Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: The Radio Is Broken.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:55 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
One of the album highlights for me. The concept and lyrics are spot on for the genre of old B Sci Fi movies, and always make me laugh from beginning to end. I've seen enough of those movies in my day (especially as a kid) to appreciate the humor.

And yes NP, Tink Walks Amok and We Are Not Alone are amazing.

Jar got it, it is a montage to B-Sci Fi movies and some of the actors...I am sure he refers to Forbidden Planet, When Worlds Collide and others...and yes the Radio was always broken at a critical juncture in these movies... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:04 pm 

why is frank destroying his guitar ¿

no guitar solos on this album ... frank's definition of utopia ¿

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:50 am 

Six sides? Was this meant for Warts and All or something before TMFU was conceived?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:17 pm 

Since making this thread I have listened to the song a few times more and really listened to it. Took your opinions on board and now I really love the song. It's incredibly funny with great musical passages. THE BLOBULENT SUIT.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:40 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
Since making this thread I have listened to the song a few times more and really listened to it. Took your opinions on board and now I really love the song. It's incredibly funny with great musical passages. THE BLOBULENT SUIT.

In that spirit, I've decided to listen to Luigi And The Wise Guys a couple more times. I still think the "wah-wah" is a bit wearing, but the lyrics are great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:14 pm 

I prefer FZ's "meltdown" version of Luigi from one of the fall 80 shows to the doo wop version.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:36 am 

The studio Luigi is alright, the lyrics make me laugh but for what it is in an OK song, I wouldn't skip but never really put it on.

TMFU went from a 4/10 to a 6.5 atleast for me recently. Tink Walks Amok and We Are Not Alone really are too amazing to look over and I actually really like Cocaine Decisions.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:33 am 

RADIO FREE WOHLMAN

Absolutely Out - Freak Free

Transmission 6614

Frank with and without The Mothers!

http://radiofreewohlman.blogspot.com/

Over 2 hours in length.

Posted Saturday, October 18, 2014.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:52 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
The studio Luigi is alright, the lyrics make me laugh but for what it is in an OK song, I wouldn't skip but never really put it on.

TMFU went from a 4/10 to a 6.5 atleast for me recently. Tink Walks Amok and We Are Not Alone really are too amazing to look over and I actually really like Cocaine Decisions.

I think it's a weak album, 7/10. Best are Moggio, Radio is Broken, Jazz Discharge and Tink Walks Amonk. I don't feel We Are Not Alone as Zappa level. The ones I CAN'T STAND, and yes I have revisited them tones of times, are Cocaine Desicions, Luigi and Stick Together.

I doj't really like the 1980/84 years, except for The Perfect Stranger and Ship.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:12 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
Six sides? Was this meant for Warts and All or something before TMFU was conceived?

Food for thought.

The Resentment Listener website has an article The Six Sides of FrankZerox.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:57 am 

I like that track. Unlike lots of 80's stuff which sounds often cold and "too much professional", this track sounds like both FZ and Roy are enjoyingit, and the backing track is fine. I enjoy the whole album except two or three tracks - it contains lot of untypical FZ music and sounds like FZ messing around with his new studio and enjoying it. I prefer it to Them Or Us, for instance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:35 am 

brunofulax wrote:
I prefer it to Them Or Us, for instance.

Me too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:43 pm 

For me the guitar solos and instrumentals of Them Or Us put it way ahead of Man From Utopia.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:39 pm 

It is probably in my top 10 nowadays. I love this album. I don't know why. I just love it. I sing pretty much everything apart from Stick Together.

The Radio Is Broken and Jazz Discharge are some of my favorite Zappa tracks.

The other album that I never used to listen to but is now in my top 10 is WRMF!!!!

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:55 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
The other album that I never used to listen to but is now in my top 10 is WRMF!!!!

Weasels is in my top 5! Awesome album! The last 3 MOI albums and WOIIFTM are basically my top 4.

About Them Or Us, I like Marqueson's Chicken, Truck Driver Divorce, Whipping Post and Sinister Foowear II a lot. There are 2 or 3 more tracks that I like, but I find the rest of the album to be the worst music ever made by Frank like Planet Of My Dreams or Stevie's Spanking.

