Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319 ... 370  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:15 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Then, one September day, tucked away on Robert Fripp's diary...

"So, King Crimson is in motion. This is a very different reformation to what has gone before: seven players, four English and three American, with three drummers.

The Seven-Headed Beast of Crim is in Go! mode."

Thanx for the news jpd... word is spreading fast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:26 pm 

The 8th incarnation of King Crimson will be Gavin Harrison, Bill Rieflin, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, Mel Collins, Jakko Jakszyk and Robert Fripp.

Writing on his (not yet published) dairy for September 24th Fripp notes "The Point Of Crim-Seeing was of a conventional Back Line – Gavin Harrison, Bill Rieflin, Tony Levin and Pat Matstelotto - reconfigured as the Front Line, with Mel Collins, Jakko Jakszyk and myself as Back Line."

Robert goes on "All the Crims have expressed great excitement at the return to Go! mode. Given the considerable commitments of all members, it will take a year before Crimson is able to perform."

Bill Rieflin mentioned to me that he told Jacknife Lee (REM and Robbie Williams’ producer) of the triple drumming, and Jacknife’s reply: Of course. We know what two drummers sound like! I’m hoping we’ll find out, and have a pile of fun doing so."

In his (not yet published) diary for September 7th Fripp begins "dear brother crims, we have one year to prepare for action of the savage variety, and be in Go! mode for september 2014… but essentially, King Crimson is in motion."

Robert expects that they’ll be rehearsing, in full and small group formations over that period.

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:30 pm 

The United States of Shame
What is your state worst at? :mrgreen: :roll: :wink:

http://www.policymic.com/articles/64665/what-is-the-most-screwed-up-thing-about-your-state-check-this-chart

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:03 pm 

If KC going to tour next year with that line-up, all us Sac/SF ZappaFreaks ought to pool our money and send one guy/gal with a recording device (only for those of us on the forum's ears of course) to capture what some of us might have to miss for personal/professional reasons. 3-5 $bucks apiece should do it.
Or not. :twisted: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:12 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
If KC going to tour next year with that line-up, all us Sac/SF ZappaFreaks ought to pool our money and send one guy/gal with a recording device (only for those of us on the forum's ears of course) to capture what some of us might have to miss for personal/professional reasons. 3-5 $bucks apiece should do it.
Or not. :twisted: :roll:

I hereby submit my candidacy for this project. :mrgreen: :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:13 am 

Yesterday was National Punctuation Day:
http://www.nationalpunctuationday.com/

And it took place during Banned Books Week:
http://www.bannedbooksweek.org/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:45 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Yesterday was National Punctuation Day:
http://www.nationalpunctuationday.com/

And it took place during Banned Books Week:
http://www.bannedbooksweek.org/

Do we really need a "day" for everything? Thank God we have National Dress Up Your Pet Day, Step in a Puddle and Splash Your Friend Day, Be Nasty Day, and Something On A Stick Day. No idea how I could live my life without such trivialities.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:14 am 

Hahaha, awesome reply. But, watch out, I'm considering making observation of both Mandatory.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:00 am 

I do applaud your enthusiasm. I am a teacher, and somewhat of a grammar Nazi myself, but celebrating every little thing with it's own special day/month detracts from the idea of making something special, imho.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:27 am 

Yeah, I'm stuck in Alabama. I'm pretty sure they won't come here, but I'll send $5 to help a Cali fan get a recording device inside that show.

In other news.....Primus with Tim Alexander, Oysterhead, a Primus book, and Les Claypool fishing on tv with a guy from Ween.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... n-20130925

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:06 pm 

Over 80 elephants have been found dead in Zimbabwe, after poachers put cyanide in their drinking water. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:52 pm 

schvanzbass wrote:
Yeah, I'm stuck in Alabama. I'm pretty sure they won't come here, but I'll send $5 to help a Cali fan get a recording device inside that show.

