Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316 ... 379  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 758
Location: Atlanta
What's good for the goose is not always for the gander?

CIA Files Prove America Helped Saddam as He Gassed Iran

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2 ... assed_iran

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Last edited by duchamp on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13756
Location: Billy, the mountain...
US 'ready' to launch Syria strike

Here we go again... but it is not Iraq on the other end...

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 20745
Location: Somewhere in time
Caputh wrote:
I'm not sure about a lot of the above, not because I don't think it's plausible but because it would represent a level of "wicked" efficiency on the part of administrations past and present that I think they just don't have. That is not to say it isn't possible.

However, I do agree that Bin Laden's role and importance has been and still is being exaggerated. His major participation would have seemed to be financial and not on the planning side. In fact, the whole point about Al Qaeda would seem to be that it isn't an "organization" in the strict sense of the word at all. Whether he died years ago or whether he was shot is only important on a symbolic level. Mind you, that can be pretty important.



Bin Laden was a figure head, a poster boy...he brought the faithful in, regardless of planning and money the success rate of many of their activities were directly related to his “leadership”. As to him being dead in 2002 that is highly unlikely due to what we have learned about him hiding in plain site in Pakistan and lets not forget his communications which referenced current events.

As for Iraq the best theory for US activity there was a front to get in the country and to further archeological digs that German Archeologist started that were uncovering virtually untouched sites of the Sumerians that held keys to advanced ancient alien technologies.

The US government had been trying to get at those sites since the Gulf War, they signaled to Saddam that he could invade Kuwait so they could invade Iraq, but when the coalition would not agree to an invasion of the area around Baghdad, the opportunity was lost.

Until the Government allowed the 911 attacks to proceed in order to connect Saddam to allow the US to once again invade Iraq. Every major Sumerian site had a military base on it. They even raided the museum and made it look like it was a mob.

The only reason the US got out is they found what they were looking for... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3568
Plook wrote:
As for Iraq the best theory for US activity there was a front to get in the country and to further archeological digs that German Archeologist started that were uncovering virtually untouched sites of the Sumerians that held keys to advanced ancient alien technologies.

The US government had been trying to get at those sites since the Gulf War, they signaled to Saddam that he could invade Kuwait so they could invade Iraq, but when the coalition would not agree to an invasion of the area around Baghdad, the opportunity was lost.

Until the Government allowed the 911 attacks to proceed in order to connect Saddam to allow the US to once again invade Iraq. Every major Sumerian site had a military base on it. They even raided the museum and made it look like it was a mob.

The only reason the US got out is they found what they were looking for... :smoke:


Okay, I'll bite. WHY do you believe this? I'm sure you realize it all sounds rather Klooky.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 20745
Location: Somewhere in time
brainpang wrote:
Plook wrote:
As for Iraq the best theory for US activity there was a front to get in the country and to further archeological digs that German Archeologist started that were uncovering virtually untouched sites of the Sumerians that held keys to advanced ancient alien technologies.

The US government had been trying to get at those sites since the Gulf War, they signaled to Saddam that he could invade Kuwait so they could invade Iraq, but when the coalition would not agree to an invasion of the area around Baghdad, the opportunity was lost.

Until the Government allowed the 911 attacks to proceed in order to connect Saddam to allow the US to once again invade Iraq. Every major Sumerian site had a military base on it. They even raided the museum and made it look like it was a mob.

The only reason the US got out is they found what they were looking for... :smoke:


Okay, I'll bite. WHY do you believe this? I'm sure you realize it all sounds rather Klooky.



If I told you...you would have to start wearing tin foil on your head...take it on faith, its right... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 1849
"Faith is believing in something you know ain't so." - Mark Twain


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 20745
Location: Somewhere in time
A rope leash wrote:
"Faith is believing in something you know ain't so." - Mark Twain



You can trust me on this one...I did the leg work... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3552
http://hotair.com/archives/2013/08/28/harvard-gun-study-concludes-gun-bans-dont-reduce-the-murder-rate/ Even liberal Harvard explains the truth.

_________________
Confusion will be my epitaph


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3568
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:


Not so sure about this. Different countries, different peoples. Russia is full of angry, bitter citizens and have a massive alcoholism problem...plus all their good looking wimmen flee to the USA to work in titty bars, makes the men insane. Norway is awash in oil wealth, etc etc.