I prefer at least 20 Zappa albums to The Man From Utopia, but apart from the songs that I mentioned before it's great.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:12 pm 

wakawazooinregalia' wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

Weasels is in my top 5! Awesome album! The last 3 MOI albums and WOIIFTM are basically my top 4.

About Them Or Us, I like Marqueson's Chicken, Truck Driver Divorce, Whipping Post and Sinister Foowear II a lot. There are 2 or 3 more tracks that I like, but I find the rest of the album to be the worst music ever made by Frank like Planet Of My Dreams or Stevie's Spanking.

I prefer at least 20 Zappa albums to The Man From Utopia, but apart from the songs that I mentioned before it's great.

Planet of my Dreams is okay. Its far too short to be offensive, it seems very similar to The Galaxy Song by Monty Python in style and content.
I'll always stick up for Stevie's Spanking. The live versions are better though.

I genuinely love Them Or Us though. Especially The Closer You Are, Sinister, Truck Driver, Marque-son's Chicken and Baby Take Your Teeth Out ;)
The Closer You Are is one of my favorite Zappa covers.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:12 pm 

Nuclear Prostate wrote:
The Closer You Are is one of my favorite Zappa covers.

Whipping Post is great too.

THE THINGS THAT WERE SUPPOSED TO BE GREEN ON THE BLACK AND WHITE MOVIES....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:59 am 

I've often wondered about the fanatical perception of which The Man From Utopia, Thing Fish and Them Or Us projects were produced. Over the decades many opinions have been offered. In speaking of The Man From Utopia, Thing Fish and Them Or Us, there seems to be some common production element that could have been inspired by a Zappa Broadway production.

In the case with Thing Fish, the sound of the production is obvious, but within the context of Broadway, Frank was also considering Broadway efforts that may have had a different concept than what we know as Thing Fish. I do remember a conversation with an 818 rep, where a tittle by the name of "Works" was being considered.

It's basically just food for thought, where the basic production sound on these records are not as in your face as some of his earlier works with overdubs. While there are a number of records that used live recording with overdubs, Sheik Yerbouti for example, this time around it made me think that some or many of these recrdings could have been used elsewhere.

Just what portion, or any for that matter, could these 3 records have been used in a 6 Sided project, yes the one with the six Tanino Liberatore sketches. It was also in that general timeframe where Frank was thinking of a follow-up to the Shut Up N'Play Yer Guitar albums. One project Frank had in mind for that was "Think Tank".

It's all questions, questions, questions....... Broadway Material, 6 Sided Live LP, Guitar Project?????

For me I take the projects for what they are. How some fans talk, I just wonder if some of these songs were produced differently, if they would have overtly thought otherwise.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:48 am 

What about Chalk Pie? What was it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:44 pm 

Frank Zappa
Chalk Pie
Unreleased LP

Tracklisting:

01 Drowning Witch [12:06]
02 Envelopes [2:46]
03 Teenage Prostitute [2:41]
04 The Dangerous Kitchen [2:55]
05 Chalk Pie [4:53]
06 We're Turning Again [4:56]
07 Alien Orifice [4:24]
08 The Jazz Discharge Party Hats [4:30]
09 Toronto [2:15]
10 What's New In Baltimore [7:38]
11 Moggio [2:56]
12 Takes 1 To Know 1 [8:16]
13 Clownz On Velvet [5:07]
14 Frogs With Dirty Little Lips [3:41]

Total Time: 69:11

Notes:
Basic Tracks Recorded mostly on the 1981 Tour with UMRK Mobile.
Overdubs recorded at UMRK Central.

Several Tracks on this album made it to official releases, but in differently mixed form and sometimes with further overdubs.

