Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:37 pm 

zappahead311 wrote:

Wow That MSRP is a thousand pound more than they said last year when robby krieger 50th anniversary sg which is also 1000 pound cheaper than FZ's,Single Coil Is That Nessesery for that much more money :?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:36 am 

Gibson unveils Frank Zappa Roxy SG
SG used live in '73 recreated
Rob PowerMay 8, 2013, 15:40 GMT

Gibson has unveiled its second new signature model of the day, this time in the form of the Gibson Frank Zappa Roxy SG.

The heavily modded SG is a replica of the guitar that Zappa used for live performances at the Roxgt Theatre in Hollywood, performances that were made famous after the Roxy & Elsewhere album and DVD release.

The SG features a slim '60s style neck, a pair of uncovered humbuckers and a Maestro-style vibrola, and is shipping with a retail price of $3749 (approximately £2410).

For more information, visit the official Gibson website.

Gibson press release

Frank Zappa® "Roxy" SG

Frank Zappa has long been hailed as one of the most inventive rock guitarists ever to have graced the stage and studio. The live performances with his band The Mothers at the Roxy Theatre in Hollywood from December 1973 and after—documented in the album Roxy & Elsewhere and on subsequent DVD releases—are often considered to display the pinnacle of his unbridled invention.

The heavily modified SG Special used in those shows is an iconic instrument among Zappa fans, and now Gibson USA recreates that legendary SG in perfectly faithful detail to bring the Frank Zappa® “Roxy” SG to anyone seeking an extremely versatile, and superbly playable modified-vintage SG Standard.

Zappa’s original SG Special was an early ’60s model with a fast, slim neck profile and the smaller pickguard characteristic of the era, which would have been made with P-90 pickups originally. While it reflects the heavily modified state of FZ’s guitar, the Frank Zappa® “Roxy” SG still functions perfectly as a straight-up vintage-reissue SG when desired. But just flip either of the two mini-toggle switches to split the uncovered humbuckers’ coils, or to throw the pickups out of phase, and you leap into funky Zappa-certified tones—all aided by the highly functional Maestro-style vibrola with Lyre tailpiece. And with its natural neck and headstock, and a carefully color-matched rendition of FZ’s faded nitrocellulose Cherry finish, the Frank Zappa® “Roxy” SG looks every bit as distinctive as it sounds.

Body and Neck

The Frank Zappa® “Roxy” SG begins with the same time-tested tonewoods that helped to make the SG Standard legendary in the first place. The body is crafted from solid Grade-A mahogany in the iconic double-horned style with beveled edges for enhanced playing comfort. A solid, quarter-sawn, Grade-A mahogany neck is carved in the slim early ’60s profile that Zappa preferred, which measures 0.775” at the 1st fret and 0.910” at the 12th, for superb speed and comfort. It’s topped with a Grade-A rosewood fingerboard with pearloid dot inlays and 22 frets made from wire based on precise measurement of the jumbo frets on the original “Roxy” SG. Like FZ’s guitar, the neck is natural mahogany, and the headstock is white.

Pickups and Electronics

The modified electronics on FZ’s original “Roxy” SG were a big part of that guitar’s mojo, and Gibson USA goes all out to replicate that versatility in the Frank Zappa® “Roxy” SG. Two enhanced ’57 Classics with four-conductor wiring replicate the same thick, juicy tone of the humbuckers Zappa added to his guitar. They are routed through a pair of mini-toggle switches mounted in a channel under the pickguard, to yield coil-splitting for single-coil tones, and out-of-phase tones, both of which were a big part of Zappa’s signature sound. The remaining control complement includes the traditional three-way toggle selector and an independent volume and tone control for each pickup.

