Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:46 am 

Trendy, I doubt you will believe me but....
Thank you for a well thought-out post. I have nothing negative to say. I'll have to pull out my old copy of the True Story of 200 Motels, its been too long.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:40 pm 

Too bad the UK(1971) concert got cancelled. Frank never got an apology.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 4380,d.cGE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:33 am 

just read this on the official "performances" page:
* There will also be a presentation of Drool, Britannia by Frank Zappa prior to the show.
Details to be announced.

which, I imagine, is someone reading FZs book.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:08 am 

What a great read, all 5 pages of it.
Or, well, some of all of the 5 pages anyway.

I hope those that scored tix enjoy the hell out of this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:57 am 

SouthBank Centre Frank Zappa:200 Motels Page
http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whatso ... tels-71696

Folks can take a look at the SouthBank Centre Frank Zappa:200 Motels Page to get a broader perspective on the character roles.

There is no need for me to reiterate my previous dialogue but I will state that there are more surprises in store.....

Goodnight John Bonham wherever you are.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:12 am 

The orchestra will be doing more, the orchestra will be doing more, the orchestra will be doing more, it's a f*&^%$# orchestra it'll be doing what an orchestra does, playing music....If you are lucky enough to be going to see 200 motels performed by a philharmonic orchestra, would you really expect to see a rock band, really.....

Sorry Trendy but your making me sleepy...mind you it is 4:12am

just forget I said any thing

"Am I a fan, or a so-called fan?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:48 am 

http://www.laphil.com/tickets/10th-anni ... 2013-10-23

Artists

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Esa-Pekka Salonen, conductor
James Darrah, director
Emily Anne MacDonald, scenic and properties designer
Cameron Jaye Mock, scenic and lighting designer
Chrisi Karvonides , costume designer
Adeline Newmann, video designer
Vanessa Dionne, wig designer
John Garofalo, associate lighting designer
Rebecca Guzzi, assistant costume designer
Los Angeles Master Chorale, Grant Gershon, music director

Cast:
Jeff Taylor, Larry the Dwarf
Michael Des Barres, Rance
Matt Marks, Mark
Zach Villa, Howard
Rich Fulcher, Cowboy Burt
Hila Plitmann, Soprano Solo
Joel David Moore, Frank
Joe Fria, Jeff
Ann Cusack, Donovan/Good Conscience
Alan Ruck, Ginger/Bad Conscience
Diva Zappa, Janet
Sheila Vand, Lucy

EDIT NOTE: Visit the 10TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION: Green Umbrella: Zappa's 200 Motels page for Artist and Cast BIO's...
and but also, stay tuned for more of the expected unexpected.

Goodnight John Bonham Wherever You Are!

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:33 am 

I've been sick for the last couple days... but seeing Diva's name in the list to play Janet woke me up a bit! Also interesting is John and Joan Cusack's sister as well as Ferris Buehler's best friend! Hahahaha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:47 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I've been sick for the last couple days... but seeing Diva's name in the list to play Janet woke me up a bit! Also interesting is John and Joan Cusack's sister as well as Ferris Buehler's best friend! Hahahaha

I do hope you get well soon. In addition to the really fine selection of artist and cast that have been published, I do encourage you to stay tuned for more of the expected unexpected. In addition to where the character roles are healing quite nicely, I encourage you to think along the lines of an issue previously mentioned..., percussive things in nature. Percussion in the form of a drum set always fit in well with FZs orchestral scores...... John Bonham will not be making an appearance with the LA Philharmonic and BBC Concert Orchestra's.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:23 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
John Bonham will not be making an appearance with the LA Philharmonic and BBC Concert Orchestras.

I understand Scott Thunes will, though.

"Remarkable in detail and interview, an unexpected and invaluable look at a such an important and ill-fated moment in Frank's career."

www.idiotbastard.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:19 pm 

Yippie!

This just in! A cast of renowned soloists and a band that includes Ian Underwood of Zappa’s The Mothers of Invention, Zappa friends and collaborators Scott Thunes, Joe Travers, and Jamie Kime will join us for the world premiere of the iconic musician’s “200 Motels.” The performance, which will mark the opening of Walt Disney Concert Hall 10 years ago, will be the first complete realization of Zappa’s musical vision.

http://laphil.com/200Motels

I knew they wouldn't let us down!

Last edited by coevad on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:29 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
John Bonham will not be making an appearance with the LA Philharmonic and BBC Concert Orchestras.

I understand Scott Thunes will, though.

Keith Moon won't make it either (why all this talk about John Bonham? What did I miss?).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:25 pm 

It's just as if Donovan himself had appeared on my very own TV with words of peace, love, and eternal cosmic wisdom.

