Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 181  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:45 pm 

Plook wrote:
Go see Cal... :smoke:

if you wanna save a buck...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:53 pm 

coevad wrote:
Plook wrote:
Go see Cal...

Go see Cal...
If I see Cal now it would scare the crap outta me! :shock:

I used to like his "or I'll eat a bug" shtick. That wing walking was for real though, strapped on or not. I always wanted to do that, I'm real good at car roof surfin', so that would be the natural progression. Hmm, there's no crazy pumkin'. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:15 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
coevad wrote:
Plook wrote:
Go see Cal...

Go see Cal...
If I see Cal now it would scare the crap outta me! :shock:

I used to like his "or I'll eat a bug" shtick. That wing walking was for real though, strapped on or not. I always wanted to do that, I'm real good at car roof surfin', so that would be the natural progression. Hmm, there's no crazy pumkin'. :twisted:

KK you are the crazy pumpkin :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:09 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I'm real good at car roof surfin', so that would be the natural progression. Hmm, there's no crazy pumkin'. :twisted:

Never done that, but I have sat upon the car hood, in dense fog, shouting directions to the driver.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:40 am 

just plain doug wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I'm real good at car roof surfin', so that would be the natural progression. Hmm, there's no crazy pumkin'. :twisted:

Never done that, but I have sat upon the car hood, in dense fog, shouting directions to the driver.

Back in the 70's when you could still do it we drove out on Huntington Pier at 5 am in a dense fog to check the surf (dead of winter freezing cold) as we were backing out a cop pulled up behind us gave us a rashin of shit searched the car the typical long hair treatment. He let us go and we ended up at Salt Creek by sun up for a great surf session, but we froze are ass's off hiking back up the hill to the car, we almost could not open the door our hands were so numb, bought booties on the way home... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:50 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Done that too. One time on our coastal HWY 1 in Big Sur, the fog rolled in so thick I had to yell at the driver when he got too close to the side. That's back when there was no little white stripe to signal the end of pavement on our right. He looked down out the drivers side at the middle line and I sat on the rt. front hood with a flash light pointed almost straight down watching The Edge of the road There where a couple a times I screamed like a wild man, when all of a sudden I could see below the fog and down to the ocean below. Yikes! LEFT! LEFT! That'll open up your arteries! The last 1/2 mile back to camp I just walked in front of the car and he followed my light, it was too foggy and dangerous any other way.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:25 pm 

It's Cal Worthington and his dog Spot:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:12 pm 

While driving to site this morning I was listening to KFI Talk Radio and the announcer replayed a interviewed he did with Cal a couple of years ago. Very interesting old Cal was fresh and his memory appeared spot on, he was a WWII bomber pilot with 15 missions in the European theater, he was still flying and he piloted his own jet.

He started flipping cars and did so well he decided to buy car lots, he purchased one for a dollar. Another car dealer would appear on his comercials with his dog and Cal got the idea to appear with his "dog spot" which was always some sort of unexpected animal or something else hilarous.

He is definately a piece of Pop Culture and one of the lasting LA icons... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:23 pm 

Plook wrote:
While driving to site this morning I was listening to KFI Talk Radio and the announcer replayed a interviewed he did with Cal a couple of years ago. Very interesting old Cal was fresh and his memory appeared spot on, he was a WWII bomber pilot with 15 missions in the European theater, he was still flying and he piloted his own jet.

He started flipping cars and did so well he decided to buy car lots, he purchased one for a dollar. Another car dealer would appear on his comercials with his dog and Cal got the idea to appear with his "dog spot" which was always some sort of unexpected animal or something else hilarous.

He is definately a piece of Pop Culture and one of the lasting LA icons...

Your right on there Plook, he was so Andy Warholish that Andy missed him. Out here at least, Cal Worthington is as recognizable a name as Campbell's Soup or like Yahoo soft drinks on the east coast. A lot of kids owe there being here to late night shows with MMM Carpets ads and The Old Sourdough with Watchakanooka and good ol' Cal Worthington & his dog spot! I remember turning the sound down because the commercials are louder than the program is and you couldn't talk over it without wakin' up the parents. Anyone's parents! (Y'all remember those old people that went to work when we had summer break?...) I swear Cal's dog Spot looked like a giraffe one time. Cal fed it some thorny sticks and you should of seen the look on his face when that long tongue came out! Priceless! They didn't show that one much after the first time I saw it. It was very embarrassingly funny! That tongue is so rough it nearly took Cal's face off. Anyone else see that one, it's hilarious!? I always liked the animals that knocked his hat off too! Airplane banner>-----------Y'all come on down!---BUY-CAL! :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:46 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I'm real good at car roof surfin' ...

didja ever bumper-hop ¿

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:50 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

didja ever bumper-hop ¿

Is that like from running board to running board, Bugsy/Al Capone style, guns up kneelin'? Or when you need traction? :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm 

http://news.yahoo.com/ray-dolby-founder-dolby-laboratories-dies-225034355.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:52 pm 

rajhoul wrote:

Did he go quietly?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:41 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

didja ever bumper-hop ¿

No. Did alot of really crazy (or, stupid, if you prefer) stunts in, or with, moving vehicles, but I somehow missed that one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:43 pm 

Ray Dolby, age 80...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:56 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Ray Dolby, age 80...

He was car surfin' 'n the buff! :wink: 8)

To soon?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

I see what you did there....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:47 am 

In "This Is Spinal Tap" he was represented :wink: in Doubly.

