Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:19 am 

tweezers wrote:
… I will tell you that I was really displeased when the vocals were added to those Hunchentoot somgs - Lisa Popeil does nothing for me except I like that Lisa's Love Story on YCDTOSA.

What does Lisa Popeil have to do with Sleep Dirt? Nothing. It's Thana Harris.

Th.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:22 am 

Thinman wrote:
tweezers wrote:
… I will tell you that I was really displeased when the vocals were added to those Hunchentoot somgs - Lisa Popeil does nothing for me except I like that Lisa's Love Story on YCDTOSA.

What does Lisa Popeil have to do with Sleep Dirt? Nothing. It's Thana Harris.

Th.

Thank you for the correction, then I don't like Thana Harris.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:59 am 

a kayak on snow wrote:
Francesco Zappa, with an 8/10. It's the only Zappa album I've heard (70+ so far) that I'd give less than 9/10.

Sound analysis, in my opinion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:24 pm 

Zappa's music was so diverse and went to extremes, so it's natural that you could intensely like or dislike it, mind you years ago on this forum, I posted that I thought You Are What You Is wasn't very good and that I'd gotten rid of it.
Boy did I get a hammering for "not being a true fan" etc. I still stand by my choice there, also Man From Utopia (apart from Moggio) is not too swift IMO. Tinsel Town Rebellion has some great tracks but I always skip the Panty rap and the Dance Contest, fun on the night for sure, but not for repeated listening. It's always a problem with the comedy stuff, a joke is only funny so many times after all. I have to say though, I think Flo and Eddie get a bit of a bad rap, JABFLA is still good listening, my kids who've recently discovered Frank's music LOVE Call Any Vegetable! Funny to hear them go "BEEEEP" when Frank goes into the "fucking great to be alive" bits! Anyway, as much as the "worst" stuff is almost unlistenable for me, the opposite holds true, the very BEST of his music is just DAZZLING!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:35 pm 

Electric Aunt Jemima, if we're counting BtBs. If not, Jazz From Hell.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:26 pm 

Not a fan of the Synclavier stuff by any stretch of the imagination....sorry, the music seems cold and lifeless to me regardless of the amount of notes played!!!

But as far as "live musicians" I have to go with "Them of Us" I never really liked that album at all....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:37 pm 

Jaminbenb wrote:
Not a fan of the Synclavier stuff by any stretch of the imagination....sorry, the music seems cold and lifeless to me regardless of the amount of notes played!!!

Actually, some FZ live bands from 80s sounds to me much more lifeless compared to his synclavier stuff. FZ would put lot of soul in his playing - and it does not matter, if he was playing the guitar, or the synclavier.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 am 

BBP wrote:
I think Francesco is cute

I don't consider Francesco to be a Frank Zappa album. Frank's only involvement was to program his Synclavier with the music of another composer.

I listened to it once when I first bought it and didn't think much of it.

On the other hand, I love the front cover.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:52 pm 

Not a fan of The Grand Wazoo at all, really (and I quite like his jazz stuff...Sleep Dirt and Hot Rats, especially).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:45 pm 

PLAYGROUND PSYCHOTICS :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:32 am 

mascarasnake21 wrote:
Not a fan of The Grand Wazoo at all, really (and I quite like his jazz stuff...Sleep Dirt and Hot Rats, especially).

TGW is the best of his Jazz era.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:23 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
TGW is the best of his Jazz era.

I've always thought The Grand Wazoo was one of FZ's better recordings too. The whole album fits together so nicely. I didn't know that was considered FZ's Jazz era though. All of FZ's works contain elements of jazz, pop, rock, big band, long haired, contemporary, classical, be-bop, do-wop, experimental, reggae and of course FZ's style of bubble gummy music that we all we enjoy sooo much.
+1 for TGW. Listening to it right now. :D 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:07 pm 

Era was the wrong word to use but I feel it is the best out of his more jazz focused works. Or AT LEAST on the same level as HOT RATS.

It truly is great, starts off with a bang and gets better and better. There is some very underrated guitar stuff on there too.

As for worst. I haven't heard them all so I can't say. I don't count Francesco as a true FZ album.