I also found this:

"It is important to note here that Profs. Kates and Mauser are not pro-gun zealots. In fact, they go out of their way to stress that their study neither proves that gun control causes higher murder rates nor that increased gun ownership necessarily leads to lower murder rates."

http://theacru.org/acru/harvard_study_g ... roductive/

Thanks for posting the study, lots of food for thought there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 758
Location: Atlanta
Plook wrote:
A rope leash wrote:
"Faith is believing in something you know ain't so." - Mark Twain



You can trust me on this one...I did the leg work... :smoke:


I had no idea you had been to Iraq. That's pretty cool. What was it like?

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:40 pm
Posts: 3580
Location: Eugene, OR
Plook wrote:


You can trust me on this one...I did the leg work... :smoke:

How about showing us some facts and compelling evidence?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 5415
Location: Birthplace of Grand Funk Railroad & Mr Don Preston
Researchers in Sweden have confirmed a short-lived but super-heavy element dubbed ununpentium as its unofficial name.

_________________
*********************************************************************

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 20745
Location: Somewhere in time
Pope Jim wrote:
Plook wrote:


You can trust me on this one...I did the leg work... :smoke:

How about showing us some facts and compelling evidence?



I will tell you what I will do, I will have some time in the next week (since my 5 weeks on the road are done) and I will wirte out what happened and you all can decide for your selves... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Plook wrote:
Pope Jim wrote:
Plook wrote:


You can trust me on this one...I did the leg work... :smoke:

How about showing us some facts and compelling evidence?



I will tell you what I will do, I will have some time in the next week (since my 5 weeks on the road are done) and I will wirte out what happened and you all can decide for your selves...

Wirte,squirt or twerk, ya do what ya gotta do Plook. :wink: :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:40 pm
Posts: 3580
Location: Eugene, OR
Please don't twerk. The skank was bad enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3568
Plook wrote:
Pope Jim wrote:
Plook wrote:


You can trust me on this one...I did the leg work... :smoke:

How about showing us some facts and compelling evidence?



I will tell you what I will do, I will have some time in the next week (since my 5 weeks on the road are done) and I will wirte out what happened and you all can decide for your selves... :smoke:


???????????????????????????
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 2583
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
Image

NASA Funds Mother of All 3D Printers to Build Equipment in Space


Way cooler than mass-producing plastic iPhone cases.

By Molly Mulshine 8/29 4:58pm

Image

In news that may not make sense to people who are not rocket scientists, NASA has recently awarded Tethers Unlimited $500,000 to develop a robotic 3D printer that would build huge structures while in orbit, Gigaom reports.

The SpiderFab printer and assembly system would be able to throw together structures more than half a mile wide, Gigaom says. NASA would densely pack materials into existing spacecraft so that the SpiderFab could assemble it into “extremely large structures that are optimized for the space environment,” Tethers Unlimited CEO Rob Hoyt is quoted as saying.

This will enable NASA to create equipment far larger than what they can build on earth, he adds, “providing higher power, higher bandwidth, higher resolution, and higher sensitivity for a wide range of space missions.”

This 3D printer to end all 3D printers will be able to create antennae and telescopes huge enough to search for planets way farther away than what we can currently detect. As an added bonus, we’ll be able to start using the pickup line, “Are you a space robot? Because I heard your antenna is out of this world.”

Earl Grey, hot...

_________________
_________________Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3223
Location: Between the Badges
From Thom Hartmann's blog:

IRS being sued for ignoring tax-exempt churches' political activities

The IRS is facing a lawsuit over its failure to enforce the church electioneering ban that's been in place since 1954. The Internal Revenue Code prohibits tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organizations - including churches - from intervening or participating in political campaigns on behalf of, or in opposition to, any candidate.
But, many churches are ignoring that law. In an annual event called "Pulpit Freedom Sunday," pastors from more than 1,000 churches have challenged the regulation by preaching about political topics. The group did this leading up to the 2012 election as well - with many pastors flat out endorsing Mitt Romney for President in their daily sermons.
The Freedom From Religion Foundation is suing the IRS for its "policy of non-enforcement of the electioneering restrictions" when it comes to churches and religious organizations. So - isn't this the real IRS scandal? Should churches and pastors be allowed to openly preach politics? According to IRS regulations - "501(c)(4) [organizations] provide for exemption from federal income tax of civic leagues or organizations not organized for profit but operated exclusively for the promotion of social welfare." Somehow, the word "exclusively" is being left out of enforcement, and the Freedom From Religion Foundation says that must change.
-Thom


Tax the Churches!

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3223
Location: Between the Badges
New plastic becomes stronger when stressed, drop-proof smartphones incoming

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/165457-new-plastic-becomes-stronger-when-stressed-drop-proof-smartphones-incoming

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 5415
Location: Birthplace of Grand Funk Railroad & Mr Don Preston
That old tv show Crossfire is coming back. CNN just showed a few seconds of FZ telling that bespeckled twit off.

