Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Radio Is Broken.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:32 pm 

Listening to TMFU, a better album than I originally thought, SEX isn't actually that bad, a bit dull but not worth worrying about. Some great stuff on the album especially Tink Walks Amok and the amazing We Are Not Alone.

But seriously I DON'T GET The Radio Is Broken. It's a bit boring and goes nowhere, I never really liked it when Frank put that voice on, it's okay if it is a little bit in a song but not the whole way through.

What is the point of the song? Why is it sung like that? Why is everyone in the band doing nothing at all? And why did he put it on the album?

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

Post subject: Re: The Radio Is Broken.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:45 pm 

Probly cause it's soooo fuckinn stoopid.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:13 am 

If that is the case then damn what a miss that was. Duke of Prunes is stupid but fun and musically interesting. This is stoooopid and boring. And Frank's music even when I don't like it is never boring.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:34 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
And why did he put it on the album?

Because he liked it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:06 am 

i really like that one, an album highlight.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:23 am 

Trivia dept.: Fall 80 rehearsal tapes include versions of this song with the same lyrics, but entirely different (and, I think, better) music.

The lyrics were also in the fall 1980 tour book with the title "Willing Suspension Of Disbelief."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:54 am 

This is in my top 3 or 4 worst Zappa songs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:33 pm 

see also: Lost in translation.

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:57 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:
And why did he put it on the album?

Because he liked it.

I think of it as like a conceptual continuity to Cheepnis,growing up at that age Sci fi TV was cheaper than ever,plus the song Video killed the Radio star 1979 had a video 81,or maybe the birth of video.
1979 Sony Betamax Commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2v_qEVTh10

Sticking with the times that's why :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:05 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
Listening to TMFU, a better album than I originally thought, SEX isn't actually that bad, a bit dull but not worth worrying about. Some great stuff on the album especially Tink Walks Amok and the amazing We Are Not Alone.

But seriously I DON'T GET The Radio Is Broken. It's a bit boring and goes nowhere, I never really liked it when Frank put that voice on, it's okay if it is a little bit in a song but not the whole way through.

What is the point of the song? Why is it sung like that? Why is everyone in the band doing nothing at all? And why did he put it on the album?
The radio is broken is for me a proof that Frank really dont care and he celebrate his freedom like he did in dangerous kitchen. He knows he is the top composer of his time so why not messing around lol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:38 pm 

Question: What do you do when you've got a 1 million dollar recording studio in your basement, and a bunch talented musicians lying around ?*

Answer : Whatever the fuck you want !

*you could also add that you've got your own record label, and a distribution contract made of carbon steel !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:11 am 

I like it, all the name checks etc....

Where they said it begined. The germs from space! The negative-virus knit-wear the blobulent suit. That's right! the blobulent suit it's made of rubber its very ugly.....hahahahha

Its a continuation of the monster movie cheepnis theme except now where in outer space....and Franks gets to say: We have to fall in love, on Uranus! :mrgreen:

Thats right Uh-oh hahahahaha

should we take ourselves seriously...I don't think so

Plus they sound like their having a great time :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:20 am 

Oh I understand where the concept comes from and I remember an interview where he talked about recording it. But I barely understood the lyrics due to the voice he puts on and what is going on the background. Either way I'm listening to TMFU again today and will revisit this song a few times.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:40 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
Oh I understand where the concept comes from and I remember an interview where he talked about recording it. But I barely understood the lyrics due to the voice he puts on and what is going on the background. Either way I'm listening to TMFU again today and will revisit this song a few times.

Yeah, like a number of FZ's songs definitely an acquired taste, it helps to read some of the books, like Greg Russo's Cosmik Debris, they provide a little insight into the conceptual continuity, and inside jokes etc...or google the lyrics and then the names within the lyrics and so on and so forth..you'll love it, its a way of life...Mind you as a newly wed, FZ as a hobby could destroy your marrage... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:01 am 

Oh my wife knows I have an obsessive personality and that Frank comes number one. ;)
But she likes Zappa, not super into it but tolerates it and sings along to a few songs, she likes Absolutely Free, CWRATJ, ONS, SY & YAWYI.

