Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:46 am 

pbuzby wrote:
Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
But instead, FZ acquiesced to producing a single LP as a follow up to YAWYI, itself a 2LP set. Perhaps the 2LP format was the most suitable for what FZ wanted to do, but of course he had to concede to the record industry's expectations a bit as well. Which was nigh on unfortunate.

He had two double albums in 1981 neither of which sold very well, so I guess I can't blame CBS for requesting a single album.

Them Or Us has some of FZ's best guitar work from the 80's.

where are you getting this info?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:10 am 

http://www.globalia.net/donlope/fz/misc/Pinske.html

"When we finally got the real Crush All Boxes done, Bennett Glotzer (Frank's manager) said the record company did not want a "double album" and that they only wanted a single album. So we put the final mix tape in the vault and started on the "Drowning Witch" album."

It seems like Pinske is mixing up a few different projects in this section of this interview (or at least using different projects than what the fans use) but it seems he is speaking of Chalk Pie.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:42 am 

Interesting. I'm really surprised that FZ would cave that easily.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:55 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
http://www.globalia.net/donlope/fz/misc/Pinske.html

"When we finally got the real Crush All Boxes done, Bennett Glotzer (Frank's manager) said the record company did not want a "double album" and that they only wanted a single album. So we put the final mix tape in the vault and started on the "Drowning Witch" album."

It seems like Pinske is mixing up a few different projects in this section of this interview (or at least using different projects than what the fans use) but it seems he is speaking of Chalk Pie.

I am half-finished with the Pinske thing, never read it before, very interesting and he explains things clearly and seems to have a detailed memory.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:40 pm 

On this whole topic, I saw the Saturday night show in the Pier '84 run that produced DHBIM. There was a strong synth sound dominating that show, but FZ soloed extensively. I am ambivalent about most of the '80s recorded output, but TOU and most of SATLTSADW really are fantastic. MFU mostly bores me to tears.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:43 am 

That show seems musically a parody of what was big at that point. But I think Zappa enjoyed the cheese. Going back to the show it is better then I originally gave credit.
The shows where Zappa has the mic and only pics up the guitar a few times (1981/1984) bores me to watch. I like watching him play rhythms and leads but it got phased out in the 80's it seems.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:11 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
That show seems musically a parody of what was big at that point. But I think Zappa enjoyed the cheese. Going back to the show it is better then I originally gave credit.
The shows where Zappa has the mic and only pics up the guitar a few times (1981/1984) bores me to watch. I like watching him play rhythms and leads but it got phased out in the 80's it seems.

Yeah it did. FZ apparently hated playing rhythm, but it hardly shows on songs like "The Ocean is the Ultimate Solution". Maybe it was different if FZ had the room to experiment with alternate tunings and modified guitars, such as the Fender 12-string on that track?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:19 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

Yeah it did. FZ apparently hated playing rhythm, but it hardly shows on songs like "The Ocean is the Ultimate Solution". Maybe it was different if FZ had the room to experiment with alternate tunings and modified guitars, such as the Fender 12-string on that track?

FZ had a real workout on rhythm guitar on the 75/76 tour just prior to the Zoot Allures sessions where he recorded "The Ocean..." After that, he began hiring other guitarists for the band and although he still played some rhythm over the next few tours (as the Baby Snakes film shows) it was downhill from there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:34 am 

Maybe he needed all his energy for his solos. I dunno, it's weird seeing him with a guitar all through the 60s/70s and then walking around with just a mic in the 80s.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:42 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
Maybe he needed all his energy for his solos. I dunno, it's weird seeing him with a guitar all through the 60s/70s and then walking around with just a mic in the 80s.

I think the issues were:

1) He couldn't sing and play at the same time.
2) He started doing more vocal arrangements requiring him to harmonize with Ike, Ray, Bobby and company.
3) He started rarely playing guitar when not on tour sometime in the late 70's.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:30 am 

His favorite rhythm and section Arthur Barrow and Vinnie Colaiuta both where still in the band short time before where he started leaving The Solos up too Warren who joined around same time claim's too know all FZ solos inside out.And i cant think of a band making long solo's the shit been rubbed in the ground late 70's early 80's unless then still playing Heavy Metal,
I can only think FZ say how long he practiced guitar that was 1 hour before showtime,funny i read Vai say in a mag that he practiced for like 12 hours a day a i heard him say on you Tube recently interview and 1HOUR that is all he Practices now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:40 pm 

it was closer to 3-years between north american tours, the '84 band showed up in august, played most of yawyi, and for the 1st time for an fzshow, no new material, all the songs were very well-known by then, the concert was excellent; he only played 1 or 2 them or us tracks before he went to europe in '84

did frank play the same blond strat in '84 & '88 ¿ his guitar tones were nastier in '84 than the plucky tone he used a lot in '88

thanks ed organus, for the interesting & informative comments on pg 1 & 2 on the dx7, and also the funkadelic discussion, never made the connection & had to check out some pfunk, dr. funkenstein is a good example

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:45 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
[color=#000000]
did frank play the same blond strat in '84 & '88 ¿ his guitar tones were nastier in '84 than the plucky tone he used a lot in '88
Same Guitar as FZ said that the only thing on his Strat was Fender was the body.It looks like the same guitar in Viva Zappa Book page page 30 with original pick-ups no locking nut,in 1984 got locking nut looks like Dimazio pickups,then in 1988 different Dimazio pick up's or maybe back to seymour duncan he did start using the first multi effect Roland gp-8 that is where his 1988 tone comes from :wink: