Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:18 pm 

brainpang wrote:
db. sorry, but you cannot discount my views. otherwise i will be forced to discount yours on what is considered experimental / progressive / innovative, etc. which you may not have any clue.

sorry, you lose again.

please go back to figuring out tax rates.

Of course I can and already have discounted your views. Whether or not you like U2 is too subjective. However, this conversation is primarily about their music, stylistically speaking. And I've been listening to U2 for 21 years and know almost every album up until Pop (1997) frontwards and backwards. You, on the other hand, have heard a handful of songs and probably only a couple of times. Yet you refuse to answer my questions despite maintaining you're open-minded, but you STILL think U2 is strictly a pop band. They aren't. So, who's the loser again?

Please engage in research before posting such nonsense. :roll:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:57 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

I didn't know what's his name had a "Zappa" goin' on. Does he keep it that way all the time? :o
Nice picture either way. I love the Grand Wazoo out of it! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:02 am 

Questions? Do you mean the ones I didn't answer to your satisfaction?
“Strictly?” You are the only one carrying a switch here.
LASTLY, to recap: Whereas you think they have somehow changed, embraced pop and become sell outs, I say they’ve always been the same, MINOR stylistic differences be damned. Which can be commendable and attests to their longevity, I guess. There is NO great innovation or astounding evolution. I don’t recognize it. And in hindsight, I think many see things that way now. People uhhhhhh less emotionally involved than you, whose hero’s have upset him with an imaginary slight.
ATOMIC BOMB isn’t all that far away from ACHTUNG BABY, baby. We are not talking Lumpy Gravy to Waka/Jawaka to Sheik Yerbouti here. Or better yet Here Come The Warm Jets to Music For Airports.
Oh, it’s more subtle than that? Do you mean SAFE? As in THAT mega $ studio SOUND?
I will give you the last word, because I never want to think about u2 again.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:58 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
I've been listening to U2 for 21 years

That explains a lot.

****MYDNYTE MUSIC REVIEW****
U2 - Zooropa (1993)

It's a little eerie. At the beginning of the title track from U2's Zooropa it sounds like there are subliminal voices telling you to worship U2. It's unsettling. As the track kicks in, the producer, Flood, gets the guitar echo dialed in good and Bono sings some uniquely terrible lyrics. Eat to get slimmer...a bluer kind of white. Sounds a little like Bill Nelson on a bad day.
Babyface- Babyface, babyface / Slow down child, let me untie your lace. Hmmm. Kinda creepy. A dull vocal melody and sluggish backing track brings the album to a complete halt.
Numb - Exactly how I felt when listening to this track. Lyrics by The Edge.
Lemon - Yep. Pretty much.
Stay - Pink Floyd has a song called Stay. It is not very good but it is better than this. I believe David Gilmour used a wah peddle on that track if you can believe it.
Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car - Why not use the same drum sample that has already been used a hundred times before in the previous decade? U2's sources are the clones of the clones of the true source.
Some Days Are Better Than Others - The beginning of this track sounds like it could be a really cool song. Then Bono starts to sing.
First Time - Flood and The Edge. You know what that means? You're gonna drown. Ambient piano ballad or filler? You decide. Synthetic sounding strings at climax are helpful. Bono's high notes sound like a cop siren pulling you over. The bass line is a cop out. The bass player obviously phoned it in.

U2 could not pull this material off live. That tells you something about how much they relied on production. The Pepper era Beatles also relied heavily on production. Bono thought this was going to be U2's Sgt Pepper. Well, the Beach Boys pulled off Good Vibrations live in 1967. U2 is just lazy. I don't care what you call it -pop, rock, experimental jet-set, trash, whatever label you put on it it's still highly perishable. I found it to be insincere sounding and inferior to all it's sources. A waste of time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:09 pm 

I found the above review amusing and accurate, but the crucial part IMO is...

downer mydnyte wrote:
and inferior to all it's sources.

That kind of sums it up for me. It also underlines what I think Zappa was trying to say in his U2/Chieftains comparison.
I think it's the same reason why he didn't like Elvis...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:31 pm 

brainpang wrote:
Questions? Do you mean the ones I didn't answer to your satisfaction?

