Ron Paul spoke at the "Path to Peace Conference". The Remnant Newspaper ( national Catholic Newspaper) reports as follows...
"NIAGARA, Sept. 8 -- Despite a Southern Poverty Law Center attempt to derail the Fatima Center's "Path to Peace Conference" in Niagara Falls this week, the event went off without a hitch, and, in fact, attendance numbers exceeded the organizers' expectations.
During the run-up to the Conference last week, liberal newspapers and blogs, relying on a SPLC attack piece against the Fatima Center, initiated an all-out media blitz intended to dissuade the Conference's keynote speaker, Ron Paul, from attending the event. When Paul gave no indication of backing out, however, the media rhetoric began to border on the hysterical, with some reports even going so far as to accuse the former congressman himself of being an anti-Semite.
Dismissing the outrageous charge against the Fatima Center as nothing less than Catholic bashing during an interview on MSNBC, Dr. Paul proceeded to attend the Conference as planned, and in fact brought down the house on Wednesday evening with a powerful, hour-long speech that evoked frequent applause and was interrupted by several standing ovations.
"Jesus is the Prince of Peace," Paul reminded his audience, and together we must all "stand for peace," even with those who don’t share our religion or "agree with us on every issue."
The Conference boasted an impressive international roster of speakers and attendees, which included the Patriarch from Syria, several members of Parliament, bishops from all around the world, pro-life legends such as Joe Sheidler, politicians, newspaper publishers such as Michael J. Matt of The Remnant and John Vennari of Catholic Family News, Canadian media personalities, journalists with permanent accreditation at the United Nations and hundreds of distinguished guests.
When it became clear that Ron Paul would not be intimidated by the SPLC attack campaign, a few far-Left groups threatened on-site protests of the Conference. Those treats were taken seriously enough to warrant a police presence at the Scotiabank Convention Center in Niagara throughout the week.
In the end, not a single protester showed up and nor, for that matter, did anyone from the "outraged" liberal press-- an odd turn of events that left many attendees questioning if anyone in the media had ever actually taken the Southern Poverty Law Center's hysterical fear mongering seriously. After all, if the Conference were really organized by the “largest group of anti-Semites in North America" (according to the SPLC) why didn't a single reporter stop by to check it out? Obviously, there was never anything substantive to the SPLC's libelous charges, and the local media folks knew it.
In the above photo Dr. Ron Paul can be seen chatting with Fr. Gruner, who is seated next to His Beatitude Mar Ignatius Joseph III Younan, the Syrian Catholic Patriarch of Antioch, who flew in from Syria for the Fatima Center's Conference. Quite obviously the Fatima Conference was a major success, with the added dimension of having exposed the Southern Poverty Law Center as the proverbial little mouse that roared.
God bless Ron Paul and all of the speakers and dignitaries—Catholic and non-Catholic—who refused to be bullied by the SPLC, and instead came together for genuine dialogue and to send a powerful message of peace to the world at the very moment when peace is needed most."http://remnantnewspaper.com/Archives/20 ... n-paul.htm
In case you're wondering what the Fatima Center credo is, this is from their website...
"10 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT FATIMA
1. WHAT IS THE MESSAGE OF FATIMA?
The Message of Fatima consists of a number of precise predictions, requests, warnings and promises concerning the Faith and the world which were conveyed by the Blessed Virgin Mary to three shepherd children--Lucia, Jacinta and Francisco--in a series of apparitions at Fatima, Portugal from May to October 1917.
2. WHY SHOULD I BELIEVE THE MESSAGE OF FATIMA?
You should believe the Message of Fatima because:
(1) It was confirmed by an unprecedented public miracle, the Miracle of the Sun, which occurred at precisely the moment Lucia said it would. More than 70,000 people, including Masons, communists and atheists, saw the sun, contrary to all cosmic laws, twirl in the sky, throw off colors and descend to earth. The event was reported in newspapers around the world, including the New York Times.
(2) All of the Popes since the Fatima Miracle have recognized that the Message is authentic. Several Popes have gone to Fatima in person, including Paul VI, John Paul I and John Paul II. John Paul II said at Fatima in 1982 that "the Message of Fatima imposes an obligation on the Church."
(3) Many other miracles have been performed by God authenticating the Fatima Message as coming from Him, not only at the time of the Miracle of the Sun, October 13, 1917, but down the years to the present day, miracles of conversions and cures which science cannot explain by natural means.
(4) The Message of Fatima accurately predicted world events, which proves that it is a true prophecy.
3. WHAT DID THE MESSAGE OF FATIMA PREDICT?
The Message of Fatima accurately predicted in 1917 all of the following events which came to pass:
(1) the end of World War I;
(2) the emergence of Russia as a world power which would "spread its errors (including Communism) throughout the world ... raising up wars and persecutions against the Church";
(3) the election of a Pope who would be named Pius XI;
(4) the waging of a second World War following a strange light in the night sky.
The Message of Fatima also predicted that if the requests of the Virgin Mary at Fatima are not honored, many souls will be lost, "the Holy Father will have much to suffer", there will be further wars and persecutions of the Church and "various nations will be annihilated." The annihilation of nations predicted at Fatima has not yet occurred, but many fear that it will soon happen, given the growing immorality and corruption of the world.