Yeah I might get a bunch of books for Christmas and that is one of the ones I have been looking at.
I'll dive deeper into the conceptual continuity business later, I know what he was getting into and lots of songs have references to eachother and stuff. And of course stuff like Muffin Man and Little Green Rosetta are directly linked.

Any other songs like this of his out there? Not just off of TMFU but other albums.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:44 pm 

I love it because the voices are modified in such supremely silly ways. No one's ever had voices sound like that before (and no one would probably want to!). I also am old enough to have grown up with most of those actors whose names he tosses out there. Richard Basehart! Jackie Coogan!

And seriously folks, who could resist a song lyrics like THE BLOBULENT SUIT!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm 

One of the album highlights for me. The concept and lyrics are spot on for the genre of old B Sci Fi movies, and always make me laugh from beginning to end. I've seen enough of those movies in my day (especially as a kid) to appreciate the humor.

And yes NP, Tink Walks Amok and We Are Not Alone are amazing.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:10 pm 

One of my favorite songs from this album. I actually like all of them except Luigi.

Post subject: re: the radio is broken
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:53 pm 

a lot going on in this excellent track, zappa's voice takes a wide deviation to his normal trademark detached insinuating deadpan resonant baritone with it's surreal/ironic delivery; each line is 'announced' rather than spoken, the classic hyper-active shill trying to sell you something - zappa was into advertising at some point

a few more clues ¿

• radio: the porthole where you see the earth for the first time the corrugated fiberglass interior walls
  • excentrifugal forz: the clouds are really cheap the way i seen 'em thru the ports

• radio: lisa kranston
  • excentrifugal forz: korla plankton

• her father invented the secret fuel [zappa's father invented a few secret weapons ¿ ]
  • the partially reclining [excentrifugal] g-force lawn furniture [from the the rich people's lawn]
  • the stunt guitar fills during the my sharona bass line; sounds like a stravinsky quote or at least phrasing ¿
  • you spilled your coke, you're stepping on the popcorn [with her hand in the box, when she's on her knees]

to top it all off ... uncle fester Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:48 pm 

I need to listen to it again. You guys really sell it well, can't wait to really listen to it.

What's wrong with Luigi?

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:37 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
What's wrong with Luigi?

Nothing, if ya ask me; that was the first song on the album that ever grabbed me, and still gets me cracking up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:55 pm 

The point about Luigi is that Zappa was a composer and this was an experiment in A Capella combined with the fact that he liked Doo Wop. If you don't like either one or both of those, well, big deal. The mind is like a parachute ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:17 pm 

brainpang wrote:
i really like that one, an album highlight.
Star Thrower wrote:
This is in my top 3 or 4 worst Zappa songs.
:lol:
NuclearProstate wrote:
Why is everyone in the band doing nothing at all?
There is no singing througout the whole song, when u listen to the bits where Frank aint singing, the musicians surelely do much more than nothing! Utopia was one of the first albums i learned to know when i went into Zappa way back when. I listened to it as they say u should listen to a John and Yoko album (only every 2nd song). Radio and Jazz discharge party hats i hated the most. I guess it was also this strange kind of singing that disturbed me. It helped me a lot to concentrate onto the parts without singing. This was a basic strategy in those times. There was stuff on FZ albums that made me want to run away but otherwise there were songs or sometimes just few moments in one song that blew me away. Other people would throw Zappa away cause of the strange stuff. I became curious cause of the good stuff in between the more weird stuff and asked: Why does a person (who otherwise amazes me) this strange music? I am still working on it.
BTW: cheepnis refers to a specific movie, does radio also?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:42 pm 

i think that shiek your booty is a seriously underestimated album. i mean, rubber shirt!! a classic example of Zappa's 'xenochrony', the technique of gluing two completely unrelated tracks together, in this case just bass and drums. if memory serves me right it's also the last, certainly studio album, in which terry bozzio played. the radio is broken is simply hilarious, it's just so zappa. the residual echo...........
and the last track on the album, 'yo mamma' frank pulls out a blindingly epic guitar solo :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:13 pm 

Love it. Listen to it a lot.