Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 177  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:29 pm 

Jeez, he was so young! I was just looking at some pix of Glenn Leonard, me and KUIII in Shasta. CA. '08-'09? What a bummer man, I'm shocked! Didn't see that one coming at all and he was such a nice guy too! Damn shame. He was married to the xylophonist gal wasn't he? Some of those pixs are on DZW in my pictures page, if you want to see Glenn in action. No mo Pojama People...No mo news letter... He was such a great fan of Franks music too. I'll miss him. :cry: :( :cry:

Joe Ambrosia who was Charleston, SC's premiere Jazz trumpeter and who also worked with FZ has passed away. (Yahoo! news flash) He was 71, terminally ill with lung cancer and in prison for a drug trafficking charge. He passed on 9/12.
His name really doesn't ring a bell with me. Anyone know in what capacity he worked with FZ? :?

EDIT on 9/24:What? Nobody reads The Dead page anymore???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:56 pm 

Crap, I just saw that Glenn died. What a shocker. As KK said he was a real nice guy. Real sweet and funny. He told me the story of moving to the west coast to marry Ali when KK and I met him in '09. I've followed him on Facebook since then and recently he had proudly been posting photos of him performing at the latest Zappanale with Robert Martin and other alumni. He also loved cats and his Philly sports teams. He seemed like such a happy guy living the life he wanted to live. He should have had another 20 or 30 years of it at least.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:02 am 

I've had a look through a few of the FZ books and can't find the late Joe Ambrosia listed. However I still have a couple of others to check, I'll get back to you one way or the other KK. Mr. GreenGenes or Slime O may Know though bro....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:21 am 

KUIII wrote:
Crap, I just saw that Glenn died. What a shocker. As KK said he was a real nice guy. Real sweet and funny. He told me the story of moving to the west coast to marry Ali when KK and I met him in '09. I've followed him on Facebook since then and recently he had proudly been posting photos of him performing at the latest Zappanale with Robert Martin and other alumni. He also loved cats and his Philly sports teams. He seemed like such a happy guy living the life he wanted to live. He should have had another 20 or 30 years of it at least.

Did he and Ali ever have any kids? I don't remember, but I'm not on Facebook either. I thought he was younger than me and shoulda' had a lot more time here. At least he made it to this years Zappanale and was living his dream. 8) :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:31 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Did he and Ali ever have any kids? I don't remember, but I'm not on Facebook either. I thought he was younger than me and shoulda' had a lot more time here. At least he made it to this years Zappanale and was living his dream. 8) :(

I'm pretty sure no kids. They had cats. He was only 53.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:21 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I'm pretty sure no kids. They had cats. He was only 53.

So young, thanx manx. :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:54 am 

Novelist Tom Clancy, 66...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:43 am 

I never read a book of Tom Glancy (and probably never will) but he loaned his name for a number of video games that all have something to do with war or espionage. One of this games is called ghost recon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy%27s_Ghost_Recon_(video_game) and this is my favourite video game (the first version for PC with the additional mission packs desert siege and island thunder). I played it hundreds of times and am probably one of the few persons left on this planet who still plays it (it's from 2001). This made the name Tom Glancy very familiar for me. RIP even if your books probably aint really worth to read.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:20 pm 

At one point his name became a brand and he didn't write anymore. So I would say most of the later Clancy novels he had nothing to do with, except lending his name.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:18 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
At one point his name became a brand and he didn't write anymore. So I would say most of the later Clancy novels he had nothing to do with, except lending his name.

Was that before or after the success of Red October? That's when his name became familiar to me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:28 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Was that before or after the success of Red October? That's when his name became familiar to me.

I believe it was after.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:20 pm 

You will be sadly missed my friend Pope Jim. Image

"We just want to let Jim Wilson's friends and family know that on September 29, 2013 he passed away. We are very sad and distressed in the loss of our father, brother, grandfather, uncle, and friend! He is so loved and will be greatly missed. In time we will update you with a date for a celebration of life and a Facebook page in memorial of Jim. Peace and love "
Here is Jim's page on FB if anyone is interested in following along to to the soon to be created memorial page for him.
you will be sorely missed Jim.
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.568632

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:41 am 

Wow Trip sad sad news indeed, the forum will miss his Popeness and his humour....

RIP P Jimmy :cry:

PS I've had an outrageous lie (saga) prepared awaiting a Papal post for a day or two, I wondered where he had got to :shock:

Thanks for the facebook link

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:54 am 

Jim Wilson was a very cool ZappaFreak, shit, I'll miss his humor. I didn't know he was sick. I'm stunned. El Bummo man, he will be missed. He hated me sayin' that, called it my "mantra". I'm sad to be able to use it on the Pope one last time and I'll smoke a toke for Pope Jim before bed. Gonna miss ya buddy!!!

Glenn now Jim, two great ZappaFreaks went to meet FZ this week. Hope there won't be three. :cry:

It doesn't say anything on that link about this. Just a picture and some friends FB style etcetera. Do you have to belong to Fecesbook to read further? Send condolences? Find out wtf happended. :?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:16 am 

That is really, really sad. My condolences to his family. Could you pass them on Trip? He was one of my favourite forumers and I shall miss him a lot here. He had a great sense of humour and a fine mind.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:49 am 

Horrible, poor Pope Jim... My condolences to his family and all of you who'll miss him...
Can he get a separate thread?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:56 am 

Condolences to friends and family who may read this. Pope Jim was a funny man and his posts provided a respite to the workaday world. That's worth a TON.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:47 am 

Terrible, sad news. Condolences to all who knew him, whether in person or not.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:53 am 

I am deeply shocked. My sincere heartfelt condolences for his close friends and family.

Somehow, it is what I consider each active member of this site to be, in some weird kind of way.

I am glad I met him here, he was a charming member and will be thoroughly missed.

RIP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:42 am 

RIP Jim. You will be missed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:35 am 

Pope Jim wrote:
Twinkies

As good a place as any to end it, I suppose.

Rest in peace...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:10 pm 

I am stunned, I have been distracted the last couple of days due to Mrs.Plook having issues...in my weakened state this crushes me, I just had lunch with Pope Jim a few weeks ago, we had a great time...I don't know what to say other than he was a really nice man and my Family will pray for him and his Family... :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:48 pm 

i'm more of a hardcore lurker around here but i always enjoyed Pope Jim's comments (in particular his "love" of Trendy). this doesn't feel very good. may he rest peacefully.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:12 pm 

Goodnight, Pope Jim. It's heartbreaking to see you go.

To everyone who was close to him- I am sorry for your loss.

Post subject: Re: pope jim just died
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:12 pm 

rest in peace, pope jim.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 177  Next