Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 46  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3273
Location: Chicago, IL
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Hahahahaha, I was just driving and had to pull over.
I was listening to an old radio program entitled BBC 3 Jazz From Hell. George is talking about his days in the 74 band and says "I have never been in a band that tight. I go back and listen to the stuff now, I said, I played that?"


Nice! Clearly he changed his mind after hearing ZPZ and retracted this statement. His attorneys had the paperwork passed around the steno-pool. :wink:

Frank, George, Tom, Napi, Ruth, Chester, Ralph, Jeff, etc. You can't beat shit like that. There's nothing higher than infinity. :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2344
edited by DM's lawyer due to potential trademark infringement


Last edited by downer mydnyte on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3607
Location: Vancouver, BC
brainpang wrote:
poor db is lookin' mighty silly. give it a rest, little lady. best to save face.


Ad hominems are a way of life for you, aren't they? Try backing your shit up next time, genius. :roll:

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:51 pm
Posts: 2346
Location: Europe
Trendmonger wrote:
HJ wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
Here is a transcript of some of George Duke's commentary.
" I was totally blown away by what that band did. Tottaly blown away by Dweezil, who has become an incredible guitarist now. I mean the first time I heard him play, I thought he was OK.Techincally he was OK, he played all..., but he's turned... he's turned that around, he's another level of guitarist now. Because they played the music incredibly well. Better Than I Think We Played It!" - George Duke

Did it for a micro second occur to you that George is being friendly and polite?


I had the chance to discuss Zappa Plays Zappa with George Duke. I get the impression he is being totally honest.


Ok, fair enough.

By the way, and I say this with absolutely no sarcasm, this has to be the most concise post I have ever read by you.

_________________
"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself" - FZ
http://www.myspace.com/kirnehness


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:51 pm
Posts: 2346
Location: Europe
Disco Boy wrote:
brainpang wrote:
poor db is lookin' mighty silly. give it a rest, little lady. best to save face.


Ad hominems are a way of life for you, aren't they? Try backing your shit up next time, genius. :roll:


A completely general question: Why is in on internet fora that throwing the "Ad hominem" card is considered some sort of a victory? How can one not be personal in heated and free debating (including mentioning the "opponenets'" way of arguing etc.)? I have always found it a very weak card, and one thrown by people who cannot take the heat (and usually very "ad hominem" themselves).

Remember: General question.

_________________
"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself" - FZ
http://www.myspace.com/kirnehness


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3566
I'm simply puzzled what db thinks his point IS?
We all know he thinks it is incredibly urgent and of massive importance.
It seems to be: "Admit I am right, my arguments are rock solid, you are a fool."
Lordy only knows what his problem is. He won't say.
over n' out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15000
So, do the people that bought a license get the product before it's available to the general public? And how many do they get? I'd look on the website but when you click The License it says it's down for maintenance. I really hope to find someone who bought a license and purchase it from them.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3566
calvin2hikers wrote:
So, do the people that bought a license get the product before it's available to the general public? And how many do they get? I'd look on the website but when you click The License it says it's down for maintenance. I really hope to find someone who bought a license and purchase it from them.


if they slap a va-va-voom bikini clad girl on it like one of them budget merengue compilations I will buy two.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4870
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
brainpang wrote:
I'm simply puzzled what db thinks his point IS?
We all know he thinks it is incredibly urgent and of massive importance.
It seems to be: "Admit I am right, my arguments are rock solid, you are a fool."
Lordy only knows what his problem is. He won't say.
over n' out.


I think you've nailed it - I would only add that his problem appears to be rooted in the idea that there is only one answer to any given question. For simple questions this is adequate. With complex questions, where more than one alternative is possible, it appears to induce rage that either the interlocutor has failed to understand the answer or that he is deliberately trying to undermine DB's ego.

The consequence of this is a stock response e.g. "One more time for the world!", "Compelling evidence", "Ad hominem", endlessly repeated images ("retarded" people, the grasping at straws picture), the dictionary definitions that only prove that a word has many meanings, etc, etc.

The basic idea appears to be: if you repeat something often enough, somebody will believe it.

I still find him amusing, tho'.

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
It's a big balls contest. DB simply has to have bigger balls. Is that deep or meaningful or tit for tat name calling...ah, who gives a fuck anyway. :|

Maybe he wants his own "The Legend That Is Disco Boy" thread? :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3566
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
It's a big balls contest. DB simply has to have bigger balls. Is that deep or meaningful or tit for tat name calling...ah, who gives a fuck anyway. :|

Maybe he wants his own "The Legend That Is Disco Boy" thread? :mrgreen:


Another forumer who just doesn't get it. :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
brainpang wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
It's a big balls contest. DB simply has to have bigger balls. Is that deep or meaningful or tit for tat name calling...ah, who gives a fuck anyway. :|

Maybe he wants his own "The Legend That Is Disco Boy" thread? :mrgreen:


Another forumer who just doesn't get it. :cry:

Just tryin' to make light of it all. DB and me have a running joke about Big Balls. That's all there is to that. Why do we always have to "get" it anyways? Maybe I don't want to get it. You want it, you get it. If I have to get it, can I buy a vowel first?

