Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:22 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
I think it's insane for anyone to wish for Dweezil to actually stop playing FZ's music and hence effectively end Zappa Plays Zappa. I definitely don't think they've run their course. Sure, ZPZ could've tackled more of the '80s catalogue, etc. (and hopefully they will soon), since their setlists of the past year or two weren't as challenging as compared to their setlists of the first couple of years. But wanting DZ to stop playing FZ's music live? I don't think so. I mean, who the hell else is going to lead an official representation of FZ's music live, let alone pull it off?! And to be perfectly honest, a DZ solo tour wouldn't draw very well (we're talking a couple of hundred fans per night, tops) since his solo albums haven't sold that well for a variety a reasons and not necessarily because they aren't good. Personally, I don't dig any pre-2000 DZ or Z material. But his two most recent releases, Automatic and Go With What You Know are good albums. And this is partly because Dweezil has worked extremely hard at learning several different guitar techniques (sweep, economy and hybrid picking, etc.) that are crucial to properly executing FZ's music on guitar, not to mention developing his own distinctive style, as opposed to his outdated '80s/'90s Eddie Van Halen technique...but also because I believe he's vastly improved as a songwriter. And as far as I know, he's planning to at least make a few more albums of new music in the future, even if he doesn't tour them because of commercial reasons beyond his control. Lastly, every one of us has faults and Dweezil is no different. Yes, he comes off as arrogant sometimes when it comes to dealing with FZ cover band issues, etc. But so what? We all have things in our lives that we feel more strongly about than others (beliefs, morals, etc.). We ALL slip from time to time...

I don't necessarily want DZ to disband ZPZ just would like him to do something else, too. I've expressed my waning interest in ZPZ on another thread and had some suggestions on how to spice things up. To put it bluntly, my biggest problem with ZPZ nowadays is Ben Thomas. I thought he might grow on me but he hasn't. He's the fly in the soup. I know the soup is really good, but please bring me another bowl without the fly in it. Because of that it's kinda hard to get excited about ZPZ anymore, fine company notwithstanding.

I have to agree that Ben as nice as he is, has run his course and either needs a second lead or replaced, but maybe DZ is reluctent to do so as Ben was there in his time of need.

I have a great idea for DZ to incorporate his none ZPZ stuff into the show. Simple be the openning act for ZPZ, form the Dweezil Zappa band and open with his solo work and new material and then bring out ZPZ. It wouldn't require a stage change if he just used Joe for Drummer and Pete on Bass (good power trio there). If they wanted other members could join in for different songs, say 1 hour DZ band and 2 hours ZPZ, that is close to their current show lenght, I would go in a heart beat!
:smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:43 pm 

Plook wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
I think it's insane for anyone to wish for Dweezil to actually stop playing FZ's music and hence effectively end Zappa Plays Zappa. I definitely don't think they've run their course. Sure, ZPZ could've tackled more of the '80s catalogue, etc. (and hopefully they will soon), since their setlists of the past year or two weren't as challenging as compared to their setlists of the first couple of years. But wanting DZ to stop playing FZ's music live? I don't think so. I mean, who the hell else is going to lead an official representation of FZ's music live, let alone pull it off?! And to be perfectly honest, a DZ solo tour wouldn't draw very well (we're talking a couple of hundred fans per night, tops) since his solo albums haven't sold that well for a variety a reasons and not necessarily because they aren't good. Personally, I don't dig any pre-2000 DZ or Z material. But his two most recent releases, Automatic and Go With What You Know are good albums. And this is partly because Dweezil has worked extremely hard at learning several different guitar techniques (sweep, economy and hybrid picking, etc.) that are crucial to properly executing FZ's music on guitar, not to mention developing his own distinctive style, as opposed to his outdated '80s/'90s Eddie Van Halen technique...but also because I believe he's vastly improved as a songwriter. And as far as I know, he's planning to at least make a few more albums of new music in the future, even if he doesn't tour them because of commercial reasons beyond his control. Lastly, every one of us has faults and Dweezil is no different. Yes, he comes off as arrogant sometimes when it comes to dealing with FZ cover band issues, etc. But so what? We all have things in our lives that we feel more strongly about than others (beliefs, morals, etc.). We ALL slip from time to time...

