Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440, 441 ... 491  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:33 pm 

Image > http://youtu.be/iqBl4jq4BC8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:31 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:55 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:06 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:46 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:01 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:39 pm 

brainpang wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
brainpang wrote:

being a dick can be fun.

It can be, especially if you include two particular pics: a cover of an album that was released in 1997 that contains MASSIVE IRONY musically and visually. And the other, a pic of pop stars in 2011. And also especially if they have NOTHING to do with backing up your points...

Oh, the irony! Bieber Rules. Totally cutting edge production. Plays with deconstruction of a lot of classic soul and now that he is older, teenie boppers. And Will I Am is considered both a songwriting and production genius. They know how to market a good pop record to the masses. It's that world conquest formula, not innovation that does it. Peace!

Keep playing dumb. There's no way in hell you're this STUPID.

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I'm guessing that the musical irony is that while they named it Pop, it actually isn't somehow?

You've got it, Sherlock!

Maybe it is all gloomy, with angular opaque melodies that would bug most people.

Maybe you should listen to the album and find out.

So, if I've got that part of it right, then what is the visual irony? Is the pixilation supposed to mean lo-fi or non-Pop? I've honestly never thought of what an ironic Pop visual music album means.

Check out pics of U2 in the '80s and the during The Joshua Tree tour. And then check out pics of U2 in the '90s, especially during the PopMart tour...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:38 pm 

Image > http://youtu.be/wTDcmWSvezU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:24 am 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:28 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
I'm guessing that the musical irony is that while they named it Pop, it actually isn't somehow?

You've got it, Sherlock!

Maybe it is all gloomy, with angular opaque melodies that would bug most people.

So, if I've got that part of it right, then what is the visual irony? Is the pixilation supposed to mean lo-fi or non-Pop? I've honestly never thought of what an ironic Pop visual music album means.

Check out pics of U2 in the '80s and the during The Joshua Tree tour. And then check out pics of U2 in the '90s, especially during the PopMart tour...

Well, Watson, I was hoping you could explain more of what U2's use of irony means to you rather than continuing to put the ball in the court of: If I listen, I will find out. I've heard enough U2 against my will to know that I have no desire to hear more on purpose without a damn good reason first. Make your case! Not David Bowie's case, I couldn't care less about your list of quotes.
As for going to look at their pictures to discover their musical visual irony... really? You can't just explain what the hell that means to you? Let's say I go look at those pictures and agree that it is visual irony, what does that mean? Is there any there there? Is it just something to tick off a list? Techno, check. Strike a pose, check. Include visual irony, check. I'd like to think that this is leading toward something artistic, but it really just sounds like shopping for the trappings of art. Like this guy I know, he owns a samurai sword, a boat, a plane, all kind of crap that he thinks is cool. He doesn't use any of them often or well, but does he have them. Yep, sure does. Now all he needs is some musical visual irony and he's all set.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:19 pm 

Rock In Rio is streaming live! Right now! SLAYER! MAIDEN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEEcvj6X_h4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:36 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:29 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:

You've got it, Sherlock!

Well, Watson, I was hoping you could explain more of what U2's use of irony means to you rather than continuing to put the ball in the court of: If I listen, I will find out. I've heard enough U2 against my will to know that I have no desire to hear more on purpose without a damn good reason first. Make your case! Not David Bowie's case, I couldn't care less about your list of quotes.
As for going to look at their pictures to discover their musical visual irony... really? You can't just explain what the hell that means to you? Let's say I go look at those pictures and agree that it is visual irony, what does that mean? Is there any there there? Is it just something to tick off a list? Techno, check. Strike a pose, check. Include visual irony, check. I'd like to think that this is leading toward something artistic, but it really just sounds like shopping for the trappings of art. Like this guy I know, he owns a samurai sword, a boat, a plane, all kind of crap that he thinks is cool. He doesn't use any of them often or well, but does he have them. Yep, sure does. Now all he needs is some musical visual irony and he's all set.

