Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 417 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:53 am
Posts: 2133
Location: Hamilton, NJ
This just popped up, a 1973 show? A JLP show :shock: :D

Just up on the main page

_________________
If we're dumb . . .
Then God is dumb . . .
(An' maybe even a little bit ugly on the side)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14650
Yep, seems like it, Helsinki....

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9513
excellent choice, can't wait



a review of the show
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . bändi halusi jammata
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3309
Location: Vancouver, BC
You mean we're FINALLY getting an official '73 band show release?! :shock:

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:07 am
Posts: 1469
Ah, I was wondering if the first Helsinki appearance (13 months before the one immortalised on YCDTOSA2) was recorded at all. But it was apparently! If that is absolutely the gig that's going to be released, that's great news!

_________________
Lies are like quicksand, soft and comfortable, but they will swallow us. Truth is like bedrock, hard and uncomfortable, but we can always stand on it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5435
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
tweezers wrote:
This just popped up, a 1973 show? A JLP show :shock: :D

Just up on the main page
calvin2hikers wrote:
Yep, seems like it, Helsinki....
Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Ah, I was wondering if the first Helsinki appearance (13 months before the one immortalised on YCDTOSA2) was recorded at all. But it was apparently! If that is absolutely the gig that's going to be released, that's great news!
This lists 8/23/73 Helsinki as a confirmed date where they performed two shows. - http://members.shaw.ca/fz-pomd/giglist/1973.html

Doesn't appear to circulate in trading circles - http://www.zappateers.com/fzshows/73.html

I'm looking forward to this more than Roxy By Proxy, though that will be cool too. If the Mofo of Uncle Meat comes out this year as well, all the better. Bring it on!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 246
Location: Washington DC
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
excellent choice, can't wait



a review of the show
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . bändi halusi jammata
Image


Is there an English translation of this out there??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:29 am
Posts: 5038
Right on cue! A show from this tour had always seemed like the perfect pre-cursor to the Roxy projects. I can remember a few years back when I thought a show from this tour would be released near whatever time-frame the ZFT had planned for the Roxy projects. Some folks thought I was a little left of center thinking this was the perfect timing for long awaited material from this tour . Not to downplay fanatical want of vault items from the moon orbits of long ago, surely the wait is well worth it, but releasing this Road Tapes at this time! This is exactly the kind of release that I thought would come before the Roxy projects. Gail knows how to schedule things. Now is the time!!!

_________________
Trendmonger's Moment Of Clarity

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:51 pm
Posts: 354
Hopefully a great release, knowing the Sandvika and Stockholm shows one might expect a pretty good concert with fine solos.

Although - as always - I just cannot understand the withdrawal of the information: why cannot we know WHY this was chosen to be released, what will the setlist be, what other shows were considered? Would be good to know: some information.

(and of course: no release date at all.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:01 am
Posts: 9
Location: Kapakka in the Kaupunki
This is really great news!

I don't feel like translating the whole article (there may be a translation already floating around somewhere), but I'll pick a couple of interesting things. The concerts were held at Finlandia Hall on two consecutive dates and there was an afterparty jam without Frank at N-Klubi. The article is from a magazine called Intro.

"A future release called Live In Finlandia by The Mothers Of Invention wouldn't be a surprise because Frank recorded all of his performances and was quite pleased with them."

Ian Underwood had caught a cold in Sweden and didn't attend the N-Klubi jam, but I take it he played at the actual concerts. The article also mentions a 3-hour soundcheck on first day and a rehearsal on second. Also in the end there's a mention of the Mothers' 10-year anniversary and plans for a "several-LP box" for the occasion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14650
I would guess some combination of the following:

1973 08 18 - KB Hallen, København, Denmark
125 min, Aud, B+/B
soundcheck intro, improvisations, Dupree's Paradise, Cosmik Debris, Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue, Kung Fu, Penguin In Bondage, Dog Meat, RDNZL, Brown Shoes Don't Make It, Village Of The Sun, Echidna's Arf, Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?, Montana, Farther Oblivion, Mr Green Genes, King Kong, Chunga's Revenge, Mr Green Genes