I signed on the line for seven long years.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 pm 

AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

I see what you did there....

I just couldn't resist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:14 am 

That one mayor of Eindhoven who forbade Rockbitch from performing here. Put him down deep, please.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:18 pm 

This one passed me by

Kongar-ol Ondar, master of Tuvan throat singing, dies at 51

Kongar-ol Ondar brought the extraordinary singing style of nomadic herders out of Central Asia and into the West, where he rode in the Rose Parade, and performed with Willie Nelson, Frank Zappa and other admiring musicians.
August 10, 2013|By Elaine Woo

What do Richard Feynman, Willie Nelson, Frank Zappa and Boris Yeltsin have in common?
The answer was embodied in a radiant, round-faced Siberian singer named Kongar-ol Ondar, whose voice was unlike any in the western world.
Ondar was a master of throat singing, a vocal style native to his small Russian republic of Tuva. He mesmerized audiences with his ability to produce two or more notes simultaneously—a low, steady drone overlaid with higher pitched tones that to the unaccustomed ear sounded like a radio gone haywire.
His talent was so extraordinary that when he sang for Yeltsin in 1994 the Russian leader peered into his mouth to see if a hidden device was making the astonishing sounds.
The maestro's fame spread to the West, where he recorded Tuvan music with Zappa and Nelson. They likely never would have heard of Ondar if not for Feynman, the legendary Nobel Prize-winning physicist whose obsession with faraway Tuva set off the chain of events that helped make Ondar a world music star.
Ondar died July 25 in a hospital in the Tuvan capital of Kyzyl after surgery for a brain hemorrhage, said his friend, Sean Quirk. He was 51.
Ondar appeared in three Rose Parades in Pasadena, performed at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville and the Kennedy Center in Washington, collaborated with Ry Cooder and the Kronos Quartet, and was a guest on "Late Show with David Letterman."
He also was featured in "Genghis Blues," a 1999 Oscar-nominated documentary by brothers Adrian and Roko Belic that traced his friendship with a blind African American blues artist and self-taught throat singer named Paul Pena.
"People had the bizarre sense that they understood everything Kongar-ol was saying even though he was not singing in English," Roko Belic said last week. "He could communicate in expression and song and touch people in a very deep way."
Ondar was a national icon in his homeland, where he started a throat-singing academy and was a member of Parliament. The "Liberace of Tuvan music," as Dartmouth College ethnomusicologist Theodore Levin once called him, he played a major role in popularizing the Central Asian vocal art in the West. "More than any other Tuvan," Levin wrote in 2006, "Ondar has emplanted throat-singing in the sphere of American popular culture."
Throat singing developed among the nomadic herders of Central Asia whose close relationship with nature led them to musically mimic sounds like the rush of a river or the wind whistling over the steppes.
It is accomplished by a deft manipulation of the vocal cords and the structures of the mouth, including the lips, tongue and jaw, to isolate the different pitches that everyone produces but few can discern, and then, like a human bagpipe, combine them harmonically. The unusual approach was virtually unknown in the West before the late 1980s.
Born in 1962 in the western Tuva village of Iyme, Ondar was exposed to throat singing by listening to village elders as a boy. "He spent many evenings in the camps of nomadic herders. They would drink a little alcohol and then the old guys would start to sing," Belic said. "It captivated him."
He started throat singing as a teenager but encountered many obstacles before he could make it his profession.
He never knew his father and was often beaten by his stepfather. In the 1980s he was twice thrown into prison, the first time for fighting and the second for a stabbing. In a 2012 interview for the website Tuva Online, he described brutal conditions, including being ordered by guards to pour 30 buckets of water on the freezing prison floor during the extreme Siberian winter and then wipe the floor dry. He had no shoes and caught pneumonia.
He said in the interview that he was unfairly blamed in both crimes, the second of which caused him to serve a term of more than four years.
While incarcerated, he continued to practice singing. After his release he devoted himself to music and in 1992 won an international throat-singing contest, which brought invitations to perform in Europe and the United States.
His American connection was Ralph Leighton, who had schemed for years with his friend Feynman to travel to Tuva, an independent country until it was absorbed by the Soviet Union in 1944. Feynman's fascination with all things Tuvan had begun with the exotic Tuvan postage stamps that caught his eye as a boy. In 1977 he and Leighton launched a decade-long quest to visit Tuva, a difficult proposition in the Soviet era.
Feynman died of cancer in 1988 shortly before the official letter of invitation from Tuvan cultural officials arrived, but Leighton made the trip and chronicled the adventure in a book, "Tuva or Bust!: Richard Feynman's Last Journey" (2000). He met Ondar on his second trip, in 1991, and two years later arranged for the singer to perform in the 1993 Rose Parade.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:39 am 

JIMI HENDRIX ; oh yea it was 1970 :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:54 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
JIMI HENDRIX ; oh yea it was 1970 :cry:

Thanks for the reminder Bravo. I'll be playing Jimi all day today.

I signed on the line for seven long years.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:39 pm 

Glenn Leonard - shown here with Andre and Dr. Dot - has died of a heart attack. Many of you knew him as a drummer for a number of Zappa tribute bands, including Project/Object.

He was 53.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:46 am 

Wow, thats too bad. I thought he had a good feel for the material. He was no Vinnie, but I always enjoyed his playing. I'll have to spin a St. Patrick's Day 2003 show in which he dances a jig...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 181  Next