Where's my waitress?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:16 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:20 am 

I knew you'd be surprised............

O.K. folks you can let go of it now.

DweezilZappaWorld community member DaveOC reports that a "A cast of renowned soloists and a band" will be part of the the The Concert 200 MOTELS - The Suites world premier at Walt Disney Concert Hall.

If the above report is true(the LA Philharmonic website does not as of yet confirm this), as Frank had done, "by putting together an interim one-shot 'Mothers-Of-Invention-Sort-Of-Group"(The Real Frank Zappa Book).... In a given context the ORCHESTRA and ROCK BAND will rock out together.

"There was a 'catch,' though--the orchestra didn't really want to play the stuff--they wanted AN EVENT; something 'unique'--like--uhh, maybe a ROCK GROUP and--uhhhhh--a REAL ORCHESTRA sort of--uhhh--well you know--'rocking out together.' It didn't matter what the music was. (The Real Frank Zappa Book)

This was always quite different than the orchestras of the last several decades that get involved in marshmallow orchestral arrangements of rock music. While fans can argue that this will be a rock band up on the stage performing in the program, the cohabitation will not affect the orchestral score.

I stand by my previous commentary that the orchestra will be doing more for it is clearly the foundation of the composers intent.... and but also, John Bonham was from England so keep the previous clues of that percussive side of the equation in tact. Does this news have anything to do with Joe Travers ability to clone John Bonham and every drummer that has ever played for FZ? You betcha!

DaveOC wrote on Oct 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM

This just in! A cast of renowned soloists and a band that includes Ian Underwood of Zappa’s The Mothers of Invention, Zappa friends and collaborators Scott Thunes, Joe Travers, and Jamie Kime will join us for the world premiere of the iconic musician’s “200 Motels.” The performance, which will mark the opening of Walt Disney Concert Hall 10 years ago, will be the first complete realization of Zappa’s musical vision.

http://laphil.com/200Motels

DZW GROUP 200 Motels World Premieres
http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/groups/1963468

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Last edited by Trendmonger on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:39 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
This was always quite different than the orchestras of the last several decades that get involved in marshmallow orchestral arrangements of rock music. While fans can argue that this will be a rock band up on the stage performing in the program, the cohabitation will not affect the orchestral score.

I stand by my previous commentary that the orchestra will be doing more for it is clearly the foundation of the composers intent.... and but also, John Bonham was from England so keep the previous clues of that percussive side of the equation in tact. Does this news have anything to do with Joe Travers ability to clone John Bonham and every drummer that has ever played for FZ? You betcha!

As you noted elsewhere, fans are subjective. You prove that clearly. And no problems with that. Without Zappa being alive, we do not know whether this arrangement reflects his intent (which, as I stated in the other thread, lucky evolved and evolved).
http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24773&start=25#p601493

(We will never know either if he would call Travers et al for a "rock band" or something fancier.)

Wasn't Keith Moon English as well?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:37 am 

HJ wrote:
(We will never know either if he would call Travers et al for a "rock band" or something fancier.)

Wasn't Keith Moon English as well?

1) "Now Dweezil's got himslef a drummer!" - Frank Zappa's commentary to Warren Cuccurullo.

The above statement was made by Frank Zappa after he heard Joe Travers perform at his premier concert with Z at The Viper Room in L.A. At the time Frank made the statement,(to name a few) Chad Wackerman, Aynsley Dunbar and Josh Freese had occupied the drum chair for Dweezil Zappa. After the show Joe met Warren backstage. Joe's work with Zappa Plays Zappa & Warren Cucurullo(Solo, Duran Duran, Chicanery) are but a part of Joe's many fine contributions to music. While Joe has and is involved in many fine musical projects, the context of "are but a part... are more-so integral factors of really fine contributions, by a really fine drummer, that Frank Zappa had a lot of respect for. Surely Frank was not here to see many of these contributions but what Frank had witnessed made a significant impact for him to make the quoted statement. The history of Joe's performance speaks for itself.... and if I might add, dateline April 2006, Paul Green's(School Of Rock) views proved that Paul knew little to nothing about analysing talent.

2) Yes, and but also, Joe Travers does a really fine job at cloning Keith Moon. During Joe's tenure with Zappa Plays Zappa Dweezil would give a hand cue where Joe would play like the raging Moon. Not so sure as to how many times the "Play like Keith Moon" motif occurred at ZPZ shows but I was fortunate to witness this(Bridgeport, CT Jul, 21, 2012).