So let me get this straight: I've already EXPLICITLY gone over almost everything I can about U2 and their discovery of musical, visual and even attitude-driven irony in the '90s that back up my points (which is that U2 can not really be considered a pop band for most of their career, especially in the '90s, until 2000 and beyond)...but it STILL hasn't sunk in for you? And you STILL haven't heard these records? Yet you claim, "I was hoping you could explain more of what U2's use of irony means to you rather than continuing to put the ball in the court of: If I listen I will find out." This, despite the fact I've only asked you ONCE to listen to these records.

Tell you what, from now on, I'm not going to put in the time, work and energy of explaining the obvious to you, if you can't meet me even remotely close to half way. And if you don't care that much about U2, then wtf are you asking me all these questions and engaging in discussion or debate about them? :roll:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:27 pm 

Image > http://youtu.be/8ho22O7M5q0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:52 am 

OK, DB. It sounds like you are tired of defending U2. No problem.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:11 am 

Disco Boy wrote:

Nasty boy, you miss my point. I'm just not impressed by U2 and their SAFE detours.
It's like so rad, dude! I'm not gonna let them have their cake and eat it, too. 'cause that is what they do. Good: you are impressed. Me: not.
And yes, I'd rather listen to Justin Bieber than u2 any day of the week. At least he is honest.
u2 have always come off as dishonest to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:38 pm 

Not really. I'm just tired of giving you an inch while you expect to take a mile...

brainpang wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Nasty boy, you miss my point. I'm just not impressed by U2 and their SAFE detours.
It's like so rad, dude! I'm not gonna let them have their cake and eat it, too. 'cause that is what they do. Good: you are impressed. Me: not.
And yes, I'd rather listen to Justin Bieber than u2 any day of the week. At least he is honest.
u2 have always come off as dishonest to me.

What SAFE detours are you talking about? Because pre-2000, U2 NEVER played it safe. And that was part of their appeal...

And if you do indeed have a point, you're damn right, I am missing it. Because, musical tastes aside, you're wrong about EVERYTHING you've stated about them pre-2000 and I've shown you why.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:02 pm 

Image > http://youtu.be/PFHkf-nu868

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:33 am 

Disco Boy wrote:

Not really. I'm just tired of giving you an inch while you expect to take a mile...

Hahahaha, thats hilarious. You seem to be under the impression that I am trying for a fair discussion with U2, not the case. I am putting the ball squarely in your court. You claimed MASSIVE visual irony. Put up or shut up. You chose shut up, too bad. Its not too late though. You can still try to explain why visual irony is important to U2 though its looking like you won't.
In the meantime though, I've had more of a chance to think about musical visual irony in general and realized that WOIIFTM has an ironic cover, one that DOES relate to the content of the music. I could go on, but why bother, we all know WOIIFTM, so I don't need to. Its not like I have the chore of defending a silly pop band like U2 or something.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:51 am 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:53 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:12 pm 

just plain doug wrote:

Great venue!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:49 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:

Hahahaha, thats hilarious. You seem to be under the impression that I am trying for a fair discussion with U2, not the case.

It's nice that you can actually admit you don't want a fair discussion. Maybe you'll change your mind...?

I am putting the ball squarely in your court. You claimed MASSIVE visual irony. Put up or shut up. You chose shut up, too bad. Its not too late though. You can still try to explain why visual irony is important to U2 though its looking like you won't.
In the meantime though, I've had more of a chance to think about musical visual irony in general and realized that WOIIFTM has an ironic cover, one that DOES relate to the content of the music. I could go on, but why bother, we all know WOIIFTM, so I don't need to. Its not like I have the chore of defending a silly pop band like U2 or something.

YOU are the one NOT answering my questions relating to this discussion. YOU are the one who will NOT listen to the aforementioned records but still think U2 are strictly a pop band...ROTFLMFAO.

This is a lop-sided discussion and you want the easy way out. Well, I'm not going to let that happen. Once you listen to the aforementioned records, THEN I'll post images clearly showing U2's visual irony of the '80s and '90s (since I've already explicitly gone over U2's musical irony during these eras), NOT before...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:53 pm 

An old Eugene, Oregon Zappa radio show with Glenn Leonard as host & Little Spoon From Peshtigo. (a song unica inspired)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:25 pm 

Image > http://youtu.be/mFyaUKYgZcg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440, 441 ... 491  Next