Hardware and Plastics

Tremolo was a key part of FZ’s signature sound, and the Frank Zappa® “Roxy” SG is loaded with a Maestro-style vibrola with decorative Lyre tailpiece and flat bar handle to give the same creative kick to your own playing. A Tune-o-matic bridge offers precise intonation, while a set of Grover™ tuners with historic rounded buttons are both efficient, and true to the look of the original guitar. The guitar carries the smaller early ’60s five-ply SG pickguard with special dimensioned neck spacer to alter the position of the neck pickup to match FZ’s original guitar and a traditional black truss-rod cover.

Cases and Coverage

Every Frank Zappa® “Roxy” SG comes protected in a black Gibson hardshell case, and includes a Zappa CD, an owner’s manual and adjustment literature, and coverage by Gibson’s Limited Lifetime Warranty and 24/7/365 Customer Service.

FRANK ZAPPA is a registered trademark of the Zappa Family Trust.

Now Gibson USA recreates, with the cooperation of the Zappa Family Trust and Dweezil Zappa, Frank Zappa’s legendary SG in perfect detail with close, hands-on reference to the original guitar, to bring the Frank Zappa® “Roxy” SG to anyone seeking an extremely versatile and superbly playing modified-vintage SG Standard.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:42 pm 

Yeah. It is here http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/Frank-Zappa-Roxy-SG.aspx#disqus_thread

At $3,749 not exactly one anybody would pick up (I still moan the day in the 80s where I sold my 1964 SG, but I hated it, so it had to go, and SGs will probably never be me). But Zappa beats the Angus Young SG, which is only $3,199 (there is a Custom AY at almost $10,000 though), and the Robbie Krieger SG at $2,839. Frank is outnumbered, however, by the Dicky Betts SG that goes for $6,115.

Saddening to a Zappa fan is to see the Peter Frampton Les Paul go for $6,821. :D

But expensive or not, it looks great:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 pm 

I've made an enquiry with the local Gibson agent, but the Roxy SGs price with freight and insurance may be a little rich for my wallet....I own a mint heritage 61 reissue SG which I love....but an FZ/DZ Roxy SG....and the kiwi dollars got a pretty good exchange rate with the US$ at the moment...I may have to search for loose change down the back of the maroon sofa to make it happen...

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:50 pm 

received mine today. no seller is ever going to ask retail for a guitar. they can be bought at under $2500. just got done playing it for the first time. sounds and feels great!!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:51 am 

zappahead311 wrote:
received mine today. no seller is ever going to ask retail for a guitar. they can be bought at under $2500. just got done playing it for the first time. sounds and feels great!!

:smurf: Blue with envy

The Rockshop, my music shop of choice may throw in a free pick, but otherwise it's retail all the way :mrgreen: They have applied to Gibson USA for a price, so now we wait....

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:41 am 

zappahead311 wrote:
received mine today. no seller is ever going to ask retail for a guitar. they can be bought at under $2500.

Yep. Musician's Friend has it in stock for $2,249.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:00 am 

I placed an order for a Roxy SG with my local Gibson dealer back in May. I waited and waited for confirmation and was repeatedly told they would get back to me on no less than six occasions. I got a little jumpy yesterday and e mailed Gibson USA, who put me on to an Australian agent.
I e mailed them this morning, they replied instantly saying they were sold out, and the SG was no longer available to order. I had spent around $15,000.00 in the last five years with the local guys, I thought I was a valued customer, rest assured I will never spend another dollar in their store. To say I'm disappointed is a #@&%#$ understatement :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:37 pm 

take one home with you
save a dollar today

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:51 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
take one home with you
save a dollar today

Cheers for that Mr. S, I will approach them directly to see if they will ship to NZ

My credit card is braced for impact

Post subject: re: roxy on ebay
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:15 pm 

didn't consider your geo-locationally challenged spot on the globe ... use caution with hi volume sellers, 214 negs in 12 months

$1,899.99

Post subject: Re: re: roxy on ebay
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:58 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
didn't consider your geo-locationally challenged spot on the globe ... use caution with hi volume sellers, 214 negs in 12 months

Yeah I have been burnt on e bay before and pay pal was no help what so ever, plus the danger of damage during shipping, insurance, customs import duty, and maybe even 15% goods and services tax at this end could all add up to around NZ$5000.00 by the time I get my hands around it's pretty little neck... But for me it's a must have guitar. The local rockshop store manager feels bad about the situation and is using his international contacts to attempt to secure one for me but If all else fails I may have to resort to eek bay :| but it's a dangerous game....

