Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 108  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 1822
Trent photos:

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow ... geXPHLsUlI

I'm pretty sure that's a spinner cap from a '59 Dodge.



Trinidad 1958:

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow ... qdBpKtrZUw

Yes, nice and blurry...I can see almost anything.


Edwards 1957:

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow ... B175%3B120




Yes! Definitely unidentified!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19895
Location: Somewhere in time
Trent
Dr. Bruce Maccabee, an optical physicist, analyzed the original negatives and found no support for Sheaffer's time lag claim. He also repeated Hartmann's calculations in much greater detail, including corrections for lens grease and obtained about the same results as Hartmann originally did. (One other important aspect of Sheaffer's dirty lens hypothesis is that it fails to explain why it didn't affect all objects in the photos, and not just the UFO. All the nearby objects in the photo were all sharp with high contrast, but the objects in the distance such as a barn, a house, trees, and hills (and the UFO), were of low contrast, exactly as would be expected from absorption and scattering of light.)

Maccabee calculated the UFO to be over 1 kilometre away, and about 30 meters in diameter and 4 meters thick.



Trinadade
In early January 1958 the ship "Almirante Saldanha" left Rio de Janeiro's harbor and proceeded toward the Island of Trindade with a crew of three hundred. The ship had previously been a Brazilian Navy training vessel, but it had been converted into a hydrographic unit to be used for IGY-related research.

It was operated by the Hydrography and Navigation Division, and, since October 1957, it had made several trips to Trindade, most of them connected with the Navy's oceanographic studies for the IGY.


Several civilians were aboard the ship this time, officially invited to collaborate in the scientific studies which were underway at the island.

One of these men was Almiro Barauna, a photographer and former newspaperman working as a "free-lancer." He was also an expert in submarine photography.

After a routine trip, the ship arrived at the Island and stayed there for several days. It was scheduled to leave for Rio on January 16. On that day, at 12:15 P.M., when the ship was preparing to depart, a strange object was sighted simultaneously by a number of observers gathered on deck.

The UFO came toward the island at high speed, hovered briefly over a peak, disappeared behind it for a short time, and appeared again to move away toward the sea.

Mr. Barauna was taking pictures of the ship's maneuvers at that moment. He spotted the UFO and got four pictures of it.



Edwards
1957 - Edwards Air Force Base, California. Taken by a test pilot in September of 1957.
The UFO is following a B-57 twin jet. The UFO was not discovered until the photograph was developed. An excellent photo for that time period.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4812
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
My problem with the photos is a little bit like Rope's, i.e. the UFOs always seem to look like science fiction films from the time at which the photos were taken. The more modern UFO photos tend to look like the UFOs from "Independence Day".

On the other hand, I would disagree with Rope when he says that it is a statistically small chance that their are beings in outer space who might have managed to surmount the problems of travelling through worm holes etc. Considering the size of the universe(s), I would have thought that chance was pretty high. Particularly as I don't think the human race is very advanced...

Mr. GG once sent me some film he took and, although vague and blurry, because a) it was from somebody who I think is a rational human being and b) because he provided a believable description of what he saw, I found rather more convincing.

That's not to say I am convinced, but I'm still more prepared to consider the idea of UFOs manifesting themselves than the Virgin Mary and the Holy Family appearing to deliver a message -as,indeed, a large number of Catholics seem to believe.

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19895
Location: Somewhere in time
Caputh wrote:
My problem with the photos is a little bit like Rope's. I.e. the UFOs always seem to look like science fiction films from the time at which the photos were taken. The more modern UFO photos tend to look like the UFos from "Independence Day".

On the other hand, I tend would to disagree with Rope when he says that it is a statistically small chance that their are beings in outer space who might have managed to surmount the problems of travelling through worm holes etc. Considering the size of the universe(s), I would have thought that chance was pretty high. Particularly as I don't think the human race is very advanced...



Most photos after the seventies we can never be sure, the best evidence are the early pictures and due to the intense analysis of the Trent pictures it is a given the size and distance, the what it is would be debatable since we don't know...the what it isn't is easier, since if it was a product of our Government by now we should have seen it roll out, like Stealth.

Again I encourage...No challenge all to read Witness To Roswell, learn who these people were and are before you disparage what they say. It is easy reading, not to long and well done by the authors who have spent over 20 years interviewing everyone they could find. Maybe I like the book so much since it brings back memories of my Father and the day he told me his tale, in a way very similar to some you will read in the book.