I don't necessarily want DZ to disband ZPZ just would like him to do something else, too. I've expressed my waning interest in ZPZ on another thread and had some suggestions on how to spice things up. To put it bluntly, my biggest problem with ZPZ nowadays is Ben Thomas. I thought he might grow on me but he hasn't. He's the fly in the soup. I know the soup is really good, but please bring me another bowl without the fly in it. Because of that it's kinda hard to get excited about ZPZ anymore, fine company notwithstanding.

I have to agree that Ben as nice as he is, has run his course and either needs a second lead or replaced, but maybe DZ is reluctent to do so as Ben was there in his time of need.

I have a great idea for DZ to incorporate his none ZPZ stuff into the show. Simple be the openning act for ZPZ, form the Dweezil Zappa band and open with his solo work and new material and then bring out ZPZ. It wouldn't require a stage change if he just used Joe for Drummer and Pete on Bass (good power trio there). If they wanted other members could join in for different songs, say 1 hour DZ band and 2 hours ZPZ, that is close to their current show lenght, I would go in a heart beat!

That's a good idea Plook. When I saw Todd Rundgren a while back he did much the same thing. He opened for himself as Todd Rundgren's Johnson (playing all Robert Johnson songs) with just a second guitar, bass, and drums. Then his full 7-piece (I think) band played A Wizard, A True Star as the headliner.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:58 pm 

Plook wrote:

As long as it doesn't cut that much into ZPZ's regular set time of about 2 1/2 hours, I think that's a fantastic idea! Hopefully Dweezil will consider this...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:22 pm 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
maybe he could do ZPZ every other year or something.

I love Shampoo Horn. I need to get Music for Pets.

Yes,Dweez and Ahmet were doing great things there. Why'd they stop?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:35 pm 

The only fault I see with ZPZ shows is that it's all mostly vocal tracks,...and not a lot of surprising song selections. I sure wish ZPZ played some long,jam oriented Zappa songs....like King Kong, Little House I Used to Live In,etc. But ,for me,that's been my personal sticking point with the shows and releases,.....that the songs don't take the unexpected left-turns Frank would have steered a band into. But,...hey,that was FRANK and not Dweez. So,maybe they just couldn't force or practice that into happening. But I do think to have a set of new songs intersperced into the sets would be a cool thing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:01 pm 

penguini wrote:
The only fault I see with ZPZ shows is that it's all mostly vocal tracks,...and not a lot of surprising song selections. I sure wish ZPZ played some long,jam oriented Zappa songs....like King Kong, Little House I Used to Live In,etc. But ,for me,that's been my personal sticking point with the shows and releases,.....that the songs don't take the unexpected left-turns Frank would have steered a band into. But,...hey,that was FRANK and not Dweez. So,maybe they just couldn't force or practice that into happening. But I do think to have a set of new songs intersperced into the sets would be a cool thing.

I saw them do King Kong with Les Claypol on New Years Eve, they also have don Big swifty RDNZL, as well as other jams... I find that to be their strongest point...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:51 am 

Plook wrote:
penguini wrote:

I saw them do King Kong with Les Claypol on New Years Eve, they also have don Big swifty RDNZL, as well as other jams... I find that to be their strongest point...

Wow! Nice! I guess then what I would like is maybe an all instrumental Cd or album release. That might cement that side of their performance to the (lyric-less) musically obsessive fans among us ? I know it would be an exciting release in my eyes!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:40 am 

penguini wrote:
Plook wrote:
penguini wrote:

Wow! Nice! I guess then what I would like is maybe an all instrumental Cd or album release. That might cement that side of their performance to the (lyric-less) musically obsessive fans among us ? I know it would be an exciting release in my eyes!

They could do that, they opened their show in December with Gumbo Variations, wow!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:50 pm 

Hey there is an idea! an instrumental ZPZ album!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:35 am 

Huck_Phlem wrote:

What about Ben?...lead tambourine?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:38 pm 

Plook wrote:
Huck_Phlem wrote:

What about Ben?...lead tambourine?

