Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4372
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
I was thinking of changing the name of this thread to "U2 can insult people".
Would anybody mind?

_________________
"Secluded from mankind by his exalted dignity, the truth is concealed from his knowledge; he can see only with their eyes, he hears nothing but their misrepresentations."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 2719
Location: Between the Badges
I'm sorry Caputh, but no. While it is an excellent play-on-words, it is ultimately not true. Bono could never willfully insult someone or even people-in-general. He could do it by accident, maybe by thinking he is a prophet saving the world, but not on purpose. So it would likely be more accurate to say "U2 Cannot Insult People", but that's just a lame name.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:35 am
Posts: 333
Caputh wrote:
I was thinking of changing the name of this thread to "U2 can insult people".
Would anybody mind?


"Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mh8T6MZQm8


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4372
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I'm sorry Caputh, but no. While it is an excellent play-on-words, it is ultimately not true. Bono could never willfully insult someone or even people-in-general. He could do it by accident, maybe by thinking he is a prophet saving the world, but not on purpose. So it would likely be more accurate to say "U2 Cannot Insult People", but that's just a lame name.


You're probably right, Arkay. I toyed with the idea of changing it to "You, too, can insult people", however, I'm so incompetent with forum techno-crap that I can't even work out how to change the name of a subject (or even if I can). Although Isaac seems to have done it at least once.

tiboudre wrote:
"Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mh8T6MZQm8


Is that a positive or a negative "Yeah"?

BTW, did you know that, according to "Harry and Paul", "Bono" backwards is "Onob"?

_________________
"Secluded from mankind by his exalted dignity, the truth is concealed from his knowledge; he can see only with their eyes, he hears nothing but their misrepresentations."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 1745
As the thread creator, or original poster, you should be able to log in, click on the first page of the thread, and backspace through the title to delete it, and type in the new title.

May I suggest "New Adventures in Pointlessness"?

...or has that been taken? Sounds familiar.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 18102
Location: Somewhere in time
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I'm sorry Caputh, but no. While it is an excellent play-on-words, it is ultimately not true. Bono could never willfully insult someone or even people-in-general. He could do it by accident, maybe by thinking he is a prophet saving the world, but not on purpose. So it would likely be more accurate to say "U2 Cannot Insult People", but that's just a lame name.



What a minute didn't Bono have a conniption fit when that guy in South Park beat his world record shit... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 1953
Good one, Plook.


A rope leash wrote:
May I suggest "New Adventures in Pointlessness"?

Laughter is not pointless. This thread is like the Monty Python "room for an argument".....you snotty faced heap of parrot droppings*



*I hope you get the reference and laugh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 1745
Norwegian Blue droppings, no doubt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqz_4OgMi7M


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3309
Location: Vancouver, BC
brainpang wrote:
fuck it, I'm gonna gloat. normally that's not my thing, but db is just plain nasty.

to reverse one of his standard defenses: His SHIT is BACKED UP up to his goddamn eyeballs.

WHEN your fatty LOL girl coughs back up your genitals (and we all KNOW you should be so lucky) I will allow you to kneel before me and kiss my ring.

But hey, all poop aside, u2 really ought to be commended for a long, productive career. Their pop sensibility has carried them through from the first album unto the last. Cheers, Bono. Please send me some cash.

edit: note db's weak STRICTLY defense, one he invented. A whore is a whore is a whore.


Gloat about what? How incorrect you are? It's simply amazing to me that you STILL can't admit you're wrong.

Throughout the parts of this thread that have involved U2, I've ALWAYS maintained that up until 2000, U2 were NOT strictly a pop band. And I've more than provided enough evidence clearly showing that, if not proving it. Yet, you and dm, on the other hand, consistently refuse to answer my questions, ramble on like that's not the case and act like you're correct when you're more than obviously not. Why? I don't know...

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4372
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
A rope leash wrote:
As the thread creator, or original poster, you should be able to log in, click on the first page of the thread, and backspace through the title to delete it, and type in the new title.

May I suggest "New Adventures in Pointlessness"?

...or has that been taken? Sounds familiar.


Ah. Thank you, Rope.

And you're right - this thread is as pointless as most of the threads here, because it will never reach a point. But it amuses me and presumably even Disco Boy as this appears to be the only thread in which he is now posting.

Disco Boy wrote:
I've ALWAYS maintained that up until 2000, U2 were NOT strictly a pop band.


As far as I can remember, DB originally said they weren't a pop band at all.