I think both TMFU and TOU is underrated, need to listen to SATLTSADW more. TTR is good but not great, sorta average for the most part with two dull moments and other great moments.

As great as the 88 band was Broadway is pretty boring but I have only heard it in full once but I'm not too fussed about listening to it again apart from the last track.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:38 pm 

If Francesco doesn't count, then BTHW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:23 am 

My main problem with BTHW is that the music itself isn't very interesting. It is just very average.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:47 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
My main problem with BTHW is that the music itself isn't very interesting. It is just very average.

I dunno about that, "Any Kind of Pain" is on that album... Hell, even the BtHW version of "Outside Now" and "Hot-Plate Heaven at the Green Hotel" are quite stunning pieces (all three boasting sublime solos, to boot).

But there's no denying that older material notwithstanding, "What Kind of Girl?" is one of the funniest tunes on the album (second only to "Jesus Thinks You're a Jerk"), if not for the updated lyrics then simply for the "Strawberry Fields Forever" interlude; this album always makes my mouth water wishing the ZFT would release the full version, complete with the "Louisiana Hooker with Herpes" refrain at the end (mentioned in The Interview of the Century http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/They%27re_Doing_the_Interview_of_the_Century,_Part_1 about two-fifths down the page).

I usually find that my hang-up with Zappa's albums isn't hearing something on the record I can't groove to, it's knowing what FZ left off the record that I want to groove to :roll: In that respect, BtHW, while one of my personal favorites (mostly for humor) is also terribly disappointing to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:51 am 

Buckalos wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

I dunno about that, "Any Kind of Pain" is on that album... Hell, even the BtHW version of "Outside Now" and "Hot-Plate Heaven at the Green Hotel" are quite stunning pieces (all three boasting sublime solos, to boot).

As I mention on my 88 site, "When The Lie's So Big" is a great and often overlooked song.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:13 am 

I find it hard to judge any of his albums after only one or two listens. I could go back to it a few times and end up loving it. Has happened a few times for me. Still BTHW isn't his worst BUT I don't know what is. I haven't heard Playground Psychotics yet but I have read you'll either find it over long and boring or hilarious because it's like a back stage documentary to the Flo & Eddie era of Zappa.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

Last edited by NuclearProstate on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:22 am 

Any Kind Of Pain gets stuck in my head for days on end. I hate that. I'm still recovering from the last time I heard Wuthering Heights.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:37 pm 

BBP wrote:
Any Kind Of Pain gets stuck in my head for days on end. I hate that. I'm still recovering from the last time I heard Wuthering Heights.

Next time you have trouble with Wuthering Heights, listen to this. A sure cure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwXbzRFSqL0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:38 pm 

BBP wrote:
I'm still recovering from the last time I heard Wuthering Heights.

Ha! I'd actually never heard this song before last week, and ever since I heard it the damn tune won't get outta my head! I absolutely love Kate though, she's really stunning; It pisses me off that no one I show her to has ever heard of her. America is NOT wonderful. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:07 pm 

Buckalos wrote:
BBP wrote:

Ha! I'd actually never heard this song before last week, and ever since I heard it the damn tune won't get outta my head! I absolutely love Kate though, she's really stunning; It pisses me off that no one I show her to has ever heard of her. America is NOT wonderful. :roll:

Interesting. This never got stuck in my head nearly as much as Babooshka or Pull Out the Pin.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:34 pm 

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I MUST ADMIT :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: JUST WHEN I THINK I AM KING :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:56 am 

Buckalos wrote:
BBP wrote:

I shouldn't ask this, really; how can you know Kate Bush and never have heard Wuthering Heights?
Doug: that wasn't a cure. I have it in my head again. :x Help!! (plays Adventures of Greggery Peccary)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:01 am 

BBP wrote:
I shouldn't ask this, really; how can you know Kate Bush and never have heard Wuthering Heights?

I guess I should've rephrased that, I'd never really heard of her at all before that, and have since very recently developed a strong love for that woman's music. I'd be more ashamed to have taken so long to discover her, but like I said, no one else I know in my hometown has ever even heard of her; one of my friends actually asked if she was George W. Bush's daughter when I told him her name :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next