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=22210

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:55 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

Frank Zappa
Chalk Pie
Unreleased LP

Tracklisting:

01 Drowning Witch [12:06]
02 Envelopes [2:46]
03 Teenage Prostitute [2:41]
04 The Dangerous Kitchen [2:55]
05 Chalk Pie [4:53]
06 We're Turning Again [4:56]
07 Alien Orifice [4:24]
08 The Jazz Discharge Party Hats [4:30]
09 Toronto [2:15]
10 What's New In Baltimore [7:38]
11 Moggio [2:56]
12 Takes 1 To Know 1 [8:16]
13 Clownz On Velvet [5:07]
14 Frogs With Dirty Little Lips [3:41]

Total Time: 69:11

Notes:
Basic Tracks Recorded mostly on the 1981 Tour with UMRK Mobile.
Overdubs recorded at UMRK Central.

Several Tracks on this album made it to official releases, but in differently mixed form and sometimes with further overdubs.

So, by looking at the tracklist I believe it's an absolutely killer album. Am I right?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:54 am 

Yeah it is.

I suggest you listen to it for Moggio alone. It's the only place to here the original mix of it unless you go out and buy the vinyl (like I did).
You'll notice it is a lot more guitar driven. Whilst the remix sounds 'spacey' and more otherworldly, if that makes sense.

EDIT: After comparing the chalk pie version to the vinyl version I'll say its CLOSER but not the same. The chalk pie version has a lot of horns that the vinyl doesn't.

Don't know which one I prefer now.....

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

Last edited by NuclearProstate on Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:55 am 

RIGHT HERE ON YOUTUBE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNeIeNWjK4Q

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:36 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

Frank Zappa
Chalk Pie
Unreleased LP

So, by looking at the tracklist I believe it's an absolutely killer album. Am I right?

From my perspective, by looking at the canon of works, it's all killer.
When considering unreleased projects at this time the 4 sided Chalk Pie is certainly something to add to the mix .
Add some 82' live material with overdubs into the mix as well and we could very well ponder one possibility for the six sided unreleased project with the six Tanino Liberatore sketches. For whatever tracks were used for Chalk Pie and the unreleased project with the six Tanino Liberatore sketches, the mix and overdubs used may very well have had a different production sound that what appears on the same tracks that appear on official released lps. In the case with Chalk Pie it is documented that the project was leaked by illigal means by a former band member. Boo on him.. I could see where illicit and illigal activities such as that could get in the way of an official release. Hope that does no put a squash on feasibility. Surely some of the fans have listened to that and can do there own comparisons. In the case with the unreleased six sided LP with the Tanino Liberatore sketches, at best I think we can only have good natured fun and speculate. Surely there will be those with a sense of specuation without using a sense of good nature.

From May of 1981 to November of 1985 Barking Pumpkin was surely releasing a wide diversity of material at a remarkable rate.
81' 5 official releases 7 LPsides
82' 1 official release 1 LP side
83' 3 official releases 3 LP sides
84' 4 official releases 7 LP sides(Perfect Stranger on Angel Records)
85 ' 2 official releases 8 LP sides

Frank was creating his own records and had to negotiate distribution deals. Forgetting the distribution company that may have initially agreed to distribute Thing Fish but backed out after someone in an office heard a pressing. While Frank surely made his own projects his own way, it just may not have been all that feasible to bring the 4 sided Chalk Pie and 6 Sided project with Tanino Liberatore sketches to the marketplace. Maybe the talks on broadway had an effect on his productions. After the tour finished in 82' so very much more was going on. Frank was far more busy in the close of 82 than what we see on the surface of the 82' release schedule. Surely one can argue that he had other 4 sided LPs and 6 sided Lps at that timeframe but just how many 4 sided and six sided Lps can a company release at that same timeframe..

I don't ever sit at home and say Frank should have done such and such, but I do ask myself what those projects may have sounded like. It's quite easy to see that some fans may have appreciated some of that material on a different scale if produced differently and as part of larger projects. How individual tracks sound in the official catalog. One case in point is the tracks from Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch, The Man From Utopia and Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention. In these unreleased projects they could have come across entirely differently. Certainly Thing Fish is produced entirely in a different manner but the single Lps could also have distinct production elements that differer from the larger unreleased projects. I for one would like to see official releases of Chalk Pie and a six sided(3 Cds) project with the 6 Tanino Liberatore sketches. For that to happen the vault must have the masters and project guideline in place. Fingers Crossed!

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981