On Topic: Unless you mean "getting" Roxy of course.

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5773
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
db lost his balls when he decided to put Caputh and on his ignore list. He couldn't take facing the fact that he was the one wrong all along. Now he's just lashing out at everybody else.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3566
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
brainpang wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
It's a big balls contest. DB simply has to have bigger balls. Is that deep or meaningful or tit for tat name calling...ah, who gives a fuck anyway. :|

Maybe he wants his own "The Legend That Is Disco Boy" thread? :mrgreen:


Another forumer who just doesn't get it. :cry:

Just tryin' to make light of it all. DB and me have a running joke about Big Balls. That's all there is to that. Why do we always have to "get" it anyways? Maybe I don't want to get it. You want it, you get it. If I have to get it, can I buy a vowel first?

On Topic: Unless you mean "getting" Roxy of course.


Oh, I was just using the db line but I obviously FAILED. Was WRONG. LEARNED my LESSON.
Sorry!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
brainpang wrote:
Oh, I was just using the db line but I obviously FAILED. Was WRONG. LEARNED my LESSON.
Sorry!


Well crap brain, when you hold it that close to us older folks we need glasses to get it. Now I get it. :oops: Yes I'm embarrassed I didn't recognize it straightaway! We both learned a lesson I think. It's all good. :wink:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9595
son of owned some more wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
I'm confused by your new signature...
hj wrote:
Location: Vancouver, BC
I am confused. Did the US take over Canada?
...
spacebrother wrote:
For managing to singlehandedly turn the Roxy thread into yet another...
caputh wrote:
I wouldn't consider it beyond the realms of possibility that DB takes "advice" from Isaac ...
brainpang wrote:
That's 3 against 1, you lose...
lumpy gravy wrote:
it's 'right on cue', knucklehead.
dc boogie wrote:
From the Oxford English Dictionary, considering Disko Boy's love of lexical definitions ...

you guys have been shakin it more 'n 3 times for the last 10 pages of this thread ... give up, you'll never win

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2344
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
you guys have been shakin it more 'n 3 times for the last 10 pages of this thread ... give up, you'll never win

Win what?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3607
Location: Vancouver, BC
HJ wrote:
A completely general question: Why is in on internet fora that throwing the "Ad hominem" card is considered some sort of a victory? How can one not be personal in heated and free debating (including mentioning the "opponenets'" way of arguing etc.)? I have always found it a very weak card, and one thrown by people who cannot take the heat (and usually very "ad hominem" themselves).

Remember: General question.


It's not necessarily a victory per se. But in most cases I find it to be because it almost always indicates that the poster who throws them can't convincingly back up their own claims - which happens on this forum ALL the time. And when it happens, it tells me all I need to know about that poster's debating skills...

brainpang wrote:
I'm simply puzzled what db thinks his point IS?
We all know he thinks it is incredibly urgent and of massive importance.
It seems to be: "Admit I am right, my arguments are rock solid, you are a fool."
Lordy only knows what his problem is. He won't say.
over n' out.


My point is that most of the time, NO ONE here can come up with a convincing argument as to why what I'm stating is incorrect, so they throw ad hominems at me instead. And you almost exclusively do this when responding to my posts. So this indicates to me that you know I'm correct but can't admit it for whatever reason.

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
son of owned some more wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
I'm confused by your new signature...
hj wrote:
Location: Vancouver, BC
I am confused. Did the US take over Canada?
...
spacebrother wrote:
For managing to singlehandedly turn the Roxy thread into yet another...
caputh wrote:
I wouldn't consider it beyond the realms of possibility that DB takes "advice" from Isaac ...
brainpang wrote:
That's 3 against 1, you lose...
lumpy gravy wrote:
it's 'right on cue', knucklehead.
dc boogie wrote:
From the Oxford English Dictionary, considering Disko Boy's love of lexical definitions ...

you guys have been shakin it more 'n 3 times for the last 10 pages of this thread ... give up, you'll never win


BINGO!

slime gets it!

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2344
Congrats to Slime. The Disco Boy seal of approval! Impressive. And it's nice of him to stand up for the weak. Hell, he even quoted me out of context and still managed to receive the DB seal of approval. Righteous.

Note to Slime: Pay close attention to those who base their projections on statistics. Those who argue from the numbers should command the same respect as did Thomas C. Shotwell, Wall Street analyst, who wrote in The World Almanac for 1929: "The market is following natural laws of economics and there is no reason why both prosperity and the market should not continue for years at this high level or even higher".



