Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:13 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
Not much difference, if any. :roll:

Quick example: I looove XTC but I don't pay much attention to Andy Partridge's current goings-on.
I don't give a fuck about skimming fourty-three pages back through this thread to find the substance behind your "recent points" as you put it.

That's the "delta", Sir.

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:09 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Not much difference, if any. :roll:

Quick example: I looove XTC but I don't pay much attention to Andy Partridge's current goings-on.
I don't give a fuck about skimming fourty-three pages back through this thread to find the substance behind your "recent points" as you put it.

That's the "delta", Sir.

The contexts of the above example and this thread are two different contexts.

And anyway, if you truly don't give a fuck, why are you responding to my posts in this thread? :roll:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:53 pm 

This is what now DB, meta of meta? Seriously, I can't tell if you are just posting using the I-Ching or what. You are the talk of half of the most active threads right now and I have no idea what you are talking about other than rampantly defending yourself against a whole lotta negative energy. I see you rambling about Proof, Evidence, Context and all that, ya know, the usual. Same for your new favorite word ad whocaresanem. Just say "insult". Thats how its being used anyway, so why bother with a more complex term if its not going to be more clear to do so?
Maybe this post will help, maybe not. It does feel alot like someone was saying a week or so ago about trying to help a bee that will sting you for doing so, rather than outright squashing it. I get the idea that you are not going to be receptive to any request for clarification, but really, its your best bet right now. If these vague posts of yours make any sense to you, great, have fun if thats what this is for you. Its not looking good from here though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:15 pm 

Don't worry about [any of us], Arkay -
[we're] having a great time --

Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:03 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
This is what now DB, meta of meta? Seriously, I can't tell if you are just posting using the I-Ching or what. You are the talk of half of the most active threads right now and I have no idea what you are talking about other than rampantly defending yourself against a whole lotta negative energy. I see you rambling about Proof, Evidence, Context and all that, ya know, the usual. Same for your new favorite word ad whocaresanem. Just say "insult". Thats how its being used anyway, so why bother with a more complex term if its not going to be more clear to do so?
Maybe this post will help, maybe not. It does feel alot like someone was saying a week or so ago about trying to help a bee that will sting you for doing so, rather than outright squashing it. I get the idea that you are not going to be receptive to any request for clarification, but really, its your best bet right now. If these vague posts of yours make any sense to you, great, have fun if thats what this is for you. Its not looking good from here though.

Vague posts? No idea what I'm talking about? Rambling proof, evidence, context? I've ALWAYS been crystal clear regarding what my points are. If you can't see that, then you're just not paying attention and jumping into threads without perusing them, like most of the rest here. And now for your apparently English lesson: an insult is different from an ad hominem. That's why I used the word...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:12 am 

Yeah, you can say that, doesn't change anything though. Oh well, its about what I expected, recalcitrance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:06 am 

Same for your new favorite word ad whocaresanem. Just say "insult". Thats how its being used anyway, so why bother with a more complex term if its not going to be more clear to do so?

Actually, DB is possibly being nicer to his detractors in using the term "ad hominem" than he intends.
"Paul Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement lists ad hominem as the second worst type of argument in a disagreement." (my italics), which "attacks the characteristics or the authority of the writer without addressing the substance of the argument".

The worst is apparently name-calling. The example given by Graham is: "You are an ass-hat". Reminds me of somebody, I can't think who...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:23 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Same for your new favorite word ad whocaresanem. Just say "insult". Thats how its being used anyway, so why bother with a more complex term if its not going to be more clear to do so?

Actually, DB is possibly being nicer to his detractors in using the term "ad hominem" than he intends.
"Paul Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement lists ad hominem as the second worst type of argument in a disagreement." (my italics), which "attacks the characteristics or the authority of the writer without addressing the substance of the argument".

The worst is apparently name-calling. The example given by Graham is: "You are an ass-hat". Reminds me of somebody, I can't think who...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

All Bullies use that technique, apparently it is very successful to use name calling to target someone, somehow it is perceived to strengthen their position and get others to look down on the target... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:45 pm 

So, let's recap:

NONE of you have disproven or provided enough evidence to derail my points. And of course, you continue to throw those wonderful ad hominems at me instead.

Let me know when you've actually got something of substance to provide...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:01 pm 

Yup, you've shown us ALL! We suck! We're not worthy! Now offer some positivity to the group or go elsewhere.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:05 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Yup, you've shown us ALL! We suck! We're not worthy!

