Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:19 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
DC Boogie wrote:
"I'm stealing the towels" - the hidden track after Greggery Peccary on the Ensemble Modern Persuasions cd is also very good. I copied it onto the blank tape after Bogus Pomp on the Orchestral Favorites cassette - a good segue. David Moss' manic vocal style works much better on the hidden track than on Greggery Peccary, where he is so obviously overacting.

Actually, the hidden track from the Ensemble Modern Plays Frank Zappa CD, Greggery Peccary & Other Persuasions, is Does This Kind Of Life Look Interesting To You?...

Right, and I should have called it "I'm stealing the room", since that is the memorable repeated phrase of the piece. Must have been a while since I listened to that cassette 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:59 pm 

The Walt Disney Concert Hall has 2,265 seats. I've been checking overall ticket prices for the venue. The standard seems to be around $110.00 - 55.00 . Many other concerts(Mozart) are over $200.00 for front row. I'll be saving some $ for this one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:10 am 

Couldn't find anyone else willing to travel across the country to see the premiere... so I got one ticket and am gonna go by myself! Front row Balcony, on the aisle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:20 pm 

My guess was very close. WDCH tickets are $98.50 - $46.00. I picked-up some nice Front Terrace seats, about 20 row back, for $77. It's almost sold out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:18 am 

Help please. Now that I have my ticket, I've got questions about the performance. I'm trying to find some linx that describe the differences between the performance and the movie. Also, I'm curious about the differences between the LA and London performances besides being different orchestras with different conductors. Lastly, who is performing? I'm fairly sure that there is a rock band involved and that Thunes is playing in London. But, who else? I've been looking around on this here internet, which is supposed to have all the information in the world, and can't find a damn thing. Is all this supposed to be a secret?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:37 am 

I can't find anything about a rock band being part of this. So far it's the LA Phil and the LA Master Chorale, according to the program. How are they going to perform Mystery Roach and SPUHF? Maybe we'll get some new versions of pieces.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:30 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Help please. Now that I have my ticket, I've got questions about the performance. I'm trying to find some linx that describe the differences between the performance and the movie. Also, I'm curious about the differences between the LA and London performances besides being different orchestras with different conductors. Lastly, who is performing? I'm fairly sure that there is a rock band involved and that Thunes is playing in London. But, who else? I've been looking around on this here internet, which is supposed to have all the information in the world, and can't find a damn thing. Is all this supposed to be a secret?

Pheew,

If Full Length Orchestral Performance is not enough to raise the hair on the pygmy pony's mane try getting an Alladin lamp and a string to make your way to the theatre. Wish I could be there! I have no doubt that something special will happen. A work of this magnitude is a large scaled production. Has the history of live Frank Zappa orchestral works ever had the Zappa's publicizing the 120+ musicians of an orchestra before the event? What I do know is that when it comes to large scaled orchestral works that the path to get to the performance is a long road with lots of turns, unfortunately many times the path has lots of obstacles and road hazards. I'll let the folks putting on the show drive the train. If you need to know who is in the LA Philharmonic research their website. As far as trendy hip musicians that could play alongside the LA Philharmonic, hmm, I don't think that Jaco Pastorious and Tony Williams will be part of the rhythm section, not my place to divulge any surprises, but expect the unexpected of really fine musicians and a really fine conductor. Gail has always done a wonderful job at having some surprises. One would expect that she is involved.

http://www.laphil.com/tickets/10th-anniversary-celebration-green-umbrella-zappa039s-200-motels/2013-10-23

http://livemusicblog.com/2013/02/27/fra ... s-angeles/

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:05 am 

So, you think that there will be fine players and a fine conductor? As usual, the world seems a little more boring after reading one of your posts. I feel a headache coming on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:47 am 

He knows nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:47 am 

coevad wrote:
I can't find anything about a rock band being part of this. So far it's the LA Phil and the LA Master Chorale, according to the program. How are they going to perform Mystery Roach and SPUHF? Maybe we'll get some new versions of pieces.

