Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:24 pm 

vivalapsych wrote:
Is there an English translation of this out there??
original mag300 dpi .jpg → ☻:☺ conversion finnish ocr google translate → [edits] by me

much lost in translation, it talks about:
- 3-hour sound check
- outstanding trombone performance by fowler
- the world's - at the moment - the best violinist
- one or both underwoods being sick [not the standard equipment ¿]
- frank either playing lots or not lots of guitar [insisting that the concerts heard enough of his guitar album ¿]
- Live at Finlandia, Frank recorded it all
- etc. etc.

intro n.10, oct-73
Code:
Finnish rock concert audiences are much maligned. But now we
have at least one influential friend: Frank Zappa himself! He will
definitely be back in the summer back to Finland. This assured
Frank decides to achieve great success [visiting] us.

In Finland, there is a great audience. For a long time we have
not been called out in the same manner as in US - in the house.
Okay, here is familiar with self-rock hero. That was not just flattery
of Finnish people, as already the first night after concerts Frank
wondered for a long time why he received such a joyous reception.

Most of all, he delighted the little girls screeching. Among the
reasons was enough for reflection, Frank and his diamond-hard
manager Herb Cohen. Frank seemed to like it anyway as
well. The concert hall was in his opinion, excellent. It is really
great to make such a change, place everything in the world.

However, regarding ice stadiums. Before coming to Helsinki we
played outside in Sweden and each of us [had a] fucking cold.
Franks impressions made him swear that after Helsinki, it was
outdoor air once again in Norway.

Would we not otherwise have to wonder if in the near future Frank
appeared and his Mothers Of Invention-band record entitled Live at
Finlandia, Frank recorded it all presentation and had the time satisfied.

Frank's phrase 'time satisfied' is already a lot, because of his
reputation and appearance, despite, Frank is a very conscientious
man who will leave nothing to chance. He wants perfection at
every turn. In this sense, was not then in no way surprising that
Frankïla playing in Helsinki was not nothing lazy. Vice versa, hardly
any of the other [bands] here that have done so much work in favor
of concerts.

The first day of the concert, the entire afternoon was dedicated to
sound check. After three hours of hard work, Frank was happy. The
following day the band was not given too much free time, as
commanded by Frank, Mothers re-training. At least nobody can deny
that the public should be offered the best possible. Frank visited here,
the Mothers Of Invention version has been in a size half. At this
time, no not many, the group would have time to go far either.

But the Mothers are different. Very hard and very long complex orchestral
sections containing the [arrangements] to manage the now great heart. The
reason many of us is for the musicians shook will decides amazement
monitoring Mothers work. The secret lies in the fact, that Frank is a really
hard[ass] conductor that makes an excellent [caller] of merciless training
regime before the public shows without missing a beat. This reported
players who enters the night off wanted to play along gladly without Frank's
strength of the command.

Bändi halusi jammata [The band wanted to play along]

The event was organized for them the N-Club, were heard in the presence
of rock-solid playing. It had the world's - at the moment - the best violinist Jean-Luc
Ponty, with Cannonball Adderley here last year; visiting pianist George Duke
from Woody Herman's big orchestra; Frank bands transferred to the brothers,
Bruce and Tom Fowler, trombone and bass; and a Don Ellis former drummer,
Paul Humphrey.

Skills, therefore, was enough for a while now yet also new found enthusiasm, it
was clear the consultation [sound-check] round was quite virtuoso playing.

The surprise of the [night] was Bruce Fowler, who Trombones played a really nice
sounding chorus, in which the register and ideas was enough though to be
shared. Particularly great was his upper register reign.  It is [within the] capablility
of a few trombone player in the world.

Unfortunately, the jams were not consulted Mothers standard equipment [lineup]
within the Ian Underwood, who [caught] a severe[ly] cold in Sweden, and therefore
rested, at the band also calling his wife, Ruth Underwood's with [the same].

Naturally Frank himself stayed out of the from the stage, insisting that the
concerts heard enough of his guitar album.  And yes it is heard at all another
good addition concerts Frank demonstrated and justified satisfaction the
current band.

Never have I not had so technically proficient band or sizes. It is now able to
present the really difficult stuff that they work out easily. It's nice so far, that
may [kïrioittaa] of the assembly almost but what you do not need to fear that
it will not be able to play, Frank said.

Frank has often tried to the role of a politician. Here, however, he refuses
to, sharply.