Don't be so hard on yourselves. Just admit you're wrong, then start thinking objectively, instead of subjectively (like most of you seem to). And then maybe you won't be so uptight.

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Now offer some positivity to the group or go elsewhere.

Spoken like a true dictator.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:29 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
Don't be so hard on yourselves.

Ok, 10-4. I'll take it easy.

Disco Boy wrote:
Just admit you're wrong,

I am wrong.

Disco Boy wrote:
then start thinking objectively,

Now thinking objectively

Disco Boy wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:

Yup, a dictator that forces people to have a good time and be nice. What a dick I am.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:45 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Don't be so hard on yourselves.

Ok, 10-4. I'll take it easy.

Disco Boy wrote:
Just admit you're wrong,

I am wrong.

Disco Boy wrote:
then start thinking objectively,

Now thinking objectively

Excellent!

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:

Yup, a dictator that forces people to have a good time and be nice. What a dick I am.

The very idea of wanting to FORCE people to do that or just about anything, regardless of whether or not it's a good time, is why I called you a dictator.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:48 pm 

Ok, everyone have a good time and be nice. Or don't. :roll:

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:21 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
everyone have a good time and be nice. Or don't.

That's pretty much my philosophy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:29 pm 

Leave his hair alone,
But you can kiss his comb :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:44 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
So, let's recap:

NONE of you have disproven or provided enough evidence to derail my points. And of course, you continue to throw those wonderful ad hominems at me instead.

Nobody knows what DB's "points" are anymore - that's why they're rather difficult to derail...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:27 am 

Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
So, let's recap:

Nobody knows what DB's "points" are anymore - that's why they're rather difficult to derail...

I liked DB's posting the set lists from the latest DZpZ shows. Come on DB, put on your Big Ball pants and play, I mean keep doing what you do best, posting set lists that can't be argued with. There's always one guy here who understands you. I'd like to thank Caputh for holding your Big "bully" Balls to the fire. It will forge them into bigger and better balls with true bearings! You discuss your points with a little uptightness bro' and your comin' off as a school master and we're kids and maybe a little ugly too. No one's dumb all over here unless you want to start a club? Quit blaming everything on everybody else and take a look at yourself man. Try to be nice, that will help to the squelch the bitterness in everyone's throat from the much ado about nothing that's been going on through multi threads and countless pages of ad homonemisis & dufesesses passing nasty notes back & forth. Are we in 4th grade or what?
Just my humble opinion bro, I love ya man! :wink:

One question, have you never been mellow? :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: right on
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:20 am 

Actually, I scrolled back to the last "point" DB mentioned on this thread and that was...

Disco Boy wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Right on queue...AGAIN.
it's 'right on cue', knucklehead.

No. It's either or, genius.

And that was on page 35. So to sum up the state of play and to remind all of us; most people posting on this thread believe that one writes the phrase "right on cue". Disco Boy, through reason, logic and compelling evidence, believes that one can write the phrase "right on cue" or "right on queue" - 9 pages later...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:44 am 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:51 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-axJTzj0VU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:17 am 

Caputh wrote:
So to sum up the state of play and to remind all of us; most people posting on this thread believe that one writes the phrase "right on cue". Disco Boy, through reason, logic and compelling evidence, believes that one can write the phrase "right on cue" or "right on queue" - 9 pages later...

Gotcha. Sure, yeah, whatever. Although the majority of the english-speaking population uses 'queue' in that phrase, DB believes that you can use 'cue' to complete the same phrase. Ok, cool, gotcha. Fascinating. Moving on.

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:32 am 

so what I use is Q

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:06 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Caputh wrote:
So to sum up the state of play and to remind all of us; most people posting on this thread believe that one writes the phrase "right on cue". Disco Boy, through reason, logic and compelling evidence, believes that one can write the phrase "right on cue" or "right on queue" - 9 pages later...

Gotcha. Sure, yeah, whatever. Although the majority of the english-speaking population uses 'queue' in that phrase, DB believes that you can use 'cue' to complete the same phrase. Ok, cool, gotcha. Fascinating. Moving on.

I am pretty sure even he has forgotten what the hell the actual point was too... :mrgreen:

:smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:01 am 

Points? Is someone keeping a list of points that people make from time to time?
Like later, we're going to go see Charles Lloyd and Bill Frisell for free in Grant Park. Miss Kitty asked if we should check the weather, so I said "you got a point there". I don't think she marked it down for future reference, but maybe she should have.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next