$1,899.99

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:26 am 

g_g wrote:
...this end could all add up to around NZ$5000.00 by the time I get my hands around it's pretty little neck
for a wad like that, you could take fly over here & get your stinky hands on the axe at a local shop, break it in whilst sampling some local titties 'n 'erb, stay a week, get the crabs & take a boat back home ...

before you come over, get the store guys that fucked you around to bodge-up a bill of sale to hand over to the man [te mana ärai o aotearoa] on the way back

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:55 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
g_g wrote:
...this end could all add up to around NZ$5000.00 by the time I get my hands around it's pretty little neck
for a wad like that, you could take fly over here & get your stinky hands on the axe at a local shop, break it in whilst sampling some local titties 'n 'erb, stay a week, get the crabs & take a boat back home ...

before you come over, get the store guys that fucked you around to bodge-up a bill of sale to hand over to the man [te mana ärai o aotearoa] on the way back

Now that sounds like a plan :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:51 pm 

YES! YES! YES! xmas has come early my very own Gibson Roxy SG was delivered today.

As I was unable to buy one locally, or through the Australian distributor, or through Gibson USA, and wasn't prepared to risk e Bay (I've been ripped off before) so I visited a certain Amazon.com. I then contacted a very obliging listed seller directly to arrange shipment to the bottom of the world. I also had to register myself with NZ Customs as an importer because of the dollar value of the item. But now it is here and all I had to do was part with a total of: NZ$3617.95, which included packaging and freight at: US$150.00, GST (goods and services tax) and import duty which totalled: NZ$529.44

A big THANK YOU! to the lads at Sam Ash Music Corporation, 278 Duffy Avenue, Hicksville, NY. "Serving Musicians Since 1924"
without whom my ownership of this instrument would not have been possible.

My order left the USA on September 17th and was delivered to me today, unbelievable service from fedex....

The Roxy looks pretty good next to my cherry 61 heritage SG, and it sounds stunning!!!

I just can't get the smile off my face :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:37 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
YES! YES! YES! xmas has come early my very own Gibson Roxy SG was delivered today.

As I was unable to buy one locally, or through the Australian distributor, or through Gibson USA, and wasn't prepared to risk e Bay (I've been ripped off before) so I visited a certain Amazon.com. I then contacted a very obliging listed seller directly to arrange shipment to the bottom of the world. I also had to register myself with NZ Customs as an importer because of the dollar value of the item. But now it is here and all I had to do was part with a total of: NZ$3617.95, which included packaging and freight at: US$150.00, GST (goods and services tax) and import duty which totalled: NZ$529.44

A big THANK YOU! to the lads at Sam Ash Music Corporation, 278 Duffy Avenue, Hicksville, NY. "Serving Musicians Since 1924"
without whom my ownership of this instrument would not have been possible.

My order left the USA on September 17th and was delivered to me today, unbelievable service from fedex....

The Roxy looks pretty good next to my cherry 61 heritage SG, and it sounds stunning!!!

Good to hear you got one,enjoy !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:08 pm 

gray_ghost wrote:
... The Roxy looks pretty good next to my cherry 61 heritage SG, and it sounds stunning!!!

pics please

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:28 am 

I need a teenager to help get the pictures from my camera into my computer, and a preschooler to get those pictures from my computer on to the internet.
Once that happens I can get them from the internet to Z.com.... :mrgreen:

One of the cheap chinese toggle switchs has failed on the sg, fortunately I have the technology to replace it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:40 am 

gray_ghost wrote:
...get those pictures from my computer on to the internet.
Once that happens I can get them from the internet to Z.com...
we need pics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6