Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3178
Location: Chicago, IL
Disco Boy wrote:
Not much difference, if any. :roll:


Quick example: I looove XTC but I don't pay much attention to Andy Partridge's current goings-on.
I don't give a fuck about skimming fourty-three pages back through this thread to find the substance behind your "recent points" as you put it.

That's the "delta", Sir.

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3541
Location: Vancouver, BC
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Not much difference, if any. :roll:


Quick example: I looove XTC but I don't pay much attention to Andy Partridge's current goings-on.
I don't give a fuck about skimming fourty-three pages back through this thread to find the substance behind your "recent points" as you put it.

That's the "delta", Sir.


The contexts of the above example and this thread are two different contexts.

And anyway, if you truly don't give a fuck, why are you responding to my posts in this thread? :roll:

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3042
Location: Between the Badges
This is what now DB, meta of meta? Seriously, I can't tell if you are just posting using the I-Ching or what. You are the talk of half of the most active threads right now and I have no idea what you are talking about other than rampantly defending yourself against a whole lotta negative energy. I see you rambling about Proof, Evidence, Context and all that, ya know, the usual. Same for your new favorite word ad whocaresanem. Just say "insult". Thats how its being used anyway, so why bother with a more complex term if its not going to be more clear to do so?
Maybe this post will help, maybe not. It does feel alot like someone was saying a week or so ago about trying to help a bee that will sting you for doing so, rather than outright squashing it. I get the idea that you are not going to be receptive to any request for clarification, but really, its your best bet right now. If these vague posts of yours make any sense to you, great, have fun if thats what this is for you. Its not looking good from here though.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:41 am
Posts: 424
Location: Centerville, Norway
Don't worry about [any of us], Arkay -
[we're] having a great time --


Image Image
Image
Image Image

_________________
If I'm not alone... How long have I been asleep?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3541
Location: Vancouver, BC
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
This is what now DB, meta of meta? Seriously, I can't tell if you are just posting using the I-Ching or what. You are the talk of half of the most active threads right now and I have no idea what you are talking about other than rampantly defending yourself against a whole lotta negative energy. I see you rambling about Proof, Evidence, Context and all that, ya know, the usual. Same for your new favorite word ad whocaresanem. Just say "insult". Thats how its being used anyway, so why bother with a more complex term if its not going to be more clear to do so?
Maybe this post will help, maybe not. It does feel alot like someone was saying a week or so ago about trying to help a bee that will sting you for doing so, rather than outright squashing it. I get the idea that you are not going to be receptive to any request for clarification, but really, its your best bet right now. If these vague posts of yours make any sense to you, great, have fun if thats what this is for you. Its not looking good from here though.


Vague posts? No idea what I'm talking about? Rambling proof, evidence, context? I've ALWAYS been crystal clear regarding what my points are. If you can't see that, then you're just not paying attention and jumping into threads without perusing them, like most of the rest here. And now for your apparently English lesson: an insult is different from an ad hominem. That's why I used the word...

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3042
Location: Between the Badges
Yeah, you can say that, doesn't change anything though. Oh well, its about what I expected, recalcitrance.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4756
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Same for your new favorite word ad whocaresanem. Just say "insult". Thats how its being used anyway, so why bother with a more complex term if its not going to be more clear to do so?


Actually, DB is possibly being nicer to his detractors in using the term "ad hominem" than he intends.
"Paul Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement lists ad hominem as the second worst type of argument in a disagreement." (my italics), which "attacks the characteristics or the authority of the writer without addressing the substance of the argument".

The worst is apparently name-calling. The example given by Graham is: "You are an ass-hat". Reminds me of somebody, I can't think who...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19520
Location: Somewhere in time
Caputh wrote:
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Same for your new favorite word ad whocaresanem. Just say "insult". Thats how its being used anyway, so why bother with a more complex term if its not going to be more clear to do so?


Actually, DB is possibly being nicer to his detractors in using the term "ad hominem" than he intends.
"Paul Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement lists ad hominem as the second worst type of argument in a disagreement." (my italics), which "attacks the characteristics or the authority of the writer without addressing the substance of the argument".

The worst is apparently name-calling. The example given by Graham is: "You are an ass-hat". Reminds me of somebody, I can't think who...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem



All Bullies use that technique, apparently it is very successful to use name calling to target someone, somehow it is perceived to strengthen their position and get others to look down on the target... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3541
Location: Vancouver, BC
So, let's recap:

NONE of you have disproven or provided enough evidence to derail my points. And of course, you continue to throw those wonderful ad hominems at me instead.

















Let me know when you've actually got something of substance to provide...

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3178
Location: Chicago, IL
Yup, you've shown us ALL! We suck! We're not worthy! Now offer some positivity to the group or go elsewhere.

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3541
Location: Vancouver, BC
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Yup, you've shown us ALL! We suck! We're not worthy!


Don't be so hard on yourselves. Just admit you're wrong, then start thinking objectively, instead of subjectively (like most of you seem to). And then maybe you won't be so uptight.

