Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:12 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Thanks for the info.
This page makes it look like a pre-show talk:

http://cms.southbankcentre.co.uk/sites/ ... stings.pdf

Do you know if this will be the case in the US as well?

The pre-concert talk is a further event - Gail will separately be talking about Frank on the Sunday.

I do not know whether GZ will talk about Frank and/or 200 Motels in LA, but I guess the chances are she will.

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:14 am 

Less that 100 seats left. Are you Brits gonna have a sell out?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:23 pm 

coevad wrote:

looks that way, i just brought 2 tickets and there was not many seats left...
so looking forward to this, the last Zappa orchestral show that i went to was
the yellow shark in 1996 (think it was 96).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:11 pm 

mistrijah wrote:
coevad wrote:

My video says 1992. Some info: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 4380,d.cGE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:41 pm 

coevad wrote:
mistrijah wrote:
coevad wrote:

My video says 1992. Some info: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 4380,d.cGE

this is the one i meant from 1996 :-)
https://www.songkick.com/concerts/16122 ... ank-centre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:01 am 

mistrijah wrote:

I was there too. That was the night a member of the IRA blew himself - and a bus - up in nearby Aldwych.

www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:26 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
mistrijah wrote:

I was there too. That was the night a member of the IRA blew himself - and a bus - up in nearby Aldwych.

The very same bus i was going to get to go home, still think i am very lucky to have stayed till the end of the last encore... are you going to 200 motels as well?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:48 am 

mistrijah wrote:
The Idiot Bastard wrote:
mistrijah wrote:

The very same bus i was going to get to go home, still think i am very lucky to have stayed till the end of the last encore... are you going to 200 motels as well?

It was a scary drive home for me...and yes, I'll be there in October - wouldn't miss it for the world!

www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:14 am 

mistrijah wrote:

I'd never heard about that. Ensemble Modern?
Was it like a memorial service? Not as an actual memorial, more along the lines of it being a somber affair. Did the Zappa's attend?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:45 am 

brainpang wrote:
mistrijah wrote:

I'd never heard about that. Ensemble Modern?
Was it like a memorial service? Not as an actual memorial, more along the lines of it being a somber affair. Did the Zappa's attend?

It was a normal concert, not a memorial service or anything else like that. It was with the Ensemble Modern, there was other music on the program but for some reason i cannot remember what, maybe Varese And Nancarrow, can anyone else remember????

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:46 pm 

Yes, before the Yellow Shark we had three studies by Nancarrow and Varese's Deserts (with film). Also, Gail, Diva, Moon and Warren Cuccurullo were in attendance.

www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:29 am 

thank you both for the details....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:29 am 

...and now some cast details:

Richard Strange (of proto-punk rock band The Doctors of Madness): narrator, Rance;
Ian Shaw (Welsh jazz singer and stand-up comedian): Mark;
Brendan Reilly (London-based American singer-songwriter): Howard;
Sophia Brous (exotica diva/pop auteur): Groupie 1 (Janet);
Bridget Christie (stand-up comedienne): Good Conscience, Donovan;
Jay Rayner (food critic, son of Claire): Bad Conscience, Ginger;
Scott Carter Thunes (bass player/shit-disturber extraordinaire): Jeff

www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:39 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
...and now some cast details:

Richard Strange (of proto-punk rock band The Doctors of Madness): narrator, Rance;
Ian Shaw (Welsh jazz singer and stand-up comedian): Mark;
Brendan Reilly (London-based American singer-songwriter): Howard;
Sophia Brous (exotica diva/pop auteur): Groupie 1 (Janet);
Bridget Christie (stand-up comedienne): Good Conscience, Donovan;
Jay Rayner (food critic, son of Claire): Bad Conscience, Ginger;
Scott Carter Thunes (bass player/shit-disturber extraordinaire): Jeff

quess what.....I'll be there :P
Really looking forward to this one!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:50 am 

SouthBank Centre Frank Zappa:200 Motels Page
http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whatson/frank-zappas-200-motels-71696

Having noticed that folks bring forth dialogue of the character roles in the production..... Keep checking back to the SouthBank Centre Frank Zappa:200 Motels Page for any potential update of program info.... and but also expect some more of the unexpected come showtime.

......It's been a long wait, yet some folks in some social circles are mistaken when they state that the LA event is not a world première. Not to take anything away from the UK either but folks should not mistakenly think that the 200 Motels 13 Suites performance in Amsterdam back in 2000 was the full enchilada with all the hot sauce.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:36 am 

Trendmonger wrote:

Having noticed that folks bring forth dialogue of the character roles in the production..... Keep checking back to the SouthBank Centre Frank Zappa:200 Motels Page for any potential update of program info.... and but also expect some more of the unexpected come showtime.