Maybe Dweezil could give him a little break so he could go back to his career in community theater. Maybe he'd fall in love with acting again and give up music. :D :twisted: God, I can be so mean sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:14 am 

Ben plays trumpet. And I love Ben, he's a great singer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:18 am 

BBP wrote:
Ben plays trumpet. And I love Ben, he's a great singer.

Ben's ok. He's my third favorite lead singer in the history of ZPZ.

Post subject: Re: dweezil zappa
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:06 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
ok, so dweezil is not the great composer his dad was. so what?

I think we should give dweezil a break. not one of us can even begin to imagine what it's like to be the son (or daughter) of someone like frank zappa.

I have to admit that I haven't bought any of the zappa plays zappa-cds or dvds, but I still think dweezil is doing a great job in keeping frank zappa's legacy alive*.

being the son of frank and still have the courage to embark on such a venture is impressive and worth all the encouragement it can get.

*I saw zpz in philadelphia 2006, and it was great.

yep i am very proud of what Dweezil have done, and since he's learning how to edit film i am more excited.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:06 pm 

I think Ben is a fine singer but I really don't like the way he puts his spin on Zappa Tunes! I don't plan on seeing ZPZ if he is the singer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:39 pm 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
I think Ben is a fine singer but I really don't like the way he puts his spin on Zappa Tunes! I don't plan on seeing ZPZ if he is the singer.

That might be a good way of putting it. I don't care for his comedic reinterpretation of the material. I'll still go if it's close by or if there's some other attractions (such as RTF this time around).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:39 am 

I wish Dweezil all the best and a successful solo career, but it's not really that high on my Wish List. Cool violin tone on The Gumbo Variations, though!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:31 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Can he really play this backwards?

That's easy ... if you can score something, you can turn it backwards easily enough and play it after a little practice!

Honestly, if Dweezil was good enough, and confident about what he could do or create, he would have done it already. I seriously doubt that he has the ability to create something new ... that is not a copy of what he has been playing already.

He's not exactly showing a whole lot of independence or individuality in his shows with ZPZ.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:10 am 

Dweezil is still young. He's maturing musically and will eventually make his own mark. He's an intelligent guy and talented. Takes time. Maybe even takes a lifetime.

How would any of us act if Frank were our dad? I know I would truly be the Arrogant Bastard Son.

Not fair to compare Dweezil with Frank. Not fair to compare anyone else with Frank. He was unique and his music stands alone.

100 years from now smart college guys will still be writing 400 page dissertations trying to explain what Frank was doing with notes. 100 years from now when they consider Frank's total creative output, they may not even believe he was one person.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:43 am 

What do you mean "still young"? Dweezil will be (does math) 44 tomorrow. Frank had less than a decade left at that age and a number of fans would say he was past his prime at that part in his career.

I think Dweezil could be a good composer, if he spent as much time composing as he does playing his chops. And I wish he did: just playing Inca Roads over and over: sorry, it'll never be as good as on the original record, no matter how good the soloing. His chop skill is pretty much useless unless he is in a band that makes original music.
Sorta like when I successfully studied all 15 verses of the Dutch national anthem. I know them all, with the verses being as old as they are it's not easy to understand, but I managed to put it all in my head.
...Thing is... I can't sing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:16 pm 

Dweezil isn't a composer. If he were, he would be doing it. True composers or song writers have brains that automatically and continually spew forth musical ideas and the urge to document them. They can't help it. It's just a matter of reaching out and plucking them from the stream. Dweezil's a player, not a writer.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:28 pm 

The world is his oyster. He's talented enough to pull any career off!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:24 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

I think he should pull off Jerry Garcia's career. After he's done with his father's. I'd like to see him pull off the '83-'84 years, including the schedule, the drugs and the diet. I wonder how he'd do on the Stella Blue outro solos?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:29 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I think he should pull off Jerry Garcia's career. After he's done with his father's. I'd like to see him pull off the '83-'84 years, including the schedule, the drugs and the diet. I wonder how he'd do on the Stella Blue outro solos?

Gosh, I would think great! What a lovely step down to be able to uncompicated songs instead of the complicated Zappa stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:47 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Dweezil, if you put your mind to it you can do anything you want. You could even be the President of the United States.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next