No. The ones you're conveniently ignoring.

brainpang wrote:
“Strictly?” You are the only one carrying a switch here.

But that's what you've been basically stating throughout this thread. You never said they strayed from "pop."

brainpang wrote:
LASTLY, to recap: Whereas you think they have somehow changed, embraced pop and become sell outs, I say they’ve always been the same, MINOR stylistic differences be damned. Which can be commendable and attests to their longevity, I guess. There is NO great innovation or astounding evolution. I don’t recognize it. And in hindsight, I think many see things that way now. People uhhhhhh less emotionally involved than you, whose hero’s have upset him with an imaginary slight.
ATOMIC BOMB isn’t all that far away from ACHTUNG BABY, baby. We are not talking Lumpy Gravy to Waka/Jawaka to Sheik Yerbouti here. Or better yet Here Come The Warm Jets to Music For Airports.
Oh, it’s more subtle than that? Do you mean SAFE? As in THAT mega $ studio SOUND?
I will give you the last word, because I never want to think about u2 again.

Always been the same? MINOR stylistic differences? HTDAAB isn't all that far away from AB? No great innovation or astounding evolution? SAFE?

You're either a) joking b) need to clean out your ears or c) a complete idiot.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
I've been listening to U2 for 21 years

That explains a lot.

It explains I know what I'm talking about.

downer mydnyte wrote:
****MYDNYTE MUSIC REVIEW****
U2 - Zooropa (1993)

It's a little eerie. At the beginning of the title track from U2's Zooropa it sounds like there are subliminal voices telling you to worship U2. It's unsettling. As the track kicks in, the producer, Flood, gets the guitar echo dialed in good and Bono sings some uniquely terrible lyrics.

You mean The Edge gets his extremely unique guitar effects dialled-in.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car - Why not use the same drum sample that has already been used a hundred times before in the previous decade? U2's sources are the clones of the clones of the true source.

Not the case. In fact, that's one of the most unique snare sounds ever heard. Not only that but there are actual poly-rhythmic drums being played along with the sample.

downer mydnyte wrote:
U2 could not pull this material off live. That tells you something about how much they relied on production.

Then why did they play several songs from this album live?

downer mydnyte wrote:
Bono thought this was going to be U2's Sgt Pepper.

Where did he say that?

downer mydnyte wrote:
I don't care what you call it -pop, rock, experimental jet-set, trash, whatever label you put on it it's still highly perishable. I found it to be insincere sounding and inferior to all it's sources. A waste of time.

But my point has NOTHING to do with whether or not you like U2's music. It has to do with the FACT they evolved over time. Whereas, you said they didn't. Get it?

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:53 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

Not the case. In fact, that's one of the most unique snare sounds ever heard. Not only that but there are actual poly-rhythmic drums being played along with the sample.

Who are you trying to kid? Nothing got by me when I listened to this album. The snare sound may be unique but the main drum beat was long rubbed into the ground by the time Flood put his little effect on the snare. This demonstrates my point perfectly. It's all about some producer tweaking a knob. Not about the performance of U2. Yeah I heard the polyrhythmic shit. Figured it was a drum machine Flood programmed.

Disco Boy wrote:

I suspect he had some guidance.
Disco Boy wrote:

I don't know. Bad judgement, I guess. They didn't pull it off. They dropped most of that material didn't they?

Disco Boy wrote:
Where did he say that?

I saw it on the interwebs, of course. Check the always reliable Wikipedia.

Disco Boy wrote:
It has to do with the FACT they evolved over time. Whereas, you said they didn't. Get it?

The FACT is that Bono and the Edge have not evolved musically, their producers have evolved. Bono's vocals are interchangeable. Don't make me have to do a giant remix for you where I drop 10 different Bono vocals into 10 different edge riffs from 10 different albums because I'd hate to have to do it. For 30+ years- only the production changes. The 4 members of U2 stay the same.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:07 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

Who are you trying to kid? Nothing got by me when I listened to this album. The snare sound may be unique but the main drum beat was long rubbed into the ground by the time Flood put his little effect on the snare. This demonstrates my point perfectly. It's all about some producer tweaking a knob. Not about the performance of U2. Yeah I heard the polyrhythmic shit. Figured it was a drum machine Flood programmed.