All I know is my Father did not lie, the most honest person I have known and if he said it was a "fact", you could take it to the bank. Most of the men and women in the book were cut from the same cloth.

Like one witness said, “I don’t care what kind of balloon, how big, or how many…these men were around balloons every day, they were the best of the best, the only Nuclear Bombing Wing in the world at the time and could identify everything that flies, do you seriously think they could somehow mistake a balloon and all its components for something else?”


:smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5741
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
duchamp wrote:
Sen. Rand Paul: Sometimes I spread misinformation. This is a great tactic.

http://freakoutnation.com/2013/10/19/se ... at-tactic/

So I am torn. Should a politician be praised for being honest about lying?

Honest & politicians go together like oil and water. Rand just bugs me, that nut didn't fall far from the tree. (what's that hangin' from RP's tree?)



Like father, like son....a couple of lyin' sacks 'o crap. :roll: :P


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:35 am
Posts: 462
Everyone needs to watch this video for their own good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDe5kUUyT0

Remember, every country has a central bank much like the Fed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4812
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Apparently, Rick Santorum thinks that Rand and Ron Paul's foreign policy is like Obama's.
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/pre ... on-foreign

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3564
Location: Vancouver, BC
Caputh wrote:
Apparently, Rick Santorum thinks that Rand and Ron Paul's foreign policy is like Obama's.
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/pre ... on-foreign


Rick Santorum is a moron.



===========================================



Ron Paul, Peter Schiff (who both predicted the Housing Bubble Crisis), Jim Rogers & Nigel Farage (who both predicted the Euro Crisis) at the Offshore Tactics Workshop in Santiago, Chile in early 2013, discussing the forthcoming USD crash that will result in an imminent worldwide depression:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmqIerOV3EM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDIO6OglHPs

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4812
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
I agree. I wonder why Ron and Rand feel it quite so necessary to want to lead a party that seems to have quite a few of them.

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 8393
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Money


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3564
Location: Vancouver, BC
Caputh wrote:
I agree. I wonder why Ron and Rand feel it quite so necessary to want to lead a party that seems to have quite a few of them.


Gray_Ghost wrote:
Money


Translation:

We know we'll NEVER win an argument with Disco Boy since we can't prove him wrong to save our lives. So instead, we'll live in denial and act like the people he supports are evil, despite the FACT they're not. And maybe someday we'll catch him making a grammatical error, so as to scratch at the surface a little, even though we're getting NOWHERE...

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 8393
Location: Wellington New Zealand
You managed to glean all that from my one word DB, you must be a member of MENSA.

PS I can't actually remember being in any (serious) argument with you.....

Many of the contributors on this forum make some valid points on a wide range of interesting and thought provoking subjects, then blow any credability they may have by ending the post with a childish insult.

In the real world, if you were having a face to face discussion with somebody, would you act the same way?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4812
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Disco Boy wrote:
Caputh wrote:
I agree. I wonder why Ron and Rand feel it quite so necessary to want to lead a party that seems to have quite a few of them.


Gray_Ghost wrote:
Money


Translation:

We know we'll NEVER win an argument with Disco Boy since we can't prove him wrong to save our lives. So instead, we'll live in denial and act like the people he supports are evil, despite the FACT they're not. And maybe someday we'll catch him making a grammatical error, so as to scratch at the surface a little, even though we're getting NOWHERE...


Nobody needs to prove you're wrong anymore DB, you've done it to yourself repeatedly. The basic presumptions that lead you into error are exemplified (once again) above:
a) You think you know what others are thinking.
b) Which leads to your utter failure to understand what people have actually written - what I wrote was a question and you seem to think (once again) that you know what my motivation was for writing that question.
c) Your total inability to laugh about yourself.

So, in order to deter any future "translations", offhand, I can honestly say that I can think of nothing that you have ever managed to convince me of.
From
- your definition of inverted commas
- to your advice that I need English lessons
- to the claim that Great Britain does not belong in Europe
- to the belief that fascism=socialism´
- to the statement that Mussolini and Pinochet are examples of capitalism working well
- to the claim that Ron Paul had more than 10 million voters in the primaries
- to the boast that Ayn Rand had sold more books than anyone else
- to your views on gun control
- to your views on health care
- to your idea that the majority of countries in the EU are run by socialists
- to your interpretation of my beliefs to mean that I think or ever said that "socialism is the future"
- to your view that child labour in the 19th century was a jolly good thing
- to your worshipping of Ron Paul,

I can, with my hand on my heart, state that you have totally failed to provide coherent arguments, IMO. Thus, (and I may be alone here, who knows?) I can only reiterate that my impression is that you utterly failed to "win" any of your "arguments", as you choose to put it.