Kids get out your rulers. Use a chicken to measure it if you have to. Just maybe it is not yet time to reveal these things. The broth is still brewing. The orchestral scores that need to be learned take some time to get to the point where the cretins are well disciplined . I can also assure that if any fans are still wondering who will be handling the mystery rhythm parts that it won't be Max Roach. In speaking of Nuns, rest assured that it won't be Keith Moon or any Little Green Scratchy Sweaters & Courduroy Ponce wearing Irish Catholic Victum. Within the realm of raging possibilities rest assured knowing well that there are an amazing pool of very talented musicians out in California. I suspect that the drum chair will be as hot as it ever has been at Zappa orchestral performance. Enjoy the show, you will be pleasantly surprised. :D

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:03 pm 

He spews nonsense. His oral diarrhea is full of undigested corn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:11 am 

What's clear is that some fans seem to be are under the impression that they have a lack of resources and information.......

FZs 200 Motels Film Score was not a carbon copy template from the Orchestral Score that he wrote several years before the film was made. Not so sure as to why it's so difficult to understand this but history and Gail Zappa's 2013 discussion with Billboard magazine gives plenty of info. I would suggest folks dress themselves up like Frank Zappa and get their hands on an Aladdin Magic Lamp. If folks don't happen to have the entire Larry The Dwarf wardrobe attempt using the FZ Imperial Moustache from Frank Zappa Plays The Music of Frank Zappa: A Memorial Tribute CD.

All kidding aside it should be clear that this adaptation focuses on an adaptation of FZs original full orchestral score. The Film Score that the FZ/Mothers configuration appeared along with The Royal Philharmonic is what it is but don't be confused by the Mothers. The Rock Band, alongside orchestra and choral, the score has been adapted to focus more-so on the orchestral side of things. If anyone wants to get a simple understanding of the adaptation, think about the roles of the soloists and some extra instrumentation. It may very will not be the rock band configuration that FZ had the Mothers do in the film and LP but the Mothers were also different when FZ wrote the orchestra score.

While this will be a première, dateline 1970 had Zubin Meta conducting the LA Philharmonic with a few of the pieces. Dateline 2000, Ali Askin's adaptation had Jurjen Hempel conducting the Nederlands Philharmonisch Orkest with Cappella Amsterdam handling the chorale elements. Ali's adaptation had a number of soloists. While I' could leave that investigation for folks that dress up and get a magic lamp I did say all kidding aside. It was clear that the adaptation is more orchestral in nature than what fans are thinking from watching the 200 Motels Film Score or playing the LP.

The 13 suites adaptation did not have the rock band configuration that appeared in the 200 Motels Film or the LP. Clearly the adaptation elements focused on Orchestra, Chorale and Soloists. The parts of the soloists were: Rance Muhammitz, Rock & Roll Interviewer, Girl, Jeff's Good Conscience, Jeff's Bad Conscience, Jeff, Flo & Eddie.... and but also a Keyboardist and Drummer... Mats Öberg and Morgan Ågren. There are plans where video will be used at the première, that should help attenuate the roles of the soloists.

Here is a brief excerpt from Billboard

"An abridged version was premiered in Holland in 2000 under the title "200 Motels: The 13 Suites." It is written for a rock band with a full orchestra, chorale and 15 soloists. Gail Zappa says they have adapted the score to emphasize the orchestral elements and that the current musicians in symphonies are better equipped to play her husband's music than the musicians of four decades ago."

What's clear is that this Full Orchestral Score will be an adaptation. Only parts of the orchestra score were used in the film. Expect the Unexpected of who will play some of the instrumentation alongside the orchestra...... Frank loved percussion. History has shown that FZ put drums into the orchestra in a most unique way. I am not giving any of the surprises away, but as I've said the drum chair will be as hot as it's ever been at any Zappa orchestral performance.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Last edited by Trendmonger on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:46 am 

I'm not sure who Trendy thinks he's talking to, maybe just himself? Are there other journalists (self-described or otherwise) in the world who consider information to be a bad thing? Anyway, he disapproves of my questions so he is trying to prevent anyone else from addressing them by blathering all over the thread. So, if anyone can help with my questions, I'd appreciate it:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:24 am 

I'm not sure who Trendy thinks he's talking to, maybe just himself? Are there other journalists (self-described or otherwise) in the world who consider information to be a bad thing? Anyway, he disapproves of my questions so he is trying to prevent anyone else from addressing them by blathering all over the thread. So, if anyone can help with my questions, I'd appreciate it:

I for one do not disapprove of his question but I am puzzled why he is fairly sure there will be a rock band involved. He has a ticket yet he fails to see the answers that history tells. So much is there. I'm puzzled why he is fairly sure about what is fairly obvious not part of the adaptation. People see what they want to see. Maybe he wants to see a rock band with certain names on a marque. Why some fans are fairly sure that a rock band is involved is beyond what is being spoken of. What should be fairly obvious is that the event will more-so emphasize orchestral elements.