No, who are you trying to kid? EVERYTHING got by you. The producers on this album weren't just Brian Eno and Flood. The Edge was one too. And Larry Mullen Jnr.'s poly-rhythmic drum lines were NOT programmed.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

You suspect a SHITLOAD of things that just aren't true.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

I don't know. Bad judgement, I guess. They didn't pull it off. They dropped most of that material didn't they?

Of course you don't know. Just like you don't know SHIT about their musical evolution.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Where did he say that?

Provide a quote.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
It has to do with the FACT they evolved over time. Whereas, you said they didn't. Get it?

The FACT is that Bono and the Edge have not evolved musically, their producers have evolved. Bono's vocals are interchangeable. Don't make me have to do a giant remix for you where I drop 10 different Bono vocals into 10 different edge riffs from 10 different albums because I'd hate to have to do it. For 30+ years- only the production changes. The 4 members of U2 stay the same.

No, the only FACT here, is that you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about. EVERY U2 album from the beginning through the late 90s does NOT sound the same and they were CONSTANTLY evolving, as U2 were involved in the production...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:27 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

No, who are you trying to kid? EVERYTHING got by you. The producers on this album weren't just Brian Eno and Flood. The Edge was one too. And Larry Mullen Jnr.'s poly-rhythmic drum lines were NOT programmed.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

You suspect a SHITLOAD of things that just aren't true.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Of course you don't know. Just like you don't know SHIT about their musical evolution.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Where did he say that?

Provide a quote.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

No, the only FACT here, is that you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about. EVERY U2 album from the beginning through the late 90s does NOT sound the same and they were CONSTANTLY evolving, as U2 were involved in the production...

I read all of the credits twice. I was aware The Edge got a production credit. I said I FIGURED the drums were programmed. If Larry Mullen played them it doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference. I'm glad he did something because those drums are the best part of the song. The song still sucks. It's exhausting trying to converse with you. I almost typed "figured" in capital letters the first time because I knew you would say just what you said if it was Larry Mullens doing the drumming. I know what you're going to say as I type and it gets exhausting trying to word it perfectly. Like when I said they "didn't pull it off" you turned that into "they didn't play it".

Disco Boy wrote:
you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about

I stand by every word I said in the previous post.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Bono thought it was their Sgt Pepper.

Disco Boy wrote:
Provide a quote.

This is from the Zooropa page on wiki...It's perfect. Bono even says "pop discipline" and "pop songs"!" hahaha. Scroll to the Legacy section...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zooropa
Bono said, "I thought of Zooropa at the time as a work of genius. I really thought our pop discipline was matching our experimentation and this was our Sgt. Pepper. I was a little wrong about that. The truth is our pop disciplines were letting us down. We didn't create hits. We didn't quite deliver the songs. And what would Sgt. Pepper be without the pop songs?"

I will have pity on you and let it go now.
Later

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:25 am 

Excellent research, downer. I don't watch a movie for special effects. What use is technology if the storytelling blows? It's just there to obscure the fact that there is nothing much there. And so I don't recognize it as of any importance. Idiot-proof (?) analogy of the day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:59 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

I read all of the credits twice. I was aware The Edge got a production credit. I said I FIGURED the drums were programmed.

What crock of shit. You said NOTHING about ANY member of U2 producing Zooropa. You strictly credited the production of the album to Eno and Flood.

downer mydnyte wrote:
If Larry Mullen played them it doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference. I'm glad he did something because those drums are the best part of the song. The song still sucks. It's exhausting trying to converse with you. I almost typed "figured" in capital letters the first time because I knew you would say just what you said if it was Larry Mullens doing the drumming. I know what you're going to say as I type and it gets exhausting trying to word it perfectly. Like when I said they "didn't pull it off" you turned that into "they didn't play it".

Wtf is Larry Mullens? And "didn't pull it off" can be construed as "they didn't play it." But of course, you wouldn't know either way.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about

I stand by every word I said in the previous post.