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Last edited by Trendmonger on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:16 am 

I forgot to mention that I discovered the info for my previous post from LA Phil's official facebook page.

Ian Robertson Underwood (born May 22, 1939) is a woodwind and keyboards player, perhaps best known for his work with Frank Zappa.

I sure hope Ian plays both!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:47 am 

coevad wrote:
I forgot to mention that I discovered the info for my previous post from LA Phil's official facebook page.

Ian Robertson Underwood (born May 22, 1939) is a woodwind and keyboards player, perhaps best known for his work with Frank Zappa.

I sure hope Ian plays both!

I would not take the "one-shot 'Mothers-Of-Invention-Sort-Of-Group" all that literally. The so called Rock side is flexible. I don't believe it is written specifically for 4 piece rock ensemble to play along with the orchestra, choral group and cast. While I was aware of some of the musicianship I was always saying it would take time for the cast to be finalized.

Deservedly so the marque until now has been "The Orchestra". Frank is getting his due where the orchestra was his vision and the rock ensemble was seemingly added for the initial 200 Motels sort of tasting event back in 1970. Contempo as it was, by no means was that event the full orchestral enchilada. I am not trying to be downtrodden on the so called rock-side-Mothers-Of-Invention-Sort-Of-Group that appeared then, in the film, at the suites in 2000 or will appear now. It's good god damn deserved that FZ orchestral side is getting attention. If Ian can make it for 200 Motels The Suites with the BBC Orchestra that would be great but I apply just as much credence factor to each and every participant involved in the entire production. I do expect some if not all of those rock cats to make it overseas and I'll leave it at that. Speaking of Ian overseas, it was unfortunate he could not make it to the Roundhouse last time so this very well could help mend that, and but also, some optimism on the side, for all the lost hope from that Roundhouse marque billing was unfortunate. Notably there is no mention of the real Jeff Simmons. No need for anyone to get out the denture cream for things will be what they will be.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:18 am 

Keep your eyes pealed for more exciting info.

Goodnight George Duke, wherever you are!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:40 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
The so called Rock side is flexible. I don't believe it is written specifically for 4 piece rock ensemble to play along with the orchestra, choral group and cast. While I was aware of some of the musicianship I was always saying it would take time for the cast to be finalized.

So you were aware that Zappa's intent would not be followed? Or are you just, as usual, making everything fit into your vision of Zappa's intent as you go along as always (adding your inside knowledge, which is after all is not really interesting)? Nobody knows what Zappa would have wanted today. Maybe he wouldn't have had Joe? Maybe he would. It doesn't matter. What matters is that Zappa's music is performed by competent people.

All your subjective talk about honoring his intent is getting more and more empty as time passes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:12 pm 

Organus Maximus

http://youtu.be/z9sIppy9xl0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:24 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
Now Dweezil's got himslef a drummer!" - Frank Zappa's commentary to Warren Cuccurullo.

The above statement was made by Frank Zappa after he heard Joe Travers perform at his premier concert with Z at The Viper Room in L.A.

You often seem to use statements by other people to try to convince us that we should adopt the same view point as the person you're quoting. It's sort of like second hand peer pressure or something.

You know what would be nice, Trendmonger? Letting people experience Zappa on their own terms.

Trendmonger wrote:
Joe Travers does a really fine job at cloning Keith Moon. During Joe's tenure with Zappa Plays Zappa Dweezil would give a hand cue where Joe would play like the raging Moon.

I'm sure it's the highlight of any drummers life to be able to wait for Dweezil to give you a hand signal so you can go ahead and play like Keith Moon for a brief moment.
I bet Townsend never gave Moon any hand signals (at least not those kind). According to Townsend, Moon was not too concerned with the composers intent.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:44 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I'm sure it's the highlight of any drummers life to be able to wait for Dweezil to give you a hand signal so you can go ahead and play like Keith Moon for a brief moment.
I bet Townsend never gave Moon any hand signals (at least not those kind). According to Townsend, Moon was not too concerned with the composers intent.

Haha. You're darn tootin' there! Moon was a maniac and not someone you could "play like"...and I mean that lovingly!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:37 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
Now Dweezil's got himslef a drummer!" - Frank Zappa's commentary to Warren Cuccurullo.

The above statement was made by Frank Zappa after he heard Joe Travers perform at his premier concert with Z at The Viper Room in L.A.

You often seem to use statements by other people to try to convince us that we should adopt the same view point as the person you're quoting. It's sort of like second hand peer pressure or something.

So stupid. Trendonger implies that Frank was saying Joe is a better, or equally skilled drummer than the 3 gentlemen mentioned. It has nothing to do with that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next