_________________
"Secluded from mankind by his exalted dignity, the truth is concealed from his knowledge; he can see only with their eyes, he hears nothing but their misrepresentations."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 1953
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 12782
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
downer mydnyte wrote:
Image

"Hey Bono, tell it to the hand will ya."

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3466
Disco Boy wrote:

Gloat about what? How incorrect you are? It's simply amazing to me that you STILL can't admit you're wrong.

Throughout the parts of this thread that have involved U2, I've ALWAYS maintained that up until 2000, U2 were NOT strictly a pop band. And I've more than provided enough evidence clearly showing that, if not proving it. Yet, you and dm, on the other hand, consistently refuse to answer my questions, ramble on like that's not the case and act like you're correct when you're more than obviously not. Why? I don't know...


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:07 am
Posts: 1469
Interesting how this discussion about DB all of a sudden turned into a debate on the merits (or lack thereof) of U2 half-way.

Anyway, I just came across the quote, which perhaps explains why U2 made the change in 2000 that DB was apparently not happy with.

Well, looks like U2 was basically "reapplying for the job of the best band in the world". The "best" I take it means in terms of stadium.

_________________
Lies are like quicksand, soft and comfortable, but they will swallow us. Truth is like bedrock, hard and uncomfortable, but we can always stand on it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3309
Location: Vancouver, BC
downer mydnyte wrote:
Image

brainpang wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Gloat about what? How incorrect you are? It's simply amazing to me that you STILL can't admit you're wrong.

Throughout the parts of this thread that have involved U2, I've ALWAYS maintained that up until 2000, U2 were NOT strictly a pop band. And I've more than provided enough evidence clearly showing that, if not proving it. Yet, you and dm, on the other hand, consistently refuse to answer my questions, ramble on like that's not the case and act like you're correct when you're more than obviously not. Why? I don't know...


Image


Excellent debating skills.

The law firm of Gang Tyre Ramer & Brown Inc. are awaiting your application...

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9513
brainpang wrote:
Image

_________________
Image


Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 1953
There's nothing to debate.

A picture's worth a thousand words
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3309
Location: Vancouver, BC
downer mydnyte wrote:
There's nothing to debate.

A picture's worth a thousand words
Image


Translation:

I desperately need to win something. So I'll just keep posting pics that desperately try to show I'm right, despite the FACT I'm not.

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 1953
Disco Boy wrote:
Translation:

I desperately need to win something. So I'll just keep posting pics that desperately try to show I'm right, despite the FACT I'm not.




Sorry. I can't be your new Spacebrother. I really don't care about any of this outside of the fact that it's fun to shit on U2.

I agree with you. U2 were not pop until 2000*. You win!! Yay!!

Is Bono really a socialist?


*Not strictly pop


_______________________
Debating is for pussies - George S Patton


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9513
Image

_________________
Image


Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 1953
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
Image


Unstated major premise.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4372
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Image

Secret recordings have revealed that there is some substance to DB's claims that Obama is responsible for most of the world's ills. Not content with ruining the economy and being a socialist, he appears to have taken an active interest in destroying the muse of one of the world's greatest artists.

Obama: "You are feeling, sleepy very sleepy, and now your are asleep.

Listen to what I say; Zooropa was a mistake. Get back to writing mainstream pop songs and saving the world.

When you wake up you will forget that this conversation ever happened, but from now on you will write only songs that are, strictly speaking, pop music."

_________________
"Secluded from mankind by his exalted dignity, the truth is concealed from his knowledge; he can see only with their eyes, he hears nothing but their misrepresentations."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5437
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Translation:

I desperately need to win something. So I'll just keep posting pics that desperately try to show I'm right, despite the FACT I'm not.




Sorry. I can't be your new Spacebrother. I really don't care about any of this outside of the fact that it's fun to shit on U2.



He couldn't handle debating me anymore. Being proven wrong on so many accounts wore him out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4372
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Ah, so this picture is a reasoned argument, based on logic and evidence ...

Disco Boy wrote:

Image






...and this picture...

downer mydnyte wrote:
Image


...shows that...
Disco Boy wrote:

[Downer Mydnyte] desperately need[s] to win something. So [he]'ll just keep posting pics that desperately try to show [he's] right, despite the FACT [he is] not.


Truly the ejaculations of a master debater, honing his craft.

_________________
"Secluded from mankind by his exalted dignity, the truth is concealed from his knowledge; he can see only with their eyes, he hears nothing but their misrepresentations."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 12782
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change other peoples minds. ~ Frank Zappa

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group