Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Make a Jazz Noise Here
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:22 am 

How many like the version of Big Swifty on this album, for me this is a great band and a great instrumental with the exception of the brakes where Frank inserts humor asking for a jazz noise, this takes this song from a everyday listen to a once in a while due to the satire, imho.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:13 am 

I like everything on MAJNH. Even Yuppies and Fire and Chains. The only thing that brings this down very slightly for me is the sound....I don't know how to explain it though. A bit compressed?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:14 am 

Big Swifty, well it does sound like a more overt Vegas lounge kind of a parody rendition, perhaps artistically less accomplished than the "Bitches Brew" esque jamming on the original version, but perhaps with added entertainment value?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:45 am 

Yea i agree, but do you prefer it over a non vocal version, I guess it pisses me off in that the band playing it the 88 band i think, did such a great job imo, I would rather just hear the musicians play, and that in it's self is what the spot is all about, i think? Kind of goofing on some snob type jazz musicians.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:30 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
I would rather just hear the musicians play

I've made a shortened version of this album and this very song, I think I've shortened King Kong as well. My favorite is the december '73 (Roxy) version, YCDTOSA vol. 1. Beats everything.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:36 am 

balint wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

I've made a shortened version of this album and this very song, I think I've shortened King Kong as well. My favorite is the december '73 (Roxy) version, YCDTOSA vol. 1. Beats everything.

If you like that version, then also check out this recording from the Australian tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEZ6NyOndvo

More or less the beginnings of how this song would be essentially played during the Roxy period post-JLP, but with the added bonus of a spacey clarinet solo from Underwood, where a Duke keyboard solo would later feature.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:41 am 

balint wrote:
My favorite is the december '73 (Roxy) version, YCDTOSA vol. 1.

When I saw Mike Keneally's band in 1998 they played "Inca Roads" and Marc Ziegenhagen did a keyboard solo over the vamp George Duke soloed on in this song, rather than the usual fast 7/8 Ab-G "Inca Roads" keyboard solo vamp. An interesting inside reference for Zappaphiles.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:18 am 

I quite enjoy the original, on Waka JaWaka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:52 am 

balint wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

One of my favourites too!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:00 pm 

As for the MAJNH track, I like it, but I find Yuppies/Fire and King Kong/Star Wars more impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:46 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
As for the MAJNH track, I like it, but I find Yuppies/Fire and King Kong/Star Wars more impressive.

it's a swanky loungey yo cats version - where's thana harris - the band plays so loose one minute & super-tight the next, almost a different tune than the original ... the bionic insertionism is pure zappa, and the band really rocks the opening/closing theme; thunes stands out, amazing performance

the reggae'd king kong never worked for me, sounds dumbed down ... this album's kk version deviates in so many directions for most of the track, it's gotta be my least fav of all kk's

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:37 am 

balint wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
.... My favorite is the december '73 (Roxy) version, YCDTOSA vol. 1. Beats everything.

That was the first version i ever heard of this song. I fell in love immediatley and it is still my favourite version. IMHO it matches best of all the YCDTOSA condition, as FZ wrote in the booklets: Is this the best recorded version of this song?
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
I quite enjoy the original, on Waka JaWaka

After i learned to know the roxy version of this song, i desparetely wanted to know the original version from waka jawaka. When i finally bought this album, i was pretty disappointed about this song. It really starts off very spectacular but then becomes more and more boring. The Sal Marques solo is still so la la, but after that it is only wall paper music for me (the only exception is the part near the end that also appears as end of the Helsinki version). I also had my problems with the jazz noise version in the beginning, but today i love it in its entirety. I like the 88 Barcelona version. The original version still bores me the most parts of it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:08 pm 

I totally disagree, the original version with Dunbars work is brilliant and Duke uses the ring mod with the rhodes is great ,he has a sound similar to Zawinal ,roxy version is good also. i almost forgot you won't find a trumpet player to equal what Sal did, or find fault.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:57 am 

I love the Jazz Noise version! Especially when they break into the 1812 Overture/Carmen section.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:07 pm 

The Waka/Jawaka Big Swifty is sublime. The only reason I don't listen to it much any more is because I've listened to it far too many times. It has been absorbed into my being. I can hear it playing away in my head any time I want - even when I don't want it, there it is. I enjoy playing the multi-thematic opening riff on my guitar, although I haven't perfected the penultimate theme, that little off tonality bit just before the brass takes you into the start of the "free form" section.

This has some of my favourite FZ guitar playing on it. I like his bluesier polytonic and modal guitar type solos, but this stuff has something extra in it. And, of course, I like just as much what the rest of the band is doing. This probably makes me some kind of heretic, but Miles Davis is just boring after this. I'm not saying the guy hasn't got chops but there is just something missing for me that can only be found in albums like Waka/Jawaka and it's not just about FZ and his guitar playing - it's his whole compositional philosophy in pieces like this and what he brought out in his players that I just haven't found anywhere else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:08 pm 

polydigm wrote:
his whole compositional philosophy in pieces like this and what he brought out in his players...I just haven't found anywhere else.

And, of course, you wont. His imagination is so unique. We're all better off because he chose to be himself.

polydigm wrote:
This probably makes me some kind of heretic, but Miles Davis is just boring after this.

I think the Agartha/Pangaea era with guitarist Pete Cosey holds up from the electric era. I've always thought Bitches Brew was boring. I love some of those musicians but that shit is meandering.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:43 pm 

Big Swifty on Waka/Jawaka is special - you don't often hear Zappa dipping into the pool of collective improvisation like that. His attitude is genuinely jazzy in its openness to the other players. And still he has that edgy sense of purpose, which sets him apart from most jazz players. Sublime, indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:48 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
polydigm wrote:
This probably makes me some kind of heretic, but Miles Davis is just boring after this.

I think the Agartha/Pangaea era with guitarist Pete Cosey holds up from the electric era. I've always thought Bitches Brew was boring. I love some of those musicians but that shit is meandering.

I'm quite partial to In a Silent Way myself. At least that one is arguably one of the first ambient-jazz albums. Perhaps not as big of a revolution as Bitches, but no less inventive and still holds up after four (and a half, my god time flies so quick!) decades. It's not often that you get to hear Tony Williams and John McLaughlin play so...understated!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:26 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
I'm quite partial to In a Silent Way myself.

I love In A Silent Way. It stands to reason that I'd like Bitches Brew as well (pretty much the same line up) but it seems a lot less inspired. I couldn't say why.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:31 am 

I agree... makes me wanna go listen to BB and find out why. I haven't heard BB in at least a decade for just that kinda reaction I've had since my first listen in the 80s.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:41 pm 

I raise my hand as yet another ambivalent BB listener.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:04 pm 

BB is far more enjoyable than ISW to me. /shrug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:20 am 

I like both, but On The Corner is my favorite Miles 'fusion' album.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:08 pm 

DC Boogie wrote:
Big Swifty on Waka/Jawaka...
...collective improvisation...

???

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:16 pm 

Well, yes, FZ, Sal Marquez, George Duke and (later on) Tony Duran are improvising at once for most of the middle of the piece. There may be overdubbing involved, but it doesn't sound like it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next