I am a musician. If I feel like an American society, which prevents me to
deal with it [with] my music. Once resides in the USA so yes there will find there's
topics enough. But in any case, I'm a musician, which is then describes the
features of interest Society, Frank identified their lot.

Not skateboard-free time
Zappa's name is produced by disappointing Zappa possible midst of fierce ways
of life. At least in Finland, he drank mainly coffee and listened to the night in their
hotel, tracks just preceding the concert. Days went by working and what Frank's
band will be, so here is hardly ever there was as nice as the names of the places
the band Mothers are.

These guys for not have any quirks or impossible requirements, which are,
unfortunately, many people here in the back country are bands present.
Let us hope, but we'll see sympathetic to this set of first-in here. Frank in the tend
to scatter band unawares. None of the current band age, he refused to tell. None.

Frank is planning for next year in any case great several LP's packaging Mothers 10- year
anniversary honor. Remember plans he has too much talking about.

Yes, you still hear me, He chuckled when leaving.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:52 pm 

Quote:
- one or both underwoods being sick [not the standard equipment ¿]

I guess this leads to the question of whether Ian being "rested" that night means he didn't play at all (doesn't seem too likely) or just wasn't very involved in the improvised sections (which was often the case on this tour anyway). FWIW, no evidence of Ian in the photo but I do see Ruth's gear at stage right.

And I see this writer is one of a few who mixes up Paul and Ralph Humphrey.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:08 pm 

tweaked/edited a bit on google translate
Quote:
Unfortunately, the jams were not heard on Mothers standard equipment belonging to lan
Underwood, who was severely cold in Sweden and therefore, rested at the hotel
[; the] band including to play with his wife Ruth Underwood now. Naturally Frank himself
stayed away from from the stage, insisting that the concerts heard enough of his guitar album.

original text:

Valitettavasti jameissa ei kuultu Motherseiden vakiokalustoon kuuluvaa
lan Underwoodla, joka oli pahasti vilustunut Ruotsissa ja siksi lepäili
hotellissa bändissä myös soittavan vaimonsa Ruth Underwoodin kanssa.
Luonnollisesti Frank itse pysytteli pois lavalta vakuuttaen, että konserteissa
kuullaan tarpeeksi hänen kitaransoittoaan.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:38 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, the jams were not heard on Mothers standard equipment belonging to lan
[; the] band including to play with his wife Ruth Underwood now. Naturally Frank himself
stayed away from from the stage, insisting that the concerts heard enough of his guitar album.

original text:

Thank you SlimeOoozinOutOfYourTVSet...You da best!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:13 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
Quote:

original text:

Isn't it a bit more like:

Unfortunately the playing was not heard on Mothers' standard equipment belonging to Ian Underwood, who caught a bad cold in Sweden and was resting at the band's hotel, also calling his wife Ruth Underwood along. Naturally Frank himself stayed away from from the stage, insisting that enough of his guitar playing would be heard at the concert.

I would think that Ian was sick and needed a rest and he also needed Ruth to take care of him (not the first time, Ian was sick also at the time of 1968-11-08 Fullerton gig and FZ made a reference to his girlfriend "feeding him chicken soup"). And also, isn't it the report on soundcheck? The next sentence seems to describe the standard sound check practice where the guitarist walks away from the stage just to see how his sound is coming from the amp.

But if Ian was not at the concerts either, I guess the whole album will be like "Our Man in Nirvana" the 1973 edition. With better setlist of course. I can already imagine how weird the "Exercise 4" intro will sound like without the clarinet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:40 am 

In this video, as FZ introduces his crew at the press conference (maybe at the hotel?), he asks: "Where's the Underwoods? Did they come down?"

Which would indicate that the Underwoods were at the hotel (room), Ian recuperating, Ruth taking care.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:21 am 

balint wrote:
Hopefully a great release, knowing the Sandvika and Stockholm shows one might expect a pretty good concert with fine solos.

Although - as always - I just cannot understand the withdrawal of the information: why cannot we know WHY this was chosen to be released, what will the setlist be, what other shows were considered? Would be good to know: some information.

(and of course: no release date at all.)

