Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:19 am 

pbuzby wrote:
Yes, "wit'" means "with." I don't know this album all that well but as I recall only Napoleon plays the Evil Prince. In this song Terry/Harry either becomes a Mammy Nun, or is pretending he is a Mammy Nun, or something.

I can see whats happened Iink site have not put the none spoken Dialog in between songs like Joe's Garage.It's the Evil Prince Who's Voice has Changed

"His voice has changed,and now he sings like harry and talks like Thing Fish"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:38 am 

I think it was around this time in a interview FZ was going on about
it's possible too do away with real musicians and program Computer tech Too do rhythm more correct than a human :?

i still think Peter LorI,egypt Land(Mr Cairo) the song would fit nice on Thing fish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__eZAuc2f-Q
Jon & Vangelis - The Friends of Mr. Cairo [Official]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:34 am 

Thanks Pat,

to me the "venetian blind" thing still remains a mystery. Thing-Fish is crazy in itself, but the "venetian blind" here - just nonsense. Or does it have any hidden or funny or any other "meaning"?... Or a connection to a previous tune? Or whatever?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:55 am 

I guess FZ had a thing about venetian blinds since he also mentions them in Be In My Video.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:23 am 

pbuzby wrote:
I guess FZ had a thing about venetian blinds since he also mentions them in Be In My Video.

And what was shining thought the blinds :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:44 pm 

pbuzby wrote:

Wow, thanks, I did not remember that! Though there it is just a line, "something", but here it is right after the title-line, so one might think that is HAS to have some meaning... :-) Who knows?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:48 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhqbESuc2v8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:41 am 

cleon wrote:
the none spoken Dialog in between songs like Joe's Garage.

Cleon, you were right: lots of things became clear (almost :-) ) after reading the liner notes.

My conclusion: since we had no answers and only Cleon had the idea of reading the booklet, my note is that it seems that Thing-Fish is not only one of the least favorite albums, but almost no-one has it for real (i do not, sorry).

There are some nice tunes hidden in there (Brown Moses, Wistful..., Evil Prince, Amnerika, Clowns..., White Boy Troubles), a "clean" version would really be appreciated. OR: an "80es compilation" with the good tunes only from this and from the Prevention album. :-) AND the Chalk Pie album right after that. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:47 pm 

balint wrote:
...it seems that Thing-Fish is not only one of the least favorite albums, but almost no-one has it for real (i do not, sorry).

Almost... but, not quite. I have the original vinyl release, and the first release on CD. Also, the Hustler photo spread.
It's around #5 on the list of my favourite Zappa albums (most of which are from the 1960's, early 1970's).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:53 pm 

balint wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
Who knows?
Zombies don't like Light :arrow:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:02 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
balint wrote:
...it seems that Thing-Fish is not only one of the least favorite albums, but almost no-one has it for real (i do not, sorry).

Almost... but, not quite. I have the original vinyl release, and the first release on CD. Also, the Hustler photo spread.
It's around #5 on the list of my favourite Zappa albums (most of which are from the 1960's, early 1970's).

I don't have the Hustler mag, but I have the cd version and the original vinyl box w/ booklet (signed by Ike) as well as the outtakes. I don't rate TF nearly as high as jpd, but seemingly like it much more than the average listener who probably puts it just below the Mystery Disc and just above Joe's Domage.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:39 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
balint wrote:

I don't have the Hustler mag, but I have the cd version and the original vinyl box w/ booklet (signed by Ike) as well as the outtakes. I don't rate TF nearly as high as jpd, but seemingly like it much more than the average listener who probably puts it just below the Mystery Disc and just above Joe's Domage.