The only thing I agree with you on, is that Roger Waters is not as talented as he thinks he is - and I believed that before you said it.
Edited to take an 's' off 'lead'.

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Last edited by Caputh on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3115
Location: Between the Badges
Well put Caputh.
However, to DB's point of "We know we'll NEVER win an argument with Disco Boy". Of course we won't! Neither will he. Winning an argument is only done through capitulation. I don't recall DB ever saying, or anyone saying to DB: "You were right". Maybe it happened, feel free to check. You are much better at checking that stuff than I am.
Sometimes, DB is just stating the obvious. But, since he does it in such a snotty way, it is easy to assume that he is saying something convoluted.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3511
i feel the same way about sb's arguments about gun control

_________________
Confusion will be my epitaph


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4812
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Let me point out, BRAVO, that I've learned a lot from your arguments. I may not always agree with your position but you argue it honestly, provide appropriate evidence (either personal or secondary) and often make me think or at least reconsider my own arguments - particularly on the question of gun control. The same goes on other topics for Pedro2 or A Rope Leash and, indeed, almost anyone else of a "Republican or anti-Democrat persuasion" on this forum.
I'm sorry to say that DB has never even come close to achieving this - at least with me.

As regards SB, he has the immense advantage for me that he is actually able to laugh about himself and he is certainly diligent. I come into conflict with him less than you do probably because my political /sociological instincts are closer to his. However, I like to question my own instincts. If the argument is interesting, then I'd like to hear it.

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:22 am
Posts: 938
Caputh wrote:
Let me point out, BRAVO, that I've learned a lot from your arguments. I The same goes on other topics for Pedro2 or A Rope Leash and, indeed, almost anyone else of a "Republican or anti-Democrat persuasion" on this forum.
I'm sorry to say that DB has never even come close to achieving this - at least with me.



Cap, I don't deserve that compliment , but seeing as they are few and far between , I'll take it. :)

So ,

Thank you , Sir. I appreciate that quite a bit and I can say very much the same thing on your posts !


8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4812
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
pedro2 wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Let me point out, BRAVO, that I've learned a lot from your arguments. I The same goes on other topics for Pedro2 or A Rope Leash and, indeed, almost anyone else of a "Republican or anti-Democrat persuasion" on this forum.
I'm sorry to say that DB has never even come close to achieving this - at least with me.



Cap, I don't deserve that compliment , but seeing as they are few and far between , I'll take it. :)

So ,

Thank you , Sir. I appreciate that quite a bit and I can say very much the same thing on your posts !


8)


You (in particular) have always got an interesting take that gets me thinking
Over and above that you have my admiration for bringing us all together on the Plook thread - you're a great guy in my book.

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:22 am
Posts: 938
I'm not worthy of that praise , Cap , but thank you , anyway :!:

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3564
Location: Vancouver, BC
Gray_Ghost wrote:
You managed to glean all that from my one word DB, you must be a member of MENSA.

PS I can't actually remember being in any (serious) argument with you.....

Many of the contributors on this forum make some valid points on a wide range of interesting and thought provoking subjects, then blow any credability they may have by ending the post with a childish insult.

In the real world, if you were having a face to face discussion with somebody, would you act the same way?


Give me a fucking break. I know what you two love birds were getting at. You fool nobody.

And where's the childish insult?


Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Caputh wrote:
I agree. I wonder why Ron and Rand feel it quite so necessary to want to lead a party that seems to have quite a few of them.


Gray_Ghost wrote:
Money


Translation:

We know we'll NEVER win an argument with Disco Boy since we can't prove him wrong to save our lives. So instead, we'll live in denial and act like the people he supports are evil, despite the FACT they're not. And maybe someday we'll catch him making a grammatical error, so as to scratch at the surface a little, even though we're getting NOWHERE...