History has shown that Gail does not frequently release info on Specific Shows and Setlists. Kudos to her! The marketplace is not a kind environment. Lots of time and money goes into putting together the projects and getting them to the marketplace. A marketplace where many Zappa fans have a thousand AUD tapes. It's up to the fans to keep this business moving forward. In today's day and age of digital music far too many potential consumers just copy things without supporting an artist. Often the surprise is the best part of it all. It's great to see some fans that want to pre-order and get the release because they expect the unexpected with a little surprise. Especially if it is a unique show that fans never got their tape trading hands on. I have far more an appreciation for the ZFT way of putting projects together. I don't collect AUDs, but when the ZFT find something that not even the AUD crowd has, if any Zappa release was not enough to raise your hair up the ZFT form of unique makes it a little extra special. Even if Road Tapes has shown some Guerilla Aural NLightenment, for me the ZFT is the place to go for me to get my Zappa music.

That does not mean that anyone can not do a little investigation into what possibly might be coming our way. For the most part I like to let the projects develop at their own pace. Get a release when and with whatever the project content is. Now and then I spend a little extra time pondering some possibilities, but for many the aural splendour of things should be more obvious than what the setlist of a project they are considering purchase on. There are fans that are just waiting and know this is going to be a good one, that they have waited for for a long time for a project like this. One good starting point is to connect the dots of what's missing. One can realize that certain projects go best in being released at a certain time. While I am not a AUD tape collector I have been overjoyed when the ZFT are able to find a concert that the fans have not traded. From my view this is more exciting than any setlist. With the 1973 Euro tour I have always felt the when would be in the general time of the Roxy projects. That missing link of live material leading up to the next tour with Roxy. Especially a few years ago when i heard a new Vault series of concerts was on the way. My gut feeling is that we will not only get this Helsinki show from 8/23/73, and but also, I'm hoping that there will be another surprise from the Vault, another show from the 1973 Euro Tour that fans have not gotten their AUD mittens on. We've waited this long for one show from this tour, two shows that fans never got their AUD hands on, now that would be something. Artisan bread for the Roxy projects.

Excellent work by the ZFT on this.

Trendmonger wrote:
Posted: 17 Jan 2012 21:53 Clearly so many of the cackling hens on this forum poot large doses of negativity towards the ZFT and my support. 100 Official Releases are on the way. I have never stood for any of the extreme negativity since day one of this website and even in this short topic there are so many questions that seem quite negative. I have given clues of a new project series on several occasions and the best we get is a typical negative JAYp STFU response. Wake up folks Gail Has Spoken. A new series is on the way!

I will always support the ZFT and the more I hear the cackling hens the more the divide between the so called negative fans and myself gets. When the new Vault Series gets released I am sure the cackling hens will be ready. Did anyone even take notice of Gail mentioning that a new series is on the way? It was gracious for her to drop a brief mention.

As I have said time and time again I have been expecting a new concept series. Expanding ZAPPA OFFICIAL DIGITAL DOWNLOADS? With some new name, A recent Gail Zappa clue on Rockline would lead to the following possibility for naming of the series, "Frank Zappa, In The Moment" ??? Hmmmm? Look back and digest my projections. My expectations is a new show from Euro 73', this show will help connect the dots of the "Elsewhere" and but also the Roxy Soundrack, the DVD up to KCETV... and that is only one little part of what this new project series may be about. Imagine if you will this one 73" Euro Show being one of many straight from tape, transferred and ready for download. The Knight In Shinning Armor to your Emotional Rescue.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:33 am 

Hello Mr. Clarity.

Trendmonger wrote:
It's up to the fans to keep this business moving forward. In today's day and age of digital music far too many potential consumers just copy things without supporting an artist.

Well, that IS true - but what does it have to do with the details of a product? I'll help: NOTHING.

Trendmonger wrote:
It's great to see some fans that want to pre-order and get the release because they expect the unexpected with a little surprise.

They are the absolute minority, along with you, Christmas Surprise Kid. Business goes differently: I know what I'm buying, sometimes I read reviews, I GET INFORMATION about a product, and after it I'll BUY it. This "surprise" thing is just so childish, as any of the "funny" Gail-talk in the last few years.

Trendmonger wrote:
That does not mean that anyone can not do a little investigation into what possibly might be coming our way.

You - and the ZFT - mix up "business" and the "Columbo" series. This is NOT the place of mystery, surpise, etc..

Trendmonger wrote:
Often the surprise is the best part of it all.