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Now offer some positivity to the group or go elsewhere.


Spoken like a true dictator.

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3178
Location: Chicago, IL
Disco Boy wrote:
Don't be so hard on yourselves.

Ok, 10-4. I'll take it easy.

Disco Boy wrote:
Just admit you're wrong,


I am wrong.

Disco Boy wrote:
then start thinking objectively,


Now thinking objectively

Disco Boy wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Now offer some positivity to the group or go elsewhere.

Spoken like a true dictator.


Yup, a dictator that forces people to have a good time and be nice. What a dick I am.

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3541
Location: Vancouver, BC
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Don't be so hard on yourselves.

Ok, 10-4. I'll take it easy.

Disco Boy wrote:
Just admit you're wrong,


I am wrong.

Disco Boy wrote:
then start thinking objectively,


Now thinking objectively


Excellent!

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Now offer some positivity to the group or go elsewhere.

Spoken like a true dictator.


Yup, a dictator that forces people to have a good time and be nice. What a dick I am.


The very idea of wanting to FORCE people to do that or just about anything, regardless of whether or not it's a good time, is why I called you a dictator.

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3178
Location: Chicago, IL
Ok, everyone have a good time and be nice. Or don't. :roll:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2233
PenguinInBondage wrote:
everyone have a good time and be nice. Or don't.

That's pretty much my philosophy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5692
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Leave his hair alone,
But you can kiss his comb :P


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4756
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Disco Boy wrote:
So, let's recap:

NONE of you have disproven or provided enough evidence to derail my points. And of course, you continue to throw those wonderful ad hominems at me instead.
.


Nobody knows what DB's "points" are anymore - that's why they're rather difficult to derail...

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13138
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
So, let's recap:

NONE of you have disproven or provided enough evidence to derail my points. And of course, you continue to throw those wonderful ad hominems at me instead.
.


Nobody knows what DB's "points" are anymore - that's why they're rather difficult to derail...

I liked DB's posting the set lists from the latest DZpZ shows. Come on DB, put on your Big Ball pants and play, I mean keep doing what you do best, posting set lists that can't be argued with. There's always one guy here who understands you. I'd like to thank Caputh for holding your Big "bully" Balls to the fire. It will forge them into bigger and better balls with true bearings! You discuss your points with a little uptightness bro' and your comin' off as a school master and we're kids and maybe a little ugly too. No one's dumb all over here unless you want to start a club? Quit blaming everything on everybody else and take a look at yourself man. Try to be nice, that will help to the squelch the bitterness in everyone's throat from the much ado about nothing that's been going on through multi threads and countless pages of ad homonemisis & dufesesses passing nasty notes back & forth. Are we in 4th grade or what?
Just my humble opinion bro, I love ya man! :wink:

One question, have you never been mellow? :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: right on
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4756
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Actually, I scrolled back to the last "point" DB mentioned on this thread and that was...

Disco Boy wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Right on queue...AGAIN.
it's 'right on cue', knucklehead.


No. It's either or, genius.


And that was on page 35. So to sum up the state of play and to remind all of us; most people posting on this thread believe that one writes the phrase "right on cue". Disco Boy, through reason, logic and compelling evidence, believes that one can write the phrase "right on cue" or "right on queue" - 9 pages later...

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3529
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 741
Location: Atlanta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-axJTzj0VU

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: right on
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3178
Location: Chicago, IL
Caputh wrote:
So to sum up the state of play and to remind all of us; most people posting on this thread believe that one writes the phrase "right on cue". Disco Boy, through reason, logic and compelling evidence, believes that one can write the phrase "right on cue" or "right on queue" - 9 pages later...


Gotcha. Sure, yeah, whatever. Although the majority of the english-speaking population uses 'queue' in that phrase, DB believes that you can use 'cue' to complete the same phrase. Ok, cool, gotcha. Fascinating. Moving on.

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3484
so what I use is Q

_________________
Confusion will be my epitaph


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: right on
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19520
Location: Somewhere in time
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Caputh wrote:
So to sum up the state of play and to remind all of us; most people posting on this thread believe that one writes the phrase "right on cue". Disco Boy, through reason, logic and compelling evidence, believes that one can write the phrase "right on cue" or "right on queue" - 9 pages later...


Gotcha. Sure, yeah, whatever. Although the majority of the english-speaking population uses 'queue' in that phrase, DB believes that you can use 'cue' to complete the same phrase. Ok, cool, gotcha. Fascinating. Moving on.



I am pretty sure even he has forgotten what the hell the actual point was too... :mrgreen:


:smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3042
Location: Between the Badges
Points? Is someone keeping a list of points that people make from time to time?
Like later, we're going to go see Charles Lloyd and Bill Frisell for free in Grant Park. Miss Kitty asked if we should check the weather, so I said "you got a point there". I don't think she marked it down for future reference, but maybe she should have.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group