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
I hereby submit my candidacy for this project. :mrgreen:

With me we got $15 bucks and a volunteer for the KC show! 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:54 pm 

BBP wrote:
Over 80 elephants have been found dead in Zimbabwe, after poachers put cyanide in their drinking water. :cry:

That's despicable. The horror, the horror... :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:10 pm 

Ancient oxygen discovery rewrites history of life on Earth
Soil analysis by B.C. scientist suggests photosynthesis evolved more than 3 billion years ago

By Emily Chung, CBC News Posted: Sep 25, 2013 1:39 PM ET Last Updated: Sep 25, 2013 4:23 PM ET

Oxygen appeared in the Earth’s atmosphere up to 700 million years earlier than thought, according to a study led by a B.C. scientist, suggesting that revisions need to be made to current theories about how life evolved on Earth.

Up until now, scientists thought photosynthesis — the ability of living things such as algae and plants to harvest energy from the sun — first evolved in single-celled organisms about 2.7 billion years ago.

Because oxygen is produced during photosynthesis, early photosynthetic organisms are thought to have given rise to the Great Oxygenation Event, also known as the Great Oxidation Event, about 2.3 billion years ago. The Great Oxygenation Event was thought to be the first time the atmosphere began accumulating significant amounts of oxygen. That is significant because complex multicellular organisms such as humans require an oxygen-rich atmosphere to survive.

The new study led by biogeochemist Sean Crowe has found surprising evidence that as far back as three billion year ago, there were levels of oxygen in the atmosphere too high to have been produced without living organisms.

The findings were published online in the journal Nature on Wednesday.

Breathe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:45 pm 

National Geographic best be getting to work on some new maps!

New island erupts from the sea off Pakistan coast after earthquake

A brand-new island has appeared off the coast of Pakistan after the country was rocked by an earthquake.
The new outcrop of land is around 2km from the coast of Gwadar, a port city in the South West of the country.
Locals gathered on the beach to see the new isle which rises approximately 20m from sea level and stretches 100m and 200m across at its widest points.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news ... an-2299496

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:26 pm 

A buddy of mine named Josh Keppel works for a teevee station in San Francisco. He attended several of the America's Cup races, including today's final. This evening he posted this on his Facebook page:
What an incredible, historic, unbelievable match between USA and New Zealand for this America's Cup. At first, I was actually rooting for NZ, until it looked like the whole thing was going to be wrapped up in a few days. Then, when it was 6 to -1, I switched and started rooting for USA and never thought they would pull off the impossible. I feel really bad for the people of New Zealand, as they cared about this MUCH more than us Americans. I gave one of the New Zealand team members a ride back to their dock after the race today and he was crushed. I asked him how many kiwis are on Oracle Team USA and he said about 70 (of 200). I asked how many foreigners were on Emirates Team New Zealand and he said one. As bad as I feel for NZ, I am so completely impressed with what the US team pulled off!!! Unbelievable! Comparing this to a baseball or hockey team winning a playoff series after being down 0-3 is doing it a disservice, if you ask me. Not only did USA have to win 8 in-a-row or go home, they had to win 11 total! I feel so happy I got to experience the America's Cup here in SF, and back in February when I took this picture with the Cup, known as "Auld Mug" as I found out today, at the San Francisco Giants' Fan Fest, almost no one even stopped to look at it. I think if this race comes back to SF, that'll be different thanks to the last week of racing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:12 pm 

Congrates USA USA USA.

All the race's were televised live around 8:00am local time and the country literally ground to a halt each and every day watching the spectacle unfold. The best boat won. On the bright side for NZ, both yachts were built here and created hundreds of jobs in the boat building and designing industry........I wonder how much it will cost Larry big bucks Ellison to buy the cup again next time :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:19 am 

For those who use Allmusic.com, they have a new search feature at http://www.allmusic.com/advanced-search

You can be fairly specific with interests like this one looking for 5 Star Ironic Rock albums from 1966:

Of course, its not always the solution. If you want 5 Star Ironic Experimental Techno Albums from 1990 to 2000, sorry, there just aren't any.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:41 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Of course, its not always the solution. If you want 5 Star Ironic Experimental Techno Albums from 1990 to 2000, sorry, there just aren't any.