And you STILL don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Bono thought it was their Sgt Pepper.

Disco Boy wrote:
Provide a quote.

downer mydnyte wrote:
This is from the Zooropa page on wiki...It's perfect. Bono even says "pop discipline" and "pop songs"!" hahaha. Scroll to the Legacy section...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zooropa
Bono said, "I thought of Zooropa at the time as a work of genius. I really thought our pop discipline was matching our experimentation and this was our Sgt. Pepper. I was a little wrong about that. The truth is our pop disciplines were letting us down. We didn't create hits. We didn't quite deliver the songs. And what would Sgt. Pepper be without the pop songs?"

I will have pity on you and let it go now.
Later

Here is the FULL legacy section from the above link you conveniently forgot to include:

Zooropa is certified 2× Platinum in the US by the Recording Industry Association of America, 3× Platinum in Australia, Platinum in the UK, and 4× Platinum in both New Zealand and Canada. To date, it has sold more than 7 million copies.

After the release of record, David Bowie praised the band, writing, "[U2] might be all shamrocks and deutsche marks to some, but I feel that they are one of the few rock bands even attempting to hint at a world which will continue past the next great wall—the year 2000." Although the record was a success, in the years following its release, the group have regarded it with mixed feelings and rarely play its material in live performances. Bono said, "I thought of Zooropa at the time as a work of genius. I really thought our pop discipline was matching our experimentation and this was our Sgt. Pepper. I was a little wrong about that. The truth is our pop disciplines were letting us down. We didn't create hits. We didn't quite deliver the songs. And what would Sgt. Pepper be without the pop songs?" The Edge said that he did not think the songs were "potent", further stating, "I never thought of Zooropa as anything more than an interlude... but a great one, as interludes go. By far our most interesting." Clayton said, "It's an odd record and a favourite of mine."

Neil McCormick wrote about Zooropa, "It feels like a minor work, and generally U2 don't do minor. But if you're not going to make the Big Statement, you're maybe going to come up with something that has the oxygen of pop music." In 1997, Spin wrote, "Zooropa took U2 as far from the monastic mysticism of The Joshua Tree as they could go. It freed U2 from itself." Edna Gundersen of USA Today said in 2002, "the alien territory of Achtung Baby and Zooropa cemented U2's relevance and enhanced its cachet as intrepid explorers". In 2011, Rolling Stone ranked the record at number 61 on its list of "100 Best Albums of the Nineties".

"The songs are not classics but they are more experimental and interesting than classic pop songs. This is something we don't necessarily care to do anymore. We don't go down the road with a piece of music just because it's unusual. That's not enough for us now. We want something that's potent and some of these songs are not particularly potent."
—The Edge

brainpang wrote:
Excellent research, downer.

How can it be excellent since he left out almost all of the quotes?

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:30 am 

irrelevant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:59 am 

I love when Disco Dingo goes to the big letters. It gets me so excited.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:18 am 

Hey, PJ I can do the big letters thing too. In bold print are the reasons why I think (and everybody has to agree with me) that U2 are crap. Forget the small print.

Zooropa is certified 2× Platinum in the US by the Recording Industry Association of America, 3× Platinum in Australia, Platinum in the UK, and 4× Platinum in both New Zealand and Canada. To date, it has sold more than 7 million copies.
After the release of record, David Bowie praised the band, writing, "[U2] might be all shamrocks and deutsche marks to some, but I feel that they are one of the few rock bands even attempting to hint at a world which will continue past the next great wall—the year 2000." Although the record was a success, in the years following its release, the group have regarded it with mixed feelings and rarely play its material in live performances. Bono said, "I thought of Zooropa at the time as a work of genius. I really thought our pop discipline was matching our experimentation and this was our Sgt. Pepper. I was a little wrong about that. The truth is our pop disciplines were letting us down. We didn't create hits. We didn't quite deliver the songs. And what would Sgt. Pepper be without the pop songs?" The Edge said that he did not think the songs were "potent", further stating, "I never thought of Zooropa as anything more than an interlude... but a great one, as interludes go. By far our most interesting."Clayton said, "It's an odd record and a favourite of mine."
Neil McCormick wrote about Zooropa, "It feels like a minor work, and generally U2 don't do minor. But if you're not going to make the Big Statement, you're maybe going to come up with something that has the oxygen of pop music." In 1997, Spin wrote, "Zooropa took U2 as far from the monastic mysticism of The Joshua Tree as they could go. It freed U2 from itself." Edna Gundersen of USA Today said in 2002, "the alien territory of Achtung Baby and Zooropa cemented U2's relevance and enhanced its cachet as intrepid explorers". In 2011, Rolling Stone ranked the record at number 61 on its list of "100 Best Albums of the Nineties"