Is it not clear that the adaptation is more about emphasizing the orchestral elements, but then again maybe he needs the names and instrumentation for the 100+ people that will be involved. Does he need every person in the LA Philharmonic or the Chorale group. Does he really need to know each and every minute detail of the Soloists. So Thunes is playing London, don't let that fool any imagination into thinking there will be a large rock band. I would expect that Scott will be playing an instrumentation soloist role. I am sure that the soloist role that Scott Thunes plays will add some very nice textures alongside the orchestra but it's clear that the score was adapted to emphasize the orchestral elements.

My previous reply spoke of the soloist roles in the 200 Motels: The 13 Suites. I expect that the musicians and instrumentation alongside the orchestra will have slight changes, bass guitar is one of them, but I don't expect a large loud rock band. If fans are wondering how that rock side will be represented. The soloist roles will be amazing, as I stated they will be attenuated by video, but this will show how orchestras of this generation are ready to handle the complexity of FZs works.

Large Rock Bands along side orchestras are a very difficult combination. Often the Orchestra is drowned out if they play the same time. In today's day and age when orchestras are getting better at handling FZs difficult compositions, why spend all that time with a loud rock band downing them out or have an orchestra twiddling their fingers when the band plays Magic Fingers. A quote from Strictly Genteel. " Hey hey hey, everybody in the orchestra and the chorus",.... I am so glad you will be heard!

There is plenty enough information. Sometimes you just have to keep digging and learn on your own. There is plenty of information. As I said I would not expect a large rock band but I do expect the adaptation to have soloist elements that will go along amazingly well with orchestra and chorale elements of the score. Did I mention that the drum chair will be as hot as it ever has been at a Zappa orchestral event.Hmmm

Do you really need to know who will be performing the Soloist Roles.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... d-premiere

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Last edited by Trendmonger on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:54 am 

Trendy: Please Kill Yourself.

You do Frank Zappa NO favors.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:08 am 

Trendy, you almost made a prediction! You almost sorta kinda said that there probably won't be a "Large" rock band! Congratulations! Now, finish the thought --> How many performers are in a large rock band?
When I said "I'm fairly sure that there is a rock band involved", I was talking about a drummer, bass player, guitar and keys. Anything else is gravy. (Hey, GG, there's that phrase!)

In the meantime, if anyone has any answers to the following questions...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:37 am 

Trendy, you almost made a prediction! You almost sorta kinda said that there probably won't be a "Large" rock band! Congratulations! Now, finish the thought --> How many performers are in a large rock band?
When I said "I'm fairly sure that there is a rock band involved", I was talking about a drummer, bass player, guitar and keys. Anything else is gravy. (Hey, GG, there's that phrase!)

In the meantime, if anyone has any answers to the following questions...

Your energies seem to be overtly focused on your perception where you are fairly certain that there is a "Rock Band" involved. That form or Rock Band nomenclature is not in line with the adaptation. More pertinently all indications of the Full Orchestral Premier is about Orchestral Elements, a Choral Group and a number of Soloists that have character roles more than the instrumentation of who The Mothers were on any given occasion.

Now as far as the soloists, I gave a listing of all the characters that were in Ali Askin's adaptation 200 Motels: The 13 Suites. In addition to the soloists that played character roles. Mats Öberg - Keyboards/Vocals and Morgan Ågren - Drums. Those two musicians did not have character roles, some may want to put their participation into the "rock band" slot but in the context of the adaptation, those two extra musicians were not an exhibition of a Rock Band alongside an Orchestra, Choral Group and Soloists. The instrumentation of a few musicians that go along with the soloist roles are far more to create some fabric tones than representing who the Rock Band is on this particular occasion.