......It's been a long wait, yet some folks in some social circles are mistaken when they state that the LA event is not a world première. Not to take anything away from the UK either but folks should not mistakenly think that the 200 Motels 13 Suites performance in Amsterdam back in 2000 was the full enchilada with all the hot sauce.

What is the "true" world premiere will always be a matter of subjective definition. And honestly, does it matter? No.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:23 pm 

HJ wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

What is the "true" world premiere will always be a matter of subjective definition. And honestly, does it matter? No.

Quite so: I think we're all agreed that the upcoming US & UK productions will be pretty damn amazing.

www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:56 am 

HJ wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

At times fans and critics tend to get far too subjective with the composers work. In pertaining to Franks orchestral score for 200 Motels we should keep an open mind of accepting this is a world premiere. History of the movie, 2LP, True Story of 200 Motels film, LA Philharmonic Contempo 1970 and 200 Motels : The 13 Suites that was held in 2000 in Amsterdam are very much piece meal.

Let's look at the book ends of the live orchestral performances and see how that fits in.

First LA Philharmonic Contempo 1970 conducted by Zubin Mehta. There was not even a group The Mothers Of Invention when the LA Philharmonic project was in the making. The Mothers had disbanded close to a year beforehand. Based on FZs commentary in The Real Frank Zappa Book it seems more-so the LA Phil wanted the rock band/orchestra event than Frank had. Frank may very well have wanted the event to be orchestral but anyhow, Frank quickly put a "Mothers-Of-Invention-Sort-Of-Group" together. As far as what score existed? The character roles were not finalized at this point. Of note Mark Volman and Howard Kayland met FZ backstage after the concert and informed FZ they liked the show and that The Turtles had split. The point being here is that Frank had orchestral scores he had written over the years and the frame-work of touring on the road for 5 years was very much part of the story of 200 Motels.

By the time filming started Frank had several hundred pages of a shooting manuscript. How much of the 200 plus pages is actual orchestral score manuscript is hard for the observer to make a call on but character roles are very much a part of the score. So much of that shooting manuscript never made it into the films.

"Danger Will Robinson"..... For the sake of keeping things simplified in this post there is no need to over-anaylze each and every character role but it is clear that 200 Motels : 13 Suites in Amsterdam back in 2000 was not the entire orchestral enchilada with the hot sauce. Frank's commentary in The Real Frank Zappa Book should also raise an eyebrow as to the initial intent of not even having a rock band as part of the 200 Motels Contempo 70 performance. Sure there is some rocking out on the 2LP and films but the orchestral score may very well deservedly be adapted to focus on the orchestral elements and character roles.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:31 pm 

about 12 seats left, looks like it's going to be sold out. counting the day's down :-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:26 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
At times fans and critics tend to get far too subjective with the composers work. In pertaining to Franks orchestral score for 200 Motels we should keep an open mind of accepting this is a world premiere.
. . .
Frank's commentary in The Real Frank Zappa Book should also raise an eyebrow as to the initial intent of not even having a rock band as part of the 200 Motels Contempo 70 performance. Sure there is some rocking out on the 2LP and films but the orchestral score may very well deservedly be adapted to focus on the orchestral elements and character roles.

Aren't you being too subjective yourself? Since Zappa is not around to declare his intentions, I am not so interested in the "premiere" aspect. It is a bit meaningless. When did Zappa premiere "Inca Roads"? Does the vocal version count here (Duke et al)? Was it not intended first as an instrumental (Duke, Ponty et al)? Or even before that as something else (Flo, Eddie et al)?. And so on, and on. Zappa evolved.

The important thing is that Zappa's music is played. "Strictly Genteel", btw, also recently got its world premiere in a version for 6-piece rock band (by ZPZ with only 4-5 melodic instruments in play).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:25 am 

This concert is now sold out...
13 day's and counting...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:11 am 

Diva Zappa just added to cast - but playing Groupie 2 (Lucy) over here. And also, Tony Guilfoyle (accident-prone Father Larry Duff from TV comedy Father Ted) will play Frank.

www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:26 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
This should be a great event, and possibly material for a release of some kind 8)

Mr Thunes has confirmed that these events are being recorded.

www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:31 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
Diva Zappa just added to cast - but playing Groupie 2 (Lucy) over here. And also, Tony Guilfoyle (accident-prone Father Larry Duff from TV comedy Father Ted) will play Frank.

Do you think Frank would approve of his youngest daughter portraying a slut?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:36 am 

The forthcoming UK premiere was mentioned on radio 4 this morning just before the 8 o'clock news 8)
"Over 40 years since it was originally banned by the Albert Hall....." I knew straight away what it was about. They then played a snippet of that tight assed old woman who objected to the lyrics.....
I got to work before the end of the headlines so didn't hear what else they had to say about it but it's always great to hear "Frank Zappa" on the radio. Especially in Sarah Montague's voice.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next