For you - being a Surprise Kid, I'm not surprised at all. But I go for the MUSIC.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:56 am 

Thinking about this more and more. Poor Ian, I say! Well, I guess if we all kept pining for the 1973 JLP live album, none of us were able to guess we'd eventually get one concert that stands out from other Feb-Sep '73 gigs by...the conspicuous absence of the world-renowned multi-woodwind player himself. The one question remains: why is ZFT making the choice for this gig and not, for instance say 1973-03-24 San Diego concert, let alone the fully representative album from the Australian tour? Yeah, Mr. Titone seems to imply that the choice seems to be made for a gig that is uncirculated, but surely that can't be the only factor!

So, I know skepticism about the upcoming releases is treated as heresy on this board, but I think I will most definitely wait until I can make a bit more of an informed decision. Yeah, I know it's strange I'm making such a big deal about one clarinet player, but what a clarinet player he was for the 1973 band!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:29 pm 

ed organ. max. wrote:
Isn't it a bit more like: ...
yes, looks like you've nailed it, was thinking/hoping this was the very scenario you describe, ian only misses the sound check

ruth used to come to sound check for every gig, meet ian there, hold hands & play pure tones
but one night, at the press club meeting, ruth didn't show up ... hopefully mrs. underwood's therapeutic ministerings did the proverbial trick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:32 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
Quote:

original text:

"Vakiokalusto" in this case refers to Ian being a regular member of the band. It's a figure-of-speech-kind-of-a-thingy that the Google translator fails to do justice to...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:42 pm 

Okay, so far, assuming it's beyond doubt the 8/23/73 Helsinki gig we have two scenarios:

Ian plays, despite poor health and was only absent from the SC.

Ian is absent.

Let's see how it really pans out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:43 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
ed organ. max. wrote:
Isn't it a bit more like: ...
[color=#000000]yes, looks like you've nailed it, was thinking/hoping this was the very scenario you describe, ian only misses the sound check

Could be. I have heard of other cases of musicians missing sound check (FZ mentions it in London 79 on YCDTOSA 1) but someone not playing a gig only because of a cold?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:08 pm 

Just a quick clarification: both Underwoods are in the shows!
:)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:10 pm 

Thanks! More details please! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:24 pm 

vaultmeister wrote:

Phew, wot a blessed relief!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:37 pm 

vaultmeister wrote:

That's wonderful news, although I had prepared this little "couplet" --

I figure the odds be 50/50
Ian Underwood whips it out

Obsolete now 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:48 pm 

thanks joe, and thanks to jelly for the finnish interpretation

the tracklist, courtesy of eddie snowden:

intro
dupree's paradise
band intros
cosmik debris

eric dolphy mem. bbq
kung fu
penguin in bondage

exercise #4 / uncle meat
dog breath/d.b. variations
rdnzl

village of the sun
echidna's arf
don't you ever wash that thing

inca roads ¿

montana
dupree's paradise w/g.duke intro
[if not used as opener]
cosmik debris [if not used as opener]

brown shoes don't make it
farther o'blivion incl. preamble, the hook, eat my starch etc.

willie the pimp ¿
t'mershi duween ¿
bebop tango ¿

son of mr. green genes
king kong
chunga's revenge

eddie's gonna let me know if any of the soundcheck stuff made it onto the tapes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:03 pm 

vaultmeister wrote:

Great! This, of course, ruined one of Trendy's surprise elements. But hey, he can speculate whether Frank plays or not and thus still expect the unexpected.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:02 pm 

Last edited by Buckalos on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:40 pm 

I wish the ZFT would release the "Opopoppa DVD" all spiffed up and that would be the best document of that band I think.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:37 pm 

Oh, and another curious remark. In the beginning of the text it says "Frank was amazed by the enthusiastic reception already after the first night's concerts."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:50 am 

jeddy wrote:
I wish the ZFT would release the "Opopoppa DVD" all spiffed up and that would be the best document of that band I think.

they prob don't own it. besides that there's already a GREAT quality version out there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:28 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
jeddy wrote:

they prob don't own it. besides that there's already a GREAT quality version out there.

I'm watching it for the first time now. Thanks!
Can be viewed online here ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqfx2cTeCFk <-------fun stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:34 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
I'm watching it for the first time now.

(I always avoid publishing on-authorised stuffs links here, because the ZFT migh ban it... Those materials are much more valuable to bring them to that risk. Okay, the "office" might know about them of course, but bringin them here might be too highligted - but I might be wrong :-) ).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next