I think it is important to get away from the nomenclature of Rock Band. While the soloist roles in the Full Orchestral adaptation may be more expansive than that of 200 Motels: The 13 Suites, let's remember that the adaptation is about an adaptation that emphasises the orchestral elements.

This is not to downplay the soloist roles in the program. It has been stated that video will be used to focus on the soloists in different segments.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:08 am 

Thanks for staying in NY, Trendy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:19 am 

Wow Trendy! A full-on prediction! Who would have guessed, but there you have it! I didn't think you'd actually do it!
So, now that you have predicted that there will NOT be a rock band performing with the Orchestra, I guess its good that you actually posted on this thread. We sure had to wade through a ton of shit to get there though.
Lets see...
Drummer - Check!
Bass Player - Check!
Keyboardist - Check!
Maybe its just a wild prediction of my own, but I'm guessing there will be a guitar player.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:05 am 

As i have alot of imagination i think Frank Zappa will play the drum , thats a kind of hot seat eh?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:35 am 

Wow Trendy! A full-on prediction! Who would have guessed, but there you have it! I didn't think you'd actually do it!
So, now that you have predicted that there will NOT be a rock band performing with the Orchestra, I guess its good that you actually posted on this thread. We sure had to wade through a ton of shit to get there though.
Lets see...
Drummer - Check!
Bass Player - Check!
Keyboardist - Check!
Maybe its just a wild prediction of my own, but I'm guessing there will be a guitar player.

I could see where there could be a guitarist or a number of them. A classical guitar ensemble was part of the original cast and crew of the film. The Classical Guitar Ensemble had gone uncredited in the 200 Motels Film. I would think that whatever textures that guitar(s) would play in the adaptation would not be of the Reent-toont-teent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee variety.

Surely anything is possible, but I want to reiterate that all indication is that the adaptation is going to emphasize the orchestral elements of a symphony. Not that you ever stated a guitarist plugged into thousands of watts of amplification and performing loud guitar solos would be part of the program but the nomenclature of Rock Band with a guitarist seems to be far from the nomenclature of the performance.

While there are many examples of where soloists in Zappa orchestral works are other than that of the guitar, if anyone has heard Revised Music For Low-Budget Orchestra, specifically as performed by Ensemble Moderne on their Greggery Peccary and Other Persuasions CD, they can get an idea of various orchestral instruments carrying the solo. Horns, Stringed Instruments and Percussion....Check. There may very well be guitar in that orchestra but it's obviously underlying elements that are different than Revised Music For Guitar And Low-Budget Orchestra where FZs previously recorded guitar parts, that acted as overdubs, stand out as if it were a solo instrument in an orchestra. On Jean Luc Ponty's King Kong record there is Music For Electric Violin And Low Budget Orchestra. The composition has a Gumbyness like flexibility to what instrumentation can carry the solo section. That composition had adaptations that are quite diverse, while all carry an orchestral side. I think we are going to see far more flexibility in the orchestra carrying the solos in the score.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Last edited by Trendmonger on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:40 am 

Hot Off the presses

http://variety.com/2013/music/features/ ... 200590062/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:43 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
...Surely anything is possible...

Well, I assumed you would get back to saying nothing eventually.

Brainpang, thanks for the link.

In the meantime, if anyone has any info on these questions, I'd appreciate it:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:59 am 

ZutboF wrote:
As i have alot of imagination i think Frank Zappa will play the drum , thats a kind of hot seat eh?

or Ruth :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:24 am 

"Open The Pod Bay Doors Hal" - Dr. Dave Bowman, 2001: A Space Odyssey

As we can see by the commentary in the Variety article we are getting more information regarding stage production. This will only further attenuate what's going on in the program. Imagine if you will the possibilities of Live & ZFT Archive Aural and Visual N'Lightenment, where the Soloists can be far more dimensional in space and time than the recital hall is accustomed to. The so called check lists that some fans have been thinking of. While the Billboard article a while back spoke of video elements attenuating the soloists it's not beyond reasoning that video is a component to add to the instrumentation check-list.

“It’s going to look like a combination of a film set, an art installation, an opera set, a video installation and a theater piece,” Darrah says. “The entire piece functions as this great creative outpouring from Frank, and he actually treats the visual component as though he were writing for another instrument.” 200 Motels Director James Darrah

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next