_________________
*********************************************************************

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Milton Bradley wrote:
That old tv show Crossfire is coming back. CNN just showed a few seconds of FZ telling that bespeckled twit off.

I got a Yahoo alert today about FZ being on that show. There's a short clip on CNN's web page with FZ on crossfire from the censorship '80's labeling mash-up daze. That bespeckled twits on it too. The twit seems to have a thing for incest. "You need to get out more" - FZ.
If there was ever a picture of a twit, it would be this guy sittin' there. :roll: imo

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9577
Location: EINDHOVEN
My dad watched that, and I asked him what he thought.
"Weird guy," he said.
"Which one?" I asked.
"The one with the glasses."
:)

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3568
I coulda sworn that guy died but it seems not?

huh, here he is interviewing (grilling) Allen Ginsberg. Lofton reminds me of someone here on this very forum: I can't get beyond what I pasted below.

http://aniceplace.wordpress.com/2008/11 ... hn-lofton/

WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE


JOHN LOFTON: In the first section of your poem “Howl” you wrote: “I saw the best young minds of my generation destroyed by madness.” Did this also apply to you?

ALLEN GINSBERG: That’s not an accurate quotation. I said the “best minds,” not “the best young minds.” This is what is called hyperbole, an exaggerated statement, sort of a romantic statement. I suppose it could apply to me too, or anybody. People who survived and became prosperous in a basically aggressive, warlike society are in a sense destroyed by madness. Those who freaked out and couldn’t make it, or were traumatized, or artists who starved, or whatnot, they couldn’t make it either. It kinda cuts both ways. There’s an element of humor there.

LOFTON: When you say you suppose this could have applied to you, does this mean you don’t know if you are mad?

GINSBERG: Well, who does? I mean everybody is a little mad.

LOFTON: But I’m asking you.

GINSBERG: You are perhaps taking this a little too literally. There are several kinds of madness: divine madness—

LOFTON: But I’m talking about this in the sense you spoke of in your 1949 poem “Bop Lyrics,” when you wrote: “I’m so lucky to be nutty.”

GINSBERG: You’re misinterpreting the way I’m using the word.

LOFTON: No. I’m asking you a question. I’m not interpreting anything.

GINSBERG: I’m afraid that your linguistic presupposition is that “nutty” as you define it means insanity rather than inspiration. You are interpreting, though you say you aren’t, by choosing one definition and excluding another. So I think you’ll have to admit you are interpreting.

LOFTON: Actually, I don’t admit that.

GINSBERG: You don’t want to admit nuttin’! But you want me to admit something. Come on. Come off it. Don’t be a prig.

LOFTON: I’m just trying to understand what you meant by what you wrote. But this question of madness.

GINSBERG: There’s also another background. In Zen Buddhism there is wild wisdom, or crazy wisdom, crazy in the sense of wild, unlimited, unbounded. Or as in jazz, when someone plays a beautiful riff or extemporizes, they say, “Crazy, man,”

LOFTON: But I am interested in this question of your possible madness. It’s not a gratuitous question. There is a history of madness in your family.

GINSBERG: Very much so.

LOFTON: Your mom died in 1956 in a mental institution. Before that. in 1949, when you were twenty-three. you spent eight months in the Columbia Psychiatric Institute. What was this psychiatric disability and why did you spend just eight months in this institute?

GINSBERG: Well, I had a sort of visionary experience in which I heard William Blake’s voice. It was probably an auditory hallucination, but it was a very rich experience.

LOFTON: This happened while you were masturbating, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4886
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
What I found particularly unattractive about Lofton in that interview on "Crossfire" was his tendency to oscillate between being chummy towards Zappa ("Now, Frank!" - like they knew each other) and pathetically arrogant ("Mr. Zappa!")

What a man,
what a reporter,
what a dork...

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Caputh wrote:
What I found particularly unattractive about Lofton in that interview on "Crossfire" was his tendency to oscillate between being chummy towards Zappa ("Now, Frank!" - like they knew each other) and pathetically arrogant ("Mr. Zappa!")

What a man,
what a reporter,
what a dork...

His body language sez a lot too. He almost is completely sideways confronting the monster that's Frank. Frank looks like he's really tired of this kind of attacking debate. He should be, it's not a debate at all. Just Lofton putting down everything FZ sez or turning his meaning around to fit his weazely theories about music lyrics. Lofton just can't get over what he thinks Frank stands for and is scared by it. "It" being freedom of expression, liberals, etcetera.

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316 ... 379  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group