1973 08 21 - Solliden, Skansen, Stockholm, Sweden
75 min, FM, A
Broadcast on radio and TV at various times. Video exists.
Parts of this recording are available on Piquantique - BTB.
Cosmik Debris, Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue, Kung Fu, Penguin In Bondage, RDNZL, Montana, improvisations, Dupree's Paradise (q: Satin Doll), Join The March And Eat My Starch, Farther Oblivion (with last section of Cucamonga played twice)

1973 08 26 - Kalvoya Festivalen, Sandvika, Norway
Soundcheck
5 min, Aud, B-
Dog Breath, Penguin In Bondage
Show
80 min, Aud, A-
10 min of Dupree's Paradise is from a different, B- source.
Village Of The Sun, Echidna's Arf, Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?, Cosmik Debris, Montana, Dupree's Paradise, Brown Shoes Don't Make It, Mr Green Genes, King Kong, Chunga's Revenge, Mr Green Genes, Be-Bop Tango excerpt

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:17 am
Posts: 333
Location: England
balint wrote:
no release date at all.


Well, if it really is the next release, we know it will be before 20 September 2013.

_________________
What Rip Rense said about Zappa The Hard Way (available in paperback and on Kindle):

"Remarkable in detail and interview, an unexpected and invaluable look at a such an important and ill-fated moment in Frank's career."

www.idiotbastard.com


Last edited by The Idiot Bastard on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:51 pm
Posts: 354
The Idiot Bastard wrote:
before 20 September 2013.

Oh, thanks - was it announced somewhere?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:40 pm
Posts: 3580
Location: Eugene, OR
Trendmonger wrote:
Right on cue! A show from this tour had always seemed like the perfect pre-cursor to the Roxy projects. I can remember a few years back when I thought a show from this tour would be released near whatever time-frame the ZFT had planned for the Roxy projects. Some folks thought I was a little left of center thinking this was the perfect timing for long awaited material from this tour . Not to downplay fanatical want of vault items from the moon orbits of long ago, surely the wait is well worth it, but releasing this Road Tapes at this time! This is exactly the kind of release that I thought would come before the Roxy projects. Gail knows how to schedule things. Now is the time!!!


You are so full of shit. Hey! Is that a new shade of brown on your lips? Ooooo, pretty.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:51 pm
Posts: 241
Location: Austin, TX (wherever I am)
calvin2hikers wrote:
I would guess some combination of the following:

1973 08 18 - KB Hallen, København, Denmark
125 min, Aud, B+/B
soundcheck intro, improvisations, Dupree's Paradise, Cosmik Debris, Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue, Kung Fu, Penguin In Bondage, Dog Meat, RDNZL, Brown Shoes Don't Make It, Village Of The Sun, Echidna's Arf, Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?, Montana, Farther Oblivion, Mr Green Genes, King Kong, Chunga's Revenge, Mr Green Genes

1973 08 21 - Solliden, Skansen, Stockholm, Sweden
75 min, FM, A
Broadcast on radio and TV at various times. Video exists.
Parts of this recording are available on Piquantique - BTB.
Cosmik Debris, Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue, Kung Fu, Penguin In Bondage, RDNZL, Montana, improvisations, Dupree's Paradise (q: Satin Doll), Join The March And Eat My Starch, Farther Oblivion (with last section of Cucamonga played twice)

1973 08 26 - Kalvoya Festivalen, Sandvika, Norway
Soundcheck
5 min, Aud, B-
Dog Breath, Penguin In Bondage
Show
80 min, Aud, A-
10 min of Dupree's Paradise is from a different, B- source.
Village Of The Sun, Echidna's Arf, Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?, Cosmik Debris, Montana, Dupree's Paradise, Brown Shoes Don't Make It, Mr Green Genes, King Kong, Chunga's Revenge, Mr Green Genes, Be-Bop Tango excerpt