"The songs are not classics but they are more experimental and interesting than classic pop songs. This is something we don't necessarily care to do anymore. We don't go down the road with a piece of music just because it's unusual. That's not enough for us now. We want something that's potent and some of these songs are not particularly potent."
—The Edge

Did I get you hot?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:21 pm 

db should be forced to get "Pop Discipline" tattooed across his forehead.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:32 pm 

brainpang wrote:

Did you mean Pop Disciple? Either way works on a pretend tat though. D'oh! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:20 pm 

Damn, I had to change my diaper twice! Almost had a heart attack. Lighten up, Caputh, please.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:33 pm 

brainpang wrote:
irrelevant

Pope Jim wrote:
I love when Disco Dingo goes to the big letters. It gets me so excited.

brainpang wrote:

You hear that...?

That's the sound of...

EXTREME FAILURE...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:50 pm 

poop jim wrote:
Damn, I had to change my diaper twice! Almost had a heart attack. Lighten up, Caputh, please.
poop jim needs poop discipline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:49 pm 

ahhhhahahhahaaa this thread is a lot of laughs!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:50 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
But as I've already stated, U2 hasn't really been a "pop" group until recently.

Disco Boy wrote:
U2 wasn't really a "pop" group.

Disco Boy wrote:
U2 never really made music that was considered "pop" until 2000.

Quote:
Bono:
"I thought of Zooropa at the time as a work of genius. I really thought our pop discipline was matching our experimentation and this was our Sgt. Pepper. I was a little wrong about that. The truth is our pop disciplines were letting us down. We didn't create hits. We didn't quite deliver the songs. And what would Sgt. Pepper be without the pop songs?"

I'm not sure who to believe here. Disco Boy or Bono?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:36 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
But as I've already stated, U2 hasn't really been a "pop" group until recently.

Disco Boy wrote:
U2 wasn't really a "pop" group.

Disco Boy wrote:
U2 never really made music that was considered "pop" until 2000.

Quote:
Bono:
"I thought of Zooropa at the time as a work of genius. I really thought our pop discipline was matching our experimentation and this was our Sgt. Pepper. I was a little wrong about that. The truth is our pop disciplines were letting us down. We didn't create hits. We didn't quite deliver the songs. And what would Sgt. Pepper be without the pop songs?"

I'm not sure who to laugh at more, you or the other two? Tell me where Bono said U2 strictly made pop music during this period? And tell me how Bono stating U2 has a "pop discipline" has to do with strictly writing pop songs?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:17 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:

When in doubt, Disco Boy - he knows much more about U2 than Bono does.

Last edited by Caputh on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:16 am 

Caputh wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

When in doubt, Disco Boy - he knows much more about U2 than Bono does.

And no doubt he knows the names of the streets with no names

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:27 am 

fuck it, I'm gonna gloat. normally that's not my thing, but db is just plain nasty.

to reverse one of his standard defenses: His SHIT is BACKED UP up to his goddamn eyeballs.

WHEN your fatty LOL girl coughs back up your genitals (and we all KNOW you should be so lucky) I will allow you to kneel before me and kiss my ring.

But hey, all poop aside, u2 really ought to be commended for a long, productive career. Their pop sensibility has carried them through from the first album unto the last. Cheers, Bono. Please send me some cash.

edit: note db's weak STRICTLY defense, one he invented. A whore is a whore is a whore.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next