Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 417 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:49 pm 

This just popped up, a 1973 show? A JLP show :shock: :D

Just up on the main page

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:48 pm 

Yep, seems like it, Helsinki....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:13 pm 

excellent choice, can't wait

a review of the show
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . bändi halusi jammata

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:23 pm 

You mean we're FINALLY getting an official '73 band show release?! :shock:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:53 pm 

Ah, I was wondering if the first Helsinki appearance (13 months before the one immortalised on YCDTOSA2) was recorded at all. But it was apparently! If that is absolutely the gig that's going to be released, that's great news!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:06 pm 

tweezers wrote:
This just popped up, a 1973 show? A JLP show :shock: :D

Just up on the main page
calvin2hikers wrote:
Yep, seems like it, Helsinki....
Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Ah, I was wondering if the first Helsinki appearance (13 months before the one immortalised on YCDTOSA2) was recorded at all. But it was apparently! If that is absolutely the gig that's going to be released, that's great news!
This lists 8/23/73 Helsinki as a confirmed date where they performed two shows. - http://members.shaw.ca/fz-pomd/giglist/1973.html

Doesn't appear to circulate in trading circles - http://www.zappateers.com/fzshows/73.html

I'm looking forward to this more than Roxy By Proxy, though that will be cool too. If the Mofo of Uncle Meat comes out this year as well, all the better. Bring it on!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:37 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
excellent choice, can't wait

a review of the show
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . bändi halusi jammata

Is there an English translation of this out there??

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:06 am 

Right on cue! A show from this tour had always seemed like the perfect pre-cursor to the Roxy projects. I can remember a few years back when I thought a show from this tour would be released near whatever time-frame the ZFT had planned for the Roxy projects. Some folks thought I was a little left of center thinking this was the perfect timing for long awaited material from this tour . Not to downplay fanatical want of vault items from the moon orbits of long ago, surely the wait is well worth it, but releasing this Road Tapes at this time! This is exactly the kind of release that I thought would come before the Roxy projects. Gail knows how to schedule things. Now is the time!!!

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:30 am 

Hopefully a great release, knowing the Sandvika and Stockholm shows one might expect a pretty good concert with fine solos.

Although - as always - I just cannot understand the withdrawal of the information: why cannot we know WHY this was chosen to be released, what will the setlist be, what other shows were considered? Would be good to know: some information.

(and of course: no release date at all.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:33 am 

This is really great news!

I don't feel like translating the whole article (there may be a translation already floating around somewhere), but I'll pick a couple of interesting things. The concerts were held at Finlandia Hall on two consecutive dates and there was an afterparty jam without Frank at N-Klubi. The article is from a magazine called Intro.

"A future release called Live In Finlandia by The Mothers Of Invention wouldn't be a surprise because Frank recorded all of his performances and was quite pleased with them."

Ian Underwood had caught a cold in Sweden and didn't attend the N-Klubi jam, but I take it he played at the actual concerts. The article also mentions a 3-hour soundcheck on first day and a rehearsal on second. Also in the end there's a mention of the Mothers' 10-year anniversary and plans for a "several-LP box" for the occasion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:42 am 

I would guess some combination of the following:

1973 08 18 - KB Hallen, København, Denmark
125 min, Aud, B+/B
soundcheck intro, improvisations, Dupree's Paradise, Cosmik Debris, Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue, Kung Fu, Penguin In Bondage, Dog Meat, RDNZL, Brown Shoes Don't Make It, Village Of The Sun, Echidna's Arf, Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?, Montana, Farther Oblivion, Mr Green Genes, King Kong, Chunga's Revenge, Mr Green Genes

1973 08 21 - Solliden, Skansen, Stockholm, Sweden
75 min, FM, A
Broadcast on radio and TV at various times. Video exists.
Parts of this recording are available on Piquantique - BTB.
Cosmik Debris, Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue, Kung Fu, Penguin In Bondage, RDNZL, Montana, improvisations, Dupree's Paradise (q: Satin Doll), Join The March And Eat My Starch, Farther Oblivion (with last section of Cucamonga played twice)

1973 08 26 - Kalvoya Festivalen, Sandvika, Norway
Soundcheck
5 min, Aud, B-
Dog Breath, Penguin In Bondage
Show
80 min, Aud, A-
10 min of Dupree's Paradise is from a different, B- source.
Village Of The Sun, Echidna's Arf, Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?, Cosmik Debris, Montana, Dupree's Paradise, Brown Shoes Don't Make It, Mr Green Genes, King Kong, Chunga's Revenge, Mr Green Genes, Be-Bop Tango excerpt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:45 am 

balint wrote:
no release date at all.

Well, if it really is the next release, we know it will be before 20 September 2013.

"Remarkable in detail and interview, an unexpected and invaluable look at a such an important and ill-fated moment in Frank's career."

www.idiotbastard.com

Last edited by The Idiot Bastard on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:22 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
before 20 September 2013.