I definitely want "Dupree's Paradise" and "RDNZL".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:53 am
Posts: 2133
Location: Hamilton, NJ
The value of these 1973 shows is their improvs and the introduction of the eventual R&E/OS/Apostrophe material as it evolved. IBS is correct, if they follow their own directives, prior to 9/20/13

_________________
If we're dumb . . .
Then God is dumb . . .
(An' maybe even a little bit ugly on the side)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:55 am
Posts: 1159
tweezers wrote:
The value of these 1973 shows is their improvs and the introduction of the eventual R&E/OS/Apostrophe material as it evolved. IBS is correct, if they follow their own directives, prior to 9/20/13


The R&E material has a different feel, more classical and less funky than the fall band with Napoleon and Chester.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13497
Location: Schools that do not teach
Pope Jim wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
Right on cue! A show from this tour had always seemed like the perfect pre-cursor to the Roxy projects. I can remember a few years back when I thought a show from this tour would be released near whatever time-frame the ZFT had planned for the Roxy projects. Some folks thought I was a little left of center thinking this was the perfect timing for long awaited material from this tour . Not to downplay fanatical want of vault items from the moon orbits of long ago, surely the wait is well worth it, but releasing this Road Tapes at this time! This is exactly the kind of release that I thought would come before the Roxy projects. Gail knows how to schedule things. Now is the time!!!


You are so full of shit. Hey! Is that a new shade of brown on your lips? Ooooo, pretty.

Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends?

Image

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:51 pm
Posts: 2322
Location: Europe
Great news!!!

_________________
"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself" - FZ
http://www.myspace.com/kirnehness


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:51 pm
Posts: 354
sorry for repeating myself: is it really known that it will be released before the 20th of september?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9513
balint wrote:
sorry for repeating myself: is it really known that it will be released before the 20th of september?
according to snowden, this release date will be either 18th or 20th; he's still trying to sniff out track list

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13497
Location: Schools that do not teach
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
balint wrote:
sorry for repeating myself: is it really known that it will be released before the 20th of september?
according to snowden, this release date will be either 18th or 20th; he's still trying to sniff out track list


:mrgreen:

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 10:33 pm
Posts: 58
Excellent news. So wait, this is coming out the same week as Roxy By Proxy??

_________________
Gail Zappa, zappa.com, December 2, 2010
Dance Me This?—2011

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, November 2010
Dance Me This and The Rage And The Fury should be out by 2012.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, March 28, 2012
Within the year from now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:07 am
Posts: 1469
If it comes out, it would be interesting to compare the Helsinki '73 with Helsinki '74. The '74 band certainly had more entertainment value, pure funk groove and also a fair bit of FZ' guitar power, he really played a lot more rhythm and riffs, perhaps in order to compensate for the lack of brass? But the '73 band had a more diverse range of textures, more great soloists ('74 only had two excellent improvisers: FZ and Duke, '73 band also adds Ian, Bruce and JLP) and more instrumental music, and as P.Buzby referred, a bit more of a classical feel to it.

Plus, if it does have Dupree's on it, I reckon it will be better than the one released on Helsinki '74 album. Gad, that one was a bit disappointing: great stage banter (incl. spot on synth parody of Ian's bass clarinet playing), but then listless jazz-fusion soloing and an ill-advised experiment of mixing jazz-rock drum soloing with Varese style percussion. I hope the '73 Dupree's on the upcoming one would also contain an Underwood flute solo. Or lacking that, an Underwood flute solo anywhere on the album! But even lacking that, I trust it will still be a real treat for hearing his bass clarinet playing.

_________________
Lies are like quicksand, soft and comfortable, but they will swallow us. Truth is like bedrock, hard and uncomfortable, but we can always stand on it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:53 am
Posts: 2133
Location: Hamilton, NJ
I saw 73 band April in Princeton, a true highlight. Like Ed, I was a little down on Duprees from YCDTOSA 2, but I have been waiting for JLP since that show - Piquantique was just so hopelessly bad sounding.

_________________
If we're dumb . . .
Then God is dumb . . .
(An' maybe even a little bit ugly on the side)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 417 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group