That is highly disappointing. I would love to hear what that would sound like.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:43 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

Soil analysis by B.C. scientist suggests photosynthesis evolved more than 3 billion years ago

By Emily Chung, CBC News Posted: Sep 25, 2013 1:39 PM ET Last Updated: Sep 25, 2013 4:23 PM ET

Oxygen appeared in the Earth’s atmosphere up to 700 million years earlier than thought, according to a study led by a B.C. scientist, suggesting that revisions need to be made to current theories about how life evolved on Earth.

Up until now, scientists thought photosynthesis — the ability of living things such as algae and plants to harvest energy from the sun — first evolved in single-celled organisms about 2.7 billion years ago.

Because oxygen is produced during photosynthesis, early photosynthetic organisms are thought to have given rise to the Great Oxygenation Event, also known as the Great Oxidation Event, about 2.3 billion years ago. The Great Oxygenation Event was thought to be the first time the atmosphere began accumulating significant amounts of oxygen. That is significant because complex multicellular organisms such as humans require an oxygen-rich atmosphere to survive.

The new study led by biogeochemist Sean Crowe has found surprising evidence that as far back as three billion year ago, there were levels of oxygen in the atmosphere too high to have been produced without living organisms.

Breathe

More evidence for the Nibiru Theory, literally almost every new scientific discovery in evolution, genetic, and planetary development over the past 20 years has reinforced Zecharia Sitchen's The 12th Planet... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:05 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
A buddy of mine named Josh Keppel works for a teevee station in San Francisco. He attended several of the America's Cup races, including today's final. This evening he posted this on his Facebook page:
What an incredible, historic, unbelievable match between USA and New Zealand for this America's Cup. At first, I was actually rooting for NZ, until it looked like the whole thing was going to be wrapped up in a few days. Then, when it was 6 to -1, I switched and started rooting for USA and never thought they would pull off the impossible. I feel really bad for the people of New Zealand, as they cared about this MUCH more than us Americans. I gave one of the New Zealand team members a ride back to their dock after the race today and he was crushed. I asked him how many kiwis are on Oracle Team USA and he said about 70 (of 200). I asked how many foreigners were on Emirates Team New Zealand and he said one. As bad as I feel for NZ, I am so completely impressed with what the US team pulled off!!! Unbelievable! Comparing this to a baseball or hockey team winning a playoff series after being down 0-3 is doing it a disservice, if you ask me. Not only did USA have to win 8 in-a-row or go home, they had to win 11 total! I feel so happy I got to experience the America's Cup here in SF, and back in February when I took this picture with the Cup, known as "Auld Mug" as I found out today, at the San Francisco Giants' Fan Fest, almost no one even stopped to look at it. I think if this race comes back to SF, that'll be different thanks to the last week of racing.

Congrats to all the teams for putting on a such a beautiful yachting/sailing clinic. They were in the best box in the world for this event! But mostly to the Kiwis and Yanks man! Woo-Hoo! Good show! It must be the SF bay area, something magical is always happening around there. Being born in SF, I might have a little favorable bias towards the area. What a great sporting event and place to have it. The backdrop and weather where perfect for this event. What a feast for the senses. I hope the NZ team gets another shot at The Americas Cup next time. Nice picture of a beautiful and very old trophy, thanks for sharing it MTF. :D 8)
Anyone know if the America's Cup held every year or two or more? How or who decides where it's held? Any yachtsmen around here? Yoo-hoo, sailor!...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:40 pm 

Plook wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

Breathe

More evidence for the Nibiru Theory, literally almost every new scientific discovery in evolution, genetic, and planetary development over the past 20 years has reinforced Zecharia Sitchen's The 12th Planet... :smoke:

Ever since I read that I've hoped it to be true. I don't believe it, but I want it soooooo bad.

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:48 am 

Also: water has been found on Mars.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:59 am 

for people sick of those ancient alien teevee shows::

http://sitchiniswrong.com/

and the 3 hour documentary:

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:23 am 

brainpang wrote:
for people sick of those ancient alien teevee shows::

http://sitchiniswrong.com/

and the 3 hour documentary:

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/

Unfortunately I have watched these shows and they can throw a false claim just as easy as a they throw a balloon story at Roswell, neither flies....Stichin was a master in ancient languages, the truth lies it what the text say and you can not substitute a word like arrow when the translation should be missile, and that is where the argument lies... :smoke:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319 ... 370  Next