_________________
Current favorite new spin: The Ghost of a Saber-Tooth Tiger (Sean Lennon's new act)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 2930
Location: Between the Badges
Number 7 on Google without even entering the band name... not bad! :)

Image

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 2930
Location: Between the Badges
Hahahahaha, I was just driving and had to pull over.
I was listening to an old radio program entitled BBC 3 Jazz From Hell. George is talking about his days in the 74 band and says "I have never been in a band that tight. I go back and listen to the stuff now, I said, I played that?"

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 18678
Location: Somewhere in time
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:
Well on topic Mrs.Plook bought me tickets for ZPZ opening night in LA at the Roxy... :D

Nice. 8) She's going too? :? That would be really cool. :D



No the Daughter Plook the Elder and her husband are going to fight it out for the other ticket... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 46  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group