_________________________
"Debating is for pussies" - George S Patton


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
downer mydnyte wrote:
Congrats to Slime. The Disco Boy seal of approval! Impressive. And it's nice of him to stand up for the weak. Hell, he even quoted me out of context and still managed to receive the DB seal of approval. Righteous.

Note to Slime: Pay close attention to those who base their projections on statistics. Those who argue from the numbers should command the same respect as did Thomas C. Shotwell, Wall Street analyst, who wrote in The World Almanac for 1929: "The market is following natural laws of economics and there is no reason why both prosperity and the market should not continue for years at this high level or even higher".

Please show us where slime.o misquoted you. All I see is you edited your second to last post a bunch a times. Hmmm...wonder why is all. :?

No fight here, just please clarify DM. I really don't want to go back over 1-8 pages, on a thread that's about the Roxy announcements.

Your analog,
slimes digital.
Your both ZappaFreaks,
Splice it together,
Throw it against the wall,
What sticks is communication.
'n that's all it is. (picture an upside down ?)
Or not.

Truth need not rhyme. It's all bovine perspiration anyway. :roll:

Ya, a little heavy , I admit. :oops:

Or not. :twisted:



_________________________
"Debating is for pussies" - George S Patton[/quote]

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5773
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
disco boy wrote:
... I've placed Caputh and SPACEBROTHER on my ignore list...


[color=#000000]that, & the updated signature has reduced the forum hostility factor significantly






Hmmmm... so Disco Douche takes it upon himself to start fights with everybody on the forum, but for some odd reason, slime oh decides to play lapdog and nuzzle his nozzle. That can mean only one thing...



































Slime oh and Dicksore Boy are Isaac!!!!

Image







whew......now that that cat is finally out of the bag, can we talk about the Roxy By Proxy CD instead of that asshole?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4870
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
give up, you'll never win


Absolutely correct. To "win" as you put it, some minimal positive change in DB's behaviour towards other people in this forum would have to be the result.

Despite your merry optimism here...

disco boy wrote:
... I've placed Caputh and SPACEBROTHER on my ignore list...


slime.oofytv.set wrote:
that, & the updated signature has reduced the forum hostility factor significantly


...it's not what most people would conclude after reading the last 10 pages.

But perhaps you could use your influence on his Disconess to ignore more people i.e. 80% of this forum?

I'm sure you could then look forward to a lot of cozy chats together.

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Isn't it up to us to help DB to see the way? Shouldn't we be all for one and one for all or shouldn't we at least try? We're all ZappaFreaks here. It's a condition that effects people differently, like some diseases, that you wouldn't beliezes. Who else has Mud Shark envy but us? Who else wonders what a poodle will do while playing with tweezers and a lighter? Or order a glass of OJ at a Holiday Inn without FZ in mind? Eh? Hmm? Huh? Chicka, chicka, boom, boom... Oh yeahhhhh! I like DB, with a little steerage from us, he'll be a fine orator someday.

Or not. Lets keep an open mind.

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3566
Disco Boy wrote:
BINGO!
slime gets it!


There you go again. Slimes comment could very well mean that you are an insane narcissist who is relentless in his pursuit of nothingness/egotism and will never admit to any shortcomings so we may as well stop beating a dead horse. Of course this would never dawn on you. And THAT is the reason I mock and toy with you.

Here's a simple one that you could address in a last ditch attempt to improve your standing: explain the cue/queue thing. Your FREE dictionary pastings just left things terribly vague and didn't do too much to enforce your boasting of a steel trap mind.

ps REMINDER: I've mentioned several times that I do not know what your views are. They are not important to me. So how I can secretly agree with you is nigh impossible. I know this is tough for you to get your head around. I just don't find you interesting enough to actually read.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2344
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Please show us where slime.o misquoted you. All I see is you edited your second to last post a bunch a times. Hmmm...wonder why is all.

I didn't say he misquoted me I said he quoted me out of context (which he most certainly did). He lumped 6 quotes together under the heading of "Son of owned some more". I don't even care! The only reason I even pointed it out is because Disco Boy often complains about being quoted out of context so it seemed funny.

I'm not a deceptive person. I don't edit posts to try to deceive anyone. My edit didn't affect the posts that followed it. The post I edited had nothing to do with Disco or Slime. It was a trendmonger quote and I used a Taco Bell advertisement to make a point. Subsequently it was brought to my attention that I was beating a dead horse AND infringing on a Taco Bell trademark. haha. First I edited the Taco Bell picture but accidentally edited my text as well. I went back to rewrite the text but could not remember exactly what I had written. At that point I realized I was beating a dead horse (trendy) and so I ended up leaving it blank. Those were my 2 edits. Sheeesh. When are you gonna come to my defense, Kapt? :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 46  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], brunofulax, Exabot [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group