It probably sounds too "pop" to most Zappa fans.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:23 pm 

the venetian blind is a mystery, what about a blind venetian ¿ that italian guy with the nativity scene on his front lawn

thing-fish is in the top 10 or 15 easy, got the original vinyl box with an xtra booklet, the emi cd w/booklet signed by ike & ray, the thing-fish/them or us promo lp, plus a completely un-jizzed copy of the hustler mag

this album has a better chance of clicking with native english speakers within 10-15 years of zappa's age with exposure to, or familiarity with the types of american cultural influences brought forth in this album, also sci-fi fans

if you really know all previous versions/variations of all the tracks on thing-fish, it's more than just re-writing old songs with modified lyrics, most are significantly different ... the sound quality & production on the thing-fish lp's are incredibly clean and the detail is really noticeable; compare galoot update to blue light, cd or lp; same recordings used on both tracks, the guitar on thing-fish is nice 'n crunchy, the bass is cleaner [less muddy ¿ ] than on the blue light

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:44 am 

Well, it seems quite a few guys here have the album - maybe its just that no one wanted to join in the conversation. :-)
just plain doug wrote:
It probably sounds too "pop" to most Zappa fans.

Pop?... Thing-Fish?... Uh, that's the last thing I would think of this album :-D To me the most disturbing is the lots of talk above the music: sometimes (most of the time) those are too long, sometimes destroying the music: like in the case of Clowz on Velvet: inexcuseable.

Sometimes I try to think of the re-worked old songs as if those were some "concert-versions", but in spite of the differences the similarity is too big, and in a comparison it's always the original version that wins. Now I've made a selection of good ones: it became 22 minutes (!) only...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:58 am 

balint wrote:
...To me the most disturbing is the lots of talk above the music...
I guess that is the main reason for people not to like this album (I have once heard someone to complain about Just another band from LA for the same reason). Especially if u r no native english speaker, it is really hard to find out what it is all about. In my case the german translation (by Carl Weissner) helped a lot. I have to admit that thing fish for me is FZs weakest musical/rock opera/audio drama or whatever one should call it, compared to 200 motels, Greggery peccary, Billy the mountain, Joes garage or civilization phaze 3. Anyway, it is a pity that it never made on stage in FZs lifetime. I always imagine the baby with the face of Ms. Pinky and the hairdo of the TV-preacher. The series of photographs with the big boob lady only give a slighltly idea of the huge potential of thing fish as stage piece or as a movie.
I like the way the synclavier is used. I like it much better combined with musicians/singers than as standalone "orchestra".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:28 pm 

I have the LP box and the cassette, no CD. The only setting I listen to Thing-Fish is on long, lonely car rides, and mostly I get a laugh out of it. It depends on the mood. Some times I can't stand it. But I guess it's a "major work", as FZ told Ben Watson, although not everybody's cup of putrid swamp water.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:05 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
the venetian blind is a mystery

I still think it is for Zombie's the walk dead like a Aids Victim Skin Boiling up,and the first Case in America was a few years back like FZ say's in October(according too Wiki)i suppose they got that correct as it would of been televised coursed by a,FZ obviously thought like others that Aids was going do become a bigger killer by large.

MYS'TRY RE-ZEASE :?:
Frank Zappa: The opinion of an aging buffoon (1984)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFJqeDBe6WU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:17 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
'80

I think it is another reference to the visual cliches in the '80's videos on MTV. I think it is in reference to the Glenn Frey video for "The Heat Is On" which prominently featured Venetian blinds, and their light and shadows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-mU-YSk32I

Also, doesn't the house have a picture window with Venetian blinds that looks out onto the lawn in the Hustler spread? Like the plastic pink flamingos, the photos are filled, among other things, with numerous cliche images as well.

I think all overused cliches are what FZ is parodying (no new thinking), just like many of the culturally (in)correct themes of Thing-Fish had quickly become societal cliches.

Conceptual Continuity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:26 pm 

Nicely stated Walker. Here's another 80's tribute to blinds. Images like these were everywhere...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:39 pm 

Yes Venetian blinds become more popular maybe not maybe just a comeback nothing new there.And they are Slang for Cunt(Virgina) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:46 pm 

hey i'm straight :P
http://www.sex-lexis.com/en/Venetian+blinds