Nobody needs to prove you're wrong anymore DB, you've done it to yourself repeatedly. The basic presumptions that lead you into error are exemplified (once again) above:
a) You think you know what others are thinking.
b) Which leads to your utter failure to understand what people have actually written - what I wrote was a question and you seem to think (once again) that you know what my motivation was for writing that question.
c) Your total inability to laugh about yourself.

So, in order to deter any future "translations", offhand, I can honestly say that I can think of nothing that you have ever managed to convince me of.
From
- your definition of inverted commas
- to your advice that I need English lessons
- to the claim that Great Britain does not belong in Europe
- to the belief that fascism=socialism´
- to the statement that Mussolini and Pinochet are examples of capitalism working well
- to the claim that Ron Paul had more than 10 million voters in the primaries
- to the boast that Ayn Rand had sold more books than anyone else
- to your views on gun control
- to your views on health care
- to your idea that the majority of countries in the EU are run by socialists
- to your interpretation of my beliefs to mean that I think or ever said that "socialism is the future"
- to your view that child labour in the 19th century was a jolly good thing
- to your worshipping of Ron Paul,

I can, with my hand on my heart, state that you have totally failed to provide coherent arguments, IMO. Thus, (and I may be alone here, who knows?) I can only reiterate that my impression is that you utterly failed to "win" any of your "arguments", as you choose to put it.

The only thing I agree with you on, is that Roger Waters is not as talented as he thinks he is - and I believed that before you said it.
Edited to take an 's' off 'lead'.


Look, you little weasel: stop fucking around.

If you want to remain in your socialist denial for all eternity, then do so. I really don't care. But when you CONSTANTLY act like I'm wrong despite the FACT I've PROVEN my points time and time again, which have been through YEARS of study & research, that displays a HUGE character flaw on your part. It's to the point where if I met you, I'd probably punch you in the face. Not only because you've CONSTANTLY misinterpreted and misquoted my statements - especially the list above, where you HIGHLY exaggerated almost everything you claim I claimed...but also because some people here actually believe your line of BS. And that's very unfortunate and sad.

But then again, your stock-in-trade here has always been smothered in a web of sinewy semantic variations, specifically geared to twist discussions to the point where there is no longer clarity for most readers, but only to the few that are paying attention.

You are a liar, a cunt, and a pseudo-intellectual who has FAILED countless times to prove or even come close to providing compelling enough evidence in order to show how I was wrong (which is something I can admit, if it is indeed the case) regarding just about anything, apart from grammatical errors. You need an extremely lengthy dose of psychotherapy. And remember, when laying on the couch during your first session, don't forget to recite the lines, "Socialism is the future!", over and over and over and over again, just so you can convince yourself it's actually true, despite the FACT it's not.

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Well put Caputh.
However, to DB's point of "We know we'll NEVER win an argument with Disco Boy". Of course we won't! Neither will he. Winning an argument is only done through capitulation. I don't recall DB ever saying, or anyone saying to DB: "You were right". Maybe it happened, feel free to check. You are much better at checking that stuff than I am.
Sometimes, DB is just stating the obvious. But, since he does it in such a snotty way, it is easy to assume that he is saying something convoluted.


This coming from someone who has been proven wrong countless times by myself, when discussing topics ranging anywhere from to U2 or Rush to basic laws of supply & demand, etc.


Fucking hell, you guys are hilarious...

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4812
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Gray_Ghost wrote:

In the real world, if you were having a face to face discussion with somebody, would you act the same way?


Apparently, no. It now seems he'd do this...

Disco Boy wrote:
It's to the point where if I met you, I'd probably punch you in the face.


This seems to be the second phase of what Disco Boy likes to refer to as "'tard ball".

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3115
Location: Between the Badges
Well, violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

My fav was the part about the YEARS of study and research hahahahaha

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 1822
I might have time to masturbate this morning.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5741
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Disco Boy wrote:

...You are a liar, a cunt, and a pseudo-intellectual who has FAILED countless times to prove or even come close to providing compelling enough evidence in order to show how I was wrong...

ROTMFFLMMFAO!!!!
Image


Yeah....just ask those 10 million Ron Paul voters who he guaranteed would show put him over the top, but in reality didn't bother to show up to the polls, all of those #1 best selling books of all time that were penned by Ayn Rand, but never hing appeared on a single best sellers list ever, and his claims that more guns and less laws reduces gun crime, even though it's been proven FACT that weaker gun laws and higher ownerships per capita are the cause of more gun deaths per capita.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3550
what about the cue-queue debate?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 108  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group