Oh, thanks - was it announced somewhere?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:39 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
Right on cue! A show from this tour had always seemed like the perfect pre-cursor to the Roxy projects. I can remember a few years back when I thought a show from this tour would be released near whatever time-frame the ZFT had planned for the Roxy projects. Some folks thought I was a little left of center thinking this was the perfect timing for long awaited material from this tour . Not to downplay fanatical want of vault items from the moon orbits of long ago, surely the wait is well worth it, but releasing this Road Tapes at this time! This is exactly the kind of release that I thought would come before the Roxy projects. Gail knows how to schedule things. Now is the time!!!

You are so full of shit. Hey! Is that a new shade of brown on your lips? Ooooo, pretty.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:01 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I would guess some combination of the following:

1973 08 18 - KB Hallen, København, Denmark
125 min, Aud, B+/B
soundcheck intro, improvisations, Dupree's Paradise, Cosmik Debris, Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue, Kung Fu, Penguin In Bondage, Dog Meat, RDNZL, Brown Shoes Don't Make It, Village Of The Sun, Echidna's Arf, Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?, Montana, Farther Oblivion, Mr Green Genes, King Kong, Chunga's Revenge, Mr Green Genes

1973 08 21 - Solliden, Skansen, Stockholm, Sweden
75 min, FM, A
Broadcast on radio and TV at various times. Video exists.
Parts of this recording are available on Piquantique - BTB.
Cosmik Debris, Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue, Kung Fu, Penguin In Bondage, RDNZL, Montana, improvisations, Dupree's Paradise (q: Satin Doll), Join The March And Eat My Starch, Farther Oblivion (with last section of Cucamonga played twice)

1973 08 26 - Kalvoya Festivalen, Sandvika, Norway
Soundcheck
5 min, Aud, B-
Dog Breath, Penguin In Bondage
Show
80 min, Aud, A-
10 min of Dupree's Paradise is from a different, B- source.
Village Of The Sun, Echidna's Arf, Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?, Cosmik Debris, Montana, Dupree's Paradise, Brown Shoes Don't Make It, Mr Green Genes, King Kong, Chunga's Revenge, Mr Green Genes, Be-Bop Tango excerpt

I definitely want "Dupree's Paradise" and "RDNZL".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:20 am 

The value of these 1973 shows is their improvs and the introduction of the eventual R&E/OS/Apostrophe material as it evolved. IBS is correct, if they follow their own directives, prior to 9/20/13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:30 am 

tweezers wrote:
The value of these 1973 shows is their improvs and the introduction of the eventual R&E/OS/Apostrophe material as it evolved. IBS is correct, if they follow their own directives, prior to 9/20/13

The R&E material has a different feel, more classical and less funky than the fall band with Napoleon and Chester.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:48 am 

Pope Jim wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

You are so full of shit. Hey! Is that a new shade of brown on your lips? Ooooo, pretty.

Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:55 am 

Great news!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:58 am 

sorry for repeating myself: is it really known that it will be released before the 20th of september?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:34 am 

balint wrote:
sorry for repeating myself: is it really known that it will be released before the 20th of september?
according to snowden, this release date will be either 18th or 20th; he's still trying to sniff out track list

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:54 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
balint wrote:
according to snowden, this release date will be either 18th or 20th; he's still trying to sniff out track list

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:05 pm 

Excellent news. So wait, this is coming out the same week as Roxy By Proxy??

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, November 2010
Dance Me This and The Rage And The Fury should be out by 2012.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, March 28, 2012
Within the year from now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:48 pm 

If it comes out, it would be interesting to compare the Helsinki '73 with Helsinki '74. The '74 band certainly had more entertainment value, pure funk groove and also a fair bit of FZ' guitar power, he really played a lot more rhythm and riffs, perhaps in order to compensate for the lack of brass? But the '73 band had a more diverse range of textures, more great soloists ('74 only had two excellent improvisers: FZ and Duke, '73 band also adds Ian, Bruce and JLP) and more instrumental music, and as P.Buzby referred, a bit more of a classical feel to it.

Plus, if it does have Dupree's on it, I reckon it will be better than the one released on Helsinki '74 album. Gad, that one was a bit disappointing: great stage banter (incl. spot on synth parody of Ian's bass clarinet playing), but then listless jazz-fusion soloing and an ill-advised experiment of mixing jazz-rock drum soloing with Varese style percussion. I hope the '73 Dupree's on the upcoming one would also contain an Underwood flute solo. Or lacking that, an Underwood flute solo anywhere on the album! But even lacking that, I trust it will still be a real treat for hearing his bass clarinet playing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:14 pm 

I saw 73 band April in Princeton, a true highlight. Like Ed, I was a little down on Duprees from YCDTOSA 2, but I have been waiting for JLP since that show - Piquantique was just so hopelessly bad sounding.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 417 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next