4. WHAT DOES THE MESSAGE OF FATIMA REQUEST?
At Fatima Our Lady said that God wished to establish in the world devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Our Lady said that many souls would be saved from Hell and the annihilation of nations averted if, in time, devotion to Her Immaculate Heart were established principally by these two means:
1) the Consecration of Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary by the Pope together with the world's bishops in a solemn public ceremony, and
(2) the practice or receiving Holy Communion (and other specific devotions of about 1/2 hour in duration) in reparation for the sins committed against the Blessed Virgin Mary, on the first Saturdays of five consecutive months--a practice known to Catholics as "the First Saturday" devotion.
5. HAVE THESE REQUESTS OF OUR LADY OF FATIMA BEEN HONORED?
No, not entirely. A number of the Faithful practice the "First Saturday" devotion, but Russia has yet to be consecrated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary in a solemn public ceremony conducted by the Pope together with the world's Catholic bishops.
In 1982 the last surviving Fatima seer, Lucia, who is now a cloistered nun living in Coimbra, Portugal, was asked if an attempted consecration by Pope John Paul II had sufficed. She replied that it did not suffice, because Russia was not mentioned and the world's bishops had not participated. Another attempted consecration in 1984 likewise did not mention Russia or involve the participation of many of the world's bishops, and Sister Lucia stated immediately afterwards that this consecration, too, had failed to meet Our Lady's requirements.
6. WHAT DOES THE MESSAGE OF FATIMA WARN?
It warns that if the requests of Our Lady of Fatima for the Consecration of Russia and the First Saturday devotion are not honored, the Church will be persecuted, there will be other major wars, the Holy Father will have much to suffer and various nations will be annihilated. Many nations will be enslaved by Russian militant atheists. Most important, many souls will be lost.
7. WHAT DOES THE MESSAGE OF FATIMA PROMISE?
The Message of Fatima promises that if the requests of Our Lady of Fatima are carried out "My Immaculate Heart will triumph. The Holy Father will Consecrate Russia to Me, which will be converted, and a period of peace will be granted to mankind."
8. ISN'T IT TRUE THAT THE CONSECRATION OF RUSSIA WAS DONE IN 1984 AND THAT THE "FALL OF COMMUNISM" PROVES THAT THE CONSECRATION WAS EFFECTIVE AND THAT RUSSIA IS NOW CONVERTING?
No, it is not true. We know it is not true because:
(1) On March 25, 1984, after the consecration of the world, Pope John Paul II said twice that Our Lady of Fatima's request for the consecration of Russia was not done.
(2) Soon after the attempted Consecration of 1984, which did not mention Russia or involve the participation of the world's bishops, Sister Lucia stated it was insufficient because it did not meet the requirements specified to her by Our Lady.
(3) Since 1984 the moral and spiritual state of the world has obviously grown far worse: In the past 14 years there have been 600 million abortions, and wars have broken out all over the world. Mercy-killing and homosexual acts have been "legalized". In Russia itself a new law has just been passed which discriminates against the Catholic Church and in favor of Islam, Buddhism, Judaism and the Orthodox churches which forcibly occupied Catholic parishes under the Communists. Thus it is clear Russia is not converted to the Catholic Faith as Our Lady of Fatima promised would happen if Her request was done.
(4) There have been very few conversions to Catholicism in Russia over the past fourteen years. In all of Russia today there are only 300,000 Catholics--much less than one percent of the Russian population. By comparison, after Our Lady appeared at Guadalupe, Mexico in the 16th Century, more than 7 million Mexicans converted from paganism to the Catholic Faith within nine years and Mexico became a Catholic country.
9. WHY IS THE MESSAGE OF FATIMA IMPORTANT TO ME AND MY FAMILY?
The Message of Fatima is important to you and your family because it involves the salvation of souls, peace in the world and, if the requests of Our Lady of Fatima are not carried out, the consequences are the annihilation of nations and the enslavement of all mankind under militant atheists of Russia.
10. BUT ISN'T THE MESSAGE OF FATIMA JUST A PRIVATE REVELATION WHICH NO CATHOLIC HAS TO BELIEVE?
No, it is not just a private revelation. It is a public, prophetic revelation given by the Virgin Mary, the Mother of God. It is not to be confused with "Revelation" or as it is also called, the Deposit of the Faith, which ended with the death of the last Apostle. But public, prophetic revelation must not be despised. The Virgin Mary's prophecy was confirmed by a public miracle and authenticated by a whole line of Popes. Also, its predictions have come true.
So, while belief in the Message of Fatima may not strictly be required of Catholics as an article of faith, one would be very foolish to disregard such an obviously authentic message from Heaven. As St. Paul taught: "Despise not prophecies, but prove all things; hold fast to that which is good." (1 Thess. 5:20-21) The prophecy of Fatima has been proven worthy of belief. We should not despise it, but rather hold fast to what Our Lady told us at Fatima."